Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
loukey

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by loukey »

Neodev wrote:BTW, anyone wanting to be on the same list, just let me know.

I am open to refund anyone not feeling confident about getting a solution.

Thanks
I believe you will get this sorted out, but am curious about the time frame. Are you still shipping units while working this out? I ordered mine on the 13th so I expect it will be a while before mine would ship anyways, but would you expect the solution prior to shipping that days out?

Thanks
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Fudoh wrote:despite any hiccups I can't wait to get it.
Same here :)
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
Rot

Post by Rot »

Interesting read...

xROTx
LDigital

Super SD System 3

Post by LDigital »

Just had a freeze up

Game - Sylphia
Type - CD-ROM
4th level boss. Game froze but music continued to stream. A bit like the game was paused but not able to resume

Holding start and select allowed me to get back to main menu

I am also sometimes getting audio pops on streaming content or music I have videoed an example. It sounds like when a cd is slightly scratched

Game in video is Excile

https://youtu.be/lPMD87gWKCY
chadti99

Post by chadti99 »

LDigital wrote:Just had a freeze up

Game - Sylphia
Type - CD-ROM
4th level boss. Game froze but music continued to stream. A bit like the game was paused but not able to resume

Holding start and select allowed me to get back to main menu

Try disabling the in-game trigger and have another run at it. The in-game trigger can cause issues.

I'll try to make it to the same point in the game myself to see if I can duplicate the problem.
chadti99

Post by chadti99 »

I am also sometimes getting audio pops on streaming content or music I have videoed an example. It sounds like when a cd is slightly scratched

Game in video is Excile

Japanese or US release?
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

It’s the USA release

Something I just tested that may help diagnose. The popping issues only seem to occur when using the system reset and changing games. If I turn the system completely off and then play the same game, the audio clears
chadti99

Post by chadti99 »

LDigital wrote:It’s the USA release

Something I just tested that may help diagnose. The popping issues only seem to occur when using the system reset and changing games. If I turn the system completely off and then play the same game, the audio clears
Great find! It's probably just an issue with the in-game trigger(Menu). I'm sure later firmware releases will improve compatibility.

*Confirmed no popping in the audio on the intro for Exile with the in-game trigger disabled.*

-Chad
broken

Post by broken »

Yeah, that in-game trigger is currently broken. I wouldn't use it or even have it enabled.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
chadti99

Post by chadti99 »

Game - Sylphia
Type - CD-ROM

Just made it to Stage 5 of Sylphia without issues! Some really cool boss battles in Sylphia, if only the soundtrack was more like LoT, a bit too mellow for all the action lol.

*Update, I'm all the way to Stage 8 and I think I'm at the final boss, without any issues. Would be awesome if the SSDS3 supported save states, I gotta get going soon lol.*
pixeljunkie

Post by pixeljunkie »

Some good info in here - but mostly bitching.

You guys do realize what early adopting entails, right? It's exactly what's happening. Early adopters always have to "deal" with the hiccups of something new. I'm too excited about it. I know this will get figured out. Just stoked to get mine and start testing cables.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Is save state a technical possibility? That would take this thing to another level again if so, it’s something few flash carts have implemented. Possibly there are limits but I’m not technical
orange808

Post by orange808 »

pixeljunkie wrote:Some good info in here - but mostly bitching.

You guys do realize what early adopting entails, right? It's exactly what's happening. Early adopters always have to "deal" with the hiccups of something new. I'm too excited about it. I know this will get figured out. Just stoked to get mine and start testing cables.
No. That's feedback to get things fixed.

I've been quietly watching this one and I want to know the details--and I guarantee I'm not the only one lurking around this thread anxiously debating grabbing one of these. So, it all serves a purpose.
We apologise for the inconvenience
KonradKlaus

Post by KonradKlaus »

orange808 wrote:
I've been quietly watching this one and I want to know the details--and I guarantee I'm not the only one lurking around this thread anxiously debating grabbing one of these. So, it all serves a purpose.
I have been lurking too, like most of the threads. I know people are upset, but there is a difference between constructive criticism/feedback and taking things too seriously. Things weren't handled great on SSDS3 side, but they probably got the feedback too late to change things. They seem to be trying to make good on things now. Only time will tell. I will say the project has peaked my interest in getting a PC Engine.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

KonradKlaus wrote:
orange808 wrote:
I have been lurking too, like most of the threads. I know people are upset, but there is a difference between constructive criticism/feedback and taking things too seriously. Things weren't handled great on SSDS3 side, but they probably got the feedback too late to change things. They seem to be trying to make good on things now. Only time will tell. I will say the project has peaked my interest in getting a PC Engine.
They had the feedback over a month ago in this very thread and they chose to ignore it, whilst attacking/banning people who dared to even bring the subject up. They made their own bed quite frankly.

That being said they are finally handling it perfectly, offering refunds and working with people like Voultar to get a permanent solution. Like many others I'm waiting for a new hardware revision at which point I'll be all over it.
broken

Post by broken »

This is a cross post from Neo-geo.com, but thought I would share my findings here as well:

Further analysis:

Tested composite video (non RGB) with stereo audio:

Audio seems similar with the buzzing. Much of the buzzing seems to coincide with access to the SD card. During SD card access I hear an increase in background audio noise.

Composite video sadly seems to have the same kind of interference in that I am seeing in RGB mode. Obviously whatever is affecting RGB output is also affecting regular composite video.

I plugged my RGB modded white PCE into the SSDS3 for some more testing.

Comparing it's internal RGB amp to the SSDS3 shows quite a big difference. The internal amp had none of the wavy noise nor the diagonal interference.

Here is a quick video capture of the RGB output between the SSDS3 and an internal RGB amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmb2JPiu7e4

My thoughts: The RGB amp has good sharpness and color rendition. It's however let down by substantial noise in the video.

I am leaning towards this not being an issue with the RGB amp design (though broken composite sync is a different issue entirely) and more towards some kind of grounding or voltage leaking issue. Or some other kind of noise generating error.
Todd of Retro Frog

gojira54

Post by gojira54 »

I don't get that diagonal noise on my setup.
Can you change PSU as test at all?
In the UK I use this one for all my 9VDC consoles;
https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/9v-2250ma-ac ... pply-l46bl
Milspex

Post by Milspex »

If they are actively shipping out their product at the moment whilst knowing it has these flaws I would not consider that to be handled perfect to be honest. Even though they might be working with experts on a solution.

I'm not sure if they are shipping but it would be my guess that they are not. Or at least I hope they are not.

Also, the "well at least it is better than composite" or "at least it is better than what the console is capable of unmodded" arguments really don't fly if I'm honest. Even though true, it is not what you are advertising your product of being capable of.
broken

Post by broken »

gojira54 wrote:I don't get that diagonal noise on my setup.
Can you change PSU as test at all?
In the UK I use this one for all my 9VDC consoles;
https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/9v-2250ma-ac ... pply-l46bl
I have tested it also with a Genesis/Megadrive PSU which is a much higher current rating.

Same results with the same noise.
Todd of Retro Frog

BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I just hit a pretty big problem using mine today. I was playing Rondo of Blood, I was on the level where you have to do like a boss rush, first fight a Bat, then a Medusa, then a Mummy then a Frankenstein type thing. I was getting my ass kicked quite a bit and it went to game over and I pressed to try again then this happened:-

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aq3AGWWejjepi034wkz13UNXR6JB

I turned my Supergrafx off and on again and it got back to the menu, but when I started the game up again, my save file was wiped out. :(

I can still see the "DraculaX-RondoOfBlood.bup" file on the SD card but I don't know if it's corrupt now or what, but all my progress is gone.

Second time in my life I've started this game and lost my progress lol, first time was years ago when the PC Engine I was using lost its backup memory.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
broken

Post by broken »

BuckoA51 wrote:I just hit a pretty big problem using mine today. I was playing Rondo of Blood, I was on the level where you have to do like a boss rush, first fight a Bat, then a Medusa, then a Mummy then a Frankenstein type thing. I was getting my ass kicked quite a bit and it went to game over and I pressed to try again then this happened:-

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aq3AGWWejjepi034wkz13UNXR6JB

I turned my Supergrafx off and on again and it got back to the menu, but when I started the game up again, my save file was wiped out. :(

I can still see the "DraculaX-RondoOfBlood.bup" file on the SD card but I don't know if it's corrupt now or what, but all my progress is gone.

Second time in my life I've started this game and lost my progress lol, first time was years ago when the PC Engine I was using lost its backup memory.
Ouch!

I've played a couple hours of Rondo and haven't seen that happen.

Did you have the in-game trigger enabled?
Todd of Retro Frog

gojira54

Post by gojira54 »

I've been playing dracula x as well.. I found that on sgx it would crash infrequently, as do other games.
Samr can be said for using everdrive too though, not sure if this is my sgx or not but real hucards have never crashed...
I've played for quite some hours the last few days and the ssds3 has been stable when using core grafx hasn't crashed

BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

100% and Continue 3.. lol you're way better at it than me.
Did you have the in-game trigger enabled?
I didn't no. My SD card only has a few megs free though, maybe that was the issue (even so, PCE saves are in the kilobytes).

I'll try again when I get a fresh MicroSD card.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
ShootTheCore

Post by ShootTheCore »

Would flipping the switch in the back corner of the SuperGrafx to disable the SuperGrafx hardware enhancements address the freezing up?
gojira54

Post by gojira54 »

>Would flipping the switch in the back corner of the SuperGrafx to disable the SuperGrafx hardware enhancements address the freezing up?
no ;)

I just compared the only OEM PSU I have with the modern switch mode - can't see any difference at all & same amount of inherent audio noise that is to be expected. My picture is OK no wavy distortion.
@broken - so either there is some kind of quality control issue with the SSDS3 where I have a 'good' copy OR some part of your set up is introducing the distortion somewhere

broken

Post by broken »

It’s not my setup as I have tested it on two different pc engines, 2 different power supplies and both a Sony PVM and an OSSC setup. 3 different scart cables and No scart switches involved. Even composite video from the ssds3 has the same interence.

Did you see the video I posted comparing the ssds3 RGB vs internal RGB mod?

Plus there have been numerous other folks on this forum and other forums reporting the same issue. I also spoke to Coury of My Life in Gaming (YT channel) and he is seeing the same thing.
Todd of Retro Frog

chadti99

Post by chadti99 »

I did the Tim Worhtington jail-bar fix on my SGX Friday and it's def worth it, very easy to get at the caps on the SGX as well.

I just wanted to reiterate that through the cable I have(older retro access raw sync cable) and my OSSC, the picture is excellent, as close to perfect as I'd imagine you could get, especially with the Jail-bar fix. One thing to note, I do have to have the LPF on the OSSC set to "Auto" otherwise I get a sparkle effect.

Connected to my XRGB Mini it's a different story, I'm getting some odd banding/ghosting going on, mostly visible in solid blocks of color. The bands almost morph around when the screen is moving, almost like an issue with the XRGB's A/D conversion. The image also isn't as vibrant running through the Mini. No combo of settings seems to help and it very well could be just the cable I'm using. It's just odd to see such a stark contrast between the OSSC and Mini when they are usually pretty close.
Eatitup_86

Post by Eatitup_86 »

Eatitup_86 wrote:
SavagePencil wrote:
Eatitup_86 wrote:I purchased a few cheap scart cables to test my system.

One of them had 75 ohm resistors in line with RGB. I removed them to test and see what happened and it did make the image stable but also overly bright.

A second cable that came in today does have an image that looks pretty close to the proper brightness and does not have the wavy effect I was experiencing before.

However, The audio complaints + analysis provided earlier in this post do seem to be valid. I am hearing a buzz on both cables that becomes much louder any time you switch to the CD option in the home menu. That wouldn't be much of a problem if it only occurred in the menu though... it also happens during gameplay and is pretty harsh. While you are looking into the video issue I think the audio circuit may need to be analyzed as well.

If there is something I can add to the scart cable end to get rid of the buzz please let me know. These are pretty much cheap cables I bought to tinker with so I am open to experimenting with them.
Is the buzz related to screen intensity? Do you hear more buzz on an all-white screen vs. a black screen?
Yep a white screen does have much more buzz than the others.
I managed to gather up 4 RGB cables to test this and have had the below results.

Here are the cables I have tried so far:
Retro-Access
--------------
1: Retrogameaccessories / Retro-Access RGB cable - Strange color fluctuations across the image most noticeable when there is a solid color on a scrolling background.

From Amazon
---------------
2: Cinpel RGB cable - Image was extremely dark, Upon removing the 75 ohm resistors in the scart connector the image is overly bright. Loud audio buzz also is present.
3: Flashbackltd RGB cable from Alberta low prices shop - Image seems to be slightly brighter than normal but the image is stable. Loud audio buzz.

From Console5
----------------
4: RGB Cable - Brightness appears to be right, the image is stable, and the audio buzz is slightly lower than the cables from Amazon.

If you are using a Framemeister setup then it seems that the Console5 cable is the way to go and it only costs $8 so it is a pretty great temporary solution as NeoSD works towards their finalized fix on their end.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

composite video or compsite sync?
Eatitup_86

Post by Eatitup_86 »

svensonson wrote:composite video or compsite sync?
Looks like Composite Video:
"These cables use C-Video for SYNC" - Console5's cable description