Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
wgogh

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by wgogh »

Finally back on shmups with Arrange mode Ibara. A nice CAVE game with a Raizing touch (the arcade mode seems to be the other way around), with a design that reminds of Shoujo Kakumei Utena.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Giga Wing Generations again. Watched my Youtube 1CC video to start getting back into it. Might make another one if I can beat that score.

Too bad this one doesn't have pilots. I miss the voiceovers from the Japanese Giga Wing 2. "Reflectooor...LAAAASER!" "Spaaaaaak... Baaam-baah!":D WTF did Capcom ditch this for the USA release? The voices were already in English except during the cutscenes, but there were subtitles anyway.

What a bummer that Takumi folded after this one.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

GWG doesn't have pilots (I miss Ruby), or story, or anything. Also, the music is not as great as the first or second game.
Still very addictive when you get into it.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Tried a few credits of Raiden 1 to see if my stance on it has changed any.

Nope, it's still as breathtakingly awful as I remembered it. It's kind of a miracle that turd, of all games, spawned a million sequels and became one of the most beloved shmup series ever (and rightfully so, just not for that first entry, which is so bad it's almost physically painful).
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Obscura wrote:Tried a few credits of Raiden 1 to see if my stance on it has changed any.

Nope, it's still as breathtakingly awful as I remembered it. It's kind of a miracle that turd, of all games, spawned a million sequels and became one of the most beloved shmup series ever (and rightfully so, just not for that first entry, which is so bad it's almost physically painful).
I dunno, I just played a credit of it and Fire Shark which was released the same year (1990), and I don't find either of them less fun than the other.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Decided to play some Wisp Lisp Array of List earlier today and actually almost ended up being late to a thing because of how addictive it is. Also did anyone ever figure out how scoring works in this? It seems very inconsistent.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Udderdude wrote:
Obscura wrote:Tried a few credits of Raiden 1 to see if my stance on it has changed any.

I dunno, I just played a credit of it and Fire Shark which was released the same year (1990), and I don't find either of them less fun than the other.
Fire Shark is just too damn hard to be fun, but it's design is so obviously superior to Raiden's that it's impossible to ignore. The checkpoints are actually possible to recover from (unlike Raiden, where because of power-ups and weapon-switch being on the same item and there being no power-up on switch, there's no way to recover after death), and the bomb is significantly less worthless (which also plays a big factor in recovery). The bosses are less retarded (Raiden bosses basically all boil down to "know a speedkill or game over as it shits undodgeable pattern after undodgeable pattern"). And Fire Shark is probably the weakest of the Toaplan military-themed games. Compare it to Hishouzame, Kyukyoku Tiger, or even Daisenpuu, and it looks even worse.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

^How do you feel about the genesis version of fire shark? I think I read that the devs considered it an improved version. Also is way easier
1) Create Scoring System
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I noticed it defaults to Easy. (Same! Same! Same! on the MD also defaults to Easy). Yeah, the arcade version is balls hard right out of the gate. I'm ok with that.

Also, somewhat related, Dodonpachi Daioujou Tamashii also defaults to easy, along with having an easy mode. Not the first time an extremely difficult arcade shmup would get an easier version at some point down the line.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

I haven't played the MD version, and thus have no opinion on it. One of my friends swears by it, though.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

LordHypnos wrote:Decided to play some Wisp Lisp Array of List earlier today and actually almost ended up being late to a thing because of how addictive it is. Also did anyone ever figure out how scoring works in this? It seems very inconsistent.
I played it a bit a long time ago, but never made much progress in it. I figured that you were supposed to kill the enemies and the mid-bosses as quickly as possible to extend the clock, but as soon as I killed the first mid-boss, the background changes to a negative dimension where all the enemies fire at you so damn fast you can't really react and score properly. Maybe the stray red homing shot that you fire sometimes has some significance, in addition to the secondary shot? I can't really say.

On a side note, what a weird name! Was I in charge of finding a name, I would fear that this one would make trying to find info on the game bring up C# or Java classes documentation pages instead. :lol:
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

M.Knight wrote:
I played it a bit a long time ago, but never made much progress in it. I figured that you were supposed to kill the enemies and the mid-bosses as quickly as possible to extend the clock, but as soon as I killed the first mid-boss, the background changes to a negative dimension where all the enemies fire at you so damn fast you can't really react and score properly. Maybe the stray red homing shot that you fire sometimes has some significance, in addition to the secondary shot? I can't really say.

On a side note, what a weird name! Was I in charge of finding a name, I would fear that this one would make trying to find info on the game bring up C# or Java classes documentation pages instead. :lol:
All of these things are true. Really it's just a weird game in general. bizarre enemies, too.

All I could figure out is that killing enemies faster leads to bonus enemies, but not in the way you'd suspect. Instead of additional waves you just get larger numbers of enemies in the wave, at least with the big enemies. One thing that isn't super obvious is that you have a sort of special weapon on the x button that seems to be more powerful, and cancels some bullets around you right at the beginning of using it (though you gotta be careful, because the bullet cancelling window is pretty short). Then it needs to recharge. It feels like the duration of the attack might shorten as the game continues, but it might just feel that way because of how hectic the bullets / enemies get. I think killing enemies with the secondary weapon might get you higher scores, but I'm not even sure. I can end up with a score of like 4000 or 20,000 in the same place in the game without doing anything noticeably different. I also have a high score in "nomal" difficulty of around 50,000, that I don't remember how I got (I've actually had this game for like 2+ years), The highest I was able to get yesterday was 30,000.

The red bullets and red meter are definitely a complete mystery to me.

It's actually quite a fun little caravan game, I almost want to start a scoring thread for it, but I feel like I'd get literally no other scores other than my own.
1) Create Scoring System
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Double post, but Triggerheart Exelica update: I have a strategy (from Ferocious Swan's perfect play video on YT) for the field of death now. I have only managed to execute it a handful of times, but it seems like it's getting better. The boss is pretty rough, too, though. Fero actually bombs it quite a few times, so I don't know if I can get too many strats from that. Also it seems like I've gotten less consistent at stage 3. I think that it's about time I should start routing stage 5, though. Hopefully it's not as hard as stage 4, or this 1cc attempt could take a long ass time. I'm pretty determined, though, either way.
1) Create Scoring System
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Stevens wrote:
LordHypnos wrote:One of them is V . V
Because of my adult on set retardation I had to look at this about five times before I realized what you were talking about. You have reminded me (thank you) I started 2017 in what was basically a Toaplan coma. VV, Dogyuun, and Tatsujin Oh were my play list for the better part of a month. I recommend trying the other two also.

I didn't clear VV as my well know ADD kicked in and I went on to something else, but I did quite enjoy my time with it. I think I was reaching stage five when I moved on, but I do remember my weapon of choice was the default beefed up to max, and then obviously shields. I had some rudimentary (solid) strats for the bosses though - stage two's was based around the default guns fan being used to take care of the zakos and then concentrating it to deal damage while avoiding the laser and the shots from the side.

Obviously it sounds easy but that fucker was always a nerve wrackingish affair in a way no stage two boss ever should be:D

Still throwing down with Thunder Force IV once or twice a week but haven't progressed beyond stage eight just yet. Totally enjoying my time with it though.

Been playing some Yoshi's Island and enjoying it far more than I ever thought I would since I usually don't play Mario/Sonic type platformers. Feels a lot like a Treasure game (to me anyways) and I think that is why I'm digging it so much.

Also splitting time with Blackthorne and Alien Soldier. AS is another game on my growing "Why did I wait 20+ years to play this?" list.
Man you are playing some classics! I'm jealous. I love retro. I enjoy my PS4 but something beautiful about going into my collection and picking out a classic. Never gets old.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Managed to get Macross 2's Beginner course 1CC.
Once you realize you shouldn't kill the last boss too early but milk as many turrets as possible in the few seconds available, getting that score requirement gets easier. This final stage is very overwhelming at first but I ended up liking all the bonuses you can get there and the fast pace at which those mini-tests occur. According to the stage branching screen, it seems like all difficulites end with this stage which is a bit of shame as I would have prefered every final zone to be independent with each its own final boss just like in Darius games.

I am now struggling to get the score requirement for the Medium course's third stage. Man, what a difficulty spike.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Still plugging away at Triggerheart. I do think I'm getting better at stage 4, but it's still a long way from where it needs to be. Starting to route stage 5, and it's not quite as long, seemingly, but has some similarly difficult parts (a lot of very careful timing and aiming when chucking enemies at other enemies)

Also decided to give Judgement Silversword a try, and I think I might prefer it over Eschatos except for the button mashing. I'm aware that you don't have to do the button mashing (I think people call it the hybrid shot), but it's pretty tough to get through certain parts of the 3rd stage without it, and I'm guessing it only gets worse. I hope I can eventually unlock the secret ship, because there shouldn't be any button mashing necessary with that one, but it looks like that could take a long time. Furthest I've made it in one credit is Mirror Shield, who is way harder in JSS than in Eschatos. Also, rather amusingly, after playing JSS for a while, I decided to take another gander at Eschatos Easy difficulty, which I've played a handful of times but never cleared, and I got it on the first try. JSS is good training for Eschatos, I think.
1) Create Scoring System
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Double post, but now that I'm done with Triggerheart, I'm thinking I'm going to do Giga Wing 2, next. So far liking Romi as playership.
1) Create Scoring System
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Having some fun with R-Type on the PC Engine.
Also, switched from Garegga's premium arrange to arcade mode. I'm almost on stage 6.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Early thoughts on Giga Wing 2:

What is it about Takumi scoring systems, man. Too fun trying to get the volcanons. I do want to focus on getting the clear at first (though it's pretty hard to resist restarting if I don't get a volcanon somewhere that I have before), but I could actually see coming back to this. Mars Matrix it ain't, but it's a pretty cool scoring system. Dying is punished more than I would like (I think it resets your medal value or something), but I don't know how much it matters compared to the other aspects.

Looks like Romi might actually be the worst character from a scoring perspective, judging by the WR scores. I don't understand why as narrow shot + high speed is usually better for score. It's probably the stage order.

Super fun game so far. Very fast paced, well done reflect mechanic, bullet patterns designed around the reflect mechanic. I'll probably think of more stuff later.
1) Create Scoring System
J_C

Post by J_C »

Well I'm not a hardcore shmup player, so I'm just playing some plain Jamestown. :) If only I knew how to fix those damn graphical artifacts which make the screen flicker from time to time.
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

M.Knight wrote:-Hoarding bombs instead of using them to score more is encouraged by the end-stage bonuses.
While highly optimized play definitely discourages bombs use, they're actually quite useful in situations where you can gain more than the bonus with a bomb where it would be otherwise more difficult to score without. Bombs also allow you to speedkill and reach higher scoring waves faster. Bombing can be a good tool for reaching the score threshold.
M.Knight wrote:-Enemies coming from behind can immediately damage you, unlike the majority of TD2's enemies that do that.
I don't recall any of the enemies doing this. The ones I remember all have a delay before they damage you. The red bonus ships never even gain a hitbox that you can collide with, allowing you to smoothly position yourself to take them out in sequence.
M.Knight wrote:Managed to get Macross 2's Beginner course 1CC.
According to the stage branching screen, it seems like all difficulites end with this stage which is a bit of shame as I would have prefered every final zone to be independent with each its own final boss just like in Darius games.
I am now struggling to get the score requirement for the Medium course's third stage. Man, what a difficulty spike.
Congrats. I agree that the game would have benefited from some more variety in the final stage between courses, but at least the last stage is well enough designed to make it not feel like a chore. As for Medium Course stage 3, it's probably the biggest hurdle in the entire game. You really need to know nearly all of the hidden bonuses to stand a chance of reaching stage 4 consistently.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Mostly Detana!! TwinBee, with a sprinkling of TwinBee Yahho!

I was toying around with no-powerup runs of Detana today - turns out a 1-ALL is very doable. After a couple of attempts I was able to make it to stage 6 on a single credit. The hardest part is making sure you don't accidentally grab one of the powerups (randomly!) dropped by ground enemies - I had to resort to a lot of awkward movements to make sure I always had the chance to look what a ground target dropped before grabbing it. Accidentally grabbing a non-golden bell is also a danger, but that's easier to control. As far as actual survival goes, I'm guessing stage 6 would be the hardest, though the midbosses in stage 7 are also troublesome without speedups.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Ghost of Sparta

Post by Ghost of Sparta »

Playing currently R-Type III on the SFC!
One of the best shmups on the System! Love this game still like the first time I ever played it many years ago! :D
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Square_Air wrote: While highly optimized play definitely discourages bombs use, they're actually quite useful in situations where you can gain more than the bonus with a bomb where it would be otherwise more difficult to score without. Bombs also allow you to speedkill and reach higher scoring waves faster. Bombing can be a good tool for reaching the score threshold.
I tend to use bombs in some crowded situations or when I really have to kill that boss before the timer runs out, so there is defintely some usefulness to them. I don't think I'll get to a level where I'll have to optimize everything and stop bombing altogether, but it's more the mindset behind the no-bomb bonuses that I dislike. As a design choice, it feels very tacked-on and seemed as if it had no thought put behind it and no analysis of the actual impact of bombs in the level design.

That said, this is not a complaint especially targeted at Macross 2. I never enjoy scoring systems that forbid you from using their bombs because they simply are not fun and artifically deprive you from exploiting the tactical usefulness of bombs instead of letting you embrace their power for scoring purposes. Not only that, they also build terrible bombing habits when going for survival.
Square_Air wrote: I don't recall any of the enemies doing this. The ones I remember all have a delay before they damage you. The red bonus ships never even gain a hitbox that you can collide with, allowing you to smoothly position yourself to take them out in sequence.
I think I got hit by the four red mechas that spawn from behind in Medium Course's Stage 3. That behavior may not be very common but I don't think it is nonexistent.
Square_Air wrote: Congrats. I agree that the game would have benefited from some more variety in the final stage between courses, but at least the last stage is well enough designed to make it not feel like a chore. As for Medium Course stage 3, it's probably the biggest hurdle in the entire game. You really need to know nearly all of the hidden bonuses to stand a chance of reaching stage 4 consistently.
I tried clearing the Beginner course a second time but find it difficult to clear the final stage again. Its intensity and the amount of scoring tricks in it makes it enjoyable despite being on multiple paths, but some of the bonuses do feel arcane. In comparison, Medium Course's Stage 3 may be very difficult but most of its scoring tricks are obvious, aside from the one where you have to let the red enemies fire missiles.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I've had DBCS since day one but have only just started making an earnest attempt to clear QUZ on one life (having dabbled with it casually at several points). I think I'm almost there - the latter half of Z can get a bit messy if I fail the mid-level counterburst, but I'm confident with pretty much everything else. I've been practicing G.T. V in the DLC mode, so I should have this in the bag after a few more sessions...
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

I pretty rapidly got stages 1-3 in Giga Wing 2 basic-routed, but now I'm slowly trying to figure out a route for the much more difficult stage 4, and stage 4 boss. I do think that some refining will be necessary in stages 1-3, but I've got plenty of time to figure that out.

It would also be really nice if I could actually consistently get the volcanons in stage 1, because it seems to double to triple my stage 1 score. Unfortunately I can't find any videos of Romi stage 1 anywhere, and at higher difficulties there are a lot more bullets and therefore a lot more medals, so the volcanons seem like they'd be easier to get. I'm guessing this is why Romi isn't as popular for score play, actually. I can get some decent volcanons on the boss, though. I'm very curious to see how my score will turn out once I get the ALL, though that's probably a long way away.

One thing that I'm not perfect on yet is the shield timing, which I'll probably need to get a lot better on. It's definitely a bit longer of an activation time than Mars Matrix. So far it's been a blast though. Unsurprisingly this game is probably the closest feeling to Mars Matrix of anything even though the shield is much less flexible than the MM one.
1) Create Scoring System
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

One small tip for triggering the volcanons more easily: During the time the reflect shield is active, do not collect any of the regular medals. The volcanons are triggered by a sprite overflow, so that any medal on screen is very important.

Maybe you already knew about it anyway. Thought I'd just drop it here.

GW2 is a fantastic game! Have fun! :D
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Plasmo wrote:One small tip for triggering the volcanons more easily: During the time the reflect shield is active, do not collect any of the regular medals. The volcanons are triggered by a sprite overflow, so that any medal on screen is very important.

Maybe you already knew about it anyway. Thought I'd just drop it here.

GW2 is a fantastic game! Have fun! :D
I sort of knew this, because I knew that they're triggered by having 110+ medals on the screen, but I should really probably put a bit more effort into actually making sure I'm not picking up medals that I don't have to until the volcanon. I know I also need to try to get the hang of the technique where people shield, then pull back a little, then push forward if you know what I mean. A lot of the videos that I've seen have that and I just have not gotten the hang of it yet.
Thanks for the advice!
1) Create Scoring System
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

M.Knight wrote: I think I got hit by the four red mechas that spawn from behind in Medium Course's Stage 3. That behavior may not be very common but I don't think it is nonexistent.
I checked again and enemies without damaging hitboxes seem to be the exception rather than the norm. Big pink enemies coming from behind in Beginner course Stage 2 can damage you, purple mechas coming from behind in Medium Course Stage 2 can do the same, and so on and so forth. It could be a shmupmame-related bug though.

Anyway, that's not the only gripe I have with the game. The more I play, the more I have difficulty bearing the myriad of ways Macross 2's bonuses force you to not always kill everything as fast as possible.

Medium Course Stage 1 has a 60k bonus that requires you to let a rather harmless enemy stay alive fifteen seconds or so just so that it can summon helper enemies that you have to kill for the bonus. The red mechas in Medium Course Stage 2 you have to let fire their missiles or those in the Final Stage you have to damage enough to have them fire their destructible projectiles without killing them too quickly are more annoying because they are other mechas with the exact same sprite in other waves that you actually have to speedkill. Unlike the red jets that come from behind where seeing one immediatly tells you what you should do, here you have to memorize which red mechas you have to keep alive for a while and which ones you should quick-kill.

The small red enemies coming from behind to drop destructible projectiles can be a bother given how frail they are. They also show how having the shot type related to floating cycling power-ups forces unfun memorization : if you happen to have a homing missile, expect it to fly straight into it and kill it before it drops its entire load.

It can also be a bit more subtle. Medium Course Stage 3 fucks you over if you quick-kill the big green ships that come from the top or the bottom because half of the spawned green coins end up above or below the playable area and are thus uncollectable. Given how precious points are in this stage, it is even more frustrating to penalized for being too good.

Other shmups I am playing at the moment :

Space Moth DX

I am not especially a huge Mushihimesama fan so the gameplay style and scoring system did not awe me, but they do the job nonetheless. I like that the soul drain mechanics not only make sense in-universe, but are also simple to understand and feel less arbitrary than Mushi's shot switching mechanic, as there is no random bar in a remote corner of the screen with an arbitrary number on it that wants you to play Simon Says with the shot and laser. Of course, having to use the shot to weaken bigger enemies while you would usually use the laser instead for a more focused movement still features this unpleasant arbitrariness, but to a lower extent. Besides, the visual and aural presentation of the mechanic with the enemies switching colors and a jingle playing make it engaging enough.

Speaking of presentation, the 80's retro feel in the menus is very genuine. The collectible bonuses in the stages being miscellanous food or animal icons that recall 80s arcade games' bonuses and/or power ups is a neat touch that I find super charming.

I reached stage 4 and so far the pacing is rather good, except for stage 2 that I think feels a bit too long. Bosses only having one pattern is not a problem to me as they are very quick to be disposed of, however the time bonus mechanic that forces you to wait until the very last second to kill the boss is defintely not my cup of tea. My first gripe is that I have to check the bar at the top of the screen to make sure I don't kill the boss too early but put its health in the correct range, which is distracting. The second gripe is that it is a form of boss milking and an arbitrary extension of the fight duration.

Fire Arrow X

That's the first Team Grybanser Fox game I play and I like the general design idea with a fast pace, lots of explosions and all those other things that make you feel in an arcade game. There is a lot of effort put into the visual presentation, the tech demo-esque sprite rotations in Fire Arrow Plus' menus are amusing, the music is catchy and the general feeling of destroying enemies and collecting medals is enjoyable.

However, I also find it quite difficult to properly play the game for various reasons :
-The default visibility is trash. You can thankfully remove the annoying flashing effect on bullets, and make player shots more transparent. While that helps a lot, it is still not perfect.
-Many enemy attacks are straight up unfair. Enemies that spawn from the bottom near your vertical level and shoot at you point-blank? Check. Mid boss that fires big lasers in your face almost instantly and that should be chain bombed rather than properly dodged? Check. Sea Dragons that can spawn at the very bottom of the screen and kill you on collision? Check. There must be many more I haven't even reached yet.
-The recovery invincibility lasts half a second or so, which is way too low.
-For a game that defines itself as a coffee break shmup, it sure likes to take ages to start a run and register your hiscore. Fire Arrow Plus has not one but two intro screens before each run, and both games in the compilation have an unskippable score rundown and an unskippable display of every single one of the ranking entries at the end of each run. That kills the quick replayability and the 'one more run' feeling that a fast-paced scoring-based game should instill in the player.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

I've gotten much more consistent at triggering the volcanons in stage 1 of Giga Wing 2, but it seems like I've gotten less consistent at triggering the volcanons in stages 2 and 3. Additionally, there's one spot left on the stage 1 boss where I sometimes but not always trigger a volcanon. Wish I could figure out how to get that more consistent.

Due probably to a combination of not bombing enough (you actually get decent amounts of bombs in this game, and there are no extends, so you'd better use them), and insufficient memorization I still haven't made it all the way to the stage 4 boss in one run even though I have routes for everything up to and including that boss. This is a frustrating place to be at in a shooter.

Anyway, Giga Wing 2 is the shit. Not much more to say.
1) Create Scoring System