NEC Multisync XM37 doesn't support 15khz?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
oodalumps

NEC Multisync XM37 doesn't support 15khz?

Post by oodalumps »

I've been struggling to get my NEC XM37 (not the plus model) to take RGB from old consoles for a few months now. Despite most sources saying that it can do 15khz, I've come to the conclusion that it just can't do it.
It will display an image from s-video and composite, but there is some post-processing (upscaling?) that gets rid of the scanlines.
there is no picture over both BNC and VGA connection.

The thing is, I used to get somewhat of a picture from my SNES. When I first tried RGB on it, the picture was slightly garbled during very dark scenes and nonexistent during light scenes. I assumed that the problem was composite video for sync, so I put a LM1881 into the cable. Since then, I haven't gotten any picture from 15khz signals, with or without the chip.

Quick list of stuff that works/doesn't work:
O: Wii component -> VGA 480p
X: Wii component -> VGA 480i
O: SNES S-video
X: SNES Scart -> BNC
O: Laptop VGA 1024 x 768
O: Dreamcast VGA (and -> BNC) 480p

Does anybody have this monitor and has gotten 15khz to work on it? Am I doing something stupid that I'm not noticing?
If it really doesn't support 15khz, what do you guys recommend I do with it?

The manual for the XM37+ seems somewhat misleading.
ryu

Re: NEC Multisync XM37 doesn't support 15khz?

Post by ryu »

i heard that only the xm37+ can sync 15khz rgb. the normal model can't
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
kukrapok

Post by kukrapok »

Sorry for exhuming such an old thread but I found an XM37 for sale and I read some contradicting statements about the monitor being able to display 15khz signals or not.
Over at circuit-board.de I read that a US guy owning both the XM37 and XM37Plus confirmed the XM37 handles 15khz too...
Anyone know for sure? I don't want to keep the seller waiting as he's got other potential buyers for the unit.
I've opened a thread about this on the crt gaming section on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... lus_15khz/

Thanks!
Last edited by kukrapok on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryu

Post by ryu »

kukrapok wrote:Sorry for exhuming such an old thread but I found an XM37 for sale and I read some contradicting statements about the monitor being able to display 15khz signals or not.
Over at circuit-board.de I read that an US guy owning both the XM37 and XM37Plus confirmed the XM37 handles 15khz too...
Anyone know for sure? I don't want to keep the seller waiting as he's got other potential buyers for the unit.

Thanks!
Is the seller far away? If not you might wanna ask him if you can check whether your equipment works on it before sealing the deal.
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
kukrapok

Post by kukrapok »

Sadly he's too far away and I don't feel like taking a 12hrs drive just to go there and test it.
I can't seem to find the manual for the XM37, all I found is the one covering the XP37+/XM37+ but from what I understood the XM37 and XM37+ are basically the same beast (XM37+ can reach higher frequencies but that's it?)
It's weird that OP's monitor appeared to work at first then crapped out after using a sync stripper and decided not to work again :/ Maybe the DIP switches at the back of the monitor were set to the wrong type of sync.
Where had you heard of the XM37 not accepting 15khz? I really can't find anything about all this except this topic and two vague contradictory answers on a german arcade forum
This is frustrating.
ryu

Post by ryu »

kukrapok wrote:Where had you heard of the XM37 not accepting 15khz?
http://www.arcadeinfo.de/showthread.php ... post123678

As excited as it sounds to play games on such a beast, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. These monitors weren't produced for as long as some Sony models, so you can expect them all to be due for repairs now or in the near future.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

ryu wrote:

As excited as it sounds to play games on such a beast, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. These monitors weren't produced for as long as some Sony models, so you can expect them all to be due for repairs now or in the near future.
He is just confirming for xp37 and xp37+. nothing regarding the xm37
ryu

Post by ryu »

svensonson wrote:
ryu wrote:

He is just confirming for xp37 and xp37+. nothing regarding the xm37
oh crap. sorry for the mixup. :oops:
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

@ELabit can confirm if it does work or not. I think he still has one in use.
xga

Post by xga »

kukrapok wrote:Sorry for exhuming such an old thread but I found an XM37 for sale and I read some contradicting statements about the monitor being able to display 15khz signals or not.
Over at circuit-board.de I read that a US guy owning both the XM37 and XM37Plus confirmed the XM37 handles 15khz too...

Thanks!
Can you confirm the exact full number of the XM monitor? There is a sticker on the back shell of the monitor, with a four digit number. There are several variants of the XM / XP 37" monitors of which some will not do 15KHz.
Last edited by xga on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

xga wrote:

Thanks!
Can you confirm the exact full number of the XM monitor? This is on a sticker on the back shell of the monitor, with a four digit number. There are several variants of the XM / XP 37" monitors of which some will not do 15KHz.
the Nec XM37 has the model number XM3750
Last edited by svensonson on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kukrapok

Post by kukrapok »

Anyway I’m afraid the XM37 wouldn’t work if the XP37 doesn’t.
The exact model number I'm looking to grab is an XM3750G(A)
Last edited by kukrapok on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Yeah i thought all NEC multisync presentation monitors could do 15khz. You just need to use a sync cleaner.
kukrapok

Post by kukrapok »

It's what I was thinking too :-(
I pm'd Elabit, hopefully he owns the non-plus version and can confirm if it works or not.