FALCOM Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
soprano1

Re: FALCOM Thread

Post by soprano1 »

Sumez wrote:Is it worth getting Tokyo Xanadu eX+ over the Vita version, or is the "eX+" just an attempt to market the more expensive PS4 version?
https://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/228179-toky ... ifferences
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

You coulda just said "yes" and I'd trust you :P
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Sumez wrote:You coulda just said "yes" and I'd trust you :P
When you have access to such a detailed answer, might as well share it. :wink:
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

To add to the above, my understanding is that the original doesn't have the "side story" chapters or the post-game "true ending" chapter, which is probably around a third of the content in eX+. Also, the combat system in the original is simpler, and it's easier (which is kind of eyebrow-raising; even in eX+, you'll need to forget healing items are in the game to get a meaningful challenge on Nightmare) and worse balanced.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Been replaying Ys Origin with the .ogg music files from Oath put in and I'm having a blast. I realized while playing through Hugo's arc that this is the game Devil May Cry 3 would have been, storywise, if it took itself completely seriously.

Thankfully DMC3 did not.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Ys 8 has a release date on Steam: January 30.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Obscura wrote:Ys 8 has a release date on Steam: January 30.
Yep: http://www.siliconera.com/2018/01/10/ys ... y-30-2018/
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

I'll be on work travel from Jan 20 through Feb 1st, but I know what I'll be playing as soon as I get back!
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Lemme know if the PC port runs like shit!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

NISA hired Durante to work on it, so I've got faith that they've got those issues worked out.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Just finished the "normal ending" of Tokyo Xanadu eX+ last night. I can only assume the plot twists in the last 8 hours were the result of someone sneaking some LSD into Falcom's drinking water -- even M. Night Shamylan would reject these as being too outlandish. Still, fun game, recommended to pretty much anyone who likes Falcom's style.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Obscura wrote:Just finished the "normal ending" of Tokyo Xanadu eX+ last night. I can only assume the plot twists in the last 8 hours were the result of someone sneaking some LSD into Falcom's drinking water -- even M. Night Shamylan would reject these as being too outlandish. Still, fun game, recommended to pretty much anyone who likes Falcom's style.
Prepare yourself for the delicious deus ex machina that is the true ending.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

BTW, does anyone know what the un-subbed Japanese stuff that the final boss is saying in her transitions between dragon form and little girl wizard form is?
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Just saw the true ending... what the hell was any of that?!?! "Oh, you want a happy ending, ok here's some random crap including the return of a midgame boss as the TLB with more HP, take your happy ending and be happy and ignore that none of it makes any damn sense!"
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Obscura wrote:Just saw the true ending... what the hell was any of that?!?! "Oh, you want a happy ending, ok here's some random crap including the return of a midgame boss as the TLB with more HP, take your happy ending and be happy and ignore that none of it makes any damn sense!"
Now go play After Story for Halloween stuff, then more dungeons with that shadowy kid from one of the side stories.
KAI

Post by KAI »

soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Hugo Fact is an asshole and a pain.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ys VIII was announced for Switch.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

soprano1 wrote:
Obscura wrote:Just saw the true ending... what the hell was any of that?!?! "Oh, you want a happy ending, ok here's some random crap including the return of a midgame boss as the TLB with more HP, take your happy ending and be happy and ignore that none of it makes any damn sense!"
Now go play After Story for Halloween stuff, then more dungeons with that shadowy kid from one of the side stories.
I ran through the free time quests after making that post. Will finish the rest tonight.

Funny thing -- if you change someone's costume in a dungeon, the game won't change it to anything more appropriate when school rolls around. This leads to hilarious screenshots such as:
Spoiler
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Don't forget the DLC swimsuits, even though there's no "beach episode" in this game. :lol:
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

I never buy costume DLC, but that makes me kinda wish that they gave you the "soaking in the hot springs" costumes for general usage :lol:

(Also, there's no beach scene, but there *is* the P.E. swimming/swimsuit scene.)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I would never pay for DLC costumes in any game, though an add-on that makes the Eternia girls in Ys VIII wear something decent would definitely be tempting.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:I would never pay for DLC costumes in any game, though an add-on that makes the Eternia girls in Ys VIII wear something decent would definitely be tempting.
All I want is some pants, a decent pair of pants
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Welp, doesn't look like I'll be beating the Tokyo Xanadu after story. No idea what the hell they want me to do against this final boss, as soon as it summons its elementals the camera goes crazy and one hit wipes my entire party.

EDIT: Went ahead and item-spammed through it. There's really no other way; lots of the final boss's attacks are clearly not meant to be dodgeable, and the way he can just chain-attack characters to death is pretty much total bullshit. What a sorry ending. The game would have been much better off without any of the True End/After Story content, it's all basically garbage (and the normal ending is actually the most satisfying one TBH).
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

what button configuration do you guys use for origin? i'm finding that with hugo it's much more important to switch between special weapons during boss fights and i have been using a saturn usb pad with attack, jump and special set to a,b,c in that order and weapon switch on r. i've been playing mostly using my fingers on my right hand rather than my thumb so i can keep my special charging while still jumping and attacking freely, but this makes it a bit tricky to switch weapons.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

I play on an X360 pad, so I've got plenty of buttons. I do swap "next spell" with "charge spell", though, so that I can have charge spell on a shoulder button to keep it charged easier; as a result, "previous spell" is on LB and "next spell" is on a face button, but whatevs.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Nice! I'm happy that more people will get to enjoy this one
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

I believe that that'll put every "modern" Falcom action-oriented game on Steam?

A bit bittersweet, that. On one hand, WOOOOO, more Falcom! On the other hand, man, having to wait for new games to get both developed and translated (and, probably, ported as well) is going to be brutal.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I've been trying to play the PC-88 version of the first Ys, but the various emulators all seem to play the music at different speeds... assuming this is correct, the BGM is much too slow in M88; faster in XM8, but still slow; and likewise for MAME's PC-88 driver (which is marked NOT_WORKING, but whatever). X88000 has audio emulation, but I couldn't hear anything when I tried it in that one. (EDIT: seems FM sound was never implemented; the author includes it on a to-do list, but the last release was in August 2016.)

QUASI88 boots to BASIC but wouldn't load the disk for whatever reason. Tried write-protecting it to see if it was a copy-protection issue. Still nothing.

And yes, I've already played the PC Engine version.

Interestingly enough, X88000 is the only one of these that displays incorrect colors when Ys is played in V2 mode. It's probably just differences in the default settings, but I really would like to be sure...

EDIT: I see now that, assuming the source is accurate, "Open Your Heart" only plays at the right speed in blueMSX when in PAL mode, and even then it's at the wrong pitch... I'd really like to know what's up.

EDIT 2: Nothing in M88 appears to correct the speed of the game (or even just the music). Emulating memory or FDD wait slows the game down to a crawl despite it sounding like it should fix the problem. Maybe the OST was recorded on an 88VA or later? (Higher CPU, memory, and VRAM would suggest a faster in-game speed...)

EDIT 3: This video of the Ys II opening playing on a PC-8801 mkIIFR disproves my hypothesis. Hmm...

EDIT 4: "First Step Toward Wars" and "Palace" play at the correct speed on most emulators, even if "Feena" and "Fountain of Love" do not. So... while not perfect, I'll have to settle for one of these, whether because I have an issue with my setup or because no one has been able to get those two themes right, however unlikely the latter case may be.

EDIT 5: X Millennium's rendition of "Open Your Heart" matches the recording. I'm guessing it was a porting issue.

EDIT 6: QUASI88's rendition of "Feena" and "Fountain of Love" match up with this recording. All good.
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire