Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
borti4938

Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)

Post by borti4938 »

If you don't mind, I could take a look onto the system. I'm located in Germany.
rule_z

Post by rule_z »

Many thanks. Currently I was hoping to solve the issue with Analogue, also because I prefer to do not void the warranty (but I'm starting to think if there's anything like a warranty for the Analogue products), if it will be impossible to do this with them then I'll gladly send my console to you if it's ok for you. I'm from Italy so the shipping should be feasible.
Thanks again.
thirdkind

Post by thirdkind »

rule_z wrote:Many thanks. Currently I was hoping to solve the issue with Analogue, also because I prefer to do not void the warranty (but I'm starting to think if there's anything like a warranty for the Analogue products), if it will be impossible to do this with them then I'll gladly send my console to you if it's ok for you. I'm from Italy so the shipping should be feasible.
Thanks again.
Ask Analogue to send you a known good cart to test on your system (or a few carts, preferably). If you're having that much trouble, they owe it to you to work with you on a solution. You bought the product, so you're entitled to support.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

You mentioned that the carts work with a real Super Famicom, but not if you ever actually cleaned any of them. I've heard it said that SNES' and Super Famicoms are a bit more forgiving of dirty carts. It might be worth opening one or two and giving them a good cleaning with a white eraser and some isopropyl alcohol if you haven't yet. I know I had a few carts that would work fine in my SNES but I had to give them a good cleaning for my Retrode to see them.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I have a box of loose SFC carts here with me, some in pretty bad condition and certainly not a single one of them ever cleaned. And all of them work absolutely flawlessly on the Super Nt I got. I would really say that a cart not working on a Super Nt needs to be in pretty rough condition.
rule_z

Post by rule_z »

Sure I've already tried to clean some, nothing changes.
However, it seems that the quest is over. Analogue has just sent me a new PCB to swap the current one, this should fix everything :D
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

It's kinda amazing if they can't send out a replacement unit instead of having an end-user swap PCB's. I'm sure much of their customer base is capable, but they should hold stock back for RMA.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
sfried

Post by sfried »

New firmware fixes color levels/limited RGB problem, among other things.
kevtris wrote:Firmware 4.3 has been posted.

Changes include:

* Fixed Front Mission - Gun Hazard. This game did mid-frame HDMA enables and disables. Pocky and Rocky should be fixed too with this since it does that as well.
* Fixed Ninja Warriors
* Re-fixed the Mecarobot Golf fix, this should fix several random crashes.
* Fixed Uniracers 2 player mode, where player 2 hovered above the track.
* Partial fix on Front Mission - bottom of text box no longer moves, but the text sometimes does.
* Added individual RGB gamma sliders.
* Added "straight through" RGB when not using HQX scalers; this should fix the RGB issues people had. These are under the "scanlines" menu.
* Linearized the brightness steps for the overall screen brightness (PPU reg 2100 bits 0-3).
* Added limited RGB mode checkbox. This is under the "scalers" menu. Also now I am sending out "underscan" flags, and "IT content" flags which should force some monitors/TVs to disable overscan, and any filtering/processing (IT mode).
* Super Powerpak fixed - check "use launch system timing" box under the hardware menu if you wish to use one.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Just tested it out and full RGB range now looks correct with no colors crushed. The only weird quirk is Kevtris went with 7 to 254 compared to Higan's 8 to 255, but it's a very subtle difference that doesn't really matter.

Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Just finished testing and confirming as well. Full color range is correct now
FBX

Post by FBX »

Did some more testing with the gamma sliders and found something interesting:

The 254 max brightness value is set as a hard limit. The menu system font of the Super Nt itself will have a value of 255-255-255, but the SNES emulation limit is hard-set at 254-254-254.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Probably a leftover -1 somewhere at the end of the conversion because every color bar is 1 value less on the Super NT compared to Higan.
tacoboy42

Post by tacoboy42 »

anyone hear any word if any other cores are going to be released for this? similar to the nt mini? I would love to have an all in one fpga system.
lechu

Post by lechu »

tacoboy42 wrote:anyone hear any word if any other cores are going to be released for this? similar to the nt mini? I would love to have an all in one fpga system.
Kevtris said on Atariage that there's still some bugs with the main core and he wants to revamp the scanline functions. My guess is that is his priority. He's been very quiet about the jailbreaking, but it'll probably happen once the main Super NT core is basically perfected.
tacoboy42

Post by tacoboy42 »

lechu wrote: Kevtris said on Atariage that there's still some bugs with the main core and he wants to revamp the scanline functions. My guess is that is his priority. He's been very quiet about the jailbreaking, but it'll probably happen once the main Super NT core is basically perfected.

cool good to hear, yeah couldn't get the scanlines to work right on mine, perfect with the ossc and the 1chip but just looked off with the super NT, thanks!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Can anyone post pics of a game with Interpolation on and off?
Or even perhaps displaying at 480 with Int. on and off?

Some dude is selling his on EBay, and says the graphics are too sharp, and that's why he's selling it. I knew I wasn't the only person in the world! :lol:
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Can anyone post pics of a game with Interpolation on and off?
Or even perhaps displaying at 480 with Int. on and off?

Some dude is selling his on EBay, and says the graphics are too sharp, and that's why he's selling it. I knew I wasn't the only person in the world! :lol:
The interpolation is only to eliminate shimmering that comes from non-square pixels when displaying at the correct aspect ratio. It blurs as little as possible to hide this artifact. It's not the kind of bilinear upscaling etc. that you're looking for. Currently, the only way to get a softer look out of the Super Nt is to set it to 480p and let your TV do its video-style upscaling. That of course depends very much on your TV. You could just hook up a Raspberry Pi, laptop etc. and output 480p and run a SNES emulator and see how it looks like. The Super Nt won't look much different.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

Gave the Super NT a whirl today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIJZAj6ukOg
I think it's a great console. Will sell off my Snes jr. and snes classic mini after some comparison footage. Don't see much point owning the snes jr. if the NT will get Analogue RGB output later with 0 delay.
panzeroceania

Post by panzeroceania »

An interesting Super NT review

https://youtu.be/7TzZptqR-24

Overall positive and touches on some of the things that have been brought up since launch
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

So Kevtris confirmed the wrong colors was due to his RGB->YUV->RGB conversion. Someone on atariage said the colors are still wrong in HQX modes and Kevtris said thats because of the YUV conversion.

He seems to be under the impression that YUV conversion will always result in wrong colors because he said it can't be fixed because YUV. Of course if he would just use the correct formulas then there should be no color change.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970 ... try3974210
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

#HD Rekt our vision
Chocograph

Post by Chocograph »

I received mine today. I didn't expect it to be this heavy and I quite like that. So...on the shipping note that came with it they'd written 10 dollars as the total package value. This probably made it go right through customs and saved me QUITE a few coins. Didn't expect that either. Unless I missed something and the letter will come later like it sometimes does....but the package note clearly says the value is 10 dollars. THANK YOU I guess?
Shin

Post by Shin »

same for me ( round preorder, so got it last month), thank god the parcel wasn't lost or got damaged though (it got stuck for 4days under the snow in Paris) because with 10$ shipping and 10$ value declared, good luck getting a full refund from UPS or DHL.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Shin wrote:same for me ( round preorder, so got it last month), thank god the parcel wasn't lost or got damaged though (it got stuck for 4days under the snow in Paris) because with 10$ shipping and 10$ value declared, good luck getting a full refund from UPS or DHL.
Wait a minute, shipping to France cost you $10? Yet it's upwards of $40 in the states... What a joke, screw Analogue.

EDIT: Seems to not be the case, but I'm still appalled by the shipping costs on this tiny thing.
Last edited by bobrocks95 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

Cost me $50 delivery to the UK. Seems like they’ve declared $10 on mine as well which has saved me around $60 in import fees.
Chocograph

Post by Chocograph »

Shipping was 50 to Norway. I'm terrified every time I pull out a cart. Luckily I'll have my everdrive inserted most of the time.
FBX

Post by FBX »

New firmware released:

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/ar ... pdate-v4-4

My OCD couldn't let the 7 - 254 RGB range go, so I requested Kevtris bump it up to 8 - 255. He added this fix among others in the new firmware. What a guy!
Shin

Post by Shin »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Shin wrote:same for me ( round preorder, so got it last month), thank god the parcel wasn't lost or got damaged though (it got stuck for 4days under the snow in Paris) because with 10$ shipping and 10$ value declared, good luck getting a full refund from UPS or DHL.
Wait a minute, shipping to France cost you $10? Yet it's upwards of $40 in the states... What a joke, screw Analogue.

EDIT: Seems to not be the case, but I'm still appalled by the shipping costs on this tiny thing.
no, I meant they wrote 10$ shipping and 10$ value on my invoice. (I payed 40-50€ to ship to France)
Chocograph

Post by Chocograph »

FBX wrote:New firmware released:

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/ar ... pdate-v4-4

My OCD couldn't let the 7 - 254 RGB range go, so I requested Kevtris bump it up to 8 - 255. He added this fix among others in the new firmware. What a guy!
He said he'll look at 1080p scanlines, right? They look shit on the FM, OSSC and the NT.

I thought there was something wrong with my LED when I selected "SF" because I'm used to it being just red...and it keeps changing colors and I thought that was a rainbow setting. Took me like two minutes to realize that "OOOH, it's the four colors.."

My everdrive worked fine yesterday but when I boot up the cartridge now it says "Supe EverDrive bootloader v1 ERROR: 40 SD card not found." That's new to me. I fucked it up when I updated the console with the everdrive in it, didn't I? Do I need to buy a new everdrive now? This IS an everdrive v2.

The manual says it's a test suit so I put in the SD card after boot and pressed select + start. The RAM test says "ERROR 1" so...the everdrive itself is fucked? It worked like a charm yesterday and after updating the NT with the cart in it..it's done?

I have tried four different SD cards and reformatted them a couple of times. I also came across http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=7313.0 on the everdrive forums. Maybe I'll just use a hacked firmware because WHY not? I can only say I hope there's something to this so that it can be fixed but it doesn't seem like anyone else is reporting on it yet.

So...my everdrive works on the jailbreak firmware. Interesting. Awaiting internet response.
Last edited by Chocograph on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Have you tried reseating the SD card a few times?