OSSC Wolf Edition - Audio over HDMI

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ryoandr

Re: OSSC Wolf Edition - Audio over HDMI

Post by Ryoandr »

Wolf_ wrote: I honestly don't think that matters. That is a single small region of a console that has perfectly fine versions in regions that do work. I can't think of a single reason to specifically need a euro saturn.
When you live in europe ? Europe isn't a small HERE BE DRAGONS land you know.
And 60hz / region modding isn't hard. Far cheaper than to order a JP/US one (that will need a stepdown too)
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Ryoandr wrote:
Wolf_ wrote: I honestly don't think that matters. That is a single small region of a console that has perfectly fine versions in regions that do work. I can't think of a single reason to specifically need a euro saturn.
When you live in europe ? Europe isn't a small HERE BE DRAGONS land you know.
And 60hz / region modding isn't hard. Far cheaper than to order a JP/US one (that will need a stepdown too)
Region modding the saturn in general isn't hard. Nor is it an expensive/rare console to get a hold of. Hence the lack of it being a concern at all.
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

Wolf_ wrote: Region modding the saturn in general isn't hard. Nor is it an expensive/rare console to get a hold of. Hence the lack of it being a concern at all.
It's still far easier to get one locally, if only for shipping or testing. And stepdown is still a thing.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Wolf_ wrote:
Harrumph wrote:Wolf_, I'd take it down a notch. You're being obnoxious now.
Guspaz knows his shit, and I believe he's even one of the people that MLiG double-check their information with.
>Tells me to take it down after I've left the conversation
...useful post.
It's not about that conversation specifically. I'm telling you because you're ruining your reputation and credibility by your immature attitude and poor understanding of the underlying tech.
People will start to see you as noise to the signal, and soon ignore your posts (much like I will after this reply).
It kind of reminds me of a user here before, atheistgod something something, who also came across as a rude kid. He eventually got banned, iirc.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Guspaz wrote:.
For composite and s-video, it would actually make more sense to have a daughterboard with actual composite and s-video connectors on it, because you could put the NTSC/PAL decoder chip on the same daughterboard.
Indeed. And ofc, the existence of this type would not exclude someone designing one with bnc connectors. But I'd wager the first type of board would out-demand the other one by 10:1.
strygo

Post by strygo »

+1 on the comments on your attitude Wolf_. Any value you are bringing in your perspective is completely lost in your messaging style.

FWIW, the discussion definitely evokes some interesting thoughts for me. Before my RGB binge, I had a single 36" CRT and connected my consoles through a series of composite/s-video/component switches into that display. When I finally decided to go all-in on RGB, I had read that some people really liked BNC (largely due to the cheap availability of the Extron switches), but something about SCART appealed to me. So system by system, I switched to SCART and routed it all through a W-Hydra. As I layered in more displays, I picked up a 1x4 SCART distribution amp (recently upgraded to 1x8 8) ) and this gave me some additional flexibility.

Fast forward to today, the SCART piece of the setup works great, but I have an 8x8 component switch to handle the various component systems, an 8x8 VGA switch to handle routing of PC (+ handling routing of Sync Strike, Genius II, etc.) and I have an inkling feeling that if I were to start over today, I might make some different choices. My general approach has been to facilitate getting every signal to every display, so as an example, even though I have a Framemeister and a Lumagen in my setup, when my OSSC arrives, I'll likely want to add instead of replace.

I recognize fully that my desire here is mostly based on fitting puzzle pieces together and I also don't know where it will lead. When I first read about people having Sync Strikes, Rxi 203 units in their chains, it felt inelegant and needlessly complicated, and if I were to limit myself to consumer CRTs and a Framemeister, they wouldn't be needed. However, adding in PVMs, downscaling, and suddenly they are necessary. I do wonder what I would do now knowing the full requirements of my setup. Would I go with BNC? VGA? I can say that I don't like having all of these different switches in the setup. I see this 32x32 Crosspoint and I wonder if that would be a better long-term option. Sort of a ramble - but has anyone else had a similar evolution in their setup?

PS: If anyone is interested in more details or specifics, I'm happy to share.

PPS: If instead you think I need a 12 step program, I won't outright reject that. :)
Nrg

Post by Nrg »

becker wrote:Now the motherboard has the original OSSC size FPGA and HDMI TX. The video encoder is moved to the daughter board. The two boards are connected by a PCIE cardedge connector. This simple change makes the video encoder swappable so a composite IC can be tried without doing a full new board. The idea is to have many daughter boards that offer different purposes for the OSSC. I am pushing hard to finish the schematic. I keep bringing it into layout to make sure the traces break out cleanly.
This sounds awesome! I'm very interested in getting such a "daughter board OSSC" edition.. to do some custom analog video encoder experiments on my own. Let me know when I can order one from you :)
becker

Post by becker »

The project is still alive. I work on it in spurts. It was a lot of effort, but I started over in a different program. Originally I was using Cadence Capture and Allegro because it was the only program I knew. I use it at work but it's expensive and uncommon outside the industry. I figured if I'm putting all this effort into an open source project then I better use something everyone has access to.
I don't know if it was the right choice, but I picked CircuitMaker instead of Kicad. I thought the integrated version control would make sharing easier. I also expected more parts to be previously made but so far I'm making almost everything. CircuitMaker is also basically Altium for free so I expected good things.
I've come to the crossroads again where I'm short on pins for all the things I want to connect. Going to a 256 BGA seems like a solution. I tried adding 16 bit I2c IO expanders but the economics seem to favor a bigger FPGA. The Cyclone 10 stuff is finally being stocked and is cheap than equivalent Cyclone IV. I would like to use Cyclone 10 but compiling fails from the EPCS controller. Does anyone know if this is a simple fix. I am taking unmodified OSSC code and just swapping the device and unmapping pins. Maybe the EPCS controller is a legacy core?
marqs

Post by marqs »

becker wrote:I've come to the crossroads again where I'm short on pins for all the things I want to connect. Going to a 256 BGA seems like a solution. I tried adding 16 bit I2c IO expanders but the economics seem to favor a bigger FPGA. The Cyclone 10 stuff is finally being stocked and is cheap than equivalent Cyclone IV. I would like to use Cyclone 10 but compiling fails from the EPCS controller. Does anyone know if this is a simple fix. I am taking unmodified OSSC code and just swapping the device and unmapping pins. Maybe the EPCS controller is a legacy core?
Note that the EPCS controller in ossc is a slightly modified version, so you may want to try out a vanilla Quartus IP. Speaking of flash, I'd recommend to look into options where large amount of block RAM does not need to be reserved for CPU instruction memory. Nios II/e (the free version) does not support caches, but with e.g. QSPI (EPCQ) and higher CPU clock you should be able to minimize the performance hit of running code directly from flash. If you're going into BGAs, you might as well look into Cyclone V SoCs that include a hard ARM core, leaving most FPGA resources free to allocate for actual video processing.
becker

Post by becker »

marqs wrote:
becker wrote:I've come to the crossroads again where I'm short on pins for all the things I want to connect. Going to a 256 BGA seems like a solution. I tried adding 16 bit I2c IO expanders but the economics seem to favor a bigger FPGA. The Cyclone 10 stuff is finally being stocked and is cheap than equivalent Cyclone IV. I would like to use Cyclone 10 but compiling fails from the EPCS controller. Does anyone know if this is a simple fix. I am taking unmodified OSSC code and just swapping the device and unmapping pins. Maybe the EPCS controller is a legacy core?
Note that the EPCS controller in ossc is a slightly modified version, so you may want to try out a vanilla Quartus IP. Speaking of flash, I'd recommend to look into options where large amount of block RAM does not need to be reserved for CPU instruction memory. Nios II/e (the free version) does not support caches, but with e.g. QSPI (EPCQ) and higher CPU clock you should be able to minimize the performance hit of running code directly from flash. If you're going into BGAs, you might as well look into Cyclone V SoCs that include a hard ARM core, leaving most FPGA resources free to allocate for actual video processing.
Thank you for the reply Marqs! Going to a Cyclone V SoC is a overwhelming for me to start with. Especially for a first revision. The smallest package is a 484 pin BGA and cost $60-75, So it probably needs a 12 layer pcb. To give people a comparison in the same currency, the 144 pin package costs $15-22 and uses a 4-layer pcb (or only 2-layers if you're Marqs).
The QSPI flash is interesting. Can I just hook up all the pins or does it require purchasing an expensive IP core from Intel? Will the 16Mb IS25LP016D-JNLE be enough memory?
marqs

Post by marqs »

becker wrote:Going to a Cyclone V SoC is a overwhelming for me to start with. Especially for a first revision. The smallest package is a 484 pin BGA and cost $60-75, So it probably needs a 12 layer pcb. To give people a comparison in the same currency, the 144 pin package costs $15-22 and uses a 4-layer pcb (or only 2-layers if you're Marqs).
MAX10 series might also be worth consideration. They contain internal flash and regulators (only 1 or 2 power supplies needed), plus are available in smaller BGAs.
becker wrote:The QSPI flash is interesting. Can I just hook up all the pins or does it require purchasing an expensive IP core from Intel? Will the 16Mb IS25LP016D-JNLE be enough memory?
The relevant blocks should be freely available from Intel, check altera_epcq_controller2 and altera_generic_quad_spi_controller2. IS25LP016D-JNLE should be sufficiently sized for most Cyclone IV E bitstreams, but if you place CPU code separately there you could also consider a larger one.
becker

Post by becker »

The project has shifted focus since the first post. I also have redone all my work in the program CircuitMaker because it is free.
The Wolf has become more of a development board. It takes the FPGA and HDMI transmitter but leaves off the analog interface. Instead, it has a cardedge connected to the FPGA. The reason is because the FPGA and HDMI seem to stay the same but the front end changes for different projects like the CPS-II board.
I have three mate cards planned:
1)TVP7002 with SCART, VGA, COMPONENT. This is the chip on the regular OSSC. It is my starting point to see if I can at least recreate the original functionality. The schematic and some layout is done.
2)TVP5146M2 with SCART, COMPONENT, S-VIDEO, COMPOSITE. This chip trades vga for s-video and composite. A schematic in a separate program was done awhile ago. It needs to be redone in CircuitMaker.
3)Breakout board with lots of wire pads and voltage translation. This would be for things like the CPS-II board that taps digital lines of consoles or arcade boards. Hopefully this would accelerate new console specific HDMI mods.

Schematic PDF
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iAl5A ... 6CepbNkZh8

The main cardedge is a PCI-e 98 pin.
The HDMI transmitter is a ADV7513.
The flash is hooked up as QSPI so it can be faster. Maybe the OS can run on it?
A Si5351C creates all the clocks. The clkin comes from the cardedge and multiple clocks go to the FPGA. I hope something fancy can be done with it.
The small cardedge on the front is for a PCI-e x1 connector. It has an IO expander IC connected to it. It is for a front pcb with an LCD and buttons.
There is no analog on this board. I wanted everything on this board to be digital. At first I had the audio ADC on it but I was worried about ground noise.
Each board has an EEPROM. I want it to store board name and version. I don't know if it is possible but I would like a unified firmware. It would be nice if boards can be swapped and just work without flashing different firmware each time.

First daughtercard. Recreating the original OSSC.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

If you can crack S-Video and Composite input and roll that into an external transcoder we can use with the existing OSSC, that'll be awesome :mrgreen:
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
becker

Post by becker »

The design for the first daughtercard is done.
This has the same digitizer as the OSSC.
Video inputs for SCART, VGA, Component.
Two Stereo RCA pairs for the Component and VGA inputs.
The VGA has the same buffer as SCART and Component.
Toslink optical audio port.
Audio type through-hole capacitors (instead of ceramics).
EEPROM to self identify which daughter card it is. This is for the future if a unified firmware is created.

These are just renderings. I have not fabricated the board.

nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

becker wrote:...
Video inputs for SCART, VGA, Component.
Two Stereo RCA pairs for the Component and VGA inputs.
Toslink optical audio port.
How is the single TOSLINK port expected to be used? Is it an input or an output? If it's an input, is there a reason for only having the one TOSLINK input, instead of one for each video input, beyond perhaps saving space or limiting production cost?
becker

Post by becker »

nmalinoski wrote: How is the single TOSLINK port expected to be used? Is it an input or an output? If it's an input, is there a reason for only having the one TOSLINK input, instead of one for each video input, beyond perhaps saving space or limiting production cost?
The TOSLINK is an input. It goes straight to the HDMI transmitter chip.
I had multiple reasons why I only put one digital audio. It is a test to see if it will work. I also only was thinking of modded SNES with a TOSLINK. The board was getting larger than expected. The HDMI transmitter only has one SPDIF pin so there would need to be some MUX intelligence but every FPGA pin is being used. I thought maybe something goofy can be done like getting the analog audio PCM1862 to use it's IO pins to control a digital switch. The digital switch would be for going between TOSLINK and Coax digital audio (not on the board). I do not know if it will work and this first revision is mostly to prove a concept.

BuckoA51 wrote:If you can crack S-Video and Composite input and roll that into an external transcoder we can use with the existing OSSC, that'll be awesome
I looked into it. I have no idea how good or bad it would turn out. It is a lot of signal conversions on a already poor quality signal.
Composite analog signal -> digital convert -> component signal output -> OSSC digitize -> FPGA upscale -> HDMI output

If I do it on the Wolf
Composite analog signal -> digital convert -> FPGA upscale -> HDMI output.

If it looks good on the Wolf then it could be something to try. If it looks bad on the Wolf then I don't know if it is something worth pursuing.

Link to OSSC Wolf Mainboard
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ouEin ... rrwFddkrwh

Link to OSSC Wolf Daughtercard
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15OKbt ... M3dWArdM1c
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

becker wrote:The VGA has the same buffer as SCART and Component.
Meaning the VGA input would support the LPF options that the original OSSC doesn't?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
becker

Post by becker »

Yes, that is correct. VGA has a low pass filter now.
Monogamous

Post by Monogamous »

I looked up the TVP5146M2 and noticed that both of its output modes are in the YCbCr 4:2:2 color space. Will the TVP5146M2 variant of this product be able to output YCbCr video?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Just to bump this, I'm no longer in a situation where I would purchase the design you have--although I understand that others might be.

I also apologize in advance for stating the obvious here.

With the Retrotinkx2 shipping soon, an HDMI input to the OSSC has become a priority and the most marketable missing feature to me. The Retrotinkx2 will add composite, svideo, and component (with SNES/NES sync jitter correction for the HDRetrovision cables). That probably solves the missing inputs and sync issues.

That just leaves current OSSC owners with the problem of getting the HDMI output of the Retrotinkx2 into the OSSC. We haven't found a perfect DAC. Current DAC choices force us to choose between a little ringing, black crush, or sync jitter; there's no known DAC that gets it perfect.

With no perfect stand alone DAC options, all that's missing is a digital input and analog output. If I'm going to buy a replacement for my current OSSC, that's what I need.

The low pass filter on the HD15 is nice, but I can use an Extron RGB to route RGB to the OSSC RCA inputs as RGBsB and get the LPF.

Once again, not trying to argue, just pointing out what would motivate me to make a purchase.
We apologise for the inconvenience
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I've really not noticed any significant problems with the cheapy DAC I've been using here. Obviously I'm still testing but there didn't seem to be evidence of any black crush on the 240p test suite with Dreamcast and no noticable jitter either. As for ringing, well, my capture setup goes through the DVDO Edge so I'm always going to see that lol.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
orange808

Post by orange808 »

BuckoA51 wrote:I've really not noticed any significant problems with the cheapy DAC I've been using here. Obviously I'm still testing but there didn't seem to be evidence of any black crush on the 240p test suite with Dreamcast and no noticable jitter either. As for ringing, well, my capture setup goes through the DVDO Edge so I'm always going to see that lol.
The cheap DAC that I have that doesn't crush blacks has a smearing effect that resembles the clamping issue on the SNES. Which one do you use?

I also use a DVDO, so the slight ringing of my HDFury DACs don't bother me.

Ultimately, I still would gladly pay a premium to avoid using external DAC solutions all together.

With my tate mode/supergun hunt over, I'm hunting a low lag machine to completely replace DVDO's and standardize the OSSC output with a few milliseconds of lag, but I have to find one and test it first. If that pans out, we'll be in a really good place.
We apologise for the inconvenience
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

An HDMI input would be useful to me as well, namely for the number of HDMI mods coming out for 480p consoles (GC, Wii, Dreamcast). Of course, with the Wolf that's what the daughterboard system would be for, right? If you want HDMI input, get an HDMI input daughterboard, if you need CVBS, get a CVBS daughterboard, etc.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
becker

Post by becker »

A daughter card with HDMI input is in the works. It uses a ADV7611. This has been a plan for awhile but I didn't get a schematic started until last night.
becker

Post by becker »

Hi Folks.
I changed careers a month ago and have my first child due in a month! I am very excited!
However, as far as hobby projects go...
I have been working a lot more on hobby hardware layouts because my new job has normal hours; so I actually had free time after work. But that will likely change with the baby. There has been good progress since my previous post. Several designs are up as open-source. None have been fabricated. I do not have the equipment or funds to realistically build the boards I designed. They were designed to need stencils and reflow ovens which I no longer have access to. The resistors and capacitors are 0402 size which are not hand-solder friendly.
I also keep telling myself I will learn programming. The result is always a quick humbling that I still know nothing.

These are the designs that have been released. Anyone can use, copy, fork, or edit the projects.

Mainboard with FPGA and HDMI transmitter
https://circuitmaker.com/Projects/Detai ... /OSSC-Wolf

Daughtercard with TVP7002 (SCART, VGA, Component, Toslink) [same digitizer used by Marqs]
https://circuitmaker.com/Projects/Detai ... olf-Fenrir

Daughtercard with TVP5146M2 (SCART, Component, Composite, S-Video) [240p compatibility unknown]
https://circuitmaker.com/Projects/Detai ... Wolf-Freki

Daughtercard with ADV7611 (HDMI input) [hopefully useful for new mods like Woozle's GBA-HDMI]
https://circuitmaker.com/Projects/Detai ... -Wolf-Geri
becker

Post by becker »

I have about one month left before the baby arrives. That might be enough time to push out one more design. I have been interested in doing something with an ESP32 module. I do not know if it is possible, but I was hoping people could chime in.

Using the MIT App Inventor website it looks like an Android app could be made relatively easy. My hope is that an app on a smartphone could connect to an ESP32 on the OSSC Wolf board. The smartphone would do the heavy lifting on interface stuff and just send relative bits over bluetooth to control the OSSC.

What I want to accomplish:
All controls of the OSSC are done on a smartphone instead of on-board buttons or a IR-remote.
Have downloadable profiles like the efforts by FBX.
Have custom profiles that can be saved.
Eliminate the SD-card.
Eliminate LCD. Information can be sent to smartphone over bluetooth and display on phone screen.
Fetch latest firmware from internet and install over bluetooth.
Read Wolf daughtercard eeprom and download correct firmware and install.

The challenges:
Can the ESP32 write updated firmware to the FPGA flash? Would it write it to the flash or to the JTAG pins?
Can the ESP32 change settings of FPGA or other IC if connected to the I2C bus?
Is the MIT App Inventor too limited? I only played with it briefly.
Is this way more complicated to execute than I expect?

kurtjmeyoung

Post by kurtjmeyoung »

Because of Bob from RetroRGB I got back into gaming and because of his weekly podcast (thank god they are back) I’m following many awesome projects like this one right here.

I think beckers idea of adding a daughter card to the ossc is pure genius, but could be taken one step beyond that. Has anybody of you talented guys out there ever thought about a ossc + modular scart/component/hdmi switch, so everybody can build his own „central controlstation“ that fits his personal gaming setup needs perfectly and beyond that is scalable, in case of a new console shall be integrated into the setup? Here are some specs that came to my mind:

Main OSSC Motherboard Unit:
  • - does all the scalling/switching/configurations
    - got a power input for his own needs as well for supplying power to all of the daughter cards
    - has multiple audio/video outputs which are fed at the same time (2x hdmi, rgb, component, vga?!?, rca for audio?!?)
    - daughter cards can be connected to the main unit directly or via extension cord (just to get them closer to the consoles, otherwise could be a problem in huge setups)
    - got a display for showing basic input informations as well as the selected input name
    - Provides a OSD for configuring the main unit as well as the daughter cards that are connected
    - Has the option to automatically select the first input it gets a signal from
Daughter input cards:
  • - Can be connected to the main unit or to another daughter card (as said directly or via extension cord)
    - Every type of daughter card provides another type of input:
    • o One card that provides a rgb input
      o One that provides a component input
      o One that provides a vga input
      o One that provides a hdmi input (useful for GCVideo and Woozle‘s GBA consolizer)
      o One that provides multiple hdmi inputs but is passthrough only (for all the 1080p+ consoles)
      o Maybe provide a non Input connector so not all the daughter cards are in one row but rather can be continued in a second/third row or use a extension cord as said above
    - A daughter card registers itself on the main unit on startup so the main unit knows which cards are connected
    - daughter cards have to store configurations on their own, so if the input gets selected the main unit can load configurations of the input automatically:
    • o Name of the source that is connected, so it can be displayed in the main display
      o Process the input or is it passthrough only (passthrough for 1080p/4k hdr signals)
      o Input profiles with a name (just a few, not more than 3-5 I would say), first profile gets loaded automatically if input is selected
    - Input profiles of selected input can be cycled via button on a remote
    - Daughter cards have a led that lights up if input is currently selected
    - Daughter cards have a select switch to select this specific input directly
    - Should be as small as possible
    - Should be as cheap as possible, so it’s not a huge deal to buy more in case you need more inputs
A person that only needs a ossc because of his beloved SNES but otherwise plays modern consoles and has not enough hdmi inputs can benefit from this as well as hardcore console collectors or streamers that have way more consoles than their tv/av-receiver could handle. If it makes the main unit cheaper you even could make the output section modular. So you got the main unit in the middle, the ouput cards connected to the one side of it and the input cards connected to the other side, so you even can choose which ouputs it shall have. The output section would be way „simpler“, I think, as the outpus all just have to „passthrough“ the video signal that comes from the main unit. But I’m not in any form a expert, I’m just a little software developer that loves and collects retro consoles.

I would love to hear your opinions and thoughts about this.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

'Stupid questions' guy here. :D

Apologies, should I have missed you giving this information already, in the past: do you plan designing a proper case/shell - similar to the Framemeister, as an example - for your OSSC, or will it have the usual sandwich layout?
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Hello becker, hopefully you are doing alright with the brand new +1 in the family!

Utilizing daughterboards is a neat idea - especially for meeting specific setup needs. I'm looking at doing a very different customization of the OSSC setup for a very non-standard purpose, but a lot of the things you've looked into are quite relevant all the same.

One thing I'm curious about though - did you (or anybody else, for that matter) look into the ADV7842 as an option for the primary or daughtercard encoder? On paper it has a lot of great features (all variety of analog inputs, 2x HDMI, configurable cleaning/processing), albeit at a higher cost. I'm planning to get an eval board for testing soon, but wanted to know if you had any additional knowledge about the part that would make it unsuitable for retro consoles.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

1. Does this Wolf Edition have the same capabilities with the PSP that the regular OSSC has?

2. Can it convert/transcode S-Video to RGB and/or YPbPr?

3. Will you be able to buy pre-made/pre-assembled units online (like the regular OSSC that's available from VGP) or it's gonna be DIY stuff?