JPN disc of Xevious 3D/G+ Ending Crash Bug

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Rupert H

JPN disc of Xevious 3D/G+ Ending Crash Bug

Post by Rupert H »

Hi all,

I've had two Japanese PS1 disc copies of this game over the years and both exhibit the same bug. When I complete the game, the end sequence plays, followed by the credits, then when the game should transition to the score entry screen the screen goes black and I get an endless loop of music. Pressing each and every button does nothing and the console needs to be reset to escape it. As well as not allowing for my name entry, it makes it impossible to unlock the additional options because you can't save post-completion.

Does this happen to anybody else? For info I'm running the JPN game on a modded UK PSone console.
Goompaolo9500

Re: JPN disc of Xevious 3D/G+ Ending Crash Bug

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

Rupert H wrote:Hi all,

I've had two Japanese PS1 disc copies of this game over the years and both exhibit the same bug. When I complete the game, the end sequence plays, followed by the credits, then when the game should transition to the score entry screen the screen goes black and I get an endless loop of music. Pressing each and every button does nothing and the console needs to be reset to escape it. As well as not allowing for my name entry, it makes it impossible to unlock the additional options because you can't save post-completion.

Does this happen to anybody else? For info I'm running the JPN game on a modded UK PSone console.
Did you say "modded UK PSone console"? Not all Playstation Games completely work on that modded console. If you are playing that Japanese version of that game, try playing it on a Japanese Playstation Console.l
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Goompaolo9500 wrote:
Rupert H wrote:Hi all,

Did you say "modded UK PSone console"? Not all Playstation Games completely work on that modded console. If you are playing that Japanese version of that game, try playing it on a Japanese Playstation Console.l

Second that, I would try a JPN PS 1 console. I don't have this game so can't comment, but I have had problem in the past playing other region games on *chipped* consoles
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Yeah, I’d considered that. It would be the first time I’ve encountered a software compatibility problem like that. I don’t suppose anybody is in a position to test that? I don’t have a JPN PlayStation.

Out of curiosity which games have issues running on non-native region hardware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The PSX USA region version of Xevious 3D/G+ plays just fine (even if you complete it and watch the FMV CG ending credits) and doesn't have the "Ending Crash Bug' issue that affects the JPN PSX disc version of the same name.

As a cool bonus, you can even use the optional Namco produced Negcon controller to rotate the player's ship on the Z-axis. How cool is that?

I could try burning a CD-R of the JPN region Xevious 3D/G+ and trying it out on a mod-chipped 5501-model USA region PSX console to see if the same issue pops up (or try it on a umodded USA region PSOne setup by using a PS X-Change Version 2 bootup disc & see if the same situation appears).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

PC Engine Fan X, if that’s not too much hassle for you and you’re happy to try it, that would be amazing. Thank you. :-)
BIL

Post by BIL »

In addition to its two newer games not running properly on PS2, I'd always heard Toaplan Shooting Battle Vol 1 (Tiger Heli/Kyuukyoku Tiger/Twin Cobra) is picky about non-NTSJC PS1s... however, I've never played it on anything but those, so I'm hesitant to say for sure.

It's late here, suddenly my brain's booting up all the stuff (upsettingly lots of AC ports) that don't run right on PS2. :smile: Namco Museum Encore's Rolling Thunder, Gradius Deluxe Pack, the aforementioned Toaplan SBv1, stage 7 of Gradius Gaiden....

First I'd heard of Xevious 3D/G+ having potential issues, good to know! Had my eye on that one lately.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Final Fantasy Anthology hates older model PS1s, if I remember correctly.

Xevious in Namco Museum v. 2 runs slow on PS2.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

BIL wrote:It's late here, suddenly my brain's booting up all the stuff (upsettingly lots of AC ports) that don't run right on PS2. :smile: Namco Museum Encore's Rolling Thunder, Gradius Deluxe Pack, the aforementioned Toaplan SBv1, stage 7 of Gradius Gaiden....
It's never mentioned that Namco Museum Vol.4 Assault runs slower than the arcade PCB when played on PS2. I've not compared PS2 to PS1 nor PS1 to PCB.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Interesting - I remember you posting that, but I'd assumed you were talking PS1, and figured the arcade board must refresh at a tick over 60hz or something. If such things even exist! PCB newbie here. I know Irem/Seibu boards like sub-60hz refresh, with their PS1/360 ports running a bit faster.
Mero

Post by Mero »

BIL wrote:It's late here, suddenly my brain's booting up all the stuff (upsettingly lots of AC ports) that don't run right on PS2. :smile: Namco Museum Encore's Rolling Thunder,
Wonder Momo as well.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Yeah, I’m very familiar with the PS1 game on PS2 hardware issues (Toaplan Shooting Battle, Gradius Gaiden, etc) and that’s why I always play games on native hardware where possible. This region-specific issue is new to me though. I might look into picking up a JPN PSone and swapping over my mod chip.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

I have a JP PS 1 console that your welcome to try out, I haven't used it for years ( sold my ps1 collection a while back) .

Now the last time I did use it ,it took a while before the disc would read so I can't quarantee it works as I have nothing to try it out.
bikingjahuty

Post by bikingjahuty »

Eh, you aren't missing much. 3D/G+ is the worst shooter I've ever played by far. In fact the whole Xevious series is garbage.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

bikingjahuty wrote:Eh, you aren't missing much. 3D/G+ is the worst shooter I've ever played by far. In fact the whole Xevious series is garbage.
I disagree. The games are simple compared to later shooters, but far from garbage. Not to mention that the pack includes the only official home version of Xevious Arrangement, one of the best games in the series.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

BrianC wrote:
bikingjahuty wrote:Eh, you aren't missing much. 3D/G+ is the worst shooter I've ever played by far. In fact the whole Xevious series is garbage.
I disagree. The games are simple compared to later shooters, but far from garbage. Not to mention that the pack includes the only official home version of Xevious Arrangement, one of the best games in the series.
I disagree too. I have a real fondness for that first generation of polygonal shmups. It hardly sets the genre on fire, but it’s a perfectly playable game.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

BrianC wrote:Final Fantasy Anthology hates older model PS1s, if I remember correctly.

Xevious in Namco Museum v. 2 runs slow on PS2.
Final Fantasy V has wonky save menus. Crash prone on some systems.

Could be lots of games hardly anyone knows about, Sony never made a list of PS1 issues for the PAL PS2.
Except Metal Gear Solid Special Missions is notorious across the pond.