PVM picture cutting out and high EMI

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Altar

PVM picture cutting out and high EMI

Post by Altar »

Hi guys! I am currently experiencing a strange issue with my PVM. My PVM just started to cut out and turn a bright blue just a couple days ago... I am able to get the picture to show up again either completely randomly or if I press on the front bezel of the monitor (very strange IMO). I have very little knowledge on the inner workings of CRTs.

Another issue which may be relevant or completely separate is that I have a dynamic microphone that I use for live streaming. When this mic gets anywhere close to the PVM there is a noticeable buzz that my pic picks up. This only occurs when the mic itself gets close to the PVM.

The buzz I can live with if if it's a normal occurrence for a PVM to emit an electromagnetic field such as that but I would really love to get some insight on what kind of problem I may be having in terms of the display cutting out (I hear this is the place to go for help on that).

Thanks so much for any assistance in advance.

https://youtu.be/95ihFU5VHJg
FoxMontage

Re: PVM picture cutting out and high EMI

Post by FoxMontage »

Hi there,
Dynamic mics have a voice-coil that is driven magnetically (the mic diaphragm moves a magnet up and down in a coiled wire, which induces a current a.k.a the signal). CRTs use a varying magnetic field to deflect the electron beams to change their position. As such, it's quite expected that your tv will cause an unwanted signal to be picked up by your mic. I used to notice this back in the day when I used to use a CRT for my bedroom studio setup. You'd have to turn the monitor off before you hit record every time for this reason. CRTs also wreak havoc with guitar pick-ups (which also operate on magnetic principles). My advice would be to keep your mic at a distance, or play around with the orientation with respect to the screen.

Sorry I can't offer any insight to what might be causing the the intermittent screen, I'd just be guessing. But since you can affect it with mechanical tampering, it suggests an intermittent connection. This could be as a result of any number of things such as loose wiring, improperly inserted breakout cards or other components, or bad solder joints.

Hopefully some body with experience with the inside of a PVM will have come across this problem before and be able to offer advice.

Remember, don't play around with the inside of a CRT until you know EXACTLY what you are doing.