Lightning Weapons

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Squire Grooktook

Lightning Weapons

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Flashy, tricky to program. Shocking, etc. Wondering if anyone has any favorites in mind!

A few off the top of my head

Kamui (secondary attack)
Raystorm and Raycrisis (on the second ship)
Einhander (RIOT gunpod)
R-Type Delta (Cerberus Wave Cannon)
Daioh (Third gun)
Radiant Silvergun (I forget which button...the v shaped laser sight thing)
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BulletMagnet

Re: Lightning Weapons

Post by BulletMagnet »

Lace's weapon in Pink Sweets came most quickly to mind; somewhat unreliable, but the piercing and pure damage (and how cool it looks) still make it worth it.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Truxton's signature weapon is a lightning weapon, right? That one's pretty sweet looking. Also one of the ships in Batsugun has a lightning weapon, IIRC.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

There's a vertical shooter with a blue or green lightning weapon that fires sideways and can bend at a 90-degree angle. I think it was a PC Engine game (Spriggan?), but I can't find any screenshots resembling what I remember.

And you already mentioned Daioh, but Shienryu's lightning weapon is just as cool.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
egg_sanwich

Post by egg_sanwich »

WelshMegalodon wrote:There's a vertical shooter with a blue or green lightning weapon that fires sideways and can bend at a 90-degree angle. I think it was a PC Engine game (Spriggan?), but I can't find any screenshots resembling what I remember.

And you already mentioned Daioh, but Shienryu's lightning weapon is just as cool.
Gunhed’s lightning weapon perhaps?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

egg_sanwich wrote:Gunhed’s lightning weapon perhaps?
That reminds me, Super Aleste/Space Megaforce's "laser" weapon might also count.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

It's not a weapon but the lightning bomb in Steel Empire is kinda cool.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Isn't there a lightning bomb in Strikers III also?

Mars Matrix's pierce isn't either, but looks close enough.
My lord, I have come for you.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Isn't there a lightning bomb in Strikers III also?
Yeah, F-117's bomb.

Sonic Wings Special (Volk's MiG-3 sub weapon)
Giga Wing series ship 1 (Raijin, etc) bomb
Strikers 1945's Zero bomb
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Cyvern's hold-shot lightning burst gets pretty crazy when things are busy.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Wasn't one of Chitta's weapons in Mahou Daisakusen some kind of lightning attack?

Off the cuff I'm also tempted to put Raiden's "toothpaste laser" into at least the "kinda-sorta" category, if only for its ever-charming signature behavioral characteristics.
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

X2 also has a cracking lighting weapon.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

There's this really old freeware shmup called Die Slave which had a pretty cool lightning attack. It wasn't that useful by itself, but when powered up it filled the whole screen.

And the final boss uses the same attack on you. Good luck trying to escape that.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

The Great Ragtime Show/Boogie Wings has a lightning attack that fills the screen when you tap the shot button rapidly.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Forgot about Thunder Force's Thunder Sword and Back Shot/Rail Gun Overweapon
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

The penultimate boss in Nexzr uses an impressive lighning attack, the equivalent from the fourth boss in Axelay is also creative.

Other games where you can use one that come to mind: 1943/1943 Kai, Battle Mania Daiginjou (charge attack - looks glorious), Dogyuun, Dragon Saber, various Fantasy Zone games (via consumable items), Gate of Thunder, Kidou Soukou Dion, Musha Aleste, Rayxanber II, Sapphire (sort of), Winds of Thunder.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

One of the bosses of Valkyrius (stage 4 maybe? The stage with the gunboats with the shockwave attacks) has a fun lightning attack.
1) Create Scoring System
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

If we're including bosses too, then the stage 4 boss of Detana!! TwinBee has a lightning attack. On the PCB the entire screen flashes when it fires, but this doesn't happen in MAME.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Shepardus wrote:If we're including bosses too, then the stage 4 boss of Detana!! TwinBee has a lightning attack. On the PCB the entire screen flashes when it fires, but this doesn't happen in MAME.
Does it happen in the PCE, Saturn, or PSX ports?

edit: It looks like the screen doesn't flash on PCE (no surprise here), but does flash on Saturn and (probably) PSX. Finding footage of the Saturn or PSX version on youtube was hard since a couple of videos of Twinbee Yahhoo were mislabeled as "Detana Twinbee". I had to search by copy and pasting the JP text to find a video of the boss in the Saturn version.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

BrianC wrote:edit: It looks like the screen doesn't flash on PCE (no surprise here)
It appears to flash here (it doesn't always flash in this video but that's probably because it's in 30fps and not 60fps). Maybe someone who's played the game on actual hardware (like Perikles) can confirm.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Shepardus wrote:
BrianC wrote:edit: It looks like the screen doesn't flash on PCE (no surprise here)
It appears to flash here (it doesn't always flash in this video but that's probably because it's in 30fps and not 60fps).
ahh. The video played tricks on me.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Squire Grooktook wrote:tricky to program
If you're Tyrian all you have to do is add bullet sprites shaped like lightning. :P
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Your and the enemy shots in Imagic's Solar Storm for the 2600 are like lightning strikes.

Impossible to avoid - but enemies can only fire once which makes for some interesting tactics. And you can try and hit enemies with their shot remaining by being off centre to them.

Paddle control too - an interesting game that doesn't get a lot of attention.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

One of weapon pickups from Super Star Soldier has lightning weapon. Also one of the attacks of stage 3 boss from Bakuretsu Breaker fires a lightning weapon with really lightning speed.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I knew I was forgetting something, but couldn't place my finger on it until now. The final boss of Nemesis 3 on MSX has a lightning attack. It's one of the few Gradius series final bosses that attacks, though in typical Gradius fashion it's still trivial. GR3's final boss has a similar attack but it's easily safespotted. Might be useful reference for visuals, if not for gameplay.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
nadomodan

Post by nadomodan »

I like the one in touhou fairy wars, it has ice texture but behaves like I would expect lightning weapon to behave.
hotgraphics

Post by hotgraphics »

Chourensha 68k's bomb
FRO

Post by FRO »

LordHypnos wrote:Truxton's signature weapon is a lightning weapon, right? That one's pretty sweet looking. Also one of the ships in Batsugun has a lightning weapon, IIRC.
This is what comes to mind immediately for me. Such a cool weapon for its time.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

IIRC a couple of Shikigami no Shiro characters might qualify...the guy with the hat and sunglasses stands out most easily IMO, but I know there are at least one or two others (I think the kid in 3, at least), though they behave quite differently from most such examples.

Oh, and wasn't Xevious 3D's homing weapon lightning-ish?
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Another enemy weapon: some large turrets in Under Defeat stage 4 shoot lighting thingies that slow down your ship temporarily and destroy any options you have out.
1) Create Scoring System