GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TobiasRieper

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by TobiasRieper »

The latest changes to the pal presets don't work well with my system. The previous files works mormally after a couple of presses of '2' the screen auto positions and its nigh on perfect. The latest preset file makes the screen shift horizontally right too much. Pressing the command again doesn't fix the problem.

Rama, what do i need to change in GBS control to have the pal 240p load up on default? Thanks. Its going to take about a month for my esp board to turn up.
rama

Post by rama »

PS2 can use the PSX test suite. Other consoles, you'll have to rely on whatever you can find.
Iirc, PS2 in PSX mode produces almost the same timings as a real PSX.

TobiasRieper:
How much is it shifted? I know that the PAL FB presets are too narrow. The job of stretching them out is on the display.
Once you have a picture, try showing a bright scene in full screen, then hit the auto adjust on the display.
TobiasRieper

Post by TobiasRieper »

rama wrote:
TobiasRieper:
How much is it shifted? I know that the PAL FB presets are too narrow. The job of stretching them out is on the display.
Once you have a picture, try showing a bright scene in full screen, then hit the auto adjust on the display.
It's shifted about a third of the screen. Okay I'll try that tonight and report back. Thanks Rama.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

rama wrote:PS2 can use the PSX test suite.
There's a release for the PSX? All I could find was the source code for it on github....
TobiasRieper

Post by TobiasRieper »

I've tried what you advised to no avail. I'm back using the previous pal 240p.h and the pal feedback clock and it works fine.

Latest update

Previous update

Not sure why the older version of the presets work better.
rama

Post by rama »

Me neither ;)
You'll be able to correct it via web UI though.

AndehX: https://github.com/filipalac/240pTestSu ... ter/binary
TobiasRieper

Post by TobiasRieper »

rama wrote:Me neither ;)
You'll be able to correct it via web UI though.

AndehX: https://github.com/filipalac/240pTestSu ... ter/binary
Can't wait to get that esp32 board. Going to be waiting a month though ho hum :D I look forward to new developments and thank you for your assistance :)
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

Much appreciated! Looked everywhere and couldn't find it.
rama

Post by rama »

Saving a preset is now implemented. This means that you can have a single custom preset now that you can tweak to your liking and load on command.
This could be much nicer, of course. There could be several presets, loaded automatically by preference and some kind of feedback on the web UI.
But hey, it's there now ;)
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

rama wrote:Saving a preset is now implemented. This means that you can have a single custom preset now that you can tweak to your liking and load on command.
This could be much nicer, of course. There could be several presets, loaded automatically by preference and some kind of feedback on the web UI.
But hey, it's there now ;)
One step at a time! Just take your time and everything will come together :P
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

When I try to save custom preset, serial monitor says "open preset file failed"
rama

Post by rama »

Ah yeah, because it doesn't exist yet. You'll have to install the SPIFFS upload tool and use it to upload the preset file.
https://esp8266.github.io/Arduino/versi ... ystem.html
(Just hit the new menu option to upload the file. It's in the data folder.)
rama

Post by rama »

The upload tool isn't necessary any more. Custom presets now apply to the video mode, so there's a "slot" for PAL and one for NTSC.
If you hit one of the "prefer X" buttons, this choice now gets saved into a userprefs.txt file. This file gets respected on startup as well.

This required tons of changes, so there could be bugs :p
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

Yep, custom profile works like a charm! Here's what my PS1 looks like after some tweaking. It's the best I can get with my limited knowledge :P

Interesting thing to note about the 240p test suite: The PS1 version doesn't seem to work on the PS2. I tried it on both my Slim and Phat, and both showed some weird sync issue on both my BVM and the GBS. Running it on a PS1 works fine though.
rama

Post by rama »

The PS2 emulation layer has its quirks. It can only run the video mode it was started in (PAL or NTSC), and the mode depends on the region of the machine.
You can use a homebrew app to switch modes though. It recently got an upgrade that effectively changes the ps1 driver video mode to 100% the other region, so even NTSC / PAL chroma encoding for Composite works!
http://ichiba.geocities.jp/ysai187/PS2/PS1VModeNeg.htm
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Does anyone have a working R Pi0 wifi image they can share with me, I'm having a bad time trying to get the script running..

If you run a PS1 game on PS2 via uLauncher in .vcd format you can use any video mode.

Still doesn't feel right compared to playing on a ps1 though imo.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

Syntax wrote:Does anyone have a working R Pi0 wifi image they can share with me, I'm having a bad time trying to get the script running..
You don't use a R Pi Zero for this firmware. You need either an arduino or an ESP8266
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

The whole project started with on a pi.

Between MarkOZLAD and I (mostly Mark) we've figured out you need to use pins 27 SDA and 28 SCL and add this line to the boot config file

dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2c_vc=on

I don't have any auduinos laying around and I wanted to try out what the original mod was like.

I'm aware its progressing down a different more suitable path. Keen to see the web interface in action and total cost of parts.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

I remember the whole boot config stuff back when I used the R Pi. Honestly though, you probably won't get alot of support for the old R Pi version
rama

Post by rama »

Raspberry Pi's still can do this, of course. They're just a tad overspecc'd and not so straight forward to use.

Once you have it running (controlling the GBS), try making it use the current versions presets.

Cost of parts for the current version:
- cables, adapters
- GBS-8200
- ESP8266 board
- Sync Stripper
- labor

All in all, I'd say about $35 without labor.
shingouki2

Post by shingouki2 »

So the colour issue I ran into was the VGA cable (No clue how that got damaged) but the chip is still damaged. My new GBS came in and I started testing it. I can see why people complain about it, there's a difference between the ones that paradise (and maybe another vendor) give out vs the ebay/alibaba stuff. It's missing the clamp settings, so the blacks are terribly crushed and I have to max out the brightness. Not sure if it's just my board missing it or something else. I'm short on jumper cables so I can't test the software yet. Could the reason my first GBS board not being able to read the software on the Arduino be due to the custom firmware GBS put on the "arcade version" of the boards? Apparently they had a modified board with the clamp settings open for one of the arcade vendors?
TobiasRieper

Post by TobiasRieper »

I had exactly the same thing with mine until I turned the 3 little orange pots on the board. If that doesn't fix it I'm not sure. If you like I can give you a link to where I purchased mine. Works flawlessly.
rama

Post by rama »

Clamping is a software thing on all these boards.
There are minute differences across all hardware revisions, but none affect the incoming video significantly.
shingouki2

Post by shingouki2 »

TobiasRieper wrote:I had exactly the same thing with mine until I turned the 3 little orange pots on the board. If that doesn't fix it I'm not sure. If you like I can give you a link to where I purchased mine. Works flawlessly.
I'm actually using the component in, so the pots aren't connected to them. I'm gonna see how my arcade boards look on it soon.
rama wrote:Clamping is a software thing on all these boards.
There are minute differences across all hardware revisions, but none affect the incoming video significantly.
I can't access the clamp settings is what I was getting at.
TobiasRieper

Post by TobiasRieper »

Yes must be a software thing buddy. Here's where I got mine. Works excellent straight out of the box.
I contacted the seller and they are flashed with the proper firmware.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1462755254
rama

Post by rama »

Ah, okay.
My software doesn't care what ran originally on the board.
The jumper link completely turns off all control functions.

Today I ran the HDMI version again. Turns out that this revision does affect the video, but indirectly:
Its memory appears to be different and it requires different timings as a result.
I'm going to have to account for this, probably with a user setting.
rama

Post by rama »

By the way, the black and white crush is actually an advertised feature of the chip!
They call it black / white extend, and it's probably meant to liven up television broadcasts.
Anyway, like most of these cringe features, it is enabled in the default firmware (and disabled in mine).

There's actually a whole chapter and dozens of registers dedicated to shifting colors around the whole azimuth.
This could be useful for some scenarios, like counteracting scanline darkening and such.
I'm no media guy though, and have no idea how to properly set this up :p
culexus

Post by culexus »

Is there a good guide on how to setup the arduino IDE, I do belive Im missing some libraries. :(

Im using the wemos D1 board, same as you rama.

I did look up all the ESP8266 files on github and added them into the libraries, It compiles and uploades okay.
But when I try to connect to the ESP board from my phone I do not get "gbs" host. I get "ESP_4C5B13" the ip is correct 192.168.4.1

Im just to noob to get this working:/

Never used a ESP before so Im missing something important steps I think..
rama

Post by rama »

You get the GBS network, so it's working fine so far. Connect to that network with the password "qqqqqqqq".
Next, disable mobile data and open any web page in your browser. You'll be redirected to the captive portal.
Here you can enter your WiFi credentials and reboot the ESP. It will now join your network and you can reach it at http://gbscontrol.

Fyi:
You need 1 additional library and the ESP8266 Arduino core at this time.
The core can be installed via the board manager and the library via library manager (WiFiManager by tzapu).
shingouki2

Post by shingouki2 »

Does the programming jumper need to be set before the GBS is turned on? Or can you set the programming mode while its on?