G Rev - Pick What They Do Next

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

What Should G Rev Make Next?

New Horizontal Shooter (likely requires successful Crowd Funding Campaign)
41%
New Sidescrolling Action Game (likely requires successful Crowd Funding Campaign)
5%
New Bullet Hell Vertical Shooter (likely requires successful Crowd Funding Campaign)
23%
Sequel to an Existing Dormant Japanese IP like Magical Drop, Windjammers, etc (Reply with a comment specifying which)
6%
Port of Strania that you can buy on a PCB format
2%
Port of Under Defeat HD that you can buy on a PCB format
1%
Border Down HD (Higher resolution version of their classic on a PCB format)
22%

Total votes: 212

Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

G Rev - Pick What They Do Next

Post by Shou »

Many people here know me from the old days of this forum, V1 with malc, Akira and Felix but for those that don't, I reside in Japan and worked in the game industry in various capacities in addition to my preservation efforts for arcade content. Now, I am working with almost every remaining arcade developer in Japan on new releases that are actual physical releases (rather than lease only) and we want your valuable input on what to make next!

Today's developer is G Rev who have a team with pedigree from Taito and have worked collaboratively with other developers like Treasure in the past.
I've listed a few options in a poll about what we are discussing. Do note that making a brand new title is not an easy task given the economics in the marketplace and would require significant crowd funding to make it happen.

PS: If you're in Japan, come to JAEPO to see our first 2 releases on the show floor.

EDIT 1: To clarify, any choice would be for arcade first then PC/console later. That's how the economics of this work out.

EDIT 2: Our mission statement is to improve the business eco system so that not only developers but arcade operators across the world can financially keep creating/supporting the games we love. It's a combination of making the right content for the right formats, understanding how to sell them globally and changing how things are done today. We have signed up developers not only from Japan but from various countries in North America, South America and the EU. New productions would of course make it to PC and console at a later stage.

Something like Border Down HD or Under Defeat HD would come out sooner rather than a brand new production which could take 12 months+ and almost $1 million.
Last edited by Shou on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
become history
z0mbie90

Re: G Rev - Pick What They Do Next

Post by z0mbie90 »

I would like to see more of their titles on steam, especially Mamorukun Curse!. But if new IP I would like an Vertical STG :wink:
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

"PCB format" in 2018 is lulzy.

I'd love Border Down HD available on real formats, though.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I'd like to see a new shooter; I chose horizontal because I have my doubts that a "bullet hell vertical shooter" would differentiate itself enough from other shooters being made these days. However, either hori or vert or any combination thereof is fine with me.

If a port, then Border Down for PC please.

Don't care for PCB format, can't think of any dormant Japanese IPs that I really want to see revived (besides Gradius or Parodius???).
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
KAI

Post by KAI »

I want ports of their Densha de Go! games, and new hori with mechas if possible.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Voted for new hori (sequel to Border Down) preferably console w/ physical release at some point (PS4, Switch)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Shou wrote:EDIT: To clarify, any choice would be for arcade first then PC/console later. That's how the economics of this work out.
If that's the case, then it's basically "don't care". No one who lives anywhere but Japan has reason to care about any arcade release in 2018.
Imhotep

Post by Imhotep »

I voted new sidescrolling action game, as it's probably still my favourite genre.

but a PCB release of Strania is a close second.
land for man to live, sea for machine to function.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Border Down HD for NesicaXLive 2, with PC & PS4/XB1 versions after that.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Shou

Post by Shou »

gameoverDude wrote:Border Down HD for NesicaXLive 2, with PC & PS4/XB1 versions after that.
Nesica 2 is only for fighters per Taito management.

Also, we have our own arcade hardware for these game releases - that's the whole point of this :)
become history
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

Talk Konami into an enhanced, expanded arcade Gradius 5 or a brand new Gradius 6-- because frankly, Gradius 5 and Gaiden were the pinnacle of the series.
Y'om

Post by Y'om »

I 200% agree with prefious commentary.

Gradius 6, Border Down 2, new game ?
louisg

Post by louisg »

I love Under Defeat and would like to see a sequel someday. They are so excellent at those Raystorm-like shmups! Failing that, Border Down 2 :D
Humans, think about what you have done
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

gameoverDude wrote:Border Down HD for NesicaXLive 2, with PC & PS4/XB1 versions after that.
This seems the most sensible and risk-adverse option. I know that there's plenty of PCB collectors here but I just want an update port of Border Down even if it's PC/console only.

EDIT: I just read the update to the OP. A crowdfunding campaign would mean that we wouldn't see anything released for years. Whereas a Border Down port could very likely take less time.
Last edited by Oniros on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Mero

Post by Mero »

One of these things you're showing at JAEPO is the AC version of Aka to Blue then?
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

PC ports of Border Down (and Under Defeat) is what I would suggest.
A new game would be even better but I don't think I would bet on the success of a crowdfunding campaign.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Special modes for the BD & UD ports then, certainly more affordable than a completly new game.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
DenT4F

Post by DenT4F »

I would love Border Down for PS4.

I would also pledge for a horizontal and/or a vertical stg.

Not sure what to vote for.. I would've went for the Border Down option but I have no interest in PCB gaming.

Edit: I just noticed that console release is planned after. Border Down it is.
Last edited by DenT4F on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

New game please, I am sure it will be fully crowfunded if done right, you can count with my support for sure. G.rev games are awesome, I wish the best luck in this shared project Shou
Working in the japanese language achievement
Shou

Post by Shou »

Mero wrote:One of these things you're showing at JAEPO is the AC version of Aka to Blue then?
Yes
become history
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Voted a new hori, but don't really care as long as it's not a PCB and it has G.Rev's signature explosions.
My lord, I have come for you.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Oh Shou you beautiful man, are you serious? This is the stuff of dreams. I’ll push this on AO shortly.

Come on people, this is a rare opportunity to vote for a brand new G-rev shooter for goodness sake. If you can’t afford the hardware it’ll come home eventually. There’s no need for arcade re-releases or updates, or at least that can come later once the hardware is established.

I would certainly dig deep for the crowdfunding for something new. I imagine a Cave PCB Kickstarter would be particularly successful considering current demand for the rarer kits.
gsilverfish

Post by gsilverfish »

I voted for a side scroll action game but a horizontal shooter would also attract my attention! I say new all the way--if they want to play it safe with an existing brand/IP then they should just zero in on what's safest.

That said I'm really curious about the arcade focus. I mean by all means, make an arcade game, I think that's great! But especially if it's going to be done via crowd-sourcing it seems like a considerable risk compared to targeting home platforms.
geotrig

Post by geotrig »

Wow I can't believe people don't want a PCB

Are we talking ng std rez or high rez ?

I'd love a follow up to windjammers but it would be hard beat it.
I'd say anything that was released on a std res PCB would be awesome ,although I am sure it would be out of my price range.
danseg

Post by danseg »

I really had to create an account just to vote, but hell G.rev is one favorite for me

I voted to use an existing IP just because, let's be real, if they crowfound a game, they won't hit the mark since they are more nichier than ever.
If they did a port like Border Down HD they would probably do an upscale to 720p or 1080p only for PC and hell knows how much is it gonna sell.

But if they continue working with existing IP's like Senko no Ronde 2, or pitch a game like Gradius VI for Konami, or EVEN better, pitching a new SNK Shoot'em up like Twinkle Star Sprites, Blazing Star, Prehistoric Isle, or even a new platformer like Top Hunter. Let's remember that SNK right now is wanting to bring new games to consoles and arcades, and bring their IP's to newer generations, so they will pay for it.

I think going like Platinum Games is the best they can do right now to keep them alive and keep them with income so that they can offer new IP w/o crowfounding.
Shou

Post by Shou »

SuperPang wrote:Oh Shou you beautiful man, are you serious? This is the stuff of dreams. I’ll push this on AO shortly.
You'll never want to wake up after seeing our pipeline.
become history
Shou

Post by Shou »

geotrig wrote:Wow I can't believe people don't want a PCB

Are we talking ng std rez or high rez ?

I'd love a follow up to windjammers but it would be hard beat it.
I'd say anything that was released on a std res PCB would be awesome ,although I am sure it would be out of my price range.
Our hardware and developer guidelines mandate working with 31kHz and 720p at a minimum.
become history
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Whatever it ends up being please don't limit the home/console port to PS4 only. There's loads of UK and USA STG fans eager for a new G.Rev title and it'd be awesome to see something special like a BD2 on the One X.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

I'd like them to do something with Data East's IPs, a new proper Magical Drop would be great. Windjammers too. Or Wolf Fang since it's not that far from STGs.

I don't think a STG crowdfund with a goal of 1 million will go well. The mainstream sees STGs as a cheap genre to make.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I'm not really sure what to vote now; if it's purely what I'd like to see, then something new, but a port of an existing game is certainly more realistic.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube