Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Ed Oscuro

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I didn't want to start a topic (annoyances!) but I forgot if there was a official forum rule on the matter. When somebody asks for payment via PayPal, should we assume that includes the PP fee, sent as a normal purchase? As opposed to the old dodge of marking it as "gift" (which is against the PP user agreement and invalidates conflict resolution should it be required).
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

That region locking the internet is still a thing. :roll:

I'm a paying subscriber, Crunchyroll, let me watch BGC 2040 geeez.
CHECKPOINT!
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Sumez wrote:As a non-native English speaker all of those bother me :P
Same here, especially with "Debt". I always pronunced the "B" until I realized it's supposed to sound like "Det", and that it was because some nitwit wanted English to be more like Latin that a B was snuck into it... but "detors' prison" sounds too stupid... and our flag is so couleourfoeul so fook this shaeiaite mayte. :?
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Probably mentioned already, but games with physical releases from big companies but not for everyone! I know a lot of us here prefer physical over digital and I'm a bit annoyed that the new Monster Boy game is getting a physical release, that isn't limited either, from SEGA. Though the Xbox One release will be digital only. What gives? You can't make a physical version for the xbox one, just Switch and PS4? Is this the first time something like this has happened? Probably not.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I didn't want to start a topic (annoyances!) but I forgot if there was a official forum rule on the matter. When somebody asks for payment via PayPal, should we assume that includes the PP fee, sent as a normal purchase? As opposed to the old dodge of marking it as "gift" (which is against the PP user agreement and invalidates conflict resolution should it be required).
IMO, if sellers expect the buyer to cover PP fees then they need to provide specific instructions on this.

Many commericial websites accept PayPal, and I've never seen one that charged extra for it (and why would they? accepting credit cards has its own overhead cost). Off the top of my head I don't even know how much the fees are.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

They are quite steep. I think the buyer protection is a good point, and it would be better for the buyer simply to pay a little more (and still choose "goods") if the seller requires the buyer to cover the fees. Like you guys though, I don't think you can really force that on anyone if it isn't stated up front.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

People who think NES and Famicom are two separate platforms, and that Famicom games aren't NES games and vice versa.

...yeah, I've been going to Reddit again -_-
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Professional game reviewers that refer to ANY turn based strategy game, regardless of scope or mechanics, as being "like X-Com."

It's almost like them referring to any game with projectiles as being "bullet-hell."
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:...yeah, I've been going to Reddit again -_-
Why you do it to youself 3;
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Because I'm starved for actual video game discussion on the internet. It's all been horribly segregated and watered down since the internet became a place people utilize for social media platforms, and short twitter-sized opinions as opposed to genuine discussions.

Not that I'm an old man who hates phones and social media or anything, it's just a trend I've noticed. (I like social media, but I do hate smartphones)
This is pretty much the only forum left with regular discussion where people post stuff every day, and even it has died down a lot over the last 5 or so years.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

It's kind of surprising that ye olde community forums have become the more actually social discussion platform, while modern social media the way they work allow people to isolate themselves inside a bubble of self-interest and like-minded followers, and keep everything contradictory outside.

(I remember the criticisms of clannish, hive-mind mentality towards communities, comically coming from people not realizing they just couldn't take the slightest diversity of interests and opinions, as well as backgrounds, and later went to isolate themselves into so-called 'social' media)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Mischief Maker wrote:Professional game reviewers that refer to ANY turn based strategy game, regardless of scope or mechanics, as being "like X-Com."

It's almost like them referring to any game with projectiles as being "bullet-hell."
STG: Touhou-like bullet-hell games, and all of them are only for the hardcore fanbase.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Vitalik Buterin appearing in my news feed.

Anybody who does a few minutes research on Ethereum's design and implementation failures has to wonder what angle this guy is playing at.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Good to see you around again Ed. Image

In unrelated yet on-topic news, I think the search for a passport countersignature is filling me with a murderous impotent rage. :| Having bonafide nightmares about this Catch-22 fuckery. I can't even get it up to post about my Japanese videogames. I should invest in that Joe Rogan MIRACLE T/GORILLA BALLZ shit, or better yet, read some Kotaku and get MAD ENOUGH 2 LIFT Image Nope it's not working.
Sumez wrote:Because I'm starved for actual video game discussion on the internet. It's all been horribly segregated and watered down since the internet became a place people utilize for social media platforms, and short twitter-sized opinions as opposed to genuine discussions.

Not that I'm an old man who hates phones and social media or anything, it's just a trend I've noticed. (I like social media, but I do hate smartphones)
This is pretty much the only forum left with regular discussion where people post stuff every day, and even it has died down a lot over the last 5 or so years.
Xyga wrote:It's kind of surprising that ye olde community forums have become the more actually social discussion platform, while modern social media the way they work allow people to isolate themselves inside a bubble of self-interest and like-minded followers, and keep everything contradictory outside.

(I remember the criticisms of clannish, hive-mind mentality towards communities, comically coming from people not realizing they just couldn't take the slightest diversity of interests and opinions, as well as backgrounds, and later went to isolate themselves into so-called 'social' media)
Yeah it's all a bit fucked. 3; I remember 2003 being significantly less so but I'm late to all the happening gigs.

I stick to places where I know I'll have a minimum of three (3) soldiers on standby to jump a muhfucka ass like bail if the lurking scrub menace pops its ugly mug over the parapet. Less than that and the joint is probably a lost nuke from orbit cause imo. Image Image Image Sup youtube. Wait, you were discussing regional fuckeries weren't you. Those are much more forgivable but like mildew they aren't a great look!

I don't get out around ye olde internet towne much. Part of the problem I guess. I like it though, at least when my wiener isn't all soft and floppy like cheese from despair. >_>
null1024

Post by null1024 »

just had a bunch of shit disappear into the abyss from the downloads folder on my phone for no reason
Was saving some pictures, went to go look at some of the other shit I'd saved, and there was a gaping hole of gray exclamation marks, like the files couldn't be read.

didn't seem like anything much, probably just the gallery program being flaky as usual, so I rebooted
Opened the downloads folder back up, all that shit was just fucking gone, barring like thirty odd files.
Absolutely no idea what could have happened, unless there's some bullshit "space saving" feature kicking in, since my internal storage is pretty close to full [like, ~2GB free, I've got like 40GB free on my SD card though].
Shit I downloaded just yesterday is missing.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

See if you can find an option to automatically save to your SD Card instead of your internal storage.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Water freezing in pipes, roads blocked by snow...

I love snow, but since it's rarely abundant at the latitude and altitude I live, the experience always comes with slightly annoying issues like that.

First time I've been happy to have a well in the basement in winter though, the water there doesn't freeze.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Bosses that go ape at you in the middle of the office for an assignment they want done, don't allow you to get a word in edgewise to tell them it was already finished, and make no attempt at apology once their error can no longer be ignored.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

"Hey, the last Pokemon game I played was <insert any game not in the 3DS>, what do I need to know to play <insert the most recent game>?"

Do your own fucking research.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Google results appearing and when you try to click the link real quick, it jumps down just a few pixels when some dumb graphic or plugin loads so you have do adjust the mouse pointer and click again.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

also annoying when you end up accidentally clicking the ad
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Thank you, that gif really made my day.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Xyga wrote:Water freezing in pipes, roads blocked by snow...

I love snow, but since it's rarely abundant at the latitude and altitude I live, the experience always comes with slightly annoying issues like that.

First time I've been happy to have a well in the basement in winter though, the water there doesn't freeze.
Love snow as well. Thank god we're well-equiped to deal with snow here. We have a ton of it every year, which is why we had to invest in good equipment and expertise and infrasctructures to deal with it smoothly. We wouldn't make it to the spring if we didn't :mrgreen: It's a yearly matter of survival here. lol.

I don't mind all the snow we get here, or the -20 C, -30 and -40 temps, but what I hate is when there's some "wet" snow(happens once in a while), and everything freezes during the night and stays frozen the next day(s), having everything covered by a thick layer of ice
Last edited by FinalBaton on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Of course!

Here winters were colder when I was a kid (worst I've known was -18°C, quite rare) and each town had its own snowplow etc, but as the climate got warmer a lot of the equipment and jobs were sold/relocated.
Only mountain zones could keep their stuff.

Now everytime the snow's back on a broader area, plains, cities etc, it's a fucking circus. Plowers are available for the main roads but still too few.
And none for the smaller roads if you don't live at least at 800m or something (I'm right at the foot of a 1000+ mountain but being in a valley at 250m I can just fist myself until it melts)

I'm sure the cost on the economy for just a few fucked days with transportation and businesses closed is higher than keeping plowers and jobs, but hey stingy politicians alway think they're smart.

Okay sure the 20cm we had in one day melted in less than two, but still, a lot of people couldn't go to work, shop, doctor etc.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Virtually no one in the Internet is selling a decent arcade stick used at more than $10 below retail.

I remember last year when a game store in my area was having a 50% sale on used sticks... maybe I'm just cheap for not having been able to spend $70 on a Hori RAP when even tween shits and broke millennials buy iPhones. In my defense, I already have a pad.

Meanwhile, the cheapest analog flight stick out there is something like $16. I mean, I guess I should get around to playing TIE Fighter...
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

video stream downloaders, whether online, browser addons or whatever; why they're all shit failing at grabbing the highest quality stream or need to convert which takes hours and fails even after several tries.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Virtually no one in the Internet is selling a decent arcade stick used at more than $10 below retail.

I remember last year when a game store in my area was having a 50% sale on used sticks... maybe I'm just cheap for not having been able to spend $70 on a Hori RAP when even tween shits and broke millennials buy iPhones. In my defense, I already have a pad.

Meanwhile, the cheapest analog flight stick out there is something like $16. I mean, I guess I should get around to playing TIE Fighter...
Yeah, after MadCatz died and the FGC revival faded away, the wellspring of cheap sticks dried up, too. Should've got one while they were everywhere and dirt cheap.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Xyga wrote:video stream downloaders, whether online, browser addons or whatever; why they're all shit failing at grabbing the highest quality stream or need to convert which takes hours and fails even after several tries.
JDownloader too?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

^
It's the best I've ever tried but for some reason every time the stream speed falls to miserable ko/s near the end, and it can take ages when it's a big one.
Also no choice for mkv it seems?...(though I have one that offers an option for mkv but takes the day to wrap a 1GB file)

Of course with all of them if you just want a shitty downscaled/downsampled copy there's no problem, you'll have it in minutes. :/
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

WelshMegalodon wrote:I mean, I guess I should get around to playing TIE Fighter...
Oh poor baby! Forced to play an absolute masterpiece of not only space sim design, but videogame narrative twist.

If the version you have gives you the option, go for the midi soundtrack over the John Williams symphonic version. One of the best things about Tie Fighter is how it takes the Imperial March and with just a couple tweaks makes it sound heroic. Man, just thinking about all the great moments in the game, from joining the secret order, to flying alongside Darth Vader, man I want to dig out Tie Fighter and start playing!

The only game that surpasses it is Freespace 2. You have played Freespace 2, right?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"