Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mickcris

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by mickcris »

evil_ash_xero wrote:All the pics and vids of this show a device that hooks onto the back of a standard PC Engine.

How would you go about hooking this up to a PC Engine Duo or Duo R? In terms of where it is at, on the machine.
You cant hook it to a Duo
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

mickcris wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:All the pics and vids of this show a device that hooks onto the back of a standard PC Engine.

How would you go about hooking this up to a PC Engine Duo or Duo R? In terms of where it is at, on the machine.
Say what? Well.....that's something they need to work on.

I don't know if that GDEMU guy is ever going to finish his product.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
mickcris wrote:

Say what? Well.....that's something they need to work on.

I don't know if that GDEMU guy is ever going to finish his product.
The Duo doesn't have the expansion port out the back. The GDEMU guy just posted something a few days that he was having trouble with the PCE. And had started working on a marty fm. I'm not sure his solution would work in a duo either, as I think his product was geared towards the standard cd-rom drive?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

citrus3000psi wrote:
The Duo doesn't have the expansion port out the back. The GDEMU guy just posted something a few days that he was having trouble with the PCE. And had started working on a marty fm. I'm not sure his solution would work in a duo either, as I think his product was geared towards the standard cd-rom drive?
Unusual, as most people I know have a Duo, if they own any kind of PC Engine.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

citrus3000psi wrote:The GDEMU guy just posted something a few days that he was having trouble with the PCE. And had started working on a marty fm. I'm not sure his solution would work in a duo either, as I think his product was geared towards the standard cd-rom drive?
Correct, the IFU setup is GDEMU-guy's target.
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
strygo

Post by strygo »

I own a Duo, but definitely not out of choice. The SSDS3 gives you full access to the entire library and eliminates the need to mess with CD-Rs and to worry about inevitable disc drive failure. Given that you can pick up a PC Engine or CoreGrafx for $50-60, IMO they made the right choice.
Eatitup_86

Post by Eatitup_86 »

Is there a suggested place to post compatibility issues?

I have played a few RPGs on the system and hours into the game it froze + erased the save. :\

Here is an example during Exile gameplay:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/222442373?t=2h00m35s

It seems like the save function causes some issues that then froze the game afterwards.

I tried starting it up after it froze and the save was gone.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

You didn't get the "disc read error" thing I got when I lost my Rondo of Blood save game it seems.

Clearly regular backing up of saves is a good idea at the moment.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Would be cool if each game had save history, like your last 10 saves so if one goes missing a there's a backup you just need to rename or something.
broken

Post by broken »

I believe the save game corruption bug has been fixed. The firmware with that fix will be included with the new pcb replacements.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

strygo wrote:I own a Duo, but definitely not out of choice. The SSDS3 gives you full access to the entire library and eliminates the need to mess with CD-Rs and to worry about inevitable disc drive failure. Given that you can pick up a PC Engine or CoreGrafx for $50-60, IMO they made the right choice.
This +1, I myself had a Duo r which I sold. I'll be picking up a basic PC E for the very reason stated.

No brainer for me, all the games with no hassle of flaky drives :)
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

garrz32 wrote:
strygo wrote:I own a Duo, but definitely not out of choice. The SSDS3 gives you full access to the entire library and eliminates the need to mess with CD-Rs and to worry about inevitable disc drive failure. Given that you can pick up a PC Engine or CoreGrafx for $50-60, IMO they made the right choice.
This +1, I myself had a Duo r which I sold. I'll be picking up a basic PC E for the very reason stated.

No brainer for me, all the games with no hassle of flaky drives :)
Same for me except I have actually missed many (like 10) opportunities to acquire a proper Duo, it's like a curse.

So if I order now I get in the queue and will get the revised pcb, right?

Is there any possible approximation of when it might get shipped? (within the current year hopefully? I'm patient but when it takes more than a year I start to worry)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Kez

Post by Kez »

Xyga wrote:Is there any possible approximation of when it might get shipped?
They have not been very forthcoming in that regard, so it is very difficult to answer. Presumably they are hesitant to make any promises they might be unable to keep, which is understandable.

Currently there is no public information as to how many have actually sold at all, so even knowing the rate at which they are moving units will not really help. I recall reading that they were originally aiming to have stock on-hand (i.e. orders being filled immediately) by the end of the year, and it seems like recent events have pushed them back a couple months. I think it would be reasonable to expect a unit by the end of the year at the latest (but again nothing has been promised).
Xyga wrote:So if I order now I get in the queue and will get the revised pcb, right?
Yeah, nobody who has not received a unit from now on can expect to receive the old pcb. Unless it was shipped some weeks ago and it is still making its way.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Xyga wrote:Is there any possible approximation of when it might get shipped? (within the current year hopefully? I'm patient but when it takes more than a year I start to worry)
neosd wrote:BTW, we should have the new SSD3 board for at the end of this week ... we will do the same as before : solder two units it by hand to validate the pcb and start producing factory units.
They wrote this yesterday, so I guess that the shipping date shouldn't be too far.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

donluca wrote:
Xyga wrote:Is there any possible approximation of when it might get shipped? (within the current year hopefully? I'm patient but when it takes more than a year I start to worry)
neosd wrote:BTW, we should have the new SSD3 board for at the end of this week ... we will do the same as before : solder two units it by hand to validate the pcb and start producing factory units.
They wrote this yesterday, so I guess that the shipping date shouldn't be too far.
But that's for people on the near end of the queue. There's not a lot of data for someone queuing up just now.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

They can only push out around 20 units per week off memory.
The new pcb should not require manual modification so hopefully they can move them faster.

Just joined the bandwagon. Opted for cheap postage.
broken

Post by broken »

Todd of Retro Frog

BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
broken

Post by broken »

Oops. Was posting that link from my phone.
Todd of Retro Frog

broken

Post by broken »

Cross post from NG.com

I received the revised PCB for the SSDS3 from TerraOnion and put together this little quick video showing off the difference between the original and the revised board. My PCB is hand soldered rather than factory soldered, so that's how they were able to get it to me so quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWq929k_yX4

My full in depth video will be posted next week.

Todd of Retro Frog

LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Looking forward to the new pcb swap. I went to play some pce today and my ossc won’t see it now when it would before. I checked the sync levels and they are exactly as I left them before. On my bvm I still get the same rolling image that I always got
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Has anyone tried the HD retrovision model 2 Genesis cables with the newest board revision?

I'm curious if they will give component video out of it or have any compatibility issues.
Kez

Post by Kez »

There are very few of the new board revision out in the wild yet (I think broken is the only one). Someone on ng forums reported the HD retrovision cable working with the old version. The new one should be more compatible if anything, but no reports just yet.
broken

Post by broken »

Also for you guys concerned, the composite sync has been fixed and looks beautiful.
Todd of Retro Frog

thirdkind

Post by thirdkind »

broken wrote:Also for you guys concerned, the composite sync has been fixed and looks beautiful.
I was fortunate enough to get a sneak peak at Todd's captures and he's not lying. The quality is outstanding. Can't wait to get my hands on the new board.
LDigital

Super SD System 3

Post by LDigital »

Any ideas on why my ossc no longer see it with no changes to my settings? Can’t play now
broken

Post by broken »

LDigital wrote:Any ideas on why my ossc no longer see it with no changes to my settings? Can’t play now
I have seen this happen with my OSSC and the old board on occasion as well.

Sometimes power cycling the OSSC when the PCE is on will correct it or power cycling both PCE and OSSC will fix it.

Or try adjusting Sync level as well. It seems random. Most likely due to the digital ground causing sync errors.

This issue does NOT happen with the new board. Another good reason to upgrade to the new board when it's available.
Todd of Retro Frog

Gara

Post by Gara »

The "official" thread for this product over at Neo-geo is scary. That Neosd person treats the RGB issue like it was a minor annoyance that a few customers complained about. It seems to be a circlejerk of people who ask questions then forum regulars calling them idiots and it just repeats page after page. NeoSD seems to fit right in with that Rot person which is frightening.

How the heck do you trust a product that has a spokesperson like that?
Unfortunally some of the first customers were not happy with the RGB output so this totally screwed the schelude.
Wow... This is one of the tame quotes. He really likes going off on his customers with various rants.
I think we are far beyond on being professional, and i also think people would trush our word
Yep...
donluca

Post by donluca »

You haven't clearly read the entire thread and just picked and extracted single quotes out of their context to your liking.

Please go back from wherever you came.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Did the company respond calmly and rationally to the internet hate machine trolling the crap out of them because they released a buggy product to ocd elitist Turbografx community (almost as cancerous as the Neo Geo community) that can't even agree what they themselves want half the time? No.

But the actions they took after calming down were to offer anyone unhappy with the product a return in exchange for a fixed board with all the problems solved.

If you want to hold their unprofessional actions against them for getting baited online that is fine but the company is making things right for its customers so there is no reason not to trust them. You're clearly just someone that feeds off drama and is trying to provoke some kind of reaction weeks after all the controversy has been resolved.

You've failed. Move along.