Zero Gunner 2, Sengoku, Gunbird & Strikers on Switch!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Pointman

Re: Zero Gunner 2, Sengoku, Gunbird & Strikers on Switch!

Post by Pointman »

xxx1993 wrote:For Natsuki, I want proof that it's a sequel to Ginga Force, that the story takes place after the events of that game. If not, then it's not worth it to me.
Why should the story be so important to make or break a shoot 'em up? I can't say I've ever needed to know the story behind an arcade game to fully like it. I noticed that you got particularly excited about the story in Raiden V, the story in that game is totally intrusive and actually spoils it. I wish there was a way to turn off the story text.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Kiken wrote:I just tried to update my copy and I'm still on version 1.0.0. When is this update supposed to drop?
From Elixir on twitter (he no longer posts here anymore ? we miss you Gal)

Code: Select all

New update for Zerodiv's "Zero Gunner 2-" Switch port: 
- Added key config 
- New option to enable/disable vibration 
- New turning speed to match arcade ver 
- New bullet visibility 
- Fixed unwarranted score inflation 
- Fixed invisible bullets post-continues
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

There's actually a reason why I'm one of the only people who didn't mind the story in Raiden V. It's mainly because the characters are talking right at me. They even refer to me as "Raiden".
Pointman

Post by Pointman »

xxx1993 wrote:There's actually a reason why I'm one of the only people who didn't mind the story in Raiden V. It's mainly because the characters are talking right at me. They even refer to me as "Raiden".
Fair enough but does that breaking of the fourth wall make you more invested in the story? I had a hard time putting a face to any discernible enemy, outside of an armoured last boss, to feel the pull of a narrative. I just don't think shoot 'em up's have that much of a narrative heft to only be good for a story. So by your reasoning even if Natsuki Chronicles has a fantastic design, innovative gameplay, exciting set pieces, etc, you wouldn't bother with it if it wasn't a direct story sequel to Ginga Force? That's crazy. I love everything about Under Defeat and yet I only found out about the story the other day. Knowing the story didn't fill a void that would make the game better, it's just there to provide context. That's it. More power to you if the story to these games mean something but you seem to be missing out on great titles just for the sake of a few lines of context.

But anyway I digress, Switch needs Strikers 1999 :D
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I don’t think they’re actually breaking the fourth wall, they really are talking to me because I am the Raiden pilot.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Pointman wrote:I wish there was a way to turn off the story text.
You can -- hitting R2 turns it on and off.
YoniArousement

How to buy Japanese Cards

Post by YoniArousement »

steveovig wrote:So what exactly is the easiest way to buy Gunbird as someone living in North America? It isn't just as easy as going directly through another region's eShop and putting in credit card info, is it?
I purchase my Japanese PSN and eShop cards from Sea Gamer Mall. It's quite easy to purchase codes from there. Then you can enter the code at the eShop under a Japanese account.
Pointman

Post by Pointman »

Obscura wrote:
Pointman wrote:I wish there was a way to turn off the story text.
You can -- hitting R2 turns it on and off.
Thumbs up for that man, that’ll improve the game no end.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Not played this since I got rid of my DC copy about a decade ago (don't even want to check what stupid price that went for compared to what it goes for now), but even I can tell there are some pretty big differences (although I'm not sure where the thing about not being able to touch enemies came from?). That said, it feels pretty churlish to complain at seven quid, it may not be a perfect port but it's still playable enough to pass muster. Bargain.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
apatheticTurd

Post by apatheticTurd »

Anyone who's been able to download the update can determine if they fixed the issue with boss health?
Wonderbanana

Post by Wonderbanana »

apatheticTurd wrote:Anyone who's been able to download the update can determine if they fixed the issue with boss health?
Not sure if I've got the update (just played) but boss and stage health still fucked for me.

Also played with Hokum for a bit then switched to Apache - the power ups and large energy icons became invisible.
Last edited by Wonderbanana on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wonderbanana

Post by Wonderbanana »

Just checked, says my game is up to date. So yeah, boss health and difficulty still fucked.

Was lucky enough to own the Naomi version of this so I know the game pretty well.

Edii: Hmmm still says v1.00 so maybe patch not live yet.
PAULINK

Post by PAULINK »

Are they ever going to bring back gunbird 2 on the north american eshop? I'd really prefer to purchase it there, it's been over a month since it's been taken down but is still up in other regions...

I guess I can purchase a 1000 yen card and buy it on my Japanese account but it's weird we haven't got any confirmation on whether or not they're attempting to bring this back...
YoniArousement

Gunbird

Post by YoniArousement »

You mean Gunbird 1. The 2nd game hasn't been ported to the Switch yet. I still don't see ample evidence that there's an exploit in the Switch release. I thought of the reasons must have been Yuan-Nang's nipples being visible during a single animation frame in the intro.
PAULINK

Re: Gunbird

Post by PAULINK »

yeah I meant gunbird 1, it's just really irritating that we never got any explanation on why it was taken down, but it's still up in other regions. Maybe there's some weird licensing issue?
BrianC

Re: Gunbird

Post by BrianC »

PAULINK wrote:yeah I meant gunbird 1, it's just really irritating that we never got any explanation on why it was taken down, but it's still up in other regions. Maybe there's some weird licensing issue?
We got an explanation (supposedly due to an exploit in debugger). Hmmm, from searching around, it seems the "exploit" info was speculation that was taken as fact from some news sites. NoA is very frustrating. I created a JP account (which is easier than PS4 and doesn't require an address) and used eShop credit from Play-Asia (though the place mentioned in that other post is slightly cheaper. PA does often have sales on credit, though). The good thing is that the game still plays in English when bought from the JP eShop and shows up as purchased on NoA's page for the game.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Finally got around to picking up ZG2- now that (most of) the technical issues at least are sorted out

Going back and forth between this and my DC copy of ZG2, ZG2- is definitely much easier and bosses have much less health, even on Arcade difficulty setting, but it's still a fun romp to have, especially on the go for 8 bucks.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

If you d/l'ed Zero Gunner 2 off of the USA region Nintendo eShop site recently, another update will have it updated to version 1.01. I checked my version and it's the latest version at v1.01 indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Just downloaded the patch and played a couple of credits.

The disappearing enemies/items/bullets glitch seems to have been fixed. The stupid alpha blending on all bullets seems to have been toned down greatly (most bullets are now solid colours). Damage output from the copters seems to be even higher than before! The Hokum's homing missiles do absolutely INSANE damage! Most bosses were getting straight-up slaughtered when I triggered the special weapon. Scoring is still over-inflated (1.7+ million after the second flying merry-go-round core). Still no score-based extend. Maneuvering around the turn-marker actually feels even more sensitive than before. The game is still far easier than the DC/NAOMI original.
CRP

Post by CRP »

The Japanese eShop now confirms that Samurai Aces is due out next week
http://nintendoeverything.com/arcade-ti ... next-week/
YoniArousement

Sengoku Ace, Sol Divide and Taisen Hot Gimmick

Post by YoniArousement »

I appreciate Zerodiv bringing the Psikyo games to the Switch. I tried Sol Divide earlier this month and I couldn't get into it, it might be just me but the melee didn't feel satisfying. Sol Divide has the Japanese restart system in later stages, even if the region dipswitch is set to World.
Narroo

Post by Narroo »

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how well visually Gunbird and Zero Gunner hold up on the Switch? I have a Dreamcast and Saturn with a PVM monitor, so I could play them on a CRT at the cost of portability. But, old games tend to look pretty rough on LCD's without good filters.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Gunbird is back up on the NA eShop and even in the Recent Release section.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

I just No Missed ZG2- on Arcade difficulty with the Hokum. There is no second loop. Once the first loop ends, the game shows the boss models along with your completion time and score for each stage... you're then greeted by a large, green THE END followed by GAME OVER. Type in your initials. At the high score screen, the game listed my run as a 1-All. Also, there are no credits (nobody wanted their name attached to this mess).

So, what I suspect happened was that ZeroDiv's team was no good at the game so they set a permanent flag somewhere to have the game default to Easy or Very Easy (possibly even Child/Monkey) regardless of difficulty chosen so they could play-test and debug all the stages without too much hassle. Problem is, they never unchecked the flag... so the game remains at some ridiculously easy difficulty regardless.

As an aside, I managed to finally single credit the first loop of the original DC rev on Arcade difficulty this evening (that's been a long time coming).
Narroo

Post by Narroo »

Hm, so is there a good resource on the mechanics in Gunbird, such as second loop conditions, etc?
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Still waiting on Striker 1999 and Dragon Blaze to be announced.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Narroo wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone know how well visually Gunbird and Zero Gunner hold up on the Switch? I have a Dreamcast and Saturn with a PVM monitor, so I could play them on a CRT at the cost of portability. But, old games tend to look pretty rough on LCD's without good filters.
There is a filter for both Switch ports of Gunbird and Zero Gunner 2. The ZG2 port on the Switch has a filter that makes the Switch's LCD screen appear like an old-school CRT monitor setup -- actually you have three user options to choose from.

I like how there is a proper tate/vertical screen orientation mode to play the Switch ports of Gunbird, Strikers 1945 & Strikers 1945 II. So if you have a PC LCD-based monitor with HDMI input + a rotatable VESA compliant monitor stand, it's doable to play the aforementioned Switch STG ports in their original arcade "tate" format if so desired. How cool is that?

I suppose if you were to disable the built-in filters and use an optional SLG with HDMI support, it's possible to add simulated scanlines in going with the 720p or 1080p PC monitor display route.

In all, the Switch port of Gunbird is a mere 93mb d/l whereas the Switch port of ZG2 is a 176mb d/l at best (quite tiny files, size-wise, with the Switch's internal 32Gb of storage space -- upgradeable to a whopping 2TB with an optional micro SDHC memory card setup). I still haven't seen such a 1TB micro SDHC card released or even manufactured as of yet (but that day will eventually be coming down the road).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoniArousement

No 2nd Loop?

Post by YoniArousement »

Gunbird's description on the American eShop page makes it sound like they brought back the 2nd loop. "Round 2"? The game would just dump me to the screen showing the Kanji that normally appears in the 2nd loop after showing the 1st loop's ending. I'd like to see a screenshot showing the 2nd loop in the Switch release.
Kiken

Re: No 2nd Loop?

Post by Kiken »

YoniArousement wrote:Gunbird's description on the American eShop page makes it sound like they brought back the 2nd loop. "Round 2"? The game would just dump me to the screen showing the Kanji that normally appears in the 2nd loop after showing the 1st loop's ending. I'd like to see a screenshot showing the 2nd loop in the Switch release.
I just single credited loop 1 earlier and it went straight into the second loop after I watched the initial ending sequence that I selected (just like on the Saturn version). What difficulty are you playing on? Level 5 or higher should allow entrance to loop 2 (I'm pretty sure you can even credit feed and trigger it).
YoniArousement

Gunbird

Post by YoniArousement »

The problem was that I set it on Level 1.