Post your flavor of the month VG music

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
FinalBaton

Re: Post your flavor of the month VG music

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL wrote:Aha, I was trying to recall if Furukawa worked on Verytex too! Definitely adds up!

And oh yeah, lots of room in my heart for cheerier stuff - firm believer in balancing out the apocalyptic pummelings now and then. :mrgreen: (don't wanna end up with NOTHING ELSE LEFT 2 DESTROY Image )
Yeah man! that's the way to do it *thumb's up* I also enjoy some cheerful beats now and again. Can't wage war 365 days a year, ya know :mrgreen:
BIL wrote:On the subject of old favourites and fan works, I've been revisiting this concept album for a new Konami-styled MSX shooter. First two tracks are impeccably melodic yet stoical ala Gradius 2 MSX. Last one is the silliest thing I've heard outside of Gradius III SFC's bonus stage, I love it Image

>"Colony"
>"Iceberg That Approaches"
>"Person Goes Forward"
Hey there was some great stuff in that "OST", enjoyed that a lot! That reminds me that I gotta get off my ass and learn how to compose for an FM synth chip(most likely YM2612 but maybe some others too) cuz I've got plenty of song ideas for FM synth game tunes. And the way I approach this to find inspiration is to make up a game in my mind(just the basic outline) and write a song for it. So without being a full OST for an hypotethical game, it'd be a bunch of tracks each belonging to a different hypotethical game. So it's a bit like that Koniami-esque MSX shmup OST, in a sense(but not quite)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Listened to Verytex. Excellent stuff! a pretty long one too. I liked it as much as Carat and Metal Orange. But since it's longer, it has more to offer.

Have you listened to Carat BIL, my nigga? :P
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yep! Very Puyo Puyo Tsuu - not the sort of thing I'd blast at high volume like some of Metal Orange's hammering choons, but just as impeccably catchy as I'd expect of someone with Furukawa's credentials. My favourite track was still the first you linked, BGM1, real toe-tapper. BGM5 would work great in a Twinbee/Cotton "cute 'em up" context - makes me think of a last rush to the end. The bassline is practically hitting a Steve Harris gallop, haha! BGM10 could've come straight out of Gradius III with the dynamic time shifts... it's a really substantial OST, not to be overlooked for its cutesy context.

(edit: speaking of Puyo Puyo, this guy's live set includes a bit of Tsuu music and just bangs in general)
Last edited by BIL on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Currently the Sunset Riders arcade ost. If I'm not listening to it while playing SR it has been on while playing Colt Express.
My lord, I have come for you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Revisiting an old favourite MSX soundtrack, Blaster Burn. Compile shooter that was released episodically via magazine-mounted floppy disks, IIRC. Has the heppest zako names "FAGTOR" and "GAYOU" plus "U-CAT" !

As far as I know, the closest thing to a straight OST rip on Youtube is this sampler, but it's a pretty decent representation (gamerips are out there). Catchy and frequently pretty goddamn intense! "The Holy Ghost" and especially "Blizzard" (tracks timestamped here) are straight out of Musha Aleste's screaming neoclassical metal inferno. Plaintively tuneful with a blistering heavy streak. That's how I like my oldschool shooter OSTs. Image Even a nice bit of old time rock & roll in there via "Go For A Drive" !
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Not enough SNES music with a rhythm banjo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7HHUItwAg
BIL

Post by BIL »

Genuine "sup motherfuckers" ragtime sound! Image Kojo Kondo had a knack for evoking vintage Americana music in his Mario and Zelda soundtracks.

Right in muh feels ;-;

Along similar lines, SM64's Rainbow Ride is a gem too.

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Live version courtesy of YouTube ragtime magician Tom Brier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffwVKDP8nzQ
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh wow, subscribed. :O Joyful performance.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Endless Duel OST for the SFC, by Hiroyuki Iwatsuki and Haruo Ohashi. Really good tunes here.
Since it never had an official release, here's a link to the whole soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufeKC1Nc2VE
Nice remix of Heavyarms: https://youtu.be/FQQm8bcrIvQ
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
BIL

Post by BIL »

Very cool OST indeed, and also just a cool game. The handling of the mechs is so satisfying, and the controls are so smooth, even the many 100%/infinite combos are easy to forgive. IIRC, every suit has them? Certainly most, which created an odd sort of balance. I can remember discovering the game in a ROM folder and it quickly becoming a minor favourite in my circle - we'd basically figure out the most broken stuff possible, then airdash around trying to be the first to land that fatal hit and subsequently light the enemy up like Christmas. Fun combo of high maneuverability and brutal punishment. Maybe more Hokuto no Ken than Gundam that way. :mrgreen: No mistaking the sense of piloting a hulking-yet-agile machine though.

I'd kill for a Ninja Warriors Again/Assault Suits Valken brawler/shooting hybrid using that engine. The booming presentation and mighty heft rival anything from the subsequent console generation, including Natsume's own Gundam fighters. Hell, this thing came out in 1996... technically it really was going toe-to-toe with the PS1 and Saturn's 2D offerings.

Heavyarms BGM was always my favourite, too. The stage rocked as well... I seem to recall that and Deathscythe's being my two favourites. They all look great, with some neat city/space/pastoral scenes, but it's those smouldering industrial warzones littered with ruined vehicles and aircraft that I really dug.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

My sister got me a SFC30 pad by 8bitdo for Christmas, the game plays wonders with it. :lol:
Fighting games are now more "accessible" to me.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://bandcamp.megadriver.com.br/album ... at-justice
Megadriver delivers awesome shmup tracks. 8)
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

soprano1 wrote:http://bandcamp.megadriver.com.br/album ... at-justice
Megadriver delivers awesome shmup tracks. 8)
Pretty good, I like their Double K.O. and Metalvania albums too.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Legit having chills listening to those two tracks by Yamanei-sama for the upcoming Bloodstained : Ritual of the Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok3LKNx_DIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2gzAUb8ArU
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

FinalBaton wrote:Legit having chills listening to those two tracks by Yamanei-sama for the upcoming Bloodstained : Ritual of the Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok3LKNx_DIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2gzAUb8ArU
Sounds great. I'm looking forward to the game.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yuzo Koshiro and Hideya Nagata's BOSCONIAN for X68000 OST. Image

Splendiferous

Fuckin

Work

Forgot just how good it was! Redolent of golden age Konami and Sega arcade soundtracks, particularly Gradius II and Galaxy Force II. Cybernetically funking basslines and spiralling harmonised hooks to spare. Fans of either sound will love this. If you like both your dick will spin around like a helicopter guaranteed. And damn if "Flash! Flash! Flash!" couldn't have come straight off Koshiro's own classic Ys I & II soundtracks, too. Positively elevating synth-rock.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That track (Flash Flash Flash) has always been one of the difining Koshiro tracks to me, Yamaha soundchippin' at its finest. Definitely a huge improvement over the otherwise great arcade game which was mostly silent with awkward unintelligeble voice snippets.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

BIL wrote:Yuzo Koshiro and Hideya Nagata's BOSCONIAN for X68000 OST. Image

Splendiferous

Fuckin

Work

Forgot just how good it was! Redolent of golden age Konami and Sega arcade soundtracks, particularly Gradius II and Galaxy Force II. Cybernetically funking basslines and spiralling harmonised hooks to spare. Fans of either sound will love this. If you like both your dick will spin around like a helicopter guaranteed. And damn if "Flash! Flash! Flash!" couldn't have come straight off Koshiro's own classic Ys I & II soundtracks, too. Positively elevating synth-rock.
Here's the vgm pack link: http://vgmrips.net/packs/pack/bosconian-sharp-x68000
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thanks! :smile:

Going on a little Japanese PC game music odyssey tonight, I think. I knew Star Trader would be great with zinger vouching for it, but man, it's something else. Kinda humbling how all this stuff is waiting out there to be heard, from the perspective of someone only passingly familiar with Japanese PC gaming. Blasted it from end to end, then instantly started again. "The Logic of Shooters" is a standout but the whole thing rocks. Adventurous and spacey yet impeccably grooving.

One of those OSTs that instantly works as a stand-alone listening experience, like my beloved Revolter and Starship Rendezvous.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Dragon Seeds has some delightful weirdpop.

Guardian (favorite track of ost)

Vs Battle (This marks the second time I've heard a jrpg memorably sample "We Will Rock You")

Battle on The Holy Plane
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Battle Mania 2 is one of the MD's best heavy metal-themed soundtracks outside of Tecno Soft canon. Killer powerchord & drum sound, some shimmering lead tones, and lots of rugged yet super-catchy tunes! Twilight Express is probably my favourite but there's a dozen others I could name. Just the attract BGM riff "Open Mind" is catchy as hell. Up there with Rolling Thunder 2 for a super-cute sound test screen, too.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yeah that one is crazy good. What impresses me the most is the balance between quirky/cheerful and heavy. Between power-pop and metal. I have never seen in my life an ost that balances the two as well, let alone have as much intensity on both front. That makes it truly unique. The power-pop tracks rock hard af as well.

There are a bunch of plain heavy metal OSTs out there. But ones like this? Not so much

One of my fave OST of all time for sure
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I was letting OSTs play on Youtube after listening to Dustin's hardware capture of Battle Mania 2, and his capture of Gauntlet IV, by our beloved Tengen, came up. Pretty cool stuff, Sortie has great french horns sound (get your Conan mood on :twisted: ). Epic! Same applies to Adventures in Iron. And Transparent Obstacle is damn slick yet brooding. Add some tense rockers in there and you've got a very interesting mix

EDIT : It's a Sakimoto/Iwata joint, so no surprises here
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

That one is killer, perhaps Sakimoto/Iwata's MD best - have you heard Bad Omen/Devilish? It's the only one I'd put against it. Similar combination of staggeringly heavy lows and crystalline highs.

March In The Dark's bassline makes me headbang when I'm in the right mood. :mrgreen: Transparent Obstacle is the show-stopper, though. Hoooly fuck. Whisper of Phantom is surprisingly effective in-game - I didn't rate its more ambient approach as highly as the others until getting stuck into the Quest Mode, whose sometimes disorientating towers have a slower, almost action/puzzler tone.

For a while I'd assumed the nameless track listed only as "..." was unused, but nope, it's right there in the sound test, and is actually used later on. While it's obviously a simpler composition, the depth and darkness of its sound really impresses me. Sounds like something off Joy Division or The Cure's more ambient turns, chilly synth!
Last edited by BIL on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Gonna have to check Bad Omen/Devilish!

It just hit me that Adventures in Iron is a clear tribute to the Terminator main theme. awesome

March in the Dark is a really cool adrenaline-fueled track that should fit intense action to a tee, I agree. I wish the unnamed song was longer, I see the coldwave connection. Whisper of Phantom has a lot of sounds in it that remind me of Phantasy Star IV ost.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Now that you mention it, the nameless song I linked above isn't a million miles from the metallic yet oddly emotive clank of Brad Fiedel's Terminator OST. :o

I always consider it the sign of a great MD OST, when you can use terms like "metallic" and mean it as a compliment. :mrgreen:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL wrote:I always consider it the sign of a great MD OST, when you can use terms like "metallic" and mean it as a compliment. :mrgreen:
You got damn right :mrgreen:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Speaking of heavier stuff - one of Sakimoto/Iwata (and Furukawa!)'s more brutal MD compositions, Verytex's Boss BGM (Type 1).

Reminds me a bit of PSIV's legendary "Laughter," actually. Nowhere as masterfully composed - can't beat the way Ippo keeps that murderfaced bass riff pulsing throughout, no matter how furiously the musical landscape roils - but the tone is similar, especially when those wicked synth waves arrive at around 45 seconds. Got a pretty relentless bass attack of its own too!