The Super Famicom / Super NES Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
FinalBaton

Re: SNES!

Post by FinalBaton »

YoniArousement wrote:I heard the console versions of Super Street Fighter II didn't sell well enough to warrant Super Turbo getting ported to SNES or Genesis.
Ah. Just saw that you specified SSF2 here. I was talking about vanilla SF2.

Could be that, but I like Johnny2x4's theory. SSF2T/X hit the arcade in february 1994. By that point, the 3DO was already out in NA and a month away from being released in JP, the Saturn would be released november of that year in JP and the Playstation a few weeks after that.

So when comes time to port your new game from a wildly popular franchise that is graphically demanding to boot, do you go with older hardware? or with new, more powerful hardware that just came out and that is announced to hit the shelves within a year?

Maybe it's a mix of both

-----------------------

Gotta say tough, I like Street Fighter II Turbo : Hyper Fightin' on the SNES for what it is. :oops: It's a port that I find enjoyable. And of course I love SSF2X on Dreamcast
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Xyga

Re: The Super Famicom / Super NES Thread

Post by Xyga »

It's the eternal debate, though despite the bad voice samples I still like HF more on the MD because of the music and some minor details that bring it a tiny bit closer to the feel of the arcade, also the Sega 6btn pad was better for it, iirc some chains were flat out impossible using the SNES pad.
I have the 'Plus jp release with the black dude in the intro, paid 6 zeni for it, will never let it go.

But Super is unquestionably superior on the SNES just for looking and sounding much better (both ports play alright though and afaik), I still can't believe they've managed to ruin the MD port with such a huge cartridge.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yeah it's as classic a debate as they come , lol. They both(HF ports) have their pros and cons. Genesis 6 button pad is better for this game, I 100% agree with that. Not only does the 6 face-buttons layout itself is better, but Sega happened to make very good controllers too. MD version handles very nicely, arguably a bit better. A lot of people prefer the MD version, with good reasons.

SNES music is more muffled but I've always had a thing for that port's sound effect when you connect a hit, and when characters fall down. Man, that's br00tal... totally hits like a ton o' bricks. So damn satisfying, especially when you kick your opponent of drop him. BBRAP!!! that's fucking great stuff :mrgreen:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
TransatlanticFoe

Re: Super Street Fighter II Sales

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

YoniArousement wrote:According to VGChartz, SSFII on SNES and Genesis must have sold better in Japan. Other people say it costed too much money to produce copies of 16-bit SSFII, especially the Genesis version. Some Genesis emulators (such as the Steam Sega Collection's Simple Launcher) might not even support SSFII because of its large size. Claw's yodel in particular sounds terrible in the Genesis version, and someone even made a patch for both CE and SSFII that improves the quality of the PCM samples, and also a patch for Genesis SSFII that makes the color palettes closer to the arcade.

For some reason, the music between the JP and US/EU versions of SNES Super Street Fighter II sound different. I prefer the Japanese SFC soundtrack, because the Western SNES soundtrack uses too much of that guitar heard in Mega Man X2, like the Intro Stage and Morph Moth's stage. Ken's unique throw voice was changed, and Dhalsim's KO cry had its pitch lowered. Announcer's voice clips for saying the characters' names were added/used in the Western SNES version, whereas SFC SSFII just says "You Win" even in 2-player matches.
PAL SNES Suoer Street Fighter II also misses voice clips for characters and does "you win" even in vs. mode.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I read somewhere that one of the PAL SNES SFII versions was also poorly optimized and had borders?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Well most PAL versions of games in general are slower with top+bottom borders, on almost every pre-HD-era system.
Those optimized for 50Hz correcting both speed and aspect were few.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I don't think I've played a PAL 50 game pre-32 bit that didn't have borders - my PAL Saturn does full screen but it's second hand so might have a mod. Most of the time they corrected the music speed but the games would often be untouched. I don't recall PAL Cybernator being slower than Valken so I'm sure they did both sometimes.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah if the game isn't optimized and has borders, that's the standard and preferable on a SNES. Just switch your console to 60hz, and everything's fine :)
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Has anyone played Heracles no Eikou III and/or IV, and could vouch if they are worth playing? Or should I just jump straight to V on the DS?
For those not in the known, it's a RPG series based on Greek mythology by Data East. I and II are on the FC, III and IV on SFC, and Paon Corporation made V on the DS, which was localized in 2010 as Glory of Heracles. There is also a GB game, don't know how it fits in the series.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I got the DS game recently as it's the only one available in English (I think it's more of a homage to the original games than a real sequel?). I have yet to play it, but I'm curious to hear what you think about whatever you end up playing.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Heard very little from people who have actually played IV (before the translation so in JP) but it's supposed to be massive, rich, deep, the 16~32bit era kind of JRPG we wish we had here when it mattered.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Xyga wrote:Heard very little from people who have actually played IV (before the translation so in JP) but it's supposed to be massive, rich, deep, the 16~32bit era kind of JRPG we wish we had here when it mattered.
That sounds too good to be true, lol. I guess I will try them with the patches.
andsuchisdeath

Post by andsuchisdeath »

Hey BIL, what are your thoughts on Nosferatu, if any?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Limited for now, unfortunately. Stylistically it made a really strong impression - rad creepy/cool OST, and a similarly novel mixup of 80s karate badass VS 1920s movie monsters. The boxart is to die for, too. As for the game itself, I thought it seemed promising in its Prince of Persia-esque way, but I shelved it after clearing the first stage (and enjoying that memorable intermission screen, with the pan across a sumptuous hall to a beckoning ghoul). Along with Septentrion, it's one of those "cinematic platformers" I mean to revisit sometime. :smile:

Have you played it much? IIRC, zinger thought it was flawed but very likeable regardless, which has kept it on my shortlist over the intervening years.
andsuchisdeath

Post by andsuchisdeath »

Style wise, it's left a strong impression on me too.

It seems to embody a rather unique combination of traits. Prince of Persia-style design/physics..yet Japanese developed..attacks/combos that belong in a beltscroller...relatively linear design...timed sections of stages. There's an emphasis on combat as well a sense of urgency I'd imagine isn't found in many other "Prince of Persia" styled platformers.

Yes,the intermission screens are very impressive. The game has a lot of atmosphere...
Probably one of my favorite continue screens ever...

I've only recently begun playing it. I can reach the middle of stage 3 so far. I'm curious about these flaws zinger has mentioned.
Maybe they'll become apparent to me with more playing.

EDIT: I'm curious as to what games this team had worked on in the past. I know next to nothing about in-house SETA and always saw them as just a publisher.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Sumez wrote:I got the DS game recently as it's the only one available in English (I think it's more of a homage to the original games than a real sequel?). I have yet to play it, but I'm curious to hear what you think about whatever you end up playing.
Yeah, I'll try to post a decent ranting of both games in the near future. :)
Your post actually reminded me that I played a bit of GoH on DS sometime in 2011, but the terrible graphics kinda made me not wanting to play it (pixelated bad models with ugly black outlines), so I forgot about it! :lol:
I do remember the music was fine (world map music is the same from III, by the way), and the battle system was slightly interesting. If I can find a patch or Action Replay cheats to remove the outlines or something, I might go back to it.
About Paon Corporation, it's made of former Data East staff, they have the rights for the Heracles series and probably other Data East properties. The scenario writer for V also wrote the scenario for III. Some searching in Gamefaqs shows they published Chelnov (Atomic Runner), Heracles III and IV, as well as the GB game, for Wii VC between 2007-2011.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Thanks for bringing the Heracles no Eikou games to our attention. Just looked up some gameplay of the SFC games and it looks pretty interesting. I love my 16-bit rpgs, so I'll be keeping a close eye on this discussion

Please pretend that I'm the bird in this pic, and that this discussion is the lady
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

I played a bit of Heracles III, until I got the first party member. Some quick notes, then:

The story is simple, but intriguing: you start as a amnesiac immortal, and try to find out who you really are. I believe other party members are the same;
The music so far is nicely composed, nothing grand;
The graphics aren't all that good, but I guess I'm spoiled by Squaresoft's works on the console. :lol: ;
The battle interface is like DQ, for the most part, but the battle system is more interesting. You can visit temples and bathe in pools inside to "unlock" skills, which seem to become available as you level up. Not sure if you can "unlock" them for all party members yet. Each character is also prolific with certain weapon types, but there seem to be people that can offer to teach you other types of weapon. For example, there was an old man that thought Fists to the MC, who is prolific in Swords.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

If I were to only buy one Rockman title for the Super Famicom which one would it be?

If someone could please put them in order of goodness that would be great... Thank you.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

FOOL!

it's the forbidden question
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

X2
BIL

Post by BIL »

X1 is excellent, representative and marginally easier to get in good nick than X2/X3/Rockman & Forte, so as a fellow neophyte to the SFC entries I think it'd sort you out Richie. I never really looked into Rockman 7 because tragically, OG series Rockmans make my wiener soft and floppy like cheese and it wasn't quick to defy past form.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Get all of X1, 2 and 3 in any order.

You can safely stay away from both 7 and Rockman & Forte, neither are representative of the OG series, which really should have made BIL's trout stout and proud.
Also, none of the post-SFC X games are any good, with the weird exception of X4 which is actually really good.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yo I liked Forte's gun shooting, I never seen a Rockman bust a cap like that straight off the shelf :o Usually I have to kill GENOCIDE_BADGER or something first! However I couldn't nab it up like X2+3 just yet. On the maybe list, it gets both love and hate from chaps I regard like yourself! Image

7 hit me with the most bed-shitting unskippable right from the off and I couldn't stand the pain. Speaking of, X5, haha oh wow, shut the fuck up and let me enjoy my videogame you nattering fanny - wait. Is X5 a stealth relationship simulator? Is this art gaming?

I couldn't help loving X6's criminally bent stage/boss design. I have a fondness for bent bastard things. Image
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I didn't even have the patience for X6 after the travesty of X5. I have no idea how Capcom could fuck up such an excellent series so effeciently in such a short time.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Ok, so which Rockman is the most memorable and which one has the best graphics? Do the 32 bit iterations add anything to the mix?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
BIL

Post by BIL »

X4 plays smooth, still looks great, and sounds (if you dig your synthy anthemic 80s metal) fucking orgasmic. Besides the speedy dash/shoot X game, it also canonises Zero's saber action, which makes it play damn near like a fully-fledged ninja action game. You won't go wrong with that one.

BET ON IT YOU FUCK (・`W´・)

Naw for real get it. I would. I did!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

X4 is fucking godly with Zero :O

jump-dash at enemies and slice them. approach 'em from above (ice downtrust))and below(fire dragon punch). There's even a few combos (dash+Shippuuga+normal attackx3, essential basic approach combo. Or changing the direction you face, twice, whilst doing a neutral Kuuenbu : once while going up and once whilst going down. And more. Oh and dashing makes you pass under bullets. Awesome stuff to integrate into combat and very fun).

This is one of the games that made the biggest impact on me, ever. So I'm biased af. But it impressed me for a reason, eh? :O
The game controls so smooth yet snappy. The level design is good. I even love the animu cut-scenes : apart from the voice-acting, they're cool af. (it helps that these character designs are fucking great to begin with. I can't describe just how impressed teenage/young adult Baton was by these. Cool hand-drawn animu cutscenes? in a mega man game? *head explodes*).
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

neorichieb1971 wrote:If I were to only buy one Rockman title for the Super Famicom which one would it be?

If someone could please put them in order of goodness that would be great... Thank you.
X1 is the best, but the other two X games are also good.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I have lots of nice things to say about X4, but I'm saving it for the Mega Man thread :D
However, I'm glad to see other people like it too, as it does feel like quite a departure from the original three titles.