Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Thamiel

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by Thamiel »

JVS definitely uses USB ports, just not the wiring/protocol. Not really sure it's a fair comparison though, JVS isn't really consumer hardware.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Thamiel wrote:JVS definitely uses USB ports, just not the wiring/protocol. Not really sure it's a fair comparison though, JVS isn't really consumer hardware.
Don't think the SSD3 is also really consumer HW :mrgreen:
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Did the JVS come with said cable?? Lol
Thamiel

Post by Thamiel »

You cheeky fuckers haha.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
JBC

Post by JBC »

azmun wrote:Has anyone tried using HD Retrovision's component cables with this device and/or in combination with OSSC? Wondering if you'll encounter similar issues as these various SCART cables.
Sorry to quote you without an answer but I'm also wondering about this. Has anyone tried the HD Retrovision cable yet?

I got my order in pretty quick on day 1 but my unit still hasn't shipped. I'm in no hurry & am kinda hoping it's because they're working out some kinks in the video issue.
Godzilla was an inside job
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

8BA wrote:
azmun wrote:Has anyone tried using HD Retrovision's component cables with this device and/or in combination with OSSC? Wondering if you'll encounter similar issues as these various SCART cables.
Sorry to quote you without an answer but I'm also wondering about this. Has anyone tried the HD Retrovision cable yet?
A guy over on the NG forums had this to say:
I just hooked by SD3 and played a few games. I'm running it on a SD Wega set using HD Retrovision component cables.

First of all, the sound comparison. Audio from the SD3 is actually slightly louder than the same audio played through my IFUs audio out. It sounds good. I heard no hum or distortion.

The HD Retrovision cable works great with it. Setting the brightness switch to low is the correct position for this. I do see some noise in darker solid colors, it's pretty minor but it is there. If we get this fixed then it will look better than my RGB mod going through my converter.
RevQuixo

Post by RevQuixo »

FYI:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... -Statement

TL:DR

Fix is coming. Production of new boards needed.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Awesome.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

There we go guys. That is a really professional response and compromise from the neosd team. I will send mine along for the upgrade when the new pcb is ready.
Maybe some of the mudflingers will have a little remorse for how they behaved. This thread was unbelievable at times.
gojira54

Post by gojira54 »

Likewise, a great response, respect due!
JBC

Post by JBC »

Ah, excellent. Thanks for the response you guys & thanks to NeoSD/Terraonion for going the extra mile to ship a quality product.
Godzilla was an inside job
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Good to hear and kudos to the replacement decision. Quite professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
loukey

Post by loukey »

Great to read the plan. Looking forward to this again! :)
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Last edited by Arasoi on Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

btw if you NeoSD folks need an OSSC to test with I'm happy to donate one from the next batch, due in any day now.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

So how does the Arcade CD-Rom2 shmup of Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire fare/play on the Super SD System 3? Does it load up faster than with a typical PCE Duo-RX setup (especially with the cool opening intro sequence)?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Well I never played it on original hardware but it works pretty sweet on my Super SD.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

I ordered mine on dec 10. I would be glad to take a "defective" board if I could get it. I'd rather get it now and do any repairs needed myself then wait for a hardware revision. I'd email T.O. but I doubt they need any more emails to read through.
toaks

Post by toaks »

neozeed wrote:I ordered mine on dec 10. I would be glad to take a "defective" board if I could get it. I'd rather get it now and do any repairs needed myself then wait for a hardware revision. I'd email T.O. but I doubt they need any more emails to read through.
They have said that repairs would not be possible on the old boards due to the board being 4 layers, and they also don't want two versions of the boards out in the wild.
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

toaks wrote:
neozeed wrote:I ordered mine on dec 10. I would be glad to take a "defective" board if I could get it. I'd rather get it now and do any repairs needed myself then wait for a hardware revision. I'd email T.O. but I doubt they need any more emails to read through.
They have said that repairs would not be possible on the old boards due to the board being 4 layers, and they also don't want two versions of the boards out in the wild.

Ahh, 4 layers, nevermind. I sometimes forget what year it is :|
crabfists

Post by crabfists »

Been lurking and following this thread with interest. I've been looking for a solid state solution to play PC Engine CD games for a long time now. As I play via RGB on a PVM monitor the quality of the RGB output is very important to me. If the RGB problems get sorted out I definitely will be buying one of these. :)
toaks

Post by toaks »

crabfists wrote:Been lurking and following this thread with interest. I've been looking for a solid state solution to play PC Engine CD games for a long time now. As I play via RGB on a PVM monitor the quality of the RGB output is very important to me. If the RGB problems get sorted out I definitely will be buying one of these. :)
The problem has been sorted already. They redesigned the PCB to correct the problems.
amontre

Post by amontre »

Mine was ordered on 27th Dec, long before the 1st batch. It hasn't shipped yet but hopefully, it will be the new fixed version.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

It will be, they are not sending anymore of the old version
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Hmm..I haven't been really keeping up with this.

Can you just get this, and run CD games off of it, and not mess around with your current RGB modding? I already have my systems modded, so unless it looks "oh my gawd" better, I'd probably just leave it alone.
Seems like there's some problems with that, from what I gather from skimming this thread.

How's the compatibility?
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Hmm..I haven't been really keeping up with this.

Can you just get this, and run CD games off of it, and not mess around with your current RGB modding? I already have my systems modded, so unless it looks "oh my gawd" better, I'd probably just leave it alone.
Seems like there's some problems with that, from what I gather from skimming this thread.

How's the compatibility?
You can run CD and cart games off of it. It offers a new RGB output port on device itself. You can keep your current video output, if you wish, but you'd need to pull audio off of the device (since it is emulating the CD audio).

There have been some reports of compatibility issues. The best advice we've seen is to turn off the "return to SSD3 main menu" option, which adds a few opcodes into the VBlank to check for a button combo being held. There will likely be a firmware update or two to spot-fix specific games.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

SavagePencil wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:Hmm..I haven't been really keeping up with this.

How's the compatibility?
You can run CD and cart games off of it. It offers a new RGB output port on device itself. You can keep your current video output, if you wish, but you'd need to pull audio off of the device (since it is emulating the CD audio).

There have been some reports of compatibility issues. The best advice we've seen is to turn off the "return to SSD3 main menu" option, which adds a few opcodes into the VBlank to check for a button combo being held. There will likely be a firmware update or two to spot-fix specific games.
OK, sounds interesting. I'll probably give it a couple of months for people to find and work out the kinks. Not so great to be an early adopter, sometimes.
How is the video quality? I know there have been problems, but has it been fixed? If so, about how good is it?

This seems like a pretty wild upgrade. It seems to do everything.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

evil_ash_xero wrote: OK, sounds interesting. I'll probably give it a couple of months for people to find and work out the kinks. Not so great to be an early adopter, sometimes.
How is the video quality? I know there have been problems, but has it been fixed? If so, about how good is it?

A fix, with input from knowledgable external parties, has been declared but to my knowledge no one has posted a side-by-side comparison. The fix will require scrapping the old boards and issuing a hardware revision. By all accounts, they have identified the root cause(s) and this should take care of the issues.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

SavagePencil wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote: OK, sounds interesting. I'll probably give it a couple of months for people to find and work out the kinks. Not so great to be an early adopter, sometimes.

A fix, with input from knowledgable external parties, has been declared but to my knowledge no one has posted a side-by-side comparison. The fix will require scrapping the old boards and issuing a hardware revision. By all accounts, they have identified the root cause(s) and this should take care of the issues.
I figure they will. But it seems best to wait. It does sound like a tremendous device (when it starts working correctly).
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

All the pics and vids of this show a device that hooks onto the back of a standard PC Engine.

How would you go about hooking this up to a PC Engine Duo or Duo R? In terms of where it is at, on the machine.