I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
LichbannMejolaro

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by LichbannMejolaro »

Plasmo wrote:Congrats on your first arcade clear! Stage 4 and 5 can be really tricky at times. Good job.

Have you played the Japan or the US version of Donpachi?

How many hours did it take you?

Instead of listing some new titles (Shepardus already did a great job here), I also want to suggest thinking about highscore chasing. Clearing is one thing, but playing for score makes you appreciate the game on a whole different level (and we have a whole sub-forum dedicated to that). Moreover, keep in mind, that Donpachi has 2 loops, so you could also aim for a 2-ALL.

There are many ways to go from here on. Looking forward to your next posts! :D
Thanks for the congratulations! :D I've played the US version of Donpachi (on Mame). Is there a lot of differences between them?

Counting practice and full runs, it took me maybe 10 or 11 hours. Funnily enough, I have being playing Donpachi for at least 2 weeks, but was going just 1 credit per day and without any kind of credit feeding. In my twisted mind, I thought that at some point I'd be able to magically pull a 1cc off of it. Then, 2 days ago, I finally got to mid stage 4 and the truth just appeared to me: If I didn't practice seriously, I'd never beat the game. So I made save states and started going over and over through stages 4 and 5 (since 1 to 3 were pretty consistent for me at this point).

Two things that I realized that were a game changer was:

1) Changing fromanalog stick to D-Pad. With analog I didn't have the precision I wanted and got some pretty dumb deaths. The 1CC run was the second I tried on D-Pad (with the first being a really close one), so I think that helps a lot in my case.

2) Changing my bomb button from circle to R1. I was using the default X for shooting and circle for bombing. Then, I began to notice that there was some bombs that just didn't activate because of my fingers position. Using R1 solved it, and in the 1CC run I didn't have any deaths for failed bombs (happened a lot earlier).

Finally, speaking of scoring, I admit that although I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject, just to think about it makes me a little anxious. Let me explain it: I used to (still do sometimes) do speedruns, and I always got really frustrated when I had to restart because I've made some dumb mistake. I feel like highscoring is similar. Granted, everything I know about scoring comes from the "Full Extent of the Jam", but I feel that it is something really stressful, and I'd probably get more frustrated than have fun. Playing for survival, at least for now, seems more fun for me because I don't need to look for other people's videos to look for the best routes to optimize the scoring and such. Also, even though some mistakes can be harsh (like dying with a full bomb stock), you can always recover, which isn't true (again, for what I've read) if you lose a 300 combo.

But a 2-All is something I'm definitely eager to try, but maybe not now. The few stages I saw from Loop 2 made me crazy, the amount of bullets is enerving. :lol:
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Donpachi's US version is significantly easier than the Japanese version, so maybe you can try clearing the Japanese version next. :wink: Much of what you've learned already should carry over, I said it's harder but it's not like you have to relearn the whole game. The Hong Kong version is even harder but that version's kind of silly and hardly anyone plays it.

I personally recommend playing for survival and engaging with the score system when you find it fun, until you've covered some breadth and have a good idea of what you like and dislike. If you're going to spend dozens, even hundreds of hours chasing score in a single game, it should at least be a game you especially love.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

R-Type III, currently 2-5. Already 1CC but I'm going for 2-ALL!
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

Shepardus wrote:Donpachi's US version is significantly easier than the Japanese version, so maybe you can try clearing the Japanese version next. :wink: Much of what you've learned already should carry over, I said it's harder but it's not like you have to relearn the whole game. The Hong Kong version is even harder but that version's kind of silly and hardly anyone plays it.

I personally recommend playing for survival and engaging with the score system when you find it fun, until you've covered some breadth and have a good idea of what you like and dislike. If you're going to spend dozens, even hundreds of hours chasing score in a single game, it should at least be a game you especially love.
You mean this?
"RANK 2(NORMAL)" US/JP
"RANK 4(VERY HARD)" HK

I believe Progear has the same thing:
Rank 8(Asia)
Rank 4(JP)
Rank 2(US)
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

LichbannMejolaro wrote:
Plasmo wrote:Congrats on your first arcade clear! Stage 4 and 5 can be really tricky at times. Good job.

Instead of listing some new titles (Shepardus already did a great job here), I also want to suggest thinking about highscore chasing. Clearing is one thing, but playing for score makes you appreciate the game on a whole different level (and we have a whole sub-forum dedicated to that). Moreover, keep in mind, that Donpachi has 2 loops, so you could also aim for a 2-ALL.

Thanks for the congratulations! :D I've played the US version of Donpachi (on Mame). Is there a lot of differences between them?

Counting practice and full runs, it took me maybe 10 or 11 hours. Funnily enough, I have being playing Donpachi for at least 2 weeks, but was going just 1 credit per day and without any kind of credit feeding. In my twisted mind, I thought that at some point I'd be able to magically pull a 1cc off of it. Then, 2 days ago, I finally got to mid stage 4 and the truth just appeared to me: If I didn't practice seriously, I'd never beat the game. So I made save states and started going over and over through stages 4 and 5 (since 1 to 3 were pretty consistent for me at this point).

1) Changing fromanalog stick to D-Pad. With analog I didn't have the precision I wanted and got some pretty dumb deaths. The 1CC run was the second I tried on D-Pad (with the first being a really close one), so I think that helps a lot in my case.

2) Changing my bomb button from circle to R1. I was using the default X for shooting and circle for bombing. Then, I began to notice that there was some bombs that just didn't activate because of my fingers position. Using R1 solved it, and in the 1CC run I didn't have any deaths for failed bombs (happened a lot earlier).

Finally, speaking of scoring, I admit that although I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject, just to think about it makes me a little anxious. Let me explain it: I used to (still do sometimes) do speedruns, and I always got really frustrated when I had to restart because I've made some dumb mistake. I feel like highscoring is similar. Granted, everything I know about scoring comes from the "Full Extent of the Jam", but I feel that it is something really stressful, and I'd probably get more frustrated than have fun. Playing for survival, at least for now, seems more fun for me because I don't need to look for other people's videos to look for the best routes to optimize the scoring and such. Also, even though some mistakes can be harsh (like dying with a full bomb stock), you can always recover, which isn't true (again, for what I've read) if you lose a 300 combo.

But a 2-All is something I'm definitely eager to try, but maybe not now. The few stages I saw from Loop 2 made me crazy, the amount of bullets is enerving. :lol:
Did you say "Analog Stick"? You even mention the buttons Circle and R1. You are playing the PSX ports.
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Goompaolo9500 wrote:You mean this?
"RANK 2(NORMAL)" US/JP
"RANK 4(VERY HARD)" HK

Rank 8(Asia)
Rank 4(JP)
Rank 2(US)
No, even if you adjust the difficulty settings on the regional variants the difficulty is still different. Same thing goes for Progear (I remember someone mentioning this to you before in the Progear score thread).
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
LichbannMejolaro

Post by LichbannMejolaro »

Goompaolo9500 wrote:
LichbannMejolaro wrote:

Did you say "Analog Stick"? You even mention the buttons Circle and R1. You are playing the PSX ports.
I use a PS3 joystick on PC. :wink:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I've 1CC'd Einhander on Normal before.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Played Gradius (FC) over the last few days hoping for a 1-ALL/1CC, but ended up getting a 1-ALL/1LC instead. :wink:

This was the 3rd time I reached the last stage, and previously I got there without losing any lives in one, and losing just one in the other, but was absolutely murdered in that final stage while using laser. Of all those lives lost, only on one did I manage to survive long enough to see the boss's door starting to close, but never made it there.
I was going to try Double on the second run, but I forgot to cycle the power bar to it before the stage, and was stuck with laser. Finally got Double in this run, and cleared the loop, though not without some worry.
About 2/3rds through the stage the shield ran out, and I had been too scared to get too close to either the ceiling or the floor to properly replenish the power-up bar (too may of those walker spawning), but thankfully it all worked out. :lol:

Lost a life on 2-1 immediatelly, and another on the same stage's boss -- as I learned the hard way, he shoots a bullet every so often on loop 2, and I was used to point-blanking him, so I died. Lost some 5~6 lives after that, and the rest on the next stage. To be fair, a good part of these were lost, because I wasn't too bothered to try the 2nd loop fully at this time, but certainly intend to do so in the future.

Unfortunately, ended up skipping stage 4 due to the warp thing -- I didn't know the conditions at the time, and it leaves a sour taste in my mouth for not having gone through all the stages.
This is my least favourite aspect of this port, as I think that they should have implemented the warping mechanic in a way you can't accidentally trigger.

Anyway, pretty happy though, as this marks my first classic (ie. non-danmaku) STG clear. :wink:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Just got my first 2-loop clear of an arcade game. EDIT: Errr, oops, I forgot I cleared Raiga: Strato Fighter, a 2-loop shmup. Unfortunately... it's not a shmup. However it is a very solid run 'n gun with an interesting dash attack mechanic. For offense it's iffy, however you can immediately cancel out of a dash, and the recovery animation is invulnerable, so you can use it to dodge! It's unusual to see a run 'n gun game with such a powerful evasion mechanic.

Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa (Arcade Game) - 2 Loop Clear, No Continues/1CC (Version AA)
Goompaolo9500 wrote: You mean this?
"RANK 2(NORMAL)" US/JP
"RANK 4(VERY HARD)" HK

Rank 8(Asia)
Rank 4(JP)
Rank 2(US)
Is Progear actually harder on the JP version? I know Giga Wing is setup similarly where the difficulty is one setting in Japanese, and another in the US version, but is it possible the US difficulty 2 is equivalent to JP's 4? I.E. the max difficulty setting is harder in the US is harder than the max difficulty setting in Japanese so arcade operators in the US who wanted a credit feeder could crank up the difficulty higher than even on the JP boards...?
Shepardus wrote:No, even if you adjust the difficulty settings on the regional variants the difficulty is still different. Same thing goes for Progear (I remember someone mentioning this to you before in the Progear score thread).
Whoops, missed this. What was adjusted in difficulty? I should comparing an input replay to see where it desyncs, that might give some clues on what was tweaked...

Moo Mesa has essentially two versions: EA, AA (which are identical in gameplay, input replay in one syncs in the other), and UAB/UAC (presumably the US versions). The UAB/UAC are set to the same difficulty as the other versions, but it actually starts off at second-loop difficulty for stages (more enemies, slightly harder bosses), which is very odd. The UAB/UAC versions also have defaults set bizarrely: loops endlessly, less life stock by default, disabled level select, etc. - Konami had a habit of making unnecessary changes to the US versions of their games which made them harder and more credit-feedy...
stop

Post by stop »

I've been playing through the Gradius series lately. When I first got to Gradius III Arcade I was satisfied with simply clearing the "Beginner" mode, but I found myself frequently coming back to it to play some credits. Eventually I got the proper 1-ALL and by that point I was enjoying it enough to go for a 2-ALL as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftBgmOImGiw

This run nearly became a trainwreck, though! After I died in 2-7 I didn't put any care into when I was activating my options, which meant I had no clue where the Option Hunter was going to appear. I figured it wouldn't matter as I'd die to the cube rush and the Option Hunter would be reset there. However, that didn't happen as the cube rush graciously offered me a free pass and I greedily took it. This led to the Option Hunter taking me by surprise, giving me a lot of trouble in the final stage.
I still managed to flail my way to the end in spite of all that, but that sure made things more tense than it needed to be. :P
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

Yes! :D

1CC - Scramble (Arcade / M.A.M.E.) - without cheats and auto-fire.

I did not expect it. Next time I'll try to make a video/inp.

Great game.

EDIT1:

1CC again.

Almost 2CC. What a stupid end!! :x :x

SDLMAME 0.193 has a problem with recordind a second loop in Scramble... Synchronization was lost, it seems.

The real end was different.

EDIT2:

Finally, damn hiscore plugin, it must be turned off... Sry, n00b.
Now it works well.

1CC again - 28130

Download: http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/9/b/1/nr ... ame193.zip
Last edited by nesrulz on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Haven't posted in here for a while, but I've gotten DOJ White Label and Black Label 1-ALLs, Ketsui 1-ALL, Mushihimesama HD Original and Maniac 1-ALLs, and an SDOJ 1-ALL. Most of these are in the last year.

I really want to clear Gunbird 2 or Dragon Blaze but I haven't commited too much to my PS2 or Dreamcast setup. Waiting to see if the new year will bring me a cab, at which point I'll probably try to find PCBs.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

ImageImageImage
Spoiler
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I don't understand why you bothered, but congratulations nonetheless!
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The absolute madman, what will he clear next? Are there any Dooyong games that still need attention?
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Thanks guys, it was quite the struggle! This and Battlantis were formidable nemeses, now they are but two husks amidst the mountain of felled shmups, laying firmly beneath my heels. Image :mrgreen:
Shepardus wrote:I don't understand why you bothered, but congratulations nonetheless!
Weeeeeeell, it was the last missing NMK game. Also, it is insanely aggravating yet I didn't hate it in the same way I abhor, say, Ghost Pilots, U.N. Defense Force, Gigandes, those ASO games or the Darwins, it's not entirely without merit. Also also, I have to concede that some mad ambition was part of it, too.
EmperorIng wrote:The absolute madman, what will he clear next? Are there any Dooyong games that still need attention?
I've cleared all the Dooyong games a while ago, we're set on that front. Image As far as classic 1-ALLs are concerned, I've naught left except for SD Gundam Neo Battling which is unfortunately just as hard as Argus (albeit much better, it's stupendously difficult in the most nonchalant way imaginable, you're furthermore slaughtered by cute little robots which makes it surprisingly bearable). I ought to clear Rayforce (which I never really considered an oldschool shmup for some entirely subjective reason), too. Other than that, I can only think of a few subsequent loops when it comes to classic shmups. I'll probably find a handful more along the way, there are a few obscure (mostly pre-1987) specimens I haven't played at all or just for a brief moment which might prove trivial. However, I think there might be modernism in the future, I've recently even cleared the first loop of some modern Psikyo games (including Sol Divide Image) and the Normal Courses of Bakraid and Batrider, the latter of which was even enjoyable, an Advanced clear would be interesting, indeed.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Perikles wrote:I ought to clear Rayforce (which I never really considered an oldschool shmup for some entirely subjective reason), too.
It's not just you, that game does feel well ahead of its time, and I felt that way ever since I first saw it (which was Jaimers' 8-million clear; Jaimers mentioned the same thing in his video description). I can't quite phrase right now what makes it different, but its largish hitbox is the only thing about it that feels old-school to me.
Perikles wrote:(including Sol Divide Image)
I'm sorry to hear that. :P I did try out that game for a little while, thinking I should at least give it a try in case its eccentricities turned out to be fun, like Space Bomber, but I couldn't stand it even for its extremely short length. It felt very random, or at least inconsistent, which didn't go well with the Psikyo-style enemy attacks. That and I already usually dislike melee systems in shmups (Dragon Blaze being one of the few exceptions, because its "melee" actually has a pretty substantial range and doesn't interrupt movement much).
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Yuan Nang's meele in Gunbird is pretty fluid for a Psikyo game.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Melee attacks in later Psikyo games (e.g. Gunbird 2, Dragon Blaze) are very satisfying and visceral maneuvers. It helps that by around Strikers or Strikers 2 Nakamura and co. realized that waiting half a year to charge your special attack wasn't fun and sped up the process considerably.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Shepardus wrote:I did try out that game for a little while, thinking I should at least give it a try in case its eccentricities turned out to be fun, like Space Bomber, but I couldn't stand it even for its extremely short length. It felt very random, or at least inconsistent, which didn't go well with the Psikyo-style enemy attacks. That and I already usually dislike melee systems in shmups (Dragon Blaze being one of the few exceptions, because its "melee" actually has a pretty substantial range and doesn't interrupt movement much).
My Sol Divide experience had three distinct segments:

Phase 1: bah, this ain't no Tekkaman Blade! Why is it so hard fending off these knaves? Why am I dealing so little damage? Was it really a good idea implementing weird melee inputs into a game this clunky?

Phase 2: hmhmhm, this isn't so bad, after all. If you play with Tyora, you can forego all of this close range combat thanks to the powerful regular shot. If you just use the flame magic during dire situations and position yourself accordingly, crowd control isn't such a harrowing thing, either. And would you look at that, those boss fights are very controllable as well!

Phase 3: Jesus Christ almighty, why is every single one of those final bosses capable of taking away 60% of your health bar in a matter of milliseconds? Why is the final boss so goddamn cheap, spawning an endless supply of enemies right in front of you, even though you're more dead than alive and out of magic by that point? How am I supposed to react to those random patterns so quickly without guessing?

With a bit of patience, everything prior to that final stretch is at least serviceable, albeit still awkward. But that gauntlet is complete and utter bunk, all you can do is play one run after another and pray you get lucky.
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Perikles wrote:
Shepardus wrote:I did try out that game for a little while, thinking I should at least give it a try in case its eccentricities turned out to be fun, like Space Bomber, but I couldn't stand it even for its extremely short length. It felt very random, or at least inconsistent, which didn't go well with the Psikyo-style enemy attacks. That and I already usually dislike melee systems in shmups (Dragon Blaze being one of the few exceptions, because its "melee" actually has a pretty substantial range and doesn't interrupt movement much).
My Sol Divide experience had three distinct segments:

Phase 1: bah, this ain't no Tekkaman Blade! Why is it so hard fending off these knaves? Why am I dealing so little damage? Was it really a good idea implementing weird melee inputs into a game this clunky?

Phase 2: hmhmhm, this isn't so bad, after all. If you play with Tyora, you can forego all of this close range combat thanks to the powerful regular shot. If you just use the flame magic during dire situations and position yourself accordingly, crowd control isn't such a harrowing thing, either. And would you look at that, those boss fights are very controllable as well!

Phase 3: Jesus Christ almighty, why is every single one of those final bosses capable of taking away 60% of your health bar in a matter of milliseconds? Why is the final boss so goddamn cheap, spawning an endless supply of enemies right in front of you, even though you're more dead than alive and out of magic by that point? How am I supposed to react to those random patterns so quickly without guessing?

With a bit of patience, everything prior to that final stretch is at least serviceable, albeit still awkward. But that gauntlet is complete and utter bunk, all you can do is play one run after another and pray you get lucky.
Go for loop 2 8)
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Perikles wrote:If you play with Tyora, you can forego all of this close range combat thanks to the powerful regular shot. If you just use the flame magic during dire situations and position yourself accordingly, crowd control isn't such a harrowing thing, either.
And then you realize you need to finish off enemies (especially bosses) with melee for scoring. Maybe that's why they hide the score from you for most of the game. :P

I recently got a new PB in Parodius Da! which took far too long to get (increased from 999,800 last February to 1,016,800 now). I also got past the first stage of the second loop for the first time in a different run (though that one fell short of a score update, at 999,200 points). There's still plenty of low-hanging fruit to improve my score (including checkpoint-milking, which I still have yet to successfully execute in a run), so I don't think I'm done with this game just yet (I at least want to top Seahawk's score to claim the top Vic Viper score on the forum), but I may shift my focus to other things for the time being. Among those things are a Gradius III 1-ALL (still have yet to get past the cube rush), Detana!! TwinBee (doubt I'll get far in the second loop but I can improve my first-loop score), and TwinBee Yahho! (want to get a full clear of Practice Mode). And maybe a Battlantis 1-ALL since my PB isn't actually that far away from it, but my performance in that game seems totally random.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

I'm surprised that no one has brought up Aine's melee attack in Sengoku Blade, that one is just so satisfying to see/hear while also being functionally amazing.

Also, congrats on the 1 million in Parodius Da! I think I'm gonna go for that 1-ALL (along with a return to Gradius 2) this year and see what all the fuss is about.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Square_Air wrote:Also, congrats on the 1 million in Parodius Da! I think I'm gonna go for that 1-ALL (along with a return to Gradius 2) this year and see what all the fuss is about.
It's like Battle Garegga except you only get two extends and there's a lot more slowdown.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Looks like I missed some great stuff. Congrats to all who been gettin' those clears.:D
My lord, I have come for you.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

WOO! Second arcade 1cc ever! R-Type 1-ALL achieved! Took maybe 3 weeks? 4 weeks? Something like that.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Fucking dope LH. Knew you could do it.
My lord, I have come for you.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Stevens wrote:Fucking dope LH. Knew you could do it.
Thanks! I even got a mame input file, though I haven't checked to make sure that it didn't desync yet. I hope it didn't.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Splendid work, LordHypnos! I still fondly remember how I got my first R-Type 1-ALL on the PS1, it certainly is a very respectable clear, especially as one of your first arcade titles. I highly recommend checking out the second game (make sure to pick the Japanese version!) as well, I personally find it to be even more enjoyable (albeit not technically "better" in a manner of speaking). :)

Likewise congratulations to Shepardus for finally breaching 1m in Parodius Da! Now onto the first place on our leaderboards here. Image

My latest achievement involved managing to wear down yet another Xbox 360 controller - I've grown to tremendously enjoy these, but damn, they sure don't last all that long. Discovered with revulsion that the wired ones apparently got a lot more expensive since the last time I got one, too. Image