Milestone - Influence What Comes Next

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Which Milestone game is your favorite?

Chaos Field
41%
illvelo
7%
Karous
13%
Radirgy
35%
Radirgy Noa
4%

Total votes: 75

Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Milestone - Influence What Comes Next

Post by Shou »

Continuing from the last survey, this time we are talking about Milestone. The company itself has been lost to time but its DNA lives on...

Which of their games did you like the best and why?
If they produced a new title, what would you want to see?

...STG Renaissance is coming...

EDIT:

DNA includes k.h.d.n.
Last edited by Shou on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
become history
cj iwakura

Re: Milestone - Influence What Comes Next

Post by cj iwakura »

I still haven't gotten to play Noa. :( I love Radio Allergy's style, though. It's like if the Jet Set Radio team made a shmup, very one-of-a-kind.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
qmish

Post by qmish »

Illmatic Envelope aka Illvelo is most fun to me due to all those mini-stages and eccentric presentation.

Can't mention Milestone without talking about k.h.d.n. soundtracks - Chaos Field and Karous especially, i treat them very high as great electronic music, full of energy. Other titles also have excellent tracks. Techno/breakbeat/d'n'b/idm/breakcore/garage goodness.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Yooooo now this is seriously hype!!! :O It was a tough call between Radirgy or Chaos Field but had to pick Chaos Field in the end...
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

This is what I call a suprise. Radirgy and Karous is some of my favorite. Glad to see that Milestone gets some love.

Awaiting for KAI to top my love for Milestone.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Same here loved Radirgy and Karous but the former for the fun sword/absnet system and fresh style, the latter mainly for the atmosphere.

Missed the opportunity to play Noa and Illvelo though...

Man Milestone making a comeback is great news!
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
ciox

Post by ciox »

Chaos Field with proper stages between bosses and improved graphics.
Ship balance could perhaps be improved too, the two ships that aren't HAL (Red/Yellow) seem to have a pretty haphazard design to their special weapons.
KAI

Post by KAI »

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE! <3 <3 <3

Give me a Radirgy with Karous-like power up mechanics and I will have you babies! Also, no collision damage or gtfo.

Who's gonna be in charge of this, k.h.d.n.? I love their music, but those 3DS games they produced were kinda crappy.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Radirgy is fantastic. The ABS net is just so satisfying when properly used. Noa, on the other hand, didn't do much for me.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

I thought Milestone was shutdown after the CEO got jailed for financial fraud?
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

A(nother) Milestone revival? Holy fucking shit, that sounds amazing!! :D

I voted for Radirgy but it is tied with Illvelo. Both are incredible games with tons of style, excellent music, fun weapon systems and scoring mechanics that promote aggressive play and do not get in the way of the raw fun of destroying things.

Chaos Field is not a bad game by any means, but I don't think it really represents Milestone at their Milestone-est aside from the fantastic music. The other games have heavy caravan shmup influences and are much faster-paced, while Chaos Field is essentially a boss milking + chain keeping game. The visuals are also far more generic and do not stand out as much as the cell-shaded games.

If a new Radirgy sequel is developed, be careful not to temper it with additional mechanics or changes that break the basic principles of fun that Radirgy laid out. That's what Radirgy Noa did, and that game is far less enjoyable than its predecessor. It added collision damage, removed the shield, removed the fast movement speed option, restricted the player in a smaller vertizontal format, made the ABSNet mandatory to survive some patterns, and all that made it inferior to Radirgy.

Radirgy's primary color is orange, Karous' is gray, Illvelo's is blue. Why not add another color to the Milestone cell-shaded universe? Optimally, I think I would prefer a game in a new setting that shares the visual style that Milestone is known for and features another variation on the Shot+Sword+Bomb+Shield formula while still retaining all the caravan influences in its scoring system, enemy waves design and boss design. Otherwise, a sequel to an already existing game would always be compared to it. I am not against a sequel of course, but it is harder to make one that is just as fun if not more than the predecessor than making a new game with the freedom to explore a new variation on the weapon and scoring systems their games usually have.
KAI wrote:Give me a Radirgy with Karous-like power up mechanics and I will have you babies!
I realize that some of the games have some RPG influences with the weapon leveling system, but the Karous one is way too restrictive IMO. Illvelo managed to make it work by untying it from the scoring so that I can focus on the modules and the shield if I want, and also by making the weapons enjoyable to use even at their base power, unlike Karous' puny base weapons. I like the simplicity of Radirgy's weapon system and I wouldn't want to burden it with level-ups and other ways to artifically restrict how the player is going to use the weapons throughout his run.
Xyga wrote: Missed the opportunity to play Noa and Illvelo though...
If you have to try one of them, choose Illvelo, it really is fun and wacky. Even if you don't have a Wii, emulating Milestone Shooting Collection 2 shouldn't be an issue IMO.
Durandal wrote:I thought Milestone was shutdown after the CEO got jailed for financial fraud?
Yes, it was!
Some of the talent went on to form Sakura Flamingo Laboratory, and put out a few 3DS games (Karous-The beast of re:Eden, Radirgy DGJL and Illvelo DillinJah), as well as a X360 compilation called Sakura Flamingo Archives, but closed their doors very shortly after.
This is the endless Milestone cycle of death and rebirth! Now onto the 4th iteration~ (if we count Compile)
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

wow Chaos Field is winning
some good news for a change today :)
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Tbh i dislike the artstyle for these games so much that i wouldn't be interested in any sort of reboot or sequel for any of Milestones' games.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Shou wrote:...STG Renaissance is coming...
The only way you could be more of a tease is if you made these announcements via a cam show. :P In seriousness, eager to know more about whatever happens to come of this :)

As for the questions, I always thought Milestone's stuff was stylistically strongest when it went out on a limb a bit, as with Karous and Illvelo (I enjoyed Radirgy, but IMO it never really took full advantage of the cel-shaded look), so I'd personally like them to keep attempting visually distinct stuff, cel-shaded or not, though obviously you can't appeal only to connoisseurs of the kooky like myself. Gameplay-wise, I dug the aggressive, melee-centric, no-collision, frequent-bombing approach that became their calling card, but would submit that it did start to become a bit samey by the end (and IMO the first Radirgy remains perhaps the most solid implementation), so hopefully any future releases can expand the basic concept a bit.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Give me another Chaos Field already. I don't need no stinking "stages", I like the concept fine the way it is! Boss rush games are cool and I still think Chaos Field is one of the best.

I've been getting back into the game lately and I think I can pretty soundly beat the Hal world record (assuming VTF-INO's old score still stands).
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Wow, Milestone revival? New Takumi game next, I hope :P
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Mero

Post by Mero »

Hmm, did Heiyo Milk get any further than having a logo produced?
ciox

Post by ciox »

MathU wrote:Give me another Chaos Field already. I don't need no stinking "stages", I like the concept fine the way it is! Boss rush games are cool and I still think Chaos Field is one of the best.

I've been getting back into the game lately and I think I can pretty soundly beat the Hal world record (assuming VTF-INO's old score still stands).
Well I'm not saying the bosses aren't cool, but stages done right would go a long way to make the game more interesting, like imagine warping from Order to Chaos and only some of the enemies are able to actually follow you to Chaos like the midbosses and the bosses.

Congrats on the scoring success, I need to give this game's scoring another shot.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

I never played any game from these guys so i'll refrain from voting.
Is this developer known for any specific characteristics on the games?
eckart

Post by eckart »

Radirgy
KAI

Post by KAI »

Mantrox wrote:Is this developer known for any specific characteristics on the games?
Aside from being awesome and having the best shmup waifus, as M.Knight and BulletMagnet said, most of their games have a caravan-esque nature, and great emphasis on melee mechanics and aggressive play. This Radirgy video serves as a good example of those things.
D

Post by D »

I'd like a tate Chaos Field 2. Chaos Field did work in yoke aspect ratio, but I think it would have been way cooler in tate. Also I'd like a more traditional game style, lose the switching of weapons. I dislike that in Radient Silvergun, Thunder Force, etc.. The music would have to be very good. Perhaps if a sequel/prequel would ever be made how about a selectable ost from the start or even cooler, selectable at the start of every level!
-new Chaos Field 2 music
-legacy Chaos Field 1 music
GSK

Post by GSK »

Sequels, fine. EXA ports, don't bother--these games coasted on aesthetic but the graphics have aged incredibly poorly and the time/money spent fixing them would be better spent making new, better games. Put your resources elsewhere.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

GSK wrote:Sequels, fine. EXA ports, don't bother--these games coasted on aesthetic but the graphics have aged incredibly poorly and the time/money spent fixing them would be better spent making new, better games. Put your resources elsewhere.
No ports here.
become history
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Radirgy 2 new art style confirmed

Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I voted Chaosfield. To my surprise, so did most people.
GSK wrote:the graphics have aged incredibly poorly
Not really. They were never really "good" in the first place.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
GSK

Post by GSK »

Despatche wrote:
GSK wrote:the graphics have aged incredibly poorly
Not really. They were never really "good" in the first place.
By that I meant there was still a certain degree of novelty associated with that aesthetic back then that caused people to excuse the games' other shortcomings, but there's absolutely nothing novel about the Milestone aesthetic nowadays and I don't think anyone who doesn't already have fond memories of those games is not going to be impressed by them at all--quite the opposite, in fact, seeing as anyone can kludge their way to the same level of quality in Unity without much effort.

I'm mostly coming at this from the perspective of "would these games make EXA more desirable?" or "would anyone who isn't a middle-aged diehard look twice at these games?" and I really don't think Milestone games, old or new, fulfill either criteria. If these guys want to spend their own money to bring a new game to EXA then good luck to them but I certainly wouldn't solicit one.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Chaos Field topping the poll kinda surprises me too. I guess most of the votes are from people who don't like the Milestone art-style and chose the only game without it...or maybe it's also the game mechanics? I am not really into boss milking shmups in general so I have some difficulty really understanding Chaos Field's strengths and why it is on top on the poll, though I have to admit I didn't mind the milking that much in that game in particular, mostly due to the never-ending Field, chain and cube management.
---
Even though the cell-shading aesthetic may not seem as wild as it was back in the 00s, I don't think there are many shmups with such a visual style, so it still has a way to stand out. It may not be enough for arcade players and operators, but wouldn't a Chaos Field-inspired game have an even blander art style?
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I find the results strange too, if you know Milestone you just don't pick that one. Welp.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

so now we're actively trying to kill the exa
that was fast