gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Octo-King

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by Octo-King »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
Octo-King wrote:What are some high quality male to male component cables you guys recommend for the output of the gcompsw?
I’ve been really happy with https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id= ... 1&format=2

It’s a thick gauge with a thick jacket spacing the lines. And the connectors are pretty grippy.

The only thing I don’t like about them is they’re not super flexible. So super short runs can be a bit of a pain to get neatly managed.
They look very similar to the OG Xbox component cables. A big problem I had was the death grip they had. The audio cables are also hard to put side by side on my framemeister. But the gcompsw looks spaced out enough.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
Octo-King wrote:What are some high quality male to male component cables you guys recommend for the output of the gcompsw?
I’ve been really happy with https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id= ... 1&format=2

It’s a thick gauge with a thick jacket spacing the lines. And the connectors are pretty grippy.

The only thing I don’t like about them is they’re not super flexible. So super short runs can be a bit of a pain to get neatly managed.
If I had to buy again, I'd get some of those premium ones.

I bought some of Monoprice's cheaper component and S-Video cables, but they weren't perfect. The cabling seems quite good, but the cable itself is quite wide (kind of like a super-thick ribbon cable); the audio lines are a) dinky compared to the video lines, and b) the left and right wires are on opposite sides of the cable, which makes routing audio a little awkward; and the RCA connectors aren't terribly grippy (they keep sliding off of my RCA to BNC adapters).
Zebpro

Post by Zebpro »

Hi there,

Can the sync switch be toggle on the fly when the gscartsw_lite is powered on or should I powered it off before?
In love with Shmups since Knightmare and Nemesis/Gradius 2 on MSX. :D
I bought a PSTwo just for Gradius V. :mrgreen:

May the PowerUp be with you!!!! 8)
superg

Post by superg »

Zebpro wrote:Hi there,

Can the sync switch be toggle on the fly when the gscartsw_lite is powered on or should I powered it off before?
Can be done on the fly, shouldn't be any problem.
Zebpro

Post by Zebpro »

superg wrote:
Zebpro wrote:Hi there,

Can be done on the fly, shouldn't be any problem.
OK, thanks. :)
In love with Shmups since Knightmare and Nemesis/Gradius 2 on MSX. :D
I bought a PSTwo just for Gradius V. :mrgreen:

May the PowerUp be with you!!!! 8)
Orrimarrko

Post by Orrimarrko »

Woo hoo!
Last edited by Orrimarrko on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orrimarrko on: sega-naomi.com, neo-geo.com, nintendoage.com, atariage.com, cheapassgamer.com, and digitpress.com

No_anchovies on ebay
superg

Post by superg »

It's live, order your units :)
loukey

Post by loukey »

Yippee!! :)
Orrimarrko

Post by Orrimarrko »

superg wrote:It's live, order your units :)
Done and done. Thanks!

Will they ship this week? Thanks.
Orrimarrko on: sega-naomi.com, neo-geo.com, nintendoage.com, atariage.com, cheapassgamer.com, and digitpress.com

No_anchovies on ebay
ledfrog

Post by ledfrog »

Finally got one!! Thanks!! :D
Octo-King

Post by Octo-King »

It's probably a bit early but any timeline on the component switch availability?
superg

Post by superg »

Octo-King wrote:It's probably a bit early but any timeline on the component switch availability?
I will have to wait for some time because it was very slow.
bruceg

Post by bruceg »

Ordered my unit - can't wait to hook everything up. Thanks superg!
Ganiman

Post by Ganiman »

Order placed - can't wait to finally have this thing :mrgreen:

Any estimate on shipping times?
Danexmurder

Post by Danexmurder »

Just joined up to say that I ordered my unit. Can't wait to use it!
ShoothimNow

Post by ShoothimNow »

Order Placed! Thank you!
badwhite40

Post by badwhite40 »

Another order here! Thanks
Mendion

Post by Mendion »

Okay. I learned that my country (Argentina) is banned for buying from http://www.gretrostuff.com, since the 9999 USD cost on shipping.

That is very dissapointing. I saw that in the past, I guy from Chile had the same issue and asked superg to unban his country for shipping.

Argentina had a lot of issues in the past with customs but now it has been 2 years that is working properly. I bought around 15 things during 2017 and a few more during this year. Never had an issue. Average time of arrival is 1 month.

Please, if you can unban my country, I will buy a gscart_lite unit right away. I was waiting for this day for a month...

Thanks.
superg

Post by superg »

Mendion wrote:Okay. I learned that my country (Argentina) is banned for buying from http://www.gretrostuff.com, since the 9999 USD cost on shipping.

That is very dissapointing. I saw that in the past, I guy from Chile had the same issue and asked superg to unban his country for shipping.

Argentina had a lot of issues in the past with customs but now it has been 2 years that is working properly. I bought around 15 things during 2017 and a few more during this year. Never had an issue. Average time of arrival is 1 month.

Please, if you can unban my country, I will buy a gscart_lite unit right away. I was waiting for this day for a month...

Thanks.
No, sorry. I lost the switch to Chile. Use the proxy shipping services like shipito.com etc. You buy and ship to their US address and they forward it to you - this way I'm not responsible for anything but the US shipping.
Mendion

Post by Mendion »

superg:

Can you provide me the weight and the dimensions of the package? I need it to calculate how much the shipping cost will be.

Thanks.
superg

Post by superg »

Mendion wrote:superg:

Can you provide me the weight and the dimensions of the package? I need it to calculate how much the shipping cost will be.

Thanks.
12x8x4 box up to 2lb.
Denxing

Post by Denxing »

sorry for posting in this thread. i dont have another way to contact you? i put my order in and it went through on paypals side but then redirected me to a page on your site that said my order was cancelled. used my account fakeaddress182@yahoo.com
6arm79

Post by 6arm79 »

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I was curious if the integrated video amplifier has a low pass filter, or if it is disabled? Also, out of curiosity, what is the purpose of amplifying the signal? Thanks
Mendion

Post by Mendion »

Order Placed!

I will use the Shipito service. It is quite expensive but I have no other option.

Does the shipping have a tracking number?

Hope all this effort pays off with razor sharp pixels on my CRT!
morfeo

Post by morfeo »

Any particular superguns that is causing problems, or is it all superguns? So we should avoid using this with a supergun?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

morfeo wrote:Any particular superguns that is causing problems, or is it all superguns? So we should avoid using this with a supergun?
As I understand it, the primary culprit was a supergun model from Windy Gaming that had a poorly labeled switch in the back that would destruct the gscartsw when set to the wrong position because it was sending wayyyyy too much power down the audio lines for the scart standard.
superg

Post by superg »

Denxing wrote:sorry for posting in this thread. i dont have another way to contact you? i put my order in and it went through on paypals side but then redirected me to a page on your site that said my order was cancelled. used my account fakeaddress182@yahoo.com
Responded.
6arm79 wrote:Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I was curious if the integrated video amplifier has a low pass filter, or if it is disabled? Also, out of curiosity, what is the purpose of amplifying the signal? Thanks
There is no any filter on gscartsw_lite (there was one on gscartsw v3.4). Analog signal tends to fade down the wire, amplification corrects that.
Mendion wrote:Order Placed!

I will use the Shipito service. It is quite expensive but I have no other option.

Does the shipping have a tracking number?

Hope all this effort pays off with razor sharp pixels on my CRT!
Yes, the package is tracked. I will start shipping on Wednesday. First come first served, as always. To everybody - please don't PM me with shipping questions, I plan to have everything shipped this week.
morfeo wrote:Any particular superguns that is causing problems, or is it all superguns? So we should avoid using this with a supergun?
DirkSwizzler wrote: As I understand it, the primary culprit was a supergun model from Windy Gaming that had a poorly labeled switch in the back that would destruct the gscartsw when set to the wrong position because it was sending wayyyyy too much power down the audio lines for the scart standard.
This and I generally don't provide any arcade support, too many things to troubleshoot, use it at your own risk.
morfeo

Post by morfeo »

superg wrote: This and I generally don't provide any arcade support, too many things to troubleshoot, use it at your own risk.
Thanks for the answer.

Then my question would be to other people in this thread, did anybody use the gscart with other superguns? What was your experience? I own the original gscart, and i want to buy a lite, but i am a little hesistant if i cant plug my supergun into it.
loukey

Post by loukey »

morfeo wrote:
superg wrote: This and I generally don't provide any arcade support, too many things to troubleshoot, use it at your own risk.
Thanks for the answer.

Then my question would be to other people in this thread, did anybody use the gscart with other superguns? What was your experience? I own the original gscart, and i want to buy a lite, but i am a little hesistant if i cant plug my supergun into it.
It shouldn't be a problem in general. The Windy one was driving speaker-level voltage through the scart audio lines. It doesn't even sorta make sense to do this, but if you read many pages back, the creator of the Windy city supergun was defending it as he has a switch that takes this amplified signal and reduces it.

Edit: Here is a link that takes you to relevant discussion about the cause of the issue and the conclusion. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50851&start=1835
superg

Post by superg »

loukey wrote: It shouldn't be a problem in general. The Windy one was driving speaker-level voltage through the scart audio lines. It doesn't even sorta make sense to do this, but if you read many pages back, the creator of the Windy city supergun was defending it as he has a switch that takes this amplified signal and reduces it.
Yeah, but the switch didn't have any label and there was no reliable way to know the current setting. But now I'm not so sure about his video circuit because I had units with busted sync multiplexers so there might be another issue.