Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ikaruga11

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Ikaruga11 »

So I want my SNES to output an 8:7 image for GameBoy games and most SNES games. What is the best way to do this?

I heard the OSSC can change the aspect ratio to 8:7. Does this create any input lag or image degradation?
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

Have a 1CHIP-01 Super Famicom, would like to use composite sync as sync. Best way to go about this, including any attenuation information if necessary?

Was half planning to go the extra mile and install a Voultar chip but for now I figure this would be fine.

Using an official GC SCART lead.
kazaakas@hotmail.com

Post by kazaakas@hotmail.com »

I so often hear people talk about CRT's great black levels, but my recently purchased BVM-D24 shows quite a bit of illuminant grey during (nearly) black scenes. This is after setting the brightness and contrast. It is extremely visible when viewing it in a pitch black room, but not as much with the lights on. Is this to be expected or can it be fixed? It has 26k hours.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

You shouldn't have adjusted the brightness and contrast without a colorimeter. Calibrate your display and you'll see the deep blacks.
FBX

Post by FBX »

GeneraLight wrote:So I want my SNES to output an 8:7 image for GameBoy games and most SNES games. What is the best way to do this?

I heard the OSSC can change the aspect ratio to 8:7. Does this create any input lag or image degradation?
It's complicated, but here's how you can do it for 4x scale at optimal timing:

Code: Select all

Video in Proc: Video LPF = 9 Mhz

Output options:

240p/288p = Line4x

Line4X mode = 256x240 optim.

256x240 aspect = 8:7

Sampling Opt >>> Adv. Timing >>> 256x240:

H. samplerate = 341
H. synclen = 25
H. backporch = 38
H. active = 257 (not 256 because of off center borders)
V. Synclen = 3
V. backporch = 23
V. active = 224

Sampling Opt:

Sampling phase: Use checkerboard pattern from 240p test suite to dial in perfect phase.

This will net either a 1284x896 output or a 1286x896 output. The OSSC randomly decides each time a game is booted.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Thanks FBX. Do you know if that will add any input lag or soften the image?
FBX

Post by FBX »

GeneraLight wrote:Thanks FBX. Do you know if that will add any input lag or soften the image?
No lag, and it's an optimal timing profile for 4x, so if it works on your system, it will look digitally sharp.
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

I have a question relating to the GB/GBA cartridge bus signals. Specifically the signal shown here as "reset" https://dhole.github.io/media/gameboy_s ... e_pins.jpg

Is this signal driven low during normal game operation? As far as I know, driving it low reboots the GB/GBA, so I wouldn't think any games use it.

The reason I ask is because using the "reset to menu" button on the GB Everdrive X7 cartridge causes my GBA HDMI adapter to lose sync with the GBA. I'm trying to find a way to resync things when that occurs. My idea so far is to use that reset signal from the cartridge bus to trigger the FPGA "program" pin, that way when the everdrive reboots the FPGA does as well allowing it to resync. I can use some NAND chips to ensure that the reset signal is only allowed to re-program the FPGA when the GBA is running a GB/GBC game.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

FBX wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:Thanks FBX. Do you know if that will add any input lag or soften the image?
No lag, and it's an optimal timing profile for 4x, so if it works on your system, it will look digitally sharp.
Thanks. It's for a CRT.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Are there any CRT/VGA monitors that accept RGsB but wont accept RGBHV or RGBs?

I'm thinking about doing the sync on green disable mod for my PS2 and I don't really feel like making a switch.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

GeneraLight wrote:
FBX wrote:
Thanks. It's for a CRT.
Or you could reduce the H size...
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Einzelherz wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:Thanks. It's for a CRT.
Or you could reduce the H size...
I could do that. Can that be set on a pet-channel basis?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I have an issue with an XBox 360:

It is connected with HDMI to a receiver and it has been working flawlessly, however it now powers on from a wireless controller with solid green lights, but there's no picture or sound, and the lights on the controller just flashes. I've tried different HDMI cables, and an original component cable to no avail. I've been on Google trying to find out if something's broken inside or if it's some software hiccup, but sources never mention the blinking controller lights. It's a J-Tagged unit, so not connected to the Internet.

I've tried removing discs and the HDD, doesn't help. Anyone?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I have no idea if a controller with a bad sync can influence the booting of the console itself or not, maybe this is silly, but in case you could try the sync button on the console.
Maybe remove and reload the batteries befrore trying it. Dunno just random idea, good luck.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Xyga wrote:I have no idea if a controller with a bad sync can influence the booting of the console itself or not, maybe this is silly, but in case you could try the sync button on the console.
Maybe remove and reload the batteries befrore trying it. Dunno just random idea, good luck.
This is great input, thanks. I should have mentioned that I've tried re-syncing the controllers and also did try the video mode reset by holding down Y and RT, but since the controller lights just blink, I don't think they even register when I push buttons.

My NTSC-J unit I have in an EGRET II will always start even if the controller acts up (I always use wired controllers for it). Hmmm, maybe I should try syncing the controllers to that just to be sure?

The 360 that's acting up isn't mine, so I feel really bad this has happened all of a sudden.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Dunno yeah you could try a wired.

Or your receiver sent back a death signal and fried that 360 for good lol. :mrgreen:

The 360's quirks, I swear, I have two supposedly identical specs HDMI cables of a convenient short lenght I often use, and one definitely won't show anyhting if it's the 360. Everything else is okay.

EDIT: tried another PSU btw ?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Xyga wrote:tried another PSU btw ?
I do have a spare, so I will try that. I was dead sure it was HDMI related, like a handshake issue, but since the component cable didn't work either, I dunno. I remember the picture disappearing once in a while If I adjusted the volume on the receiver. This hasn't happened with anything else I have connected to this receiver. I had forgotten about this, but now I'm kinda worried my receiver might have caused this.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I don't even know if such a risk exists, never heard of a receiver killing machines but...it's my nature to suspect everything, sorry. ^^

Out of the millions of 360 problems you can google there's also apparently the possibility of the video card croaking without a warning.
Hope for you it's nothing in that fashion. :/
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Hope for you it's nothing in that fashion. :/
You and me both. I hate it when electronics break, and I have to much shame in my body to wrap this XBox in towels then return it to the rightful like nothing happened.
kazaakas@hotmail.com

So I've heard that the VRC6 (expansion audio) emulation on the Everdrive N8 is pretty bad on a NES modded for expansion audio. But does anyone know how the Famicom version of the N8 performs on an actual Famicom with Famicom ROMs? I would assume there would be no need for emulation and hence no sound problems, but that's just guesswork.

Since I'm European I'm going to have to import a NES/Famicom anyway to play at 60Hz, so might as well get myself the best option.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

kazaakas@hotmail.com wrote:So I've heard that the VRC6 (expansion audio) emulation on the Everdrive N8 is pretty bad on a NES modded for expansion audio. But does anyone know how the Famicom version of the N8 performs on an actual Famicom with Famicom ROMs? I would assume there would be no need for emulation and hence no sound problems, but that's just guesswork.

Since I'm European I'm going to have to import a NES/Famicom anyway to play at 60Hz, so might as well get myself the best option.
I got an AV Famicom since it's the smallest and sleekest console, has Expansion audio, the expansion port, has the Multi-Out port for convenience and no plastic cutting, no lockout chip, small 60 pin famicom everdrive instead of giant 72 pin nes everdrive, has the best composite video output, accepts nes controllers and accessories, etc.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Famicom is 72
NES is 62

Little cart with alot of pins
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Has anyone ever purchased an RGB modded N64 from eBay seller "doujindance?" I was curious as to the quality of their work, what kind of amp they use etc.
kazaakas@hotmail.com

GeneraLight wrote:
kazaakas@hotmail.com wrote:So I've heard that the VRC6 (expansion audio) emulation on the Everdrive N8 is pretty bad on a NES modded for expansion audio. But does anyone know how the Famicom version of the N8 performs on an actual Famicom with Famicom ROMs? I would assume there would be no need for emulation and hence no sound problems, but that's just guesswork.

I got an AV Famicom since it's the smallest and sleekest console, has Expansion audio, the expansion port, has the Multi-Out port for convenience and no plastic cutting, no lockout chip, small 60 pin famicom everdrive instead of giant 72 pin nes everdrive, has the best composite video output, accepts nes controllers and accessories, etc.
Cool, I'm thinking about buying such a console. Just to get back at my previous questiuon: have you tested it with any flash carts with expansion audio games like Castlevania III?
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

kazaakas@hotmail.com wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:

Cool, I'm thinking about buying such a console. Just to get back at my previous questiuon: have you tested it with any flash carts with expansion audio games like Castlevania III?
No I haven't.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

ross wrote:Do any original Xbox games natively run at 720p/1080i?

Soft-modded Xboxs give you the option of enabling 480p/720p/1080i individually, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to enable the last two, especially if the upscaling's inferior to scaling on modern displays.
Yes. When you say you can enable each of those individually, does that mean you can only have one of the resolutions enabled at a time, or multiple at a time?

It's worth enabling it for 720p, but not 1080i in my opinion. There's at 58 games that can out 720p, but only 7 that can do 1080i.

720p Xbox Games:

25 To Life
American Chopper 2: Full Throttle
Amped 2
Atari Anthology
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Codename: Kids Next Door - Operation: V.I.D.E.O.G.A.M.E.
Crash Nitro Kart
Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure
Double S.T.E.A.L The Second Clash
Dragon's Lair 3D: Return to the Lair
ESPN Major League Baseball
ESPN NBA Basketball
ESPN NFL Football
Enter the Matrix
Eragon
Evil Dead: Regeneration
FIFA 06 Soccer
FIFA 07 Soccer
FIFA Street
FIFA Street 2
Freedom Fighters
I-Ninja
Justice League Heroes
MVP 06: NCAA Baseball
MVP Baseball 2004
MVP Baseball 2005
MX Unleashed
MX vs. ATV Unleashed
Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
NBA 2K3
NBA Ballers
NBA Live 06
NBA Live 07
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Ricochet Lost Worlds
Scarface: The World Is Yours
Sega GT Online
Soul Calibur II
Steel Battalion: Line of Contact
Street Hoops
Syberia
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
The Sims 2
The Sims Bustin' Out
The Urbz: Sims in the City
The Warriors
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Tony Hawk's Underground
Tony Hawk's Underground 2
Total Overdose: A Gunslinger's Tale in Mexico
True Crime: Streets of LA
Virtual Pool: Tournament Edition
World Series Baseball 2K3
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

1080i Xbox Games:

Atari Anthology
Double S.T.E.A.L The Second Clash
Dragon's Lair 3D: Return to the Lair
Enter the Matrix
MX Unleashed
MX vs. ATV Unleashed
Syberia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_X ... play_modes
Kez

Post by Kez »

I may be wrong on this, but my understanding of expansion audio is that the audio is generated by a chip on the cartridge and then muxed into the main audio, so even if you have an AV Famicom, the expansion audio will still be emulated on a flashcart.

The Famicoms simply have pins in the cartridge slot that are able to pass audio into and receive audio out from the cartridge.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Regarding my XBox 360 issues a few posts up, I have sorta good and some bad news. The bad news: a different power supply didn't make any difference. Nor did a wired controller. Controller lights keep flashing. I've also tried holding down the power on button to see if it resets itself, but no dice. The only good news is that the owner of this machine told me to consider it mine at no charge, so at least I won't have to buy him a new one. I will try searching Youtube for tips now.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Wow, cool guy *thumbsup*

EDIT; now it's yours consider the ultimate repair move ... ... hit it multiple times until you get a picture.

:p
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

480p Dreamcast through a Toro box, still has sync issues with BVM-D series monitors (since VCR/AFC can't be turned on for 31khz/480p), correct? What do you do to fix this? Have it export RGBHV signal which you run through something like an Extron RGB Rxi 203 (to merge it to RGBS)?

Does it do this with the PVM-20L5 and 14L5 as well?