"battle royale" games - ?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
qmish

"battle royale" games - ?

Post by qmish »

So, currently PUBG is best seller, more than DOTA (which is MOBA which is streamlined degradation of RTS)...

So, basically it's inspired by "Battle Royale" novel/whatever, so it's survival (also was trendy lately - see DayZ clones, and PUBG itself started as modification for ArmA) X last man standing with game area becoming smaller each times somebody dies.

It's fun for people to play, though i you are to watch streams... Oh my, 90% of time its like walking sim with occasional camping sniper kills. Makes me wanna launch some shmups immediately! Where everything happens in short burst of time.

Anyway, :?: why Battle Royale movie was, well, you know. And look at these games - they are so generic as !@#$%. Maybe we need japanese devs to make game in this genre, but with charisma and character?
quash

Re: "battle royale" games - ?

Post by quash »

While I do tend to prefer shorter bursts of action, a slow buildup to the grand finale can be just as, if not more, satisfying. I definitely spend much more time with Rainbow Six Siege than I do with PUBG, but that's mostly because Siege is consistently great whereas PUBG is basically a crapshoot between an amazing or terrible experience. It mostly depends on how well you can power through the server issues, engine issues, and the ever abundant hackers.

Also, Square Enix is making their own BR game called Left Alive, with none other than Yoji Shinkawa as the lead character designer. I already play PUBG like Metal Gear when I play solo, this just sweetens the deal.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Why these games appeal to people so much? Where is quake 3 arena master race now with their skill ceiling? First MOBAs, then survivals, now battle royale... :P
quash

Post by quash »

What's there not to get? It's you versus the world. Wouldn't it be nice to win that fight, even if only once?

If you're lamenting the shooting mechanics of these games, then yeah, I'd agree that they could use some work. But I can forgive them for that because the concept is just too damn cool, and more refined mechanics will come in due time, anyways.

Same goes with For Honor. It's not as refined as other fighting games, but its concept elevates the game in spite of that. It may never be as refined as Street Fighter, but it also doesn't have to be, as long as it improves at all.
qmish

Post by qmish »

other fighting games
Ain't that fencing genre? Like Chivalry and other? Or by that logic Dark Souls is also entry into fighting games in pvp
quash

Post by quash »

Kinda sorta. It's clear that they were inspired by the triangle concept found in most fighting games, but yeah, it's definitely inspired by 3D action games, as well. It's arguably a genre of its own, but I'd need to play it some more to have a definitive stance on that.

Think of it this way: the tick-tock cycle of CPU releases also applies to games. The tick in our case would be a game that either invents, combines, or streamlines one or more concepts. The tock would be the more refined version of that game. PUBG is a tick for the BR/whatever you want to call it genre.

If there's one thing I tend to notice about arcade gamers, it's that we like the tocks a lot more than the ticks, and rightfully so. But the problem is when people don't appreciate the ticks, some going as far as to say they shouldn't exist or that they all suck. Granted, some of them do suck, but they still served their purpose.

I think ten years from now, PUBG will be fondly remembered for pioneering its genre in the same way we remember SF2 for pioneering 2D fighters. It's not the first, but it's the first one to get the element of suspense right, which is ultimately what makes these games fun. It does some other things not so well, but it knocks that one element out of the park so hard that you shouldn't be able to care.
Last edited by quash on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
qmish

Post by qmish »

All those survival multiplayer fps subgenres looks so samey*. Is it what outsiders think of shmups too? haha

*granted, as half of them appeared as mods for arma**, LOL!
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

qmish quash qmish quash qmish quash.
I cannot take this.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Blinge wrote:qmish quash qmish quash qmish quash.
sounds just like a platypus walking in mud to me :P
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

nah that wouldn't sound quite so revolting!
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i played a lot of dayz till the game started to die out..probably the most fun i had with a game because you could be so creative with what you could do. used to play on de 1000 which was the busiest and most customised server.
that server was pay to win all the teams bought loadouts nearly except for a few like mine who found it easier to just kill the pay to win chumps and steal all there shit.. my kd was something pretty mad for dayz as i was a very cautious player . i never exposed myself to make a shot on someone unless i knew i was nearly 100% sure i would win the firefight. i guess i was more like a general boss/strategist directing kids 10-15 years younger than me to kill people for me :lol: .wish i had kept some of the vids . i had a good one where we filled a base with about 40 cars and 3 helicopters we gathered in a morning and everyone came to acctack the base for 2 days and had no joy :twisted:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:nah that wouldn't sound quite so revolting!
Maybe a platypus running in slightly different conditions? ;3

YOU KNOW IT BURINJU
Spoiler

TRP-STGT17 NEVAR 4GET
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

^^^^
tabarnak :lol:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Man Platypuses are so cool I wish I could avoid that many dicks.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Platypi.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

While I respect the logic Xeegie and prefer your version, it is actually Platypuses.
..I looked it up once.

It's a dumb name anyway; all it means is flat footed. They spend most of their time swimming ffs.

Anyway yeah PUBG.
Looks cool, I've no doubt it's something I'd enjoy but I simply cannot be bothered.
Can you start and play as teams? I'd be more willing then.
quash

Post by quash »

You can play in teams of 2-4, which will match you with other teams of the same size. You can also choose between first and third person mode on most servers. I prefer first person mode for the most part, but on the JP/KR server for example it isn't an option, so I've learned to play both.