BATTLE GAREGGA REV.2016 (M2)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
drunkninja24

Re: BATTLE GAREGGA REV.2016 (M2)

Post by drunkninja24 »

Limited Run has heavily implied that they've had something in the works for a English physical release, but nothing definitive yet

but if it does get a western physical release, I'd bet anything it'll be coming from them
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

yeah I know but...no
that was my point

that's exactly the kind of situation I had in mind saying it might not happen, wouldn't be the first time;
- waiting because a publisher said 'oh yes most certainly' or something
- time passes, only available edition (the KR one there) runs out, eol period
- western publisher later barely bothers with announcing they gave up on it

classic scenario

anyway even if I'm wrong and the physical west-localized Garegga happens I've spent only about 50+ zeni on the Korean release, which I can always resell for less if I ever care (not that having some korean text matters much)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
qmish

Post by qmish »

So it looks like some people had to get both premium edition and Korean release
Honster

Post by Honster »

I was wondering if doing Premium is good practice for Arcade or if its hard enough you may as well go straight to Arcade. I can beat super easy, but honestly once I get to Junky Monkey I'm just going downhill at the cost of the extends I've stockpiled. I figure its worth taking at least the ships I havent used through Super Easy to get a little familiarity before going to Arcade/Arrange.

Also where does the name Garegga come from, is it a place in the story?
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

its cos the planes are all rusty and shit and need to go to the garage ..or so i was told many moons ago :lol:
ciox

Post by ciox »

Honster wrote: Also where does the name Garegga come from, is it a place in the story?
The 4 original planes are the "Gareggas", in the final version of the game the names were changed to G-101 etc but in the debug menu you can see older pictures of the plane descriptions.

Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Also, "Garegga" is apparently a misspelling of "garage".
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

ciox wrote:
Honster wrote: Also where does the name Garegga come from, is it a place in the story?
The 4 original planes are the "Gareggas", in the final version of the game the names were changed to G-101 etc but in the debug menu you can see older pictures of the plane descriptions.

Ah, that's a neat tid bit.
Eaglet wrote:Also, "Garegga" is apparently a misspelling of "garage".
That one is weird, i mean, it's Japan but garage? Battle Garage. Eh still sound cool lol
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

Mantrox wrote:
ciox wrote:

Ah, that's a neat tid bit.
Eaglet wrote:Also, "Garegga" is apparently a misspelling of "garage".
That one is weird, i mean, it's Japan but garage? Battle Garage. Eh still sound cool lol
see my post above i was told that in the 2000s probably by someone on here
tbf a lot of the ships and enemies do look real rusted
ciox

Post by ciox »

I think it's time to let "Garage" die, there's no reason why the planes would be called Garage-3 or have Garage as their "G-" abbreviated codename meaning they're called Garage-1301 Wild Snail... Garegga is probably something like the ZIG in Zero Wing, it doesn't have to mean something.

Ok, actually, I got fired up a little and tried to dig up what Garegga COULD mean if it has to mean anything, by googling and filtering out anything to do with shmups, it seems it could be a misspelling or permutation of Gareggia, the Italian word for "to compete", Google Translate won't give you anything if you try to translate "Garegga" but it will accept "Tu Garegga" and turn it into "You Compete" and "Una Garegga" and turn it into "A Race"
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gareggia
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gareggiamento
https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/una%20garegga

This makes a lot more sense than Garage, it would make the game's title Battle Race or Battle Competition or just Battle Battle (in two different languages) for emphasis, and the ships would be something like Competitor-1, Competitor-2, or Fighter-1 etc, something in that vein.
A more correct title would be Battle Gareggiamento, which wouldn't brutalize the Italian language as much, and Gareggiatore-1 for the ships.

Another thing that fits with this is the title of Battle Bakraid, where the "Bakraid" part refers to the airshow battle of the game itself and is synonymous with "battle", Garegga would work the same way in being a reference to the battle of the game instead of some garages.

Also note that this word being Italian is not exactly as random as it seems, Shinobu Yagawa worked on Pink Sweets later in his career and that has a bunch of Italian references in the soundtrack titles and probably other places, references to Italy might be something recurrent with Raizing/CAVE.
GSK

Post by GSK »

"Garegga" is a bullshit word they made up during the planning stages of the game... basically, it's a corruption of Recca, but the individuals involved don't remember exactly where it came from--it might be derived from "Sugoi Recca", or "wagasha no Recca (our [company's] Recca)", something along those lines, and then they tacked on "battle" to make it sound cooler.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

There's also galega-aromated oil, so you can buy a Bottle of Galega.
zak

Post by zak »

Xyga wrote:There's also galega-aromated oil, so you can buy a Bottle of Galega.
Bottle Galega! :mrgreen:
qmish

Post by qmish »

So it's Battre Garegga now
ciox

Post by ciox »

GSK wrote:"Garegga" is a bullshit word they made up during the planning stages of the game... basically, it's a corruption of Recca, but the individuals involved don't remember exactly where it came from--it might be derived from "Sugoi Recca", or "wagasha no Recca (our [company's] Recca)", something along those lines, and then they tacked on "battle" to make it sound cooler.
That makes a lot of sense, where does this info come from, was there any more? I could always go for more interviews or tidbits from the Raizing crew.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Beetle Garage
T4N3

Post by T4N3 »

Bataille Grégoire.
Beam Duel is a religion.
Twatter|Soundclown
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ciox wrote:Garegga is probably something like the ZIG in Zero Wing, it doesn't have to mean something.
ZIG means great justice! ;)

Bettel Galaga!
qmish

Post by qmish »

Now imagine single-screen garegga game.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

That reminds me, did a super robot anime has an attack named Battle Garegga though? I think it was Combattler V.
GSK

Post by GSK »

ciox wrote:
GSK wrote:"Garegga" is a bullshit word they made up during the planning stages of the game... basically, it's a corruption of Recca, but the individuals involved don't remember exactly where it came from--it might be derived from "Sugoi Recca", or "wagasha no Recca (our [company's] Recca)", something along those lines, and then they tacked on "battle" to make it sound cooler.
That makes a lot of sense, where does this info come from, was there any more? I could always go for more interviews or tidbits from the Raizing crew.
I forget the exact source... either the Bluescape book from the PS4 LE or just the devs talking on social media, I'll look it up again sometime.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i'm sticking with the garage thing you guys had to ruin the myth cos you're no fun :lol:
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Brittle Gorilla
BIL

Post by BIL »

All this time I've been reading it as "Battle Gregory." :[

TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Completely off-tangent but has there been any news of this getting released elsewhere yet? UK still hasn't had it, seems a bit of a waste porting to xbone and leaving out one of the only places where it's vaguely popular.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I bought the Asia region version via Play Asia, and just got shipping confirmation today (along with Defenders of Ekron), so I look forward to finally having this game in a physical form that doesn't cost more than a vital organ. However, if LGR decided to make an English-language release, I'd probably be all over that regardless. Better yet, if they work with someone to port it to the Switch :shock:
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Lol, Battle Garage. "Hey man, you put your coin in, then there's a bunch of planes are parked in a garage, and when you pick one it takes off!"
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Initial G
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

I've been AFK from shmups for a while. So if I wanted to buy this off psn, I've gotta get the NA or Jap version if I live in the UK?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

mastermx wrote:I've been AFK from shmups for a while. So if I wanted to buy this off psn, I've gotta get the NA or Jap version if I live in the UK?
If it's not available in your region's PSN, you need to:

1) Make an account in the region you want to buy it from. An internet search will tell you how to do this.

2) Get PSN points in the matching region on that account. You can't use a credit card from the wrong region to buy points directly on PSN, but redeeming a point card will work. Make sure the point card specifically states what region it is for.

3) Redeem the point card on your import account, buy it, and download to your PS4. Once it's on your console, you can log off the import account and play it using any login on that console. But don't lose your login info on your import account, in case you ever replace the console or the hard drive crashes or whatever.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.