Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RabidWookie

Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing

Post by RabidWookie »

As a newbie, if I want an N64 mod that will give me the best quality RGB output, deblur features, and as many other options (linedoubling, component out, etc) as possible without adding any input lag, what would my best option be?
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

^^^
N64 HDMI - probably the best and also the most expensive.
Tim's RGB + Borti's firmware - is on par but requires a scaler (OSSC or RGB), SCART and the occasional firmware update
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

UltraHDMI introduces 1 Frame delay unless you are in the direct mode.
If HDMI is really wanted and the price for the UltraHDMI is way to high (which isn't at all - believe me! -, just availability is aweful), wait for an open source solution to build your own.

@RabidWookie:
If you are able to source and build everything by your own, take a look into my GitHub project for the N64 Advanced.
hyrulebr

Post by hyrulebr »

I have a brand new Tim's N64RGB board bought in 2016 (already v1.2 but before De-blur firmware) and need some help to figure out how to connect an Altera Blaster clone. I'm using this picture as guide:

http://www.digital-circuitry.com/IMAGES ... pinout.jpg

JTAG Pinout (Tim board)>>>>ALTERA BLASTER FEMALE

1. +3.3V power rail>>>>>>>>>>>> ???
2. Ground>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2
3. TDO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3
4. TCK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1
5. TDI>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 9
6. TMS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 5

Is that correct? Where I connect the pin 1 (+3.3V power rail) ?

Also I plan to leave something read for a future reflash (new firmware, etc). My ideia is soldering an adapter (wires to a male jtag connector). Any better idea?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Follow the pinouts from FBX's guide

http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html
hyrulebr

Post by hyrulebr »

Syntax wrote:Follow the pinouts from FBX's guide

http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html
Thank you!
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

leonk wrote:Hey Borti, your latest IGR deblur firmware for Tim's board has this crazy left/right movement in Paper Mario.

When I turn deblur off, it goes away.
Ok, I guess I found the reason.
Problem is that a) falsely activated a synthesis option which should have never been enabled. And on the other side b) even a small change in logic could make the overall synthesis and fitter results go crazy, which could have the side effect of what you have seen above.

This completely burns my mind and seems to appear more often for the 240LE-sized CPLD and not that often for the 570LE-sized CPLD.

Due to that I think about discontinuing the auto estimation support for the CPLD based mods. Not sure, though...
It would be helpful if I can find a small pool of people for testing with different setups (setups = different combinations of modding boards and N64 regions (PAL, NTSC))
kel

Post by kel »

I also noticed this issue with Tim's board and you IGR deblur firmware. Strangely disconnecting the two GNDs on the ribbon cable made it go away. I just assumed that it was part of the whole interference issue with the N64 and these type of mods and left it at that with just a GND wire coming from the LDO and the GND strap coming from the heatsink.

I don't have that console anymore but I'm about ready to install your N64 Advanced board into a NTSC console which you can add to the pool if if helps.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

That's very very strange. :/

I got the feeling during the past weeks (just see the large ammount of commits I made), that especially the 240LE-sized CPLD has a problem for what ever reason. This CPLD is almost full with having DeBlur estimation algorithm and IGR support; ~230LEs are used and all 24LABs. In example: yesterday I just edited a single line - changed a register into a constant - and the whole firmware cracked up: DeBlur was not working when estimated or forced on (rapidly changing between on and off) and gradients had discoloring.

Not such a big deal with the 570LE-sized CPLD.

The N64A is not a big deal. The FPGA does not have this problem at all (at least so far). But feedback here is also always good. Especially the dev_tests branch with the menu will get a lot of small updates during the next days. I cannot find all bugs and also feedback regarding usability is always appreciated!!! I hope to merge it into the master branch within next month or two :)
kel

Post by kel »

That's very very strange. :/
Yes, I had the two GNDs disconnected when I was messing with the interference issue and connected them back up after I'd finished to find that all of a sudden there was a new issue like what leonk described. Seemed strange but disconnecting the GNDs again fixed it in any case so I just left it at that.
I got the feeling during the past weeks (just see the large ammount of commits I made), that especially the 240LE-sized CPLD has a problem for what ever reason. This CPLD is almost full with having DeBlur estimation algorithm and IGR support; ~230LEs are used and all 24LABs. In example: yesterday I just edited a single line - changed a register into a constant - and the whole firmware cracked up: DeBlur was not working when estimated or forced on (rapidly changing between on and off) and gradients had discoloring.
Sounds complicated. I hope you manage to find a way to fit it all in without loosing any of the features, it would be a shame if Tim's board couldn't have this firmware as it is probably one of the most common N64 RGB mods installed up to now apart from maybe the the basic amp mod on the early revision consoles.
The N64A is not a big deal. The FPGA does not have this problem at all (at least so far). But feedback here is also always good. Especially the dev_tests branch with the menu will get a lot of small updates during the next days. I cannot find all bugs and also feedback regarding usability is always appreciated!!! I hope to merge it into the master branch within next month or two :)
Ooh, didn't notice the dev_tests branch. I'll stick to that then and report back if I notice any bugs.
leonk

Post by leonk »

Hey Borti..

I just noticed you uploaded a new version of the firmware on Feb 9?

Well.. at this point, not sure what you did since the start of the year, but it's completely unusable on Viletim's PCB's (1.2 version). The left/right pixel shift every second is very noticeable - on games it never had this problem before (Ocarine of time is my test cart).

I'm reverting back to using what I pulled from GITHUB on Dec 28. It seems to work well.

Here's a link to the broken one I'm talking about:

https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/blo ... im_igr.pof
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

I improved controller handling and the deblur estimation algorithm. Everything is fine if the synthesis and fitter runs good.

But as I said, the synthesis and fitter behaviour drives me crazy!!! Everything is fine on the FPGA, but on the CPLD the result can be vary by simply modify a single register value from a variant to a constant e.g.! It's absolutely aweful. And I cannot have a bunch of consoles at my side. So if now the firmware builds are fine, I will leave them as it is.

So please try out the current build and give me a short report if everything works fine.

BR
leonk

Post by leonk »

I tried the latest build. see above link.

Am I using the wrong firmware file for Tim's OEM PCB?

the side to side dance of the screen looks bad. :(
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

I've updated it yesterday right before I wrote my post.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Just flashed the 5M240ZT100C4 and it is still moving left and right on Auto or Manual.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Just a single shift on turning on and off? Or rapidly shifting / shaking while you have it on?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Rapidly shifting sorry :(
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Do not get it. I have the same PCB, same CPLD and on my setup it runs fine :(

Edit: I changed the register latching to positive edge. This is not in accordance to the initial DAC project but in the way as Unseen does it. Could be the case that I have to specify input delays though, which is not the case atm.
Everybody who wants to test it, please do it and give feedback: Download-Link
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Just tested for you, its still doing the same thing.

Seemed more stable on the Mario select screen but as soon as I went into gameplay Manual and Auto would turn themselves on and off at random intervals.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Not sure if you changed the files in the link or I was super tired and grabbed an old POF file but I just flashed the most recent one and it seems solid :D

Ill keep it on overnight and have a play when I get up.

Thanks for all the trouble shooting (and everything else) so far

*** EDIT
I am super tired, the POF you sent me via PM was the one that didn't work, this new one you've linked seems to be the goods.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Ok, good to read :) I was recently tested two different firmware builds:
- one where I simply added another fitter assignment
- one where I where all registers are latched on the rising edge instead of the negative

Both were good on my setup.
I'll put them up to GitHub tomorrow then or later this evening.

If some more report that now the firmware is good, I'm willing to remove the half pixel shift (between DeBlur on and off) once again and test if it's now stable again.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

borti4938 wrote:Edit: I changed the register latching to positive edge. This is not in accordance to the initial DAC project but in the way as Unseen does it.
Please note that I'm cheating in the top-level module: "VClockI <= not VClock;"
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Cheater :roll:
Haven't noticed that :? Thanks for mentioning.
kel

Post by kel »

I finally got the N64 Advance board installed, just having a couple of issues at the moment though. First I can't get the IGR to work what so ever, none of the button combinations do anything and the second is that de-blur is a bit temperamental in some circumstances like for example if I go to the menu in Ocarina of Time after a couple of seconds it turns de-blur off and then when I come out of the menu after a couple of seconds it come back on.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

You have to enable IGR and quick-access for deblur on/off and 15bit mode on/off in the menu (misc). By default it's disabled.
kel

Post by kel »

This may be a daft question but how do I get into the menu? I can't seem to find it documented anywhere.

I also have the same problem with the firmware from the master branch and that doesn't have the menu yet if I am not mistaken?
Kez

Post by Kez »

It is worth double-checking that your controller input wire is properly hooked up if you haven't already - check continuity between the middle pin of controller port 1 and the Ctrl pad on the N64A board.

Also from reading the source code:

Code: Select all

#define BTN_OPEN_OSDMENU  (CTRL_L_SETMASK|CTRL_R_SETMASK|CTRL_DR_SETMASK|CTRL_CR_SETMASK)
#define BTN_CLOSE_OSDMENU (CTRL_L_SETMASK|CTRL_R_SETMASK|CTRL_DL_SETMASK|CTRL_CL_SETMASK)
Looks like L+R+dpad-right+c-right opens the menu, while L+R+d-left+c-left closes it.
kel

Post by kel »

Checked the wiring right up to the FPGA pins so not sure why it's not working at the moment. Maybe it's something daft that I'm missing as I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.

Ah right, same as the UltraHDMI. Don't know why I didn't try that. Thanks for pointing that out but even that doesn't seem to work either for some reason.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Please check up also the connection on the modding board. I've soldered it by hand and don't want to exclude that I made a mistake.

Well, documentation on the dev_tests branch is not very good. Nothing about the menu, just what was merged from the master branch. Documentation will be written as the last step before merging the menu into the master branch.

C-ri + L + R + D-ri will open the menu
C-le + L + R + D-le will close it no matter where you are at this point. If you are on the main page, the menu will be closed on simple B press, too.
kel

Post by kel »

I've checked all three connections for continuity against the PCB layout diagram and also for any possible shorts right up to the FPGA pins and can't find anything wrong. I really don't have a clue at the moment why the board won't recognize any controller input.

EDIT: Just for clarification sake I'm reading 47ohms from the middle pin of controller port 1 all the way to FPGA pin 127 so I can't see how else this could be connection related.
Last edited by kel on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.