Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
wgogh

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by wgogh »

I wish MAME could run Giga Wing 2 without lag, as I don't have a DreamCast. Judging by the videos, it looks great and with a nice soundtrack. I'm stuck with Generations! :?
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

wgogh wrote:I wish MAME could run Giga Wing 2 without lag, as I don't have a DreamCast. Judging by the videos, it looks great and with a nice soundtrack. I'm stuck with Generations! :?
I don't know how good the emulation is, but you could try using one of the Dreamcast emulators to play it. Demul or nullDC or something (Also not sure what's currently up to date). Personally my computer sucks to much to do this. Demul has pretty high system requirements (including Direct X 11, I think), and nullDC gets slowdown when there starts being a lot of objects on screen. I don't think nullDC is still actively maintained. Demul actually supports save states, as I understand it, and will also run Naomi, and a couple of other similar arcade systems like Atomiswave. I think it's more arcade focused than other DC emulators.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
marus

Post by marus »

I messed around with Giga Wing 2 a little bit in Demul, and it varies from running way too fast in certain parts to randomly slowing down in parts where it's not supposed to. I imagine this will vary from computer to computer too. That sucks because I've been having a lot of fun with the game lately too and it'd be cool if more people could play it properly.
qmish

Post by qmish »

demul needs strong enough pc
though there were also different revisions of demul with older/newer mode that differ
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Still doggedly bashing my head against QUZ. I'm struggling with small but ruinous mistakes in the last zone, but the 1LC is definitely coming within reach now. I've watched a lot of different runs with different ships and have been applying their tactics to my own attempts, but I'm interested in the experiences of the Darius players here: were there any key realisations that made this run more doable for you?
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

If you are using a Burst-capable ship that isn't the Assault, the last two stages are basically in the bag when you trigger the counterburst. In stage Z, you have to stay at the very left of the screen near the end of the stage to avoid getting hit by the waves coming from behind, but otherwise it is not too difficult. Before getting to the counterburst, you'll have to abuse the defensive burst and put a diagonal barrier near the middle of the screen. U's early section with the waves coming from both ahead and behind requires a bit of memorization but otherwise isn't too tricky with a bit of experience. The portion in zone Z with the snake and the 5-way enemies is kinda tricky so I try to pre-emptively set-up my burst module and focus on the 5-way enemies.

The majority of GTV's patterns can be made pretty much harmless with the diagonal defensive burst. Most of the time, he throws so much shit at you that it recharges pretty much instantly. Be carfeul with the patterns that have the purple aimed lasers, as they cut through the burst and can let other dangerous bullets pass through your safety net. What I used to do was set up a digonal burst with the module near the top of the screen and make sure to move lower on the screen whenever I hear the laser' build up sound to bait it on the lower part of the screen. I can then move upwards to still stay safe, underneath the diagonal laser.

The second pattern where GTV moves at the bottom of the screen is one of the trickiest but once he is done firing its huge blue laser you can also put a defensive net on the bottom left side of the screen, so that you can be aligned with the boss and hit it with your shot. You'll also have to use the baiting tactics to deal with the purple lasers.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

qmish wrote:demul needs strong enough pc
That is whats stoppin me. But anyway, theres a bunch of good shmups out there. GW1 is very good too.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Thanks a lot, M.Knight - I appreciate the detailed pointers! Yeah, my experience with GTV has been pretty much exactly as you described. If I throw out the fixed burst from the top of the screen and point it down, then stay near-ish to the burst unit itself and bait the purple lasers away from it, I can deal with most of his phases fairly effortlessly, except for the second one you mentioned. I've been trying to do pretty much what you said, but it's definitely the part where the most mistakes happen (even the notably nastier ones toward the end of his cycle have caused me less trouble). I'll get it eventually!

As for the stages themselves, I'm fine with everything up to the midpoint of Z, where I've actually started ignoring the potential counterburst and continuing to play defensively, but I think I'll go back to trying to get the counter, and following your advice.

Edit: doing better already! 1LC with all counterbursts up to GTV. Everything went terribly from there, but it's a real confidence booster, heh.
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marus

Post by marus »

LordHypnos wrote:It would also be really nice if I could actually consistently get the volcanons in stage 1, because it seems to double to triple my stage 1 score. Unfortunately I can't find any videos of Romi stage 1 anywhere, and at higher difficulties there are a lot more bullets and therefore a lot more medals, so the volcanons seem like they'd be easier to get. I'm guessing this is why Romi isn't as popular for score play, actually. I can get some decent volcanons on the boss, though. I'm very curious to see how my score will turn out once I get the ALL, though that's probably a long way away.
I just found a really good Romi run on Nicovideo, with a score of 72 quadrillion. I think this was linked in the original high score thread but that link got delisted.

I tried to ignore triggering volcanons until I could clear the game somewhat consistently. I found that the score attack mode really helps for learning how to survive the later stages, because the game gets really memorization heavy from stage 4 onwards. Forcing myself to pick predetermined spots to bomb really helped my consistency.

I've found that playing the game for score is pretty silly, but in a fun way. So far I've only really practiced volcanons for stages 1 and 2 but even just learning those skyrocketed my score compared to my first 1CC. In most other shmups stage 1 is just there as a tutorial but in this game increasing your multiplier early on nets big gains even if you just play the rest of the game for survival. It might be harder to pull off with Romi though since she has a less optimal stage order compared to other characters.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Klatrymadon wrote:Edit: doing better already! 1LC with all counterbursts up to GTV. Everything went terribly from there, but it's a real confidence booster, heh.
Nice! Getting the 1LC run is definitely within your grasp now! :)
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

marus wrote:
I just found a really good Romi run on Nicovideo, with a score of 72 quadrillion. I think this was linked in the original high score thread but that link got delisted.
Thank you so much for this!! :D I actually tried searching nicovideo, but I didn't know how to write Romi in Japanese characters, so it was a futile search.
I tried to ignore triggering volcanons until I could clear the game somewhat consistently. I found that the score attack mode really helps for learning how to survive the later stages, because the game gets really memorization heavy from stage 4 onwards. Forcing myself to pick predetermined spots to bomb really helped my consistency.
I have been using score attack for practicing for sure. I just don't have everything in muscle memory yet. I know that I should try to go for the clear first, but it's really hard to resist scoring in Takumi games. lol. It was kind of the same with Mars Matrix. My first clear was already with a multiplier of 2,000,000 or so (My highest now is 3.8 million 8) ), just because I couldn't help myself. Probably made it take a lot longer to clear than it would have otherwise. :P
I've found that playing the game for score is pretty silly, but in a fun way. So far I've only really practiced volcanons for stages 1 and 2 but even just learning those skyrocketed my score compared to my first 1CC. In most other shmups stage 1 is just there as a tutorial but in this game increasing your multiplier early on nets big gains even if you just play the rest of the game for survival. It might be harder to pull off with Romi though since she has a less optimal stage order compared to other characters.
Yeah, geometrically increasing scoring systems are pretty wacky this way :lol:
1) Create Scoring System
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Forgot I had Ether Vapor Remaster, so I fired it up for the first time in forever. Still fun.
LordHypnos wrote:
wgogh wrote:I wish MAME could run Giga Wing 2 without lag, as I don't have a DreamCast. Judging by the videos, it looks great and with a nice soundtrack. I'm stuck with Generations! :?
I don't know how good the emulation is, but you could try using one of the Dreamcast emulators to play it. Demul or nullDC or something (Also not sure what's currently up to date). Personally my computer sucks to much to do this. Demul has pretty high system requirements (including Direct X 11, I think), and nullDC gets slowdown when there starts being a lot of objects on screen. I don't think nullDC is still actively maintained. Demul actually supports save states, as I understand it, and will also run Naomi, and a couple of other similar arcade systems like Atomiswave. I think it's more arcade focused than other DC emulators.
nullDC should work on pretty much anything from the last 10 years, although you'll probably need to fiddle a lot with video settings on weaker machines. Played a lot of Ikaruga and Border Down with it though, and a bit of Senko no Ronde with it absolutely AGES ago.
Haven't actually tried GW2 though.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Demul is more accurate (with few exceptions like Shenmue 1-2) and also covers arcades like Naomi and Hikaru, but yeah NullDC might be ok for needs.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Played some Super Aleste for the first time in I don't know how long last night, what an utterly bizarre game it is. Just seems to be a case of throwing everything and anything at the wall weapon wise. Levels are too long, some are far more enjoyable than others, just a bit of a mess really, though still somewhat enjoyable.

I also confirmed that all these years on, R-Type III still bores me senseless.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

After figuring out a decent route for stage 5 of GW2, and doing a little more practice on stage 4 followed by a ton of failed runs that ended on stage 3, I decided to play a little Zero Gunner 2 for a break. Also I played RefleX for the first time in a while the other day, and it still feels kinda bullshit to me, even though I'm more at peace with enemy collisions than I used to be now. That combined with the obscene length (almost an hour, FFS) makes me wonder if I'll ever be able to bring myself to try to learn it. There is a lot of upside in spite of its flaws.
1) Create Scoring System
SpryteMix

Post by SpryteMix »

Most recent shmups just casually were DaiOuJou and R-Type Leo for the first time ever.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

I figured out a route for stage 6 of Giga Wing 2. It's a lot harder than stage 5, but it's also super fun. Otherwise just practiced stages 4 and 5 a little to make sure I don't forget them and to get them further ingrained into my memory.
1) Create Scoring System
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Playing a bit of Giga Wing 1

I feel like stage 5 is the only fun stage in the game. But it's really fucking fun.

I honestly can't stand the opening 3 stages. Barely anything of consequence gets shot at you (especially on lava opener with Nun or Stuck).

But I really like that end game.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Playing a bit of Giga Wing 1

I feel like stage 5 is the only fun stage in the game. But it's really fucking fun.

I honestly can't stand the opening 3 stages. Barely anything of consequence gets shot at you (especially on lava opener with Nun or Stuck).

Maybe that's why I could never get into the first GW game. Never actually made it to stage 4. Also it's too long, and just felt kind of stiff and slow paced. That being said, I might find it less frustrating these days as I've gotten a lot better since then.
1) Create Scoring System
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

I played Giga Wing with Ruby and felt her stage order was more enjoyable than Stuck's. The first few stages aren't the greatest by any means, but the scoring system really helps patch up the flaws. The 5th stage on the other hand is absolutely spectacular, it really shows GW at its finest in survival and scoring. The aesthetics are also quite mystical with that delicious colour palette and the propulsive yet smooth soundtrack. It's certainly the one stage where there's no shortage of enemy fire to reflect.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

^Yeah, I think I'll def try Ruby when I inevitably get back into original GW. Her stage order was too hard for me before (lava stage last, IIRC), but I bet I'll be more able to handle it now. I think I do prefer faster planes in shmups generally.

Was working on figuring out a route for the final stage of Giga Wing 2. It's real freakin' hard. Probably harder than any part of Mars Matrix (Though I suppose the fact that you get bombs in GW2 might make a difference, but then again tap shielding in MM is a lot safer than the reflect force)
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Nothing of late, but after a week hiatus on the left coast I am itching to get back.
My lord, I have come for you.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Giga Wing 2 -- So after doing full run attempts until I finally improved my score and made it to stage 6, I realize that I still need a lot of practice on stage 4. Also on the first 3 stages -_-; I also can't seem to consistently get the safespot in stage 7 to work, so that sucks. If I made it there with 1-2 extra lives and a few bombs maybe that'd be fine, but I don't think I will be any time soon.

Other stuff I've been playing: Fantasy Zone II System 16 version -- almost got a bad end 1cc of this, but I didn't actually know how to beat the second to last boss, so not quite there yet. Twinkle Star Sprites -- have made it to Mevious a few times in story mode, and to Memory (or wtv the one after Mevious is called) once or twice with nanja monja. This is a pretty sweet game, though I'm sure it's best in versus mode.
1) Create Scoring System
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

Deathsmiles. So close to 1cc but not yet!
marus

Post by marus »

I did a bunch of Giga Wing 2 stage 2 & 3 practice this weekend. I found out that the "Restart" option doesn't restart the entire run but restarts you from the current stage. I feel really dumb for not figuring that earlier, but I'm glad that option exists as otherwise practicing the later stages would have been a nightmare. Using restarts I managed put together a run where I left stage 3 with a x942,540,242 multiplier, maxed out the multiplier in stage 4, and cleared the game with 62 quadrillion points (just under Rob's score). Of course this was with near-perfect execution; I'm not consistent enough to pull this off in a real yet without a ton of grinding, but it gives me a good benchmark for what kind of scores I can get with my current routes.

Multiplier progression:
Stage 1: x520,000,000 (wasn't recording during this time so I forgot the exact multiplier and score)
Stage 2: x694,457,940
Stage 3: x942,540,242
Stage 4: x999,999,999 (maxed out during the popcorn rush after the midboss space shuttle thing).
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

1cc'd Gigawing

No missed up until TLB. Only lost 1 life to him. Third time ever encountering him.

I stand by my statement that nothing in the game is fun or interesting until stage 5.

But damn is stage 5 onward fun. Fuck. Stage 5 is incredible in every way (patterns, art, atmosphere, etc.)
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i been meaning to try play gigawang i want a non stressful shooter to play as i've got ptsd at the moment :lol:
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Playing a bit of Giga Wing 1

Yeah, the first half of Giga Wing is almost unbearable. Once you know where to use the reflect barrier, the only danger is falling asleep. I like 5 through 7 pretty well, but I seldom replay Giga Wing because of those first four stages.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Still working on Giga Wang 2. I think I have a pretty good route for stage 7 now, finally, though it needs more practice. Both 6 and 7 are really quite fun to play even though they're very hard. It reminds me a lot of how much I enjoy playing the final boss of Mars Matrix. It's been an age since I last did that, I should really practice that shit. Can't get rusty when I plan on eventually breaking the 2 trillion point and / or 4 million experience barrier. But for now it's GW2 (for which a mere 2 trillion would be a pretty sad showing).
1) Create Scoring System
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Revisiting route CGL on DBAC after clearing QUZ. I forgot that with the normal version of Great Thing it's actually quite easy to exhaust your fixed burst meter at a very inopportune moment. :P