gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
morfeo

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by morfeo »

Seems like the supergun maker i am ordering from is aware of the issue, and not wiring its scart like Windy City. So guess that means Im ordering another one of these awesome products!
superg

Post by superg »

Every order is packed and will be dropped off tomorrow, tracking number was sent using paypal. If you haven't gotten email, login to paypal and tracking should be in the transaction details.
I still have a plenty of units in stock and it looks like finally I've met the demand!
KonradKlaus

Post by KonradKlaus »

superg wrote: I still have a plenty of units in stock and it looks like finally I've met the demand!
Oh I am sure people will order them up. Your switch has been essential to my retro setup. I haven't played much with my weird SNES issue lately, the Super NT has been taking up my snes time lately. I think my cable might be a PAL cable, although it is a NTSC snes. I'll get another cable one of these days to figure it out, although using output 2 works fine.
The Spaniard

Post by The Spaniard »

superg wrote:Every order is packed and will be dropped off tomorrow, tracking number was sent using paypal. If you haven't gotten email, login to paypal and tracking should be in the transaction details.
I still have a plenty of units in stock and it looks like finally I've met the demand!
No you haven't! :lol:

I still want one as soon as you have a sync on green solution and when I have the money but god dammit I still want one when that happens! :twisted:
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

KonradKlaus wrote:
superg wrote: I still have a plenty of units in stock and it looks like finally I've met the demand!
Oh I am sure people will order them up. Your switch has been essential to my retro setup.
Quoted for truth. I’m up to 3 at home and 1 for a smaller setup at work.

I fully expect to see 2 complaints in this thread about how hard they are to get the day after you sell the last one.
zarkFR

Post by zarkFR »

Hi from France ! Just registered to say I ordered my unit and have now a tracking number ! Can't wait *_*
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Asking for a friend but, can the gscartsw_lite pass 480p through it's SCART outputs as RGBS(combined H and V sync) for use with a SCART to BNC cable that has 4 leads only?

And what about the ps2's SoG 480p signal?

Didn't see that info on the product page
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
superg

Post by superg »

FinalBaton wrote:Asking for a friend but, can the gscartsw_lite pass 480p through it's SCART outputs as RGBS(combined H and V sync) for use with a SCART to BNC cable that has 4 leads only?

And what about the ps2's SoG 480p signal?

Didn't see that info on the product page
The switch can pass 480p signal but SoG won't be detected. If you pass SoG by manually feeding green to sync line with sync regeneration off and taking green from sync line on the output - it will work (probably something too complex to do).
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Just wanted to mention that I’m hoping gcompsw comes back soonish. I need a 4th for my second setup at work.

I’m finding it super convenient to have an rf demodulator (outputs composite) plugged into a gcompsw for composite sources that feeds into a composite to YPbPr transcoder that feeds into another gcompsw for component sources before going into a garo then into a gacartsw.

It exposes RF, composite, component, and scart to a fully automatic switching chain. Just power the console of choice and it’s on the screen.

Wouldn’t be nearly as easy with manual switches. And the quality is top notch. Im super grateful that you produce these switches SuperG
loukey

Post by loukey »

DirkSwizzler wrote:Just wanted to mention that I’m hoping gcompsw comes back soonish. I need a 4th for my second setup at work.

I’m finding it super convenient to have an rf demodulator (outputs composite) plugged into a gcompsw for composite sources that feeds into a composite to YPbPr transcoder that feeds into another gcompsw for component sources before going into a garo then into a gacartsw.

It exposes RF, composite, component, and scart to a fully automatic switching chain. Just power the console of choice and it’s on the screen.

Wouldn’t be nearly as easy with manual switches. And the quality is top notch. Im super grateful that you produce these switches SuperG
It was a while ago that I read some negative about the garo. I'd personally like to hook my gcompsw to my soon-to-arrive gscartsw, but never picked up the garo as there were some negative reviews. How well does this work?
mjs0686

Post by mjs0686 »

DirkSwizzler wrote:Just wanted to mention that I’m hoping gcompsw comes back soonish. I need a 4th for my second setup at work.

That's a beast of a setup! :D
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

loukey wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:... into a garo then into a gacartsw...
It was a while ago that I read some negative about the garo. I'd personally like to hook my gcompsw to my soon-to-arrive gscartsw, but never picked up the garo as there were some negative reviews. How well does this work?
It's a great unit except the csync output is out of spec. If you turn on sync regen for the gscartsw_lite then it fixes it. Or you can mod the Garo to fix the issue. I sadly haven't done that yet since mine has still been "good enough" in the current configuration.
superg

Post by superg »

Had some unexpected business today, didn't manage to drop off the orders. Will do the first thing tomorrow!
loukey

Post by loukey »

superg wrote:Had some unexpected business today, didn't manage to drop off the orders. Will do the first thing tomorrow!
Is the unexpected business the 30" of snow that buried us this afternoon? (Your packages ship from close to me) :D
loukey

Post by loukey »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
loukey wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:... into a garo then into a gacartsw...
It's a great unit except the csync output is out of spec. If you turn on sync regen for the gscartsw_lite then it fixes it. Or you can mod the Garo to fix the issue. I sadly haven't done that yet since mine has still been "good enough" in the current configuration.
Oh, I hadn't considered sync regen. Yeah, my plan would be to run it through the gscartsw lite as well. So does PS2 through component and then garo circumvent the sog problem? Also can the PS2 and OG Xbox pass the higher resolution modes through the garo and gscart?
superg

Post by superg »

loukey wrote:
superg wrote:Had some unexpected business today, didn't manage to drop off the orders. Will do the first thing tomorrow!
Is the unexpected business the 30" of snow that buried us this afternoon? (Your packages ship from close to me) :D
Mm, not that but I definitely understand what you mean! ;)
lizzie24

Post by lizzie24 »

Hi,

I know you are working only on the gscart_lite right now but I was wondering if you are ever going to make more gcompsw and if you do, do you think you will ever plan so it has 2 outputs like the gscart_lite? Also are you able to daisy chain them like the gscart_lite?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

loukey wrote:Also can the PS2 and OG Xbox pass the higher resolution modes through the garo and gscart?
This user's post suggests that a Garo with an original gscartsw will correctly forward 720p and 1080i from the Xbox; I imagine the PS2 would be no different.
loukey

Post by loukey »

nmalinoski wrote:
loukey wrote:Also can the PS2 and OG Xbox pass the higher resolution modes through the garo and gscart?
This user's post suggests that a Garo with an original gscartsw will correctly forward 720p and 1080i from the Xbox; I imagine the PS2 would be no different.
Thanks!

I think I'll order one and give it a try when it comes back in stock. I am a little worried about the purple tint/bands thing, but doesnt look like there are tremendous other options.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

I can confirm that the garo works with 240p, 480i, 480p, 720p, & 1080i as long as you can wrangle the sync issue.

Once you get past the sync issue it’s the best component to rgbs transcoder I’ve tried.
Octo-King

Post by Octo-King »

Hey super G. I was thinking of mounting my G SCART switch vertically (against the back of my entertainment center, which is metal) and was wondering if magnetic tape would affect any signals ? I'm guessing yes.
superg

Post by superg »

Octo-King wrote:Hey super G. I was thinking of mounting my G SCART switch vertically (against the back of my entertainment center, which is metal) and was wondering if magnetic tape would affect any signals ? I'm guessing yes.
I don't think it will affect anything but the only way is to try. Or you can order vertical mount brackets designed by a gscartsw user https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2753938
loukey

Post by loukey »

Thanks super. It arrived today in perfect condition! Then I ordered a Saturn and realized that that puts me at 9 cables and I need another one. Oy.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Hi Superg, I have a bit of a nightmare situation here and could use your advice.

I received my gcompsw this week and got around to setting it up today. I connected it to my Sony KDL-40Z4500 TV, and plugged in component cables for PS2, PSP, Xbox and Wii. I tested the Xbox and Wii and and everything worked flawlessly.

I put everything on standby and when I went to use my TV about five hours later there was no power going to it. After checking all power connections I removed the plug to see if the fuse had gone. It was unplugged and I picked up the plug and got a nasty electric shock, despite the fact it wasn’t the plugged in.

Now this is a TV I’ve owned without issue for around seven years, and I haven’t made any other recent adjustments to my AV set-up. I’d assumed it was a coincidental fuse blown, except for the shock I got from the TV power lead, suggesting the TV was receiving current though something else plugged into it, which I guess would be the gcompsw. Do you have any idea what could’ve caused this? Could the gcompsw be pushing excessive current through the TV? I haven’t got a replacement 10A fuse right now for the plug, so I won’t know if there’s any permanent damage to the TV until I grab one tomorrow. It may well have nothing to do with the gcompsw, but I can’t see any other explanation. Can you offer any insight?

Many thanks,
Rupert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
superg

Post by superg »

Rupert H wrote:Hi Superg, I have a bit of a nightmare situation here and could use your advice.

I received my gcompsw this week and got around to setting it up today. I connected it to my Sony KDL-40Z4500 TV, and plugged in component cables for PS2, PSP, Xbox and Wii. I tested the Xbox and Wii and and everything worked flawlessly.

I put everything on standby and when I went to use my TV about five hours later there was no power going to it. After checking all power connections I removed the plug to see if the fuse had gone. It was unplugged and I picked up the plug and got a nasty electric shock, despite the fact it wasn’t the plugged in.

Now this is a TV I’ve owned without issue for around seven years, and I haven’t made any other recent adjustments to my AV set-up. I’d assumed it was a coincidental fuse blown, except for the shock I got from the TV power lead, suggesting the TV was receiving current though something else plugged into it, which I guess would be the gcompsw. Do you have any idea what could’ve caused this? Could the gcompsw be pushing excessive current through the TV? I haven’t got a replacement 10A fuse right now for the plug, so I won’t know if there’s any permanent damage to the TV until I grab one tomorrow. It may well have nothing to do with the gcompsw, but I can’t see any other explanation. Can you offer any insight?

Many thanks,
Rupert.

It's unlikely that gcompsw is involved in any way. It gets 9V from DC power supply which gets converted to 5V. The switch is connected to TV using RCA leads, video lines are 1Vrms and audio is close to that range. Any electrical shock from gcompsw is physically impossible ;)
Are you sure it was 110V (or 240V) and not some static electricity build up? I had 240V shock years ago and it hurts.
superg

Post by superg »

gscartsw_lite units were just sold out. I keep a few extras which will go on sale a bit later.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

superg wrote:
Rupert H wrote:Hi Superg, I have a bit of a nightmare situation here and could use your advice.

Many thanks,
Rupert.

It's unlikely that gcompsw is involved in any way. It gets 9V from DC power supply which gets converted to 5V. The switch is connected to TV using RCA leads, video lines are 1Vrms and audio is close to that range. Any electrical shock from gcompsw is physically impossible ;)
Are you sure it was 110V (or 240V) and not some static electricity build up? I had 240V shock years ago and it hurts.
I’m not an electrician so forgive any errant assumptions, but this doesn’t make sense to me.

I checked the plug fuse with a multimeter and it’s working fine, but the TV still doesn’t have any power. I opened it up and checked the internal fuse next to the power socket and that’s working fine too, and the multi plug adapter is surge protected too. If there was any kind of power surge it didn’t come from the mains supply.

If as you say the RCA plugs handle one Vrms, and that’s multiplied by the five leads plugged into the TV, presumably there’s no way that could ever overload enough cumulatively be an issue? I read in the product description that the gcompsw has psu polarity and overvoltage protection too, so I assume it would’ve blown if it was being overloaded.

Is there anything you can think of that could have caused this? If it is just a horrible coincidence and just happened to suffer a terminal hardware failure hours after I plugged the gcompsw in, it’s bad luck but these things happen. I would however be extremely concerned about plugging it all into an expensive new replacement TV, without knowing what caused it.

I trust your hardware is reliable (I’ve had a gscartsw_lite rigged up to the max with zero issues), but as you can imagine I’m desperate to understand what went wrong here. I guess I’ll find out when I take the TV to the engineer but I’m open to any ideas in the mean time.
superg

Post by superg »

Rupert H wrote: I’m not an electrician so forgive any errant assumptions, but this doesn’t make sense to me.

I checked the plug fuse with a multimeter and it’s working fine, but the TV still doesn’t have any power. I opened it up and checked the internal fuse next to the power socket and that’s working fine too, and the multi plug adapter is surge protected too. If there was any kind of power surge it didn’t come from the mains supply.

If as you say the RCA plugs handle one Vrms, and that’s multiplied by the five leads plugged into the TV, presumably there’s no way that could ever overload enough cumulatively be an issue? I read in the product description that the gcompsw has psu polarity and overvoltage protection too, so I assume it would’ve blown if it was being overloaded.

Is there anything you can think of that could have caused this? If it is just a horrible coincidence and just happened to suffer a terminal hardware failure hours after I plugged the gcompsw in, it’s bad luck but these things happen. I would however be extremely concerned about plugging it all into an expensive new replacement TV, without knowing what caused it.

I trust your hardware is reliable (I’ve had a gscartsw_lite rigged up to the max with zero issues), but as you can imagine I’m desperate to understand what went wrong here. I guess I’ll find out when I take the TV to the engineer but I’m open to any ideas in the mean time.
I still think this is a coincidence. You don't multiply 5 leads voltage, it doesn't work like this. gcompsw is very safe, I had not a single issue with it doing something to other devices. Obviously you should rely on your inputs being in a correct range and especially not to feed any amplified audio to gcompsw (and gscartsw too) or the switches will die. But again, it couldn't damage your equipment.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Okay, no worries. I’ll take the TV to an engineer and see what they say. Thanks for reply and I’ll update this when I get more information.
markedkiller78

Post by markedkiller78 »

I’m days too late :cry:

I appreciate you’ve just sold out, but will there be another gscart run?
Allied Ibara Rebels