Any great gaming monitors for 2018?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

Any great gaming monitors for 2018?

Post by evil_ash_xero »

One of my monitors is dying, so I'm looking to get a new one.

Can anyone recommend a top notch gaming monitor? This is primarily for shmups, so low input lag (sub one frame) is a must. And portrait mode (or an optional stand) is a must too.
I'd like to get something a little bigger, so if it's possible to get a 27 inch, or even a 32 inch would be great.

I'm hoping there's some awesome models for 2018. I saw an Acer that looked good, but I'd like to get some input from here. There's always something I overlook.

Thanks in advance.
Mr.DW80s

Re: Any great gaming monitors for 2018?

Post by Mr.DW80s »

Honestly, I wouldn't mind knowing myself too. It would be amazing to see what the new tech can do for analog gaming consoles.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I have looked a lot, and it's a little frustrating.

Lots of different information, from various sites. Especially when it comes to how many ms input delay it has.

I would like a 27 inch gaming monitor, that was not a TN, that had really low lag. I got a Dell UltraSharp U2715H for my normal computer (non gaming), and I think it has like 12 ms on average input delay. I'd shoot for something better, in a retro/shmupping monitor.
I would even prefer a native 1080p.

I miss when TVs and monitors were VERY simple. :lol:
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Xyga mentioned one that he really likes. You might try the search and try to find his mini review. I don't recall the make and model.
We apologise for the inconvenience
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

orange808 wrote:Xyga mentioned one that he really likes. You might try the search and try to find his mini review. I don't recall the make and model.
I'll have to look for that. Him and Fudoh usually have the most info on these things. I don't know how they check out so many monitors and TVs. :lol:
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Before your tv thread bump I was probably looking at dell's S2718H as a cheap 1080p hdr option ... unfortunately the lack of portrait/vesa mount probably rules it out for you?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

gray117 wrote:Before your tv thread bump I was probably looking at dell's S2718H as a cheap 1080p hdr option ... unfortunately the lack of portrait/vesa mount probably rules it out for you?
They make a VESA adapter for it. However, it's around 11ms. I'd like something a bit less, if I'm going with a monitor. I don't know if I'm gonna find it or not.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

"Top notch" is a matter of opinion....

Can you narrow it down by specifying which consoles you will be using it for?

The great monitors I have for arcade or PS2 games are very different to great monitors for a PS4.

The lowest input lag would be on a CRT monitor that does not have image processing. Most later PC CRT monitors are capable of displaying a broad number of resolutions natively from 480p up to 1024p or 1600p. But, there will be size limits...

Let's start with which consoles it is for though.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I think you're replying to a spam bot.
Larrs888

Post by Larrs888 »

I am in a similar position and want a "good" monitor to play games on with my PS4 and retro setup via the Framemesiter. I want a good response rate but these are all limited to TN panels which is not something I am keen on. At work I use a 24" Iiyama and the colours are different form one corner to the next due to the horrible viewing angles and the position I sit in the office.

That said IPS monitors whilst having great colours and viewing angles have about 5-8 ms response times compared to 1ms on TN gaming monitors.

These are the two I'm considering but I really want to try both out in person to decide....

ASUS Gaming Monitor
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-90LM02V0- ... nitor&th=1

or

Dell Ultrasharp:
https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-ul ... ccessories
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

ZellSF wrote:I think you're replying to a spam bot.
:roll:
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
ZellSF wrote:I think you're replying to a spam bot.
:roll:
Not sure why you're rolling your eyes. When someone's replying to a spam bot it's a good idea to tell them so they don't in the future. It makes it harder for the mods to clean up as it makes the post (and account) seem legit when it isn't.
Larrs888 wrote:That said IPS monitors whilst having great colours and viewing angles have about 5-8 ms response times compared to 1ms on TN gaming monitors.
While TN panels are faster than IPS panels, the measured response times in manufacturers specifications are best ignored: it varies by manufacturer how they're measured. Better to look at independent reviews to figure out how much ghosting there is in a panel.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

ZellSF wrote:
Not sure why you're rolling your eyes. When someone's replying to a spam bot it's a good idea to tell them so they don't in the future.
Sorry, thought you were referring to me.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Personally, I think this forum should have a sticky thread, where they recommend gaming monitors. It's a big deal to shmuppers, and there's people here who know their stuff.

I'm not really thrilled with the other monitor threads on other gaming sites. We can take it to the next level. :wink:
juji82

Post by juji82 »

https://www.j-oled.com/eng/
wonder if they will be any good
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

juji82 wrote:https://www.j-oled.com/eng/
Looks like a Hospital kind of tool.. I am very sure that it will cost an arm and a leg.
The Future Is Now
juji82

Post by juji82 »

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:
juji82 wrote:https://www.j-oled.com/eng/
Looks like a Hospital kind of tool.. I am very sure that it will cost an arm and a leg.
They will make panels for gaming monitors afaik
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

You want BenQ/Zowie monitors then, low lag, high compatibility with many resolutions, a variety of inputs (including inputs and outputs for Audio), and some have plenty of adjustments and portrait mode.
Just a heads up, some monitors only support portrait mode clockwise, and some shmups, like Dodonpachi DOJ on the PS2, have only Tate mode for the opposite orientation.

They also have plenty of scaling options, including 1:1 pixel maping and you can resize it to achieve perfect 2x scaling on some sources :wink:

Also check this site:
https://displaylag.com/display-database/
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I'm planning on getting a new monitor soon too, but primarily for PC gaming. Getting tired of the FreeSync/G-Sync mess though: the price difference on Acer's upcoming FreeSync and G-Sync monitors is 400$.

That asks a lot of questions like "wouldn't putting 400$ more towards my next GPU upgrade do more for framerates than G-Sync?" and "can't I buy a pretty good FreeSync compatible GPU for 400$?".

It isn't that simple for me (running software that has compatibility issues with AMD, running software that runs at weird refresh rate), but I'm wondering how Nvidia intends to keep this up for much longer.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

G-Sync isn't about framerates, of course, so yes, put that money into a better GPU if that's the tradeoff as you see it. It is a shame that nVidia has been banking so heavily on a halo effect for pricing, but the market seems not to have been terribly happy with their last round of this with the inflated GeForce 2000 series pricing. It's also unfortunate that there is likely only minimal improvements to the G-Sync module in-panel, limited utility to it in OLED panels, and only so much leeway on pricing down the difference. I've no idea if the modules are going to get cheaper in the future, especially with 4K incoming.

All that said, perhaps you can save some money if you get a model from a few years ago: I've been happy with the 1440p Acer Predator xb271hu and a GeForce 960 but I'll be upgrading the GPU asap. It also is worth saying that a worrying number of games and programs don't seem to treat G-Sync properly, so there's still lots of games with tear that's hard or impossible to fix without developer attention. I've not found a simple solution for classic Half-Life (or at least Counter-Strike: Condition Zero's weird setup which allows v-sync but caps the framerate if you do) and many indie developers have no idea what to do either.

Hopefully Intel's upcoming GPU will have some grunt so the FreeSync side gets more competitive. Maybe AMD's next GPU will be good too.

@ evil ash: 1080p, 1440p, 4k?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

So we have a pretty interesting development:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/pr ... ors/specs/
Nvidia has started supporting select FreeSync monitors as "G-Sync compatible" , which should work on GTX 10-Series and RTX 20-Series.

Still no idea what Nvidia are doing, because Acer's currently releasing two monitors that I'm considering, the XB273K and the XV273K. The difference between them is FreeSync and G-Sync. And 400$. Nvidia has now announced the 400$ cheaper monitor to be G-Sync compatible. Aren't they sort of screwing over Acer by doing this? Who's going to buy the XB273K now?
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Wow, that is weird.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Well guess it was that or admitting with a straight face that G-Sync is some kind of overengineered overpriced scam...
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
orange808

Post by orange808 »

No doubt about gsync; it's a scam.

Disabling adaptive sync over Displayport proves that gsync isn't a real feature.

If gsync was a disruptive technology, nVidia wouldn't have disabled "simple" adaptive sync over Displayport, because the "wonderful/amazing technology" of gsync would naturally prove it's value--when gamers freely compared both individual options.

Obviously, nVidia knows that gsync couldn't win that battle, so they disabled it.

Proven scam.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Just the existence of FreeSync was proof enough that you don't need an expensive dedicated FPGA design to get variable refresh support from a monitor.
It's a simple design matter from the monitor's built-in board side and the gpu+drivers that makes it work, no sorcery that would justify doubling the price of things.
Heck I've even got it on mine which isn't FreeSync nor G-Sync branded.
I think the discussions where people reported successfully enabling it via CRU and other tweaks might ave motivated nVidia's decision.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Every time I look into monitors, the lowest lag ones are TNs. It's a little frustrating.
strayan

Post by strayan »

tongshadow wrote: They also have plenty of scaling options, including 1:1 pixel maping and you can resize it to achieve perfect 2x scaling on some sources :wink:
Are you suggesting they have an integer scaling setting?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

@ash, you still don't know the difference between response time and input lag? dude you've been talking monitors regularily with us for so many years, how come?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I'm looking forward to the 1/15 nVidia driver update. Rumor had it that adaptive sync will be restored.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Xyga wrote:@ash, you still don't know the difference between response time and input lag? dude you've been talking monitors regularily with us for so many years, how come?

I meant "input delay". Sorry...