Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
XoPachi

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by XoPachi »

I'm playing Blue Revolver. What's that loud beep I sometimes hear at seemingly random spots in the game? It's not the multiplier telling me the combo is at max. It's something else.
(Also, this game is REALLY hard.)
Rue

Post by Rue »

XoPachi wrote:I'm playing Blue Revolver. What's that loud beep I sometimes hear at seemingly random spots in the game? It's not the multiplier telling me the combo is at max. It's something else.
Break bonus prompt. Usually involves destroying a specific thing or not destroying a specific thing shown with either a circle or a cross.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Rue wrote:
XoPachi wrote:I'm playing Blue Revolver. What's that loud beep I sometimes hear at seemingly random spots in the game? It's not the multiplier telling me the combo is at max. It's something else.
Break bonus prompt. Usually involves destroying a specific thing or not destroying a specific thing shown with either a circle or a cross.
Oh that's how that's indicated? That's so helpful! I actually never noticed the circles or crosses.
EDIT: S̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶t̶r̶o̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶t̶r̶o̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶w̶o̶ ̶s̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶g̶u̶n̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶m̶i̶d̶ ̶b̶o̶s̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶e̶n̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶U̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶r̶m̶a̶l̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶t̶,̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶c̶e̶n̶t̶r̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶e̶,̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶e̶,̶ ̶b̶o̶m̶b̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶e̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶t̶r̶o̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶c̶e̶.̶.̶.̶s̶o̶m̶e̶h̶o̶w̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶g̶u̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶a̶k̶e̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶d̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶b̶o̶m̶b̶i̶n̶g̶?̶ ̶O̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶,̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶.̶ ̶:̶/̶

Oh.....there's a guide IN the damn game. :l
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Are there significant differences between the ROMs of DaiOuJou's ddpdoj, ddpdoja and ddpdojb? Not sure which one is the "best" to play in terms of balance and not falling straight on my ass once st3 starts - but that last one is a personal problem.
crocky

Post by crocky »

Galaga is older. gaplus is the same thing but later?
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Can somebody give me a quick rundown of the characters in Giga Wing 2? Speed, shot advantages, anyone just suck, etc.?
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
qmish

Post by qmish »

Do you also sometimes not shoot in shmup, seeing how far you can do with pacific dodging? :lol:
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

qmish wrote:Do you also sometimes not shoot in shmup, seeing how far you can do with pacific dodging? :lol:
I don't personally do this, but there's some cool videos of people doing this in games to varying degrees. One of my faves is this Mars matrix one by A.K 上越.

It's not a pacifist run, exactly, but a low scoring one. In MM every time you get points it gets multiplied by your experience, and experience starts out at 0, so if you can avoid getting medals you can actually avoid getting points entirely. Of course, it gets very difficult to avoid making medals appear eventually, and dodging them when they do, so the player does eventually get some points, but it's still very impressive. You get to see a lot more of the bullet patterns, and more dodging than you normally do.

I think you can actually do legit 0 score runs of the Giga Wing games.

Not exactly the same, but you can get a negative score in Night Raid. That's probably the only game that has that. I guess Takumi games are prone to this kind of stuff.
1) Create Scoring System
qmish

Post by qmish »

^ oh, interesting.

New :?:
What was that rotating multi-laser in Raiden Fighters? It rotates with movement on ship, CW or CCW depending on if you move left or right. Did it appear in other games?
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Anyone know who did the song for this Gradius intro? Because I love it. A lot. Like...a LOT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VALbuxa4nbQ

(Man those visuals take me back...)
BIL

Post by BIL »

I was going to say Sota Fujimori - seemed to recall him being credited, and it reminds me a lot of his Neo Contra OST - but according to VGMdb, it's credited to his colleague Akira Yamoka. Could easily see that being true - despite his repute for ambient horror and hard rock, Yamaoka was no stranger to dancier electronic stuff either. They co-composed Shin Contra's OST, incidentally (that track is Yamaoka's, too). :smile:
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Now that you say that, I completely believe it. Some parts of that song have noticeable similarities to some of Yamaoka's other stuff. Compare, say, this to this.
qmish

Post by qmish »

I wish Yamaoka wrote more of this surreal techno. It was pretty rare among his works (most of which were trip-hop, ambient, industrial, rock etc.).

This sh2 trailer was pretty much groovy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daOxq0WKIHo

Other example would be that sh3 promo video (not techno though, but weird in different way than his usual works)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0hQf9byfwI

And there was that ep with minimal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbuGgznSVgQ
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Guardian Force crashes when I get to Stage-C on SSF... Is that common or is the emulator not good? I'm just playing as usual until the game suddenly freezes up.
qmish

Post by qmish »

SSF is most compatible emulator, but... might be something wrong with setting OR maybe you must try different version of emulator (some stuff works on r3 bettern than on r4 etc.)

i cant guarantee that game works perfectly though, maybe somebody else knows
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

There's probably something wrong, because the game runs normally up until I get to that stage, and then the game freezes. I don't know how to change the settings or which version of SSF I should use. I want someone to try Guardian Force on SSF, reach Stage-C, and see if anyone else is experiencing this problem.
paggini

Post by paggini »

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone here has a spare Dragon Blaze manual for the PS2 PAL release for sale, or would be willing to scan it? Also if anybody has, by any chance, a spare front cover of In the Hunt PAL version or would be willing to scan it, I would be extremely grateful! Thanks!
fluttershaft

Post by fluttershaft »

I'd like to get Rayforce/Layer Section for PC, can it still be purchased for affordable price? Where would you recommend to buy it, not familiar with all the online stores.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Does Ketsui take place in the same universe as the DonPachi series? I mean, EVAC Industry makes an appearance in one of the games, if I recall correctly. There's also the Black Label version of Daifukkatsu which had Ketsui in it, with even DOOM reprising its role as the true final boss there. Also on a side note, are the Soldner-X series connected to the two Soldner games "Marine Corps" and "Secret Wars"? GameFAQs thinks so, but I don't see any resemblance, not to mention they're from a different company.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

fluttershaft wrote:I'd like to get Rayforce/Layer Section for PC, can it still be purchased for affordable price? Where would you recommend to buy it, not familiar with all the online stores.
a 5 second search on ebay and amazon reveals that there's some decently priced copies on ebay, and the cheapest on amazon looked like about $40, which is not bad for a physical shmup these days, though there were cheaper copies by a lot on ebay.

ebay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... c&_sacat=0

I can't speak to the condition that any of these are in, but you could probably ask the seller for details.
1) Create Scoring System
Luigimaker

Post by Luigimaker »

How can autofire scores be put on the same leaderboards as no autofire?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Luigimaker wrote:How can autofire scores be put on the same leaderboards as no autofire?
IMHO there is no way to enforce or verify such a policy. So if you don't want to use autofire, nothing stopping you, and you can call it out with your score as a badge of honor if you like.
Luigimaker

Post by Luigimaker »

Dave_K. wrote: IMHO there is no way to enforce or verify such a policy. So if you don't want to use autofire, nothing stopping you, and you can call it out with your score as a badge of honor if you like.
Im not saying disallow it, just incase it wasn't clear but asking why there isnt a seperate table, especially when some tables have a part mentioning if autofire was used. Verification wouldnt be necessary as its a petty thing to lie about, and since this site just takes images whos to say they arent cheating anyway
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I guess depends on who is maintaining the highscore table/thread. But yeah, I wouldn't make it a requirement across all tables, even if we are pretty relaxed with any formal verification of scores.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

How come I sometimes see Ti2's hair is short then long? She makes me think of Weiss from Arcana Heart or Fio and Esto from Astebreed.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Macross 2 has a lot of flashy text to announce the point bonuses you have unlocked, alongside a fast-paced musical jingle.

What kind of other shmups have the same kind of feature? I know the Star Soldier and Bullet Soul games do that with their bonuses, but are there any others? The flashier, the more exciting, and the more dynamic, the better.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Do the Iridion and Nano series take place in the same verse? I mean, not only are they from the same company, but the final boss in Nanostray is the exact same final boss as Iridion 3D and II.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Anyone knows why Shmupmame 4.2 cannot save vsync settings?
M.Knight wrote:What kind of other shmups have the same kind of feature?
Sexy Parodius probably worth mentioning, certain enemies have point bonus with 8-bit fonts if I remember.
FabulousVioletGuy

Post by FabulousVioletGuy »

Not really a question, but the other day I figured out why Konami GX shumps and Psikyo SH2 shumps were using absurd levels of CPU resources in sdlmame (the former because sleep was off, the latter because waitvsync needed to be enabled).
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

copy-paster : Thanks!
I even see that there are two types of point bonuses displayed : the enemies with the 8-bit font, and the coins with a bigger, goofier font. That's interesting!

If anybody else also has other examples, I am still all ears.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project