Recommend a good CMVS unit.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
werk91

Recommend a good CMVS unit.

Post by werk91 »

I've been on the prowl for a consolized MVS for some time and I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the different types available. I'm not really after anything bigger than a 1 slot motherboard unless there's a compelling reason to get a multi slot one.

Main type I see everywhere is this one with the black, red and white shell: Link1
Those ones look nice but I spotted some top loading ones with the ability for Sega Saturn controllers to be used as well: Link2
The ability to use Saturn pads sounds great but I'm not sure if these top loading variants are as good as the other more common ones.

I already have a good usb arcade stick with Sanwas so was planning on using that with the Brook USB to Neo Geo adapter. As apparently the original AES arcade sticks are a bit dull unless modded. And the Saturn pad I also already own will be perfect for the Neo Geo shmups.

There's also things like the Omega version which looks really slick but the price point is much larger. There's currently one on UK eBay for £500 with two AES sticks.

Any help and suggestions will be very welcome!
tomwhite2004

Re: Recommend a good CMVS unit.

Post by tomwhite2004 »

Go for the Jamma Nation X CMVS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH_jy5IQvBE
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

easier said than done.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I built mine to save a bit of money. It was the best project ever and is now one of a kind. Very rewarding
Larrs888

Post by Larrs888 »

The JNX CMVS has rave reviews and is probably the best built system you
can get, it’s alao really small so if space is an issue that might be a big plus. The only downside for some might be that the unibios is soldered to the neo bios masta rather than socketed due to the shallow height of the syatem case. I think James at JNX is looking at options to keep the socketed bios in the future.

I myself have the Omega, which I’ve owned since 2014. Whilst it is a nice machine and I do like the custom plastic shell the controller port pins are a little too thick which makes inserting controllers a bit tight so I use extension cords so be safe. I also do not like the internal PSU, I was having random resets on mine which I think was a combination of dirty carts/slot and a PSU starting to fail. I also have very bad audio buzzing on mine which I think is due to the very poor shielding on the supplied RGB cable (it’s really thin). Retro Gaming Cables say they are going to release a “pack a punch” shielded cable for it soon.

I’d wait and get a JNX or perhaps the Omega. The JNX from what I have read is the best made and best supported. Even the Omega seems to get limited support particularly on the forums. I’d avoid all the other ones personally.
moltomolto

Post by moltomolto »

I have the Omega CMVS and am very happy with the unit itself. Dealing with Quan however was not great. Every time I would email him he would respond with an apology and say it would be shipping this week. The week would pass without it shipping. This continued for over a month with every update basically being the same "Sorry for the delay, it's shipping this week".

When I finally cancelled my order and bought it locally, he claimed "We told you it was shipping this week." Like, YO FAM, you already told me that every week for the past month? Why should I believe you now?

If you can deal with a potentially long wait (I've read about some people taking 2 months or more to receive their Omega) and not so great customer service, then it's an excellent piece of hardware. I especially like how it looks similar to an AES.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Thank you all for the suggestions and all the extra info. I like the look of the Omega units, less so of the JNX ones. I guess if I see a Neo Geo console I expect it to be black. What's so wrong with the common cheaper types though? They must've been around for ages so I thought all problems would've been ironed by now. I know the Omega has the advantage of the virtual memory but normal CMVS will keep the settings saved for up to 8 games unless I'm mistaken so that's not a deciding factor imo. The other thing with it looking like an AES is that while it's very stylish I think I'd want it to look a bit like a hobby project. After all its just an arcade motherboard in the living room, some DIY look to it is good. Represents the reality I think :D
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

My solution was to purchase a HAS unit from this forum.

This way I could have my Neo geo and cps2 hooked up to a switch then the HAS which gives me assured picture audio quality and control.

They don't look like consoles but I couldnt be happier with it.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Can you tell me what to search to find what one looks like? I couldn't see anything when I tried to search for it.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

how about a nice consolized mvs, that doesnt have high prices? know where i can find one?
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Thanks, I'll be looking into it :)
mvsfan wrote:how about a nice consolized mvs, that doesnt have high prices? know where i can find one?
That's all I'm after too! If you find out let me know :D
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Not exactly a cheap one but the CMVS Slim by Analogue sure does have some good reviews: CMVS Slim
RGC have Scart cable made to work on it especially. I like the black wood finish and the compact design. Can not fathom how there's no power key on the front though :lol:
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:
easier said than done.
Whar do you mean?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

orders closed for the moment.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Just bought a broken MV-1B on Ebay. i might just consolize it myself.

The MV-1B is one of the smallest boards, thus should be much easier to fix than say a fullsize board.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

does the MV-1B need both 5v and 12v rails or does it only use 1 voltage?