Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Gara

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by Gara »

donluca wrote:You haven't clearly read the entire thread and just picked and extracted single quotes out of their context to your liking.

Please go back from wherever you came.
I've looked through quite a few. He thinks multicore cables are snake oil and looks down on this forum as you are all apparently a bunch of unhelpful people with oscilloscopes who should spend more time playing games and less on analyzing them.

It's not like this is one off post I am commenting on. It goes on page after page with dozens of posts. I'm just curious what people seem to think of this person and company. It's like running a support forum on 4chan and I was curious what others think of them.
Wolf_ wrote:f you want to hold their unprofessional actions against them for getting baited online that is fine but the company is making things right for its customers so there is no reason not to trust them. You're clearly just someone that feeds off drama and is trying to provoke some kind of reaction weeks after all the controversy has been resolved.

You've failed. Move along.
Weeks ago? It's an ongoing issue... I'm not really commenting on the product as the fixed board isn't in customers hands yet. It's the people making it and the public face of the company I'm curious about.
Last edited by Gara on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Fair go, sure they were baited but it was some pretty poor PR work that followed.

Latest one was a dude that had to join neo, read 50 pages of slop before not even coming to an answer about how long it would be before his device arrived.
The response was... circle jerk is the perfect word.

Letting an admin or other members jump on an uneducated customer like that is so bad for buisness.

And you can go Google the product and buy it without seeing a single warning, it's only when you try to check the item details do you get a quickly written paragraph pointing you to the neo thread.

My efforts to show neo PR why this is wrong was met with passive aggressive responses so perfect I had to check he wasn't an ex girlfriend.

Untill I have the product in my hand I'm signing off. I dont need to take part in this show anymore.
Kez

Post by Kez »

You may not agree with or like everything they have said, but there really is nothing to suggest that they won't deliver a quality product in the end. Maybe some of the RGB issues could have been avoided, but ultimately they took a pretty big hit to make things right - not everyone would have done that. The NeoSD has been around for a while now and they have continued to support it well.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Syntax wrote:Latest one was a dude that had to join neo, read 50 pages of slop before not even coming to an answer about how long it would be before his device arrived.
The response was... circle jerk is the perfect word.
This was their response:
neosd wrote:Hello,

our plan was shipping all units first week of january (in worst scenario).
Unfortunally some of the first customers were not happy with the RGB output so this totally screwed the schelude.
We given all the avaliable infomation here since day one. Its impossible to know when we are going to ship, we know we should start shipping back in about 17 days since now, but cause how factoring works its really impossible to give dates until we have stock.

I am glad that darsof customers are happy having such acurate info, this is great.

Thanks for your coments and for leting us know that paradise arcades is a great place and we can buy such a nice piece of hardware from them.
and
neosd wrote:Factoring is quite complex, one has to live it to understand it.

Let me try to explain it :

We submit a pcbs order and usually you get the pcbs in 3 weeks after you submit it. Then you need to get a slot in SMT factory to get the chips soldered on the pcbs.

Until SMT factory dosen´t has all the parts needed to make the work, you can´t get a soldering date cause they can´t put your order in the schelude.

So, lets say that you submit a pcbs order oon 1st february, you should get the pcbs about 21th of february but depending which day you have submited the order to the pcbs factory, you have a delay of 4 or 5 days cause they never process your pcbs order alone, they need to put more pcbs from other cutomers at the same time.

Lets say everything was ok and you have the pcbs the last week of frebruary, you ship those to the SMT factory and you wait for soldering slot. Until the pcbs arrive there, its impossible to know when the pcbs are going to be soldered, cause the pcbs may arrive in a moment when there is small load of work on the factory or they may arrive in a moment when there is something urgent.

So, is this the situation with Super SD Sytem 3 order as today ? NO, ITS NOT.

Super Sd System 3 got URGENT threatment from both factories, cause there was an issue that affected our busines and production needs to be speeded up.

In a normal situation we need about 2 months to produce a batch (having the chips), but this time we had to submit two pcbs batches to factory (one to try the new design to sure there isn´t any mistake) and another one to mass produce it (once we have validated the new design)
We got the first pcbs last friday (8 days ago), we soldered those the same friday and we saw that everything was ok, so last monday we submited the production order to the pcbs factory.

On a normal situation we would have to wait atleast 3 weeks since last monday to get the pcbs, but as i said this has been handled as priority production cause the issue so we have been quoted 10 days. Once we have the pcbs, we will get slot at SMT factory and again, we have been promised to get slot on the same week the pcbs are ready, cause again this is a "special situation".

I hope you now understand that its totally impossible to get a delivery date on normal situation and its really hard to get one in "special situation" such as this one.

And yes, i may have been unprofessional on my last coments but i am totally tired about the situation and about some actitudes.

I am sure it would be better for us to not tell anything at forums, neither even post, but i think everyone deserves to have up to date information.

One thing i really feel is that when i say : its impossible to get a delivery date and some one comes complaining, i should not explain WHY such as i am doing now. People should trush on our word based on previous facts.

We have done EVERYTHING to please everyone, i got the pcbs last friday at 18:00, driven 200 kms back to the city where i live and started soldering those without natural sunlight until 00:00 hours to validate those, all this after the entire week working. I went to sleep and next day (saturday) i started trying the new pcbs with framemeisters, lcds, crts, doing videos and so.

So next monday we were able to launch the mass production order and ship a pcb to Yodd by UPS so he could give us feedback as soon as possible aswel.

If we would not cared about our customers, i would have soldered the pcbs monday instead of friday, and i would have submited the pcbs order by tuesday. Or we would not have decided to make a new pcb and let everyone with the first one.

What i am trying to say with this ? I think we are far beyond on being professional, and i also think people would trush our word and let us work without keep hammering on the same thing all over again.

We are doing everything that is on our hand to ship the orders as soon as possibe, and i am talking that we are doing our best to save you guys ONE or TWO days to be waiting, not one or two weeks.
Again, I'm having the impression people are just reading some posts while ignoring others.
Last edited by donluca on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gara

Post by Gara »

Syntax wrote: My efforts to show neo PR why this is wrong was met with passive aggressive responses so perfect I had to check he wasn't an ex girlfriend.

Untill I have the product in my hand I'm signing off. I dont need to take part in this show anymore.
Passive aggressive is a very accurate description. It seems to happen over and over. Someone asks a question then it goes to name calling, passive aggressive response/rant, then rot steps in with plain ol aggression. It's so bizarre
Gara

Post by Gara »

donluca wrote: Again, I'm having the impression people are just reading some posts while ignoring others.
That's your idea of one of the good posts? What other company rants about their daily schedule and how tired they are of the attitude of people wanting to know when they will receive their order? They certainly have problem customers but what's the point in going after them and encouraging an environment where new comers are ridiculed and called names.

Edit: Sorry, I meant to add this reply to my other post instead of making a new reply.
Kez wrote:You may not agree with or like everything they have said, but there really is nothing to suggest that they won't deliver a quality product in the end. Maybe some of the RGB issues could have been avoided, but ultimately they took a pretty big hit to make things right - not everyone would have done that. The NeoSD has been around for a while now and they have continued to support it well.
I think the product is very interesting. They are the only game in town for these products so I get why it's tolerated. I just wanted to field some opinions on the zoo that is their announcement forum. If I didn't already research them coming through in the past I would think people insane for ordering a product there after looking at the posts.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

@Donluca

The first response to that customer was from the head moderator there and read as follows.

"It's posts... and attitudes like this that make me fear for the gaming scene...

No sense of perspective... no real reading of the threads on hand... just ME ME ME...

Don't let the fuckin' door kick you in the face on the way out cunt..." ROT

Now I'm not saying I don't enjoy rots flavour but setting those guys loose on a new confused customer is BS
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Neosd is setting up their own forum to deal with this as far as I know so as long as it’s more gently moderated that should help for the future new customer. For the moment tho, it’s in to the lions den. Good luck!

Why bring this all up again though? Improved Product is coming and replacements are coming.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Why would someone bring this up when they have 3 posts total since their account was created and suddenly make more posts than they have in their account's entire history in a few minutes? Probably because the Neo forum is going to be moderated and they thought they should troll somewhere else. They're probably already banned from that forum or it has become such a shit show they can't get any more enjoyment out of it and thought they should spread their cancer over here.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Syntax wrote:@Donluca

The first response to that customer was from the head moderator there and read as follows.

"It's posts... and attitudes like this that make me fear for the gaming scene...

No sense of perspective... no real reading of the threads on hand... just ME ME ME...

Don't let the fuckin' door kick you in the face on the way out cunt..." ROT

Now I'm not saying I don't enjoy rots flavour but setting those guys loose on a new confused customer is BS
Rot is... well, Rot. I think you have come to know how his persona works, but he's not a spokesperson for Terraonion.
The NeoSD guys gave a very through reply with details no company on earth would give you about their production process.
Look around and most companies will reply with lines among "It's ready when it's ready", "soon™" and "we don't know".

I think apart from some stabs at their competitor (which I condemn, that's really unprofessional, no matter what) they have been incredibly transparent about what's going on and kept everyone updated. If they didn't, that was because there were no updates worth writing about.

Nothing personal, honestly, I like the NeoSD guys and I hope they'll soon come up with a CPS2/CPS1 multi so I can finally support them. But some attitude I've seen towards them is just unacceptable.
They DID screw up with SSD3 and took an unbelievably painful way to sort this out: call back all the PCBs shipped, trash the old ones and get new ones entirely. That must have hurt their small business *A LOT* and despite this, they still went this way because they care about their customers.

To me, everything else is a moot point.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

People gotta understand that they are not Amazon or Walmart with big employee rosters, years of proven processes and policies that only big corporate companies can uphold. Terraonion is a small business of a number of people you can count on one hand. Plus they support a VERY niche market that's going to sell them what, maybe less than 1000 units?

They are not a corporate machine that a lot of the anal members coming in to give them flack think they are. They are fellow hobbyists that are taking on a very finite market to support for a very obscure product. They should be cut some slack.
Gara

Post by Gara »

Wolf_ wrote:Why would someone bring this up when they have 3 posts total since their account was created and suddenly make more posts than they have in their account's entire history in a few minutes? Probably because the Neo forum is going to be moderated and they thought they should troll somewhere else. They're probably already banned from that forum or it has become such a shit show they can't get any more enjoyment out of it and thought they should spread their cancer over here.
I usually just lurk here and I am curious to know more about the people making the product. I don't even have an account over there as the community scares me. This is by far the most vocal thread I can find talking about the product so here I am. I'm finding it strange how hostile the response is. Is talking about their unprofessional behavior seen as me bullying them somehow? They are a company selling a product and treat their customers fairly poorly. I guess the consensus is if they deliver then who cares how hostile they make the community?j

I'm a small business owner with employees I can count on one hand and I certainly couldn't get away with any of this. The rules are different for retro gaming I suppose. The equivalent of having good food but rude staff. So get your food to go.
thirdkind

Post by thirdkind »

Gara wrote:I usually just lurk here and I am curious to know more about the people making the product. I don't even have an account over there as the community scares me. This is by far the most vocal thread I can find talking about the product so here I am. I'm finding it strange how hostile the response is. Is talking about their unprofessional behavior seen as me bullying them somehow? They are a company selling a product and treat their customers fairly poorly. I guess the consensus is if they deliver then who cares how hostile they make the community?j

I'm a small business owner with employees I can count on one hand and I certainly couldn't get away with any of this. The rules are different for retro gaming I suppose. The equivalent of having good food but rude staff. So get your food to go.
I think you're getting pushback here because the drama here had settled down. NeoSD acknowledged the flaw, made several improvements to the PCB beyond just the digital/analog grounding issue that have made the RGB output basically flawless, and are working hard to get the replacements out the door. Bringing up the drama that got us here doesn't help anyone.

If you want the drama without the substance, there's always neo-geo.com. Just don't annoy Rot while he's "relaxing".
Gara

Post by Gara »

thirdkind wrote:
Gara wrote:I usually just lurk here and I am curious to know more about the people making the product. I don't even have an account over there as the community scares me. This is by far the most vocal thread I can find talking about the product so here I am. I'm finding it strange how hostile the response is. Is talking about their unprofessional behavior seen as me bullying them somehow? They are a company selling a product and treat their customers fairly poorly. I guess the consensus is if they deliver then who cares how hostile they make the community?j

I think you're getting pushback here because the drama here had settled down. NeoSD acknowledged the flaw, made several improvements to the PCB beyond just the digital/analog grounding issue that have made the RGB output basically flawless, and are working hard to get the replacements out the door. Bringing up the drama that got us here doesn't help anyone.

If you want the drama without the substance, there's always neo-geo.com. Just don't annoy Rot while he's "relaxing".
I get it. I wanted some other perspectives and I suppose I got them. It's still happening over there but talking about it is just seen as drama. I kind of asked for it by poking at his quotes. It really bugs me that he is using language that suggests this wasn't a problem they created but instead an annoyance they have to deal with because a few people complained and wouldn't just buy the $10 amazon cable he kept linking. I also think the people here deserve more respect after trying to help them fix their screw up. I just lurk here but I've found the hardware posts here some of the most informative around from people who care.

I'm amazed retro cables UK gave them free cables after he dumped on premium cables but it will help a lot of people who will likely be using the same cables on their setup. Good on them.

Here is to hoping everyone gets a working product and never has a reason to contact support.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Gara wrote:It really bugs me that he is using language that suggests this wasn't a problem they created but instead an annoyance they have to deal with because a few people complained and wouldn't just buy the $10 amazon cable he kept linking.
There's no problem in the way they're referring to the problem, because it's a thing of the past, Yodd has the new board and has been posting videos showing that all the problems are solved and everyone is getting a free replacement.

So there's no point in keeping talking about it.

How would you feel if you once made a mistake you've acknowledged yourself, said sorry to the involved and fixed it and people would still be talking and trashing you about it?
broken

Post by broken »

In case you guys want some more stuff to look at, here is some more captured clips from the new pcb using a composite sync RGB cable.

Magical Chase
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACDf3mJXdfE

Bonk III
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rQPajhTgBs

Ys Book I and II Intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pjwBp9OxeA

These clips will stay up for a couple days until I release my review.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
Kez

Post by Kez »

Excellent, these look and sound fantastic.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I know this was a sore subject at one point or something? (which means I'm afraid to even ask about it...) but the revised SSD3, that takes regular Genesis 2 CSYNC cables, correct? No extra/different resistors needed anymore or anything like that, right?

I'm getting my cables in order while I wait for my SSD3 to arrive, and Retro-Access needs to know the answer of this before they build some custom straight-to-BNC cables for my Extron Crosspoint. Thanks.
broken

Post by broken »

Dochartaigh wrote:I know this was a sore subject at one point or something? (which means I'm afraid to even ask about it...) but the revised SSD3, that takes regular Genesis 2 CSYNC cables, correct? No extra/different resistors needed anymore or anything like that, right?

I'm getting my cables in order while I wait for my SSD3 to arrive, and Retro-Access needs to know the answer of this before they build some custom straight-to-BNC cables for my Extron Crosspoint. Thanks.

One last time.

It uses the EXACT same Scart cables as a Megadrive 2/Genesis 2.

Which means 220uf cap and 75 ohm resistor on each of the RGB lines and if you use composite sync (instead of comp. video as sync) you will need a 220uf cap and 470 ohm resistor on the Csync.

These are identical specs to a proper built MD2 cable.
Todd of Retro Frog

Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

broken wrote:One last time.
Thanks. I didn't know if anything changed with the redesign of the board (which they said besides fixing RGB output a couple other things were tweaked as well I think).
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

@broken.. Ys Book I and II Intro looks amazing :)
broken

Post by broken »

My review of the Super SD System 3 is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLs9Y-o6vNo
Todd of Retro Frog

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Nice, thanks! What output resolution from the OSSC have you been using ? And which capture card or box ?
broken

Post by broken »

Fudoh wrote:Nice, thanks! What output resolution from the OSSC have you been using ? And which capture card or box ?
4x from the OSSC

I use the Startech USB3HDCAP

recorded footage at 1280x960
Todd of Retro Frog

Akira
Site Admin

Post by Akira »

broken wrote:My review of the Super SD System 3 is out!

That's absolutely amazing, I need to get one!
.:[ BLAST OFF AND STRIKE THE EVIL BYDO EMPIRE! ]:.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

broken wrote:My review of the Super SD System 3 is out!

Wow. That thing looks 99.9% perfect and it sounds like more software updates are coming down the line. If only it had hdmi out and didn't need a tg-16 unit it would be beyond criticism.
system11

Post by system11 »

Removed the drama posts.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

"Your order with the reference _________ is currently in transit."

svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Just wondering when I will get mine replaced. Did anyone sent his already back for replacement?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

cr4zymanz0r wrote:"Your order with the reference _________ is currently in transit."