Shmups with "bastard tecnho"?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
qmish

Shmups with "bastard tecnho"?

Post by qmish »

Looking for shmups which soundtrack would consist of such music, which i call "bastard techno" because it sounds, well, like someone is being bastard :D

Shmup music usually have catchy, melodic tunes. And even electronic goodness by K.H.D.N. tends to be on a good side. While this music, being trance enough, has very raw character, like a cold blooded killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GnT1FJBZJs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlSK3M6FTY8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kW8lMYLYzk
Drachenherz

Re: Shmups with "bastard tecnho"?

Post by Drachenherz »

Ask emphatic. :D
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
BIL

Post by BIL »

Cool songs. :smile: Off the top of my head, Raiden Fighters and Zed Blade's nuttier stuff come to mind. I like the Saturn arrangement of Garegga's Eruptor, too.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Btw, tracks from OP are by one of Armored Core composers :idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YtDaOUFO3g
Saturn arrangement of Garegga's Eruptor
Ain't that closer to gabber, though? Like Cave's True Last Boss themes. Like them, too, of course, but i was more thinking about music for stages.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

While you can easily find a ton of techno artists with this sound, I really can't think of any shmups with similar soundtracks. My best bet would honestly be Recca of all things, but it's a sort of abstract comparison due to the limitations of the soundchip. It's not able to produce the same deep bass sound as the examples you're providing - but I bet it would if it's could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgtTo8BDQtY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8rp2sTZaAA
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

"bastard techno"

For a moment I couldn't help but think "the shit douchebags put at deafening levels in their ridiculous customized cars"

:oops:
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
qmish

Post by qmish »

"the shit douchebags put at deafening levels in their ridiculous customized cars"
:lol: considering how it's bass frequences you hear first...

Though, nah, that was just my impression from those examples. While genre might be minimal techno or hard techno, i dunno, its just something about atmosphere and feeling it gives - feeling of some guy who doesnt tolerate anything and just goes forward to his aim while stepping down on enemies who fell down from skyscraper after being hitted by his body; and his face doesnt even show any emotion.
CIT

Post by CIT »

I think Parasquad (Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000) has exactly the kind of music you're looking for.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

There's only a couple games that come to mind with a similar sound:

Mars Matrix definitely sounds 'rough' in terms of its techno sound, it's the closest I can think of.

Daifukkatsu Black Label has some tracks that sound a lot like this.

Streets of Rage 3 is a beat 'em up, but it definitely fits the bill here.
qmish

Post by qmish »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Mars Matrix
Cool soundtrack Mars Matrix has, but it's pretty soft and upbeat. Same for k.h.d.n.'s Chaos Field/Radirgy/Illvelo/Karous/etc. - though they have some intense boss fight themes but those are usually either gabber or breakbeat.
Inglorious_B

Post by Inglorious_B »

If you haven't played Galaga Legions DX with the lights off and the sound pumped through a good set of speakers, you are really missing out.

It's an amazing soundtrack- sophisticated electronic music that really complements the game.

Make sure you turn down the SFX sounds too- they can really spoil the music unless you keep them low.

If you really want bastard techno, Google 'Angerfist' or 'Dr Peacock' and play their mixes with the Shmup of your choice. See how long you can take it for!
Last edited by Inglorious_B on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~SURVIVALIST~~~
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

qmish wrote:hough they have some intense boss fight themes but those are usually either gabber or breakbeat.
Yeah, the tunes you were posting are a lot more minimal. More "classic" techno style if you will. I like it a lot.
wizkid

Post by wizkid »

I'm no music expert, but Wolflame fits the techno bill at least, sadly there is no ost on youtube, but you can hear one track in the trailer(this one may sound too melodic and upbeat, but others are less so)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihrJw0guc98
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

The thread title reminded me of the stage 6 track of Garegga's 2016 Remix OST.
https://youtu.be/DoZwawi_Hko?t=24s

It's not as Detroit techno as the ones you posted but still fit the style.
Edit: actually is bit more on the Trance side.

I didn't play anything else recently so no other examples come to mind.

Mars Matrix is a cool one, but they use the best beat on the select screen >.< what a waste...
qmish

Post by qmish »

BIL wrote:Raiden Fighters
While not exactly close, but that rave music from Raiden Fighters series is pretty nice. Also makes you psycho while playing :P Thanks
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

The Mars Matrix track i was talking about in the previous post is this one:
Mars Matrix music - Secret Loop (Ship select /Tutorial)
It's such a good beat, but it's only a small loop.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

As far as Mars Matrix stage music goes, it's probably worth checking out the stage 4 theme if you haven't yet. Although it might be a bit more down tempo than you're looking, but it's definitely harsh, percussive, and non-melodic and has some cool bass.

I tend to think of stages 1, 2 and 4 as having the harsher beats, and also the boss themes. Stage 5 has its own boss music, though it's part of the same track as the stage 5 music on the OST.

Also, on a tangential note, whatever genre stage 6 is I want more of.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
qmish

Post by qmish »

LordHypnos wrote: Also, on a tangential note, whatever genre stage 6 is I want more of.
Yes, this is beautiful and powerful in emotions track. (I enjoy Mars Matrix music, but as i said it's a bit more "downtempish" and "soft" [Stage 3 might be most calm/chilled of all] - though i totally forgot that Ship Select beat mentioned before you). As for genre, technically it's something between trip-hop and breakbeat with some glitch and sample-mangling. Magic happens cause it works together.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

LordHypnos wrote: Also, on a tangential note, whatever genre stage 6 is I want more of.
IDM I guess?
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

LordHypnos wrote:As far as Mars Matrix stage music goes, it's probably worth checking out the stage 4 theme if you haven't yet. Although it might be a bit more down tempo than you're looking, but it's definitely harsh, percussive, and non-melodic and has some cool bass.
Uh, the bassline on that one is quite good.
I have the game on CPS2 and never even heard the 4th track; i have to get on it.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Mars Matrix definitely sounds 'rough' in terms of its techno sound, it's the closest I can think of.
It's really Industrial with that second generation edge to it. To me that's how Industrial was meant to be and we can safely forget all the bollocks that passes for 'Industrial' for the most part these days.
More Bromances = safer people
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Mars Matrix is all over the techno spectrum.

The stage 1 theme definitely has some electro industrial to it, mostly thanks to its breakbeat drums and mechanical guitar riffs. You could say the same about Prodigy though. It does sound straight out of Front 242's two 1993 records at least. I wouldn't refraing from labeling it "big beat" (a sadly shortlived subgenre).

Meanwhile stage 2 is pretty much straight up psytrance - not a whole lot to say about that. Of course, Astral Projection officially namedropped Skinny Puppy as a source of inspiration, but it's still a bit of a stretch.

Stage 3 and 6 are both very IDM'ish as I pointed out, but they definitely have a strong similarity to late era (early 00s) Front Line Assembly or Noise Unit which are tangential to the same category.

Either way, the Mars Matrix soundtrack is really badass :3
qmish

Post by qmish »

ok now where are Chaos Field and Karous fans? i dont hear ya!

:mrgreen:
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

qmish wrote:ok now where are Chaos Field and Karous fans? i dont hear ya!

:mrgreen:
I'm not very well versed in Milestone stuff, but if you're up for further thread derailment, what I've heard of the Chaos Field soundtrack is extremely cool :P
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

You could say the same about Prodigy though. It does sound straight out of Front 242's two 1993 records at least. I wouldn't refraing from labeling it "big beat" (a sadly shortlived subgenre).
F242 - not to my ear it doesn't. To be honest, F242 were never full on and nasty. We see slight shades of aggression with Soul-Manager but there are far, far, far more hard-edged Industrial bands around the second generation era for Industrial.

Is the music Techno or Industrial: Well, that kind of boils down tot eh song structure often. If you take EBM it's basically boiled down rock music taken to its primitives in terms of structure i tend to find.

If you want something with more teeth look up Portion-Control for example the Global track and perhaps the reworked 'Brain Scraper Deathdive' or even James Ray's Gangwar for Metalloid.
More Bromances = safer people
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

MintyTheCat wrote:To be honest, F242 were never full on and nasty.
No, but neither is the Mars Matrix soundtrack. I'd say they're around the same level of "nasty"
Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gauQC1am2zk (Pulse has to be one of the most criminally underappreciated albums ever created)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlaYLXgfHd8

Also, did you just suggest that I "look up Portion Control"? :3 :3 : 3

qmish

Post by qmish »

Mantrox wrote:The thread title reminded me of the stage 6 track of Garegga's 2016 Remix OST.

It's not as Detroit techno as the ones you posted but still fit the style.
Edit: actually is bit more on the Trance side.
That reminded me Fast Striker's Stage 5 music. It's pretty melodic (yeah, not bastard at all), but still has some crying energy in it, with some pretty intense power up parts.

I only can find gameplay footage with not best sound quality, but still might work for impression
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aru--B-J8l4

Intensity starts building up since 0:45 a bit, and then goes strong at 1:46 and 2:06

Now, if we go back to some harsh stuff...

While, again, not very close to what i was looking for, but Armed Police Batrider boss themes are one of most raw and intense tracks that can even top Cave's TLB themes subjectively
https://youtu.be/hlYPoqOg8sc (dat bassline appears later!)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Batrider's boss tracks are rugged and raw as fuck - as they would be, given they're pretty much covers of JP metal band Cocobat. :mrgreen:

>COCOBAT CRUNCH
>CAN'T WAKE UP
qmish

Post by qmish »

Wow, nice. It's borderlines tech grindcore at some points i'd say.

Why i mentioned Karous, besides trance/techno/gabber/d'n'b it also nearly achieved breakcore sound which i dont see elsewhere
This "name entry" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qSdtyZOLR8 it's not Venetian Snares level, but still happy to see

that gabberish TLB theme is hilarious though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSSvC_wwUt0

5 questions from Radirgy Noa is pretty wonderful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0POUYkXU8Ck

tl;dr
K.H.D.N. musicians duo who started on Zanac Neo and then made all Milestone soundtracks, they still remain for me as prime example of "true electronica" shmup music, alongside with Raiden Fighters 1-2 and Mars Matrix. Chaos Field is nearly always in my top-10 osts.

Though, none of all of that is "scoundrel techno" i was searching for :D Though boss them from RF2 was close with its dark rave
NMK's Operation Ragnarok?
This one also had some crazy final boss theme.