XRGB-3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: XRGB-3

Post by Fudoh »

Does the neo geo mvs work fine with an xrgb-3 by now?
it's fine, but in B1 mode the XRGB will output the same refresh rate it sees on the input and wether your display will be able to show 480p59.15Hz is another question. Mine did (when I still used the XRGB-3) but introduced a framerate conversion which causes a little hiccup every once in a while.
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

This black crush I killing me, I've messed with the gamma settings all day and can't get rid of it, this is super noticeable in dark scenes in tomb raider 2, especially when I compare against screenshots of the same game in the same room online

Could the psu going bad or being faulty possibly be the cause of this? I believe I have one of the newer ones and not the fatter fist gen ones. Anyone know what's going on?
Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

To what monitor are you connectiong ? Through native VGA or some kind of converter in between ? Maybe the black crush is happening after the XRGB-3. I don't recall having any problems with this in particular.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Can the XRGB-3 AC Adapter handle being fed 115V?
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

Fudoh wrote:To what monitor are you connectiong ? Through native VGA or some kind of converter in between ? Maybe the black crush is happening after the XRGB-3. I don't recall having any problems with this in particular.

Xrgb3 > extron 203 > audio authority 9a60 > Sony w800b

I've already doubled the red blue and green gamma and that helped with overall brightness but not black crush
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Lawfer wrote:Can the XRGB-3 AC Adapter handle being fed 115V?
I've been using my XRGB3 with its original AC adapter on U.S. house mains (~115V) just fine.
It's uncommon for things in the '90s and later to not be able to regulate out the ~15V RMS difference between Japan and U.S. mains voltage, especially for a little switching power supply like this.
Laughingman.s9 wrote: I've already doubled the red blue and green gamma and that helped with overall brightness but not black crush
You want to find some form of bias (brightness). Gamma is only a simple transfer function without any static bias, so it won't raise the black level. In your case, the black level is seemingly negative, if you are losing details that should be visible.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

mikejmoffitt wrote:I've been using my XRGB3 with its original AC adapter on U.S. house mains (~115V) just fine.
It's uncommon for things in the '90s and later to not be able to regulate out the ~15V RMS difference between Japan and U.S. mains voltage, especially for a little switching power supply like this.
Thank you.

Laughingman.s9 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:To what monitor are you connectiong ? Through native VGA or some kind of converter in between ? Maybe the black crush is happening after the XRGB-3. I don't recall having any problems with this in particular.

I've already doubled the red blue and green gamma and that helped with overall brightness but not black crush
Have you tried seeing if it changes anything if you change your TV RGB Range settings between "Full" and "Limited"?
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

Laughingman.s9 wrote: I've already doubled the red blue and green gamma and that helped with overall brightness but not black crush
You want to find some form of bias (brightness). Gamma is only a simple transfer function without any static bias, so it won't raise the black level. In your case, the black level is seemingly negative, if you are losing details that should be visible.[/quote]

So how do I go about rectifying this? Because I'm at a total loss right now
Laughingman.s9 wrote:

Have you tried seeing if it changes anything if you change your TV RGB Range settings between "Full" and "Limited"?[/quote]

I'm not even sure that's allowed on the component inputs, but let's say hypothetically I can set it to limited, how do I go about setting matching settings on the xrgb-3?
city41

Post by city41 »

Fudoh wrote:
Does the neo geo mvs work fine with an xrgb-3 by now?
it's fine, but in B1 mode the XRGB will output the same refresh rate it sees on the input and wether your display will be able to show 480p59.15Hz is another question. Mine did (when I still used the XRGB-3) but introduced a framerate conversion which causes a little hiccup every once in a while.
I appear to be in this situation.

My cab has a Wells Gardner D9200 in it. In low res mode almost none of my games worked because it hated the sync they were sending it. Between MVS, CPS2, various generations of Cave games and several other random PCBs, only the PGM generation Cave games would work (DDP DOJ, Ketsui, etc).

So I grabbed an xrgb3, switched the monitor to VGA mode and now everything works ... except MVS.

All in all a huge improvement so not too sad. But if anyone has any ideas on how to get an MVS to work on this thing, I'd love to hear em.

Oddly my AES works fine. I'm guessing since the AES is consumer oriented, SNK made sure it put out a more standard sync rate.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Oddly my AES works fine. I'm guessing since the AES is consumer oriented, SNK made sure it put out a more standard sync rate.
yes, the AES is running closer to standard NTSC Specs (a tiny bit faster than the MVS). You might want to look into a clock replacement for your MVS - essentially speeding it up as well.
city41

Post by city41 »

Fudoh wrote:
yes, the AES is running closer to standard NTSC Specs (a tiny bit faster than the MVS). You might want to look into a clock replacement for your MVS - essentially speeding it up as well.
You mean replace the crystal to overclock it? That would increase the sync rate as well? interesting.
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

lordnikon wrote:The display is flickering and very staticy / shakey. It is constantly flipping between 525i and 525p modes, and this is happening through any input video source. It basically looks like a really bad VCR/VHS tape output. Very chaotic.
Thanks to this mention I was able to fix my XRGB-3 PSU! :D
lordnikon wrote:So it seems this is a capacitor issue in the XRGB-3's PSU. My Furman units are 120V 60hz. Could connecting my XRGB-3 to this blow the capacitors? or was this just something that happens over time with the XRGB-3's PSU? I/P on the XRGB-3's PSU says 100-120V 50/60hz. Same with the XSelect-D4. These always worked just fine in the past. Should I have been using something similar to a Step Down Transformer to ensure safe operation of the unit?
I think it's something that happens over time, I use an EU step down transformer I've had since around 2006-07 when I bought the XRGB-3 from Play-Asia.

Reliability has been poor the last few months, it would only work after letting it stay on for 30 or so minutes to "warm up" then powercycle it once. I let it stay on for a few days until it entered the same state you described. I guess that finally depleted those two capacitors.

This is what the PSU looked like when I opened it:

It doesn't show up very well in the photo but the blackness was actually a small blob on top of the capacitor. The one on the left clearly slighly bulged/opened.

With those two capacitors replaced it's now working perfectly again! :P
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

I have some problem with running CDZ and Sigma AV7000 through Xrgb-3. Scart cables for both consoles were acquired from retro gaming cables and have been running fine through Framemeister but it is making a loud buzzing noise with no display on Xrgb-3. The unit is definitely not faulty as they work for other consoles. Can anyone help please?
popolon

Post by popolon »

Hi everyone!

I`m new here and I have too many questions about X-RGB3 and how to watch scanlines with this device.
I Connected Msx Turbo-R and Playstation 2 in XRGB-3, I can watch and heard the image, but I can`t put scanlines in TV, So I checked a lot of options and I don`t know what I must do for watch scanlines.
Its problem of the LCD or RGB cables? Which resolution or options are the correct to see scanlines?

I hope someone could help me, I`m about to get crazy......

Thanks and sorry for my english...
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

Anyone could tell me the best settings in B1 mode for a Gamecube connected via a Terminal-D Cable?

Can't get a synched picture right now anymore. It worked couple months back...

I'm using a BENQ XL240T Monitor...
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

RuffNEC wrote:Anyone could tell me the best settings in B1 mode for a Gamecube connected via a Terminal-D Cable?

Can't get a synched picture right now anymore. It worked couple months back...

I'm using a BENQ XL240T Monitor...
anyone has the ideal settings for the Gamecube Terminal-D Cable?!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

technically there are no settings. You use a 480p YUV input and in B1 you get a 480p RGB output signal. The XRGB-3 does nothing but transcode the signal. The various inputs had different quality for 480p sources. And of course you need to disable the low pass filter. Other than that, there's hardly anything you can do.

If you're display has a HDMI input as well, you're much better off using $25 component to HDMI transcoder for this kind of task.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

What would be the best way to minimize input lag when connecting 240p sources to a 4K TV through an XRGB-3?

I'm thinking B0 mode to a line doubler like the HDfury Vertex, then output 4K from the Vertex to the TV. Is there a better option than that?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The Vertex only upscales 1080p to 4K, not 480p or other resolutions.

And for the price of a HDF Vertex you can replace the XRGB-3 with an OSSC anyway.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

Fudoh wrote:The Vertex only upscales 1080p to 4K, not 480p or other resolutions.
B0 mode would output 1080p, would could be upscaled to 4K, right?
And for the price of a HDF Vertex you can replace the XRGB-3 with an OSSC anyway.
What would be the benefit of that? OSSC doesn't scale to 4K either, does it?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

B0 mode would output 1080p, would could be upscaled to 4K, right?
my bad. You're right. But by choosing B0 over B1 you add extra lag already, which gets added to the TV's native lag.
What would be the benefit of that? OSSC doesn't scale to 4K either, does it?
The OSSC's processing is much better. You get zero lag while you can use a digital output (XRGB-3 is lag free through VGA only). Unless your TV has bad compatibility with the OSSC or has REALLY bad upscaling from lower resolutions, the OSSC is just the most sensible solution.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

Fudoh wrote:The OSSC's processing is much better. You get zero lag while you can use a digital output (XRGB-3 is lag free through VGA only). Unless your TV has bad compatibility with the OSSC or has REALLY bad upscaling from lower resolutions, the OSSC is just the most sensible solution.
Does the OSSC have zero lag with upscaling, or is that only when passing the same resolution through?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It always has zero lag. The downside is the limited compatibility. Not all displays support all OSSC output modes. What 4K TV do you have ? Last year's LG OLEDs play very well with the OSSC.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

Fudoh wrote:It always has zero lag. The downside is the limited compatibility. Not all displays support all OSSC output modes. What 4K TV do you have ? Last year's LG OLEDs play very well with the OSSC.
I don't have one yet, but I was looking at a Sony OLED, and all sources will likely still be going through my AVR (Yamaha A1070).
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

Fudoh wrote:technically there are no settings. You use a 480p YUV input and in B1 you get a 480p RGB output signal. The XRGB-3 does nothing but transcode the signal. The various inputs had different quality for 480p sources. And of course you need to disable the low pass filter. Other than that, there's hardly anything you can do.

If you're display has a HDMI input as well, you're much better off using $25 component to HDMI transcoder for this kind of task.
I better not tell you that the cable was loose behind my gamecube :D works now like a charm on the xrgb-3
Apollon

Post by Apollon »

hello people i am new here, 36 years and retro fan.
maybe someone knows where I get a European power supply for the xrgb - 3?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

you can find plenty of multi-output PSUs on ebay which include the required 11V For the XRGB-3

Here in Germany I would try this one: https://www.ebay.de/itm/152685638881 and I'm sure you can find a similar one in your country. You just have to set the proper voltage (11V) and polarity (center positive I guess, but please check again) before connecting it.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

If your XRGB3 has an aftermarket power supply, chances are it is already compatible with european power (~200-240VAC 50Hz).
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

I made a thread about 480i/240p issues with this machine, but didnt get many replies, so Im hoping that someone more familiar with the XRGB-3 could help me better in this thread.

The issue is basically the video signal being lost during said transitions and it takes time to resync and get a picture. Sometimes I dont even get a picture at all!
Any solution or way to remedy this?
It's pretty annoying on PS1 games that use 480i menus/fmv movies and switch to 240p for gameplay.

Also happens with 480i/480p PS2 games.

I'm using B1 Mode and the VGA output.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

And into what display ? Or are you using a secondary processor ?