ApolloBoy wrote:
citrus3000psi wrote:Colecovison RGB
!!!

Say what now?
Yep :-)

Ichinisan

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by Ichinisan »

I want to thank Unseen for his work on this. As I understand it, even UltraHDMI was based on this breakthrough.

I felt comfortable selling my old component cable that I bought from Nintendo back in the day. Of course, prices had already started dropping when I sold mine in September for something like $160.

No worries though. I'll be building a GCVideo adapter based on this very soon!
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Put one of those out and I’ll be among the first to buy one, been waiting a long time for a ColecoVision RGB kit.
philexile

Post by philexile »

The ColecoVision PSUs (-5v, 5v, 12v) are insane!

I just did the RAM upgrade, which makes the -5v rail unnecessary. I just ordered this from Amazon which I'm hopeful can replace it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MGG6SC/
Zappyraccoon

Post by Zappyraccoon »

Ichinisan wrote:I want to thank Unseen for his work on this. As I understand it, even UltraHDMI was based on this breakthrough.

I felt comfortable selling my old component cable that I bought from Nintendo back in the day. Of course, prices had already started dropping when I sold mine in September for something like $160.

No worries though. I'll be building a GCVideo adapter based on this very soon!
UltraHDMI is not based on Unseens work. It is completely stand-alone.
pyroman512

Post by pyroman512 »

Anyone know any information on this? Seems to have popped up out of nowhere and heavily mimic design ideas from some other guys. Seems fishy to me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078ZLMQH9/re ... words=GCHD
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

pyroman512 wrote:Anyone know any information on this? Seems to have popped up out of nowhere and heavily mimic design ideas from some other guys. Seems fishy to me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078ZLMQH9/re ... words=GCHD
Interesting. I wonder if someone from the factory where BAC got his plugs made, decided to make their own product. Or sell it...
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Hey Citrus did you send out any invites for GCDual installs or kits yet btw?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

BuckoA51 wrote:Hey Citrus did you send out any invites for GCDual installs or kits yet btw?

Not yet, I feel like a broken record when I keep saying I'm almost ready. But I really am close at this point. I just want things perfect. I didn't like my method of testing, so I made a board revision, that will allow me to test fast and easy.
Last edited by citrus3000psi on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

No problem, after a year or so of sending boards back and forth between people it'd be great to get one that just works, no matter how long the wait.
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
GigaBoots

Post by GigaBoots »

I finished my lossless quality video comparison of the beta version of the GCVideoX.

GB Tech Lab - GCVideoX Beta Review

My first thought after finishing this was "why hasn't someone made an HDMI mod for the PS2!"
Is this something that's even possible? The 240p->480i->240p resolution switching is so fast on the GCVideoX, it makes me envious!
Also, neither the Component nor SCART output on the PS2 is satisfactory. The SNES Jr makes them look like chumps!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GigaBoots wrote:My first thought after finishing this was "why hasn't someone made an HDMI mod for the PS2!"
Is this something that's even possible? The 240p->480i->240p resolution switching is so fast on the GCVideoX, it makes me envious!
Also, neither the Component nor SCART output on the PS2 is satisfactory. The SNES Jr makes them look like chumps!
Of course it's possible, but I think the reason we haven't seen much in the way of HDMI mods for PS2--or Xbox, for that matter--is that component and SCART have been satisfactory for a lot of people, as long as you get a first-party or properly shielded third-party cable, and they support digital audio natively.

It makes sense that the GameCube gets an HDMI mod, because it's gotten to the point where an FPGA board gets you similar if not better video quality than the first-party option, and digital audio (which Nintendo never released an adapter for) for significantly less money. Sure, something could be put together for the PS2 or Xbox; but, again, component has proven to be good enough and is readily available.

Also, you asked about options for the Wii. I believe Citrus3000psi is wrapping up development on his GCDual HDMI boards, and will begin/continue development of a Wii variant afterward.
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer »

nmalinoski wrote:
GigaBoots wrote:My first thought after finishing this was "why hasn't someone made an HDMI mod for the PS2!"
Of course it's possible, but I think the reason we haven't seen much in the way of HDMI mods for PS2--or Xbox, for that matter--is that component and SCART have been satisfactory for a lot of people, as long as you get a first-party or properly shielded third-party cable, and they support digital audio natively.
The PS2 is very difficult to solder. IIRC it uses 8 bit parallel RGB, hence you will need to solder more than 24 wires to a 0.5mm pitch. I believe it is the same for PS1. A flex cable could make it feasible, but I am not sure how easy it is with the countless number of revisions the PS1 and PS2 received.

Also, I did some testing for PS1 and PAL did not use standard timing, which can make it incompatible with some TVs. I have not checked NTSC. This problem is fixable though.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

GigaBoots wrote: My first thought after finishing this was "why hasn't someone made an HDMI mod for the PS2!"
I plan to try and hook up an FPGA + ADV7513 to a ps2 at some point this year. I've got lots to learn on the FPGA side of things but still should make for a fun project.

Also, you asked about options for the Wii. I believe Citrus3000psi is wrapping up development on his GCDual HDMI boards, and will begin/continue development of a Wii variant afterward.
I do have a Wii version in the works. I plan to revisit the Wii in the month, after some of the coleco and gamecube stuff slows down.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Is anyone actually producing (for sale) a version of GCVideo with component out instead of HDMI? Can't seem to find one anywhere and it makes me sad. I have no use for HDMI :(
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Are you using a CRT?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

thebigcheese wrote:Is anyone actually producing (for sale) a version of GCVideo with component out instead of HDMI? Can't seem to find one anywhere and it makes me sad. I have no use for HDMI :(
With GCVideo 2.4, the FPGA handles both HDMI and Analog. There is no price savings to not include the HDMI, as its only the connector.

My internal GCDual outputs component. You could easily omit the HDMI. (You can always add it in later)
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

andykara2003 wrote:Are you using a CRT?
Yes. Citrus, where would I find your thing? I know Badass Consoles supposedly has some options as well, but I've seen enough shade thrown their way online to be hesitant. Plus they have no way to contact them and don't respond to tweets, so... Yeah.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

thebigcheese wrote:
andykara2003 wrote:Are you using a CRT?
Yes. Citrus, where would I find your thing? I know Badass Consoles supposedly has some options as well, but I've seen enough shade thrown their way online to be hesitant. Plus they have no way to contact them and don't respond to tweets, so... Yeah.
Just contact me directly. I have a pre order list, which I just started sending emails out. I'm doing installs and and selling kits.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I have a pre order list, which I just started sending emails out.
:shock: Awesome!
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

I should probably chime in that I love my GCDual :D. Definitely support citrus3000psi for his amazing work.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Bobster wrote:I should probably chime in that I love my GCDual :D. Definitely support citrus3000psi for his amazing work.
I put myself on the list. The mod looks super clean and gives RGB, component, and HDMI out. Plus the analog connections use the existing multi-out. What's not to like?
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

I'll get my GCDual this Fall / Winter, alongside the WiiDual when it's released..
Spidex761

Post by Spidex761 »

Hey citrus3000psi do you ever plan to sell any GCPlugs? My friends have been asking me ever since I showed them the one I built, but I do not want to keep building these for ppl as it was more of a fun project. The pins were a pain also to put in one by one. I found this on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-adapter-G ... FI9mRbWvjw

I told them you offer an internal dual solution as well. Just wondering what your thoughts are.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Spidex761 wrote:Hey citrus3000psi do you ever plan to sell any GCPlugs? My friends have been asking me ever since I showed them the one I built, but I do not want to keep building these for ppl as it was more of a fun project. The pins were a pain also to put in one by one. I found this on eBay:

I told them you offer an internal dual solution as well. Just wondering what your thoughts are.
I don't plan on selling any, I just don't want to get bogged down with with building plugs. That one on ebay is GCPlug, however the connector isn't made with nylon. Collingal has said that not using nylon for the plug will wear down faster. How long, I have no idea.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

citrus3000psi wrote:
Spidex761 wrote:Hey citrus3000psi do you ever plan to sell any GCPlugs? My friends have been asking me ever since I showed them the one I built, but I do not want to keep building these for ppl as it was more of a fun project. The pins were a pain also to put in one by one. I found this on eBay:

I don't plan on selling any, I just don't want to get bogged down with with building plugs. That one on ebay is GCPlug, however the connector isn't made with nylon. Collingal has said that not using nylon for the plug will wear down faster. How long, I have no idea.
But your GCMax looks so tasty! If you sold that, I probably wouldn't bother with the GCDual...
Spidex761

Post by Spidex761 »

citrus3000psi wrote:I don't plan on selling any, I just don't want to get bogged down with with building plugs. That one on ebay is GCPlug, however the connector isn't made with nylon. Collingal has said that not using nylon for the plug will wear down faster. How long, I have no idea.
Alright thanks! Are you ever going to come out with just a Component/Analog only solution? So like a GCPlug Component? One of my friends said he would prefer a component only external solution (kind of a purist as he considers that option would be the "closest" to the original cables lol). I told him about the GCMAX, but he said he is not interested in HDMI as it will never be used.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Spidex761 wrote:
citrus3000psi wrote:I don't plan on selling any, I just don't want to get bogged down with with building plugs. That one on ebay is GCPlug, however the connector isn't made with nylon. Collingal has said that not using nylon for the plug will wear down faster. How long, I have no idea.
Alright thanks! Are you ever going to come out with just a Component/Analog only solution? So like a GCPlug Component? One of my friends said he would prefer a component only external solution (kind of a purist as he considers that option would be the "closest" to the original cables lol). I told him about the GCMAX, but he said he is not interested in HDMI as it will never be used.
If I was to build an analog only solution, if would be identical to a GCMax but without the hdmi connector. There is no cost savings, as the tmds signals are generated from the fpga.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

citrus3000psi wrote:
Spidex761 wrote:
If I was to build an analog only solution, if would be identical to a GCMax but without the hdmi connector. There is no cost savings, as the tmds signals are generated from the fpga.
Do you sell the GCMax anywhere?