2001 Xbox YPbPr output over a SCART cable possible?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Logan Jones

2001 Xbox YPbPr output over a SCART cable possible?

Post by Logan Jones »

I want to buy a high-quality cable for my original Xbox, but the original component cables for the Xbox are expensive, and they're only going to climb up in price. Third-party cables are an option, but I've heard that they are poorly made with bad shielding and audio buzz. For sale on Retro Gaming Cables UK is a high-quality SCART cable that can output RGB, as well as sync-on-green.

I want to know whether or not this cable can also carry YPbPr component video out of it, and I don't care about sync-on-green resolutions like 480p and higher. All I want is a high-quality component signal to my SD CRT television. For me, all I would have to do is attach a SCART head to Component RCA jack adapter to my cable output, and BAM! Good quality component video to my TV.

BTW, if there is a way for a SCART cable to output component video with 480p and higher, then tell me that too.
nmalinoski

Re: 2001 Xbox YPbPr output over a SCART cable possible?

Post by nmalinoski »

Logan Jones wrote:I want to buy a high-quality cable for my original Xbox, but the original component cables for the Xbox are expensive, and they're only going to climb up in price. Third-party cables are an option, but I've heard that they are poorly made with bad shielding and audio buzz. For sale on Retro Gaming Cables UK is a high-quality SCART cable that can output RGB, as well as sync-on-green.

I want to know whether or not this cable can also carry YPbPr component video out of it, and I don't care about sync-on-green resolutions like 480p and higher. All I want is a high-quality component signal to my SD CRT television. For me, all I would have to do is attach a SCART head to Component RCA jack adapter to my cable output, and BAM! Good quality component video to my TV.

BTW, if there is a way for a SCART cable to output component video with 480p and higher, then tell me that too.
Looking at the Xbox's AV port schematics, it looks like you could get component over a SCART cable by ungrounding pin 17 (although, where RGC grounds that pin in that cable, I don't know).

That said, I would suggest getting in touch with RGC; they may be willing to build you a straight component cable.

Also note that, by foregoing the official Xbox HD Pack, you also forego digital audio (assuming it matters to you).
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Logan Jones wrote:I want to buy a high-quality cable for my original Xbox, but the original component cables for the Xbox are expensive, and they're only going to climb up in price. Third-party cables are an option, but I've heard that they are poorly made with bad shielding and audio buzz. For sale on Retro Gaming Cables UK is a high-quality SCART cable that can output RGB, as well as sync-on-green.

This page has some info that you will need:

https://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/xbox.htm

The gist is that you don't want PIN17 grounded. This will allow you to have YPbPr output over an RGB cable. You could ask retrogaming cables to make a you a special cable or do some special wiring inside the console.
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

Thanks for the info, guys! BTW, how would I make such a request to RGC for making a special component cable? And how much would it cost?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Logan Jones wrote:Thanks for the info, guys! BTW, how would I make such a request to RGC for making a special component cable? And how much would it cost?
I would purchase the Xbox RGB cable and in the comments, say you do NOT want pin 17 grounded. Then after placing the order follow up with an email, to make sure they saw your request.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Logan Jones wrote:Thanks for the info, guys! BTW, how would I make such a request to RGC for making a special component cable? And how much would it cost?
Their website has a contact form you can use.
citrus3000psi wrote:I would purchase the Xbox RGB cable and in the comments, say you do NOT want pin 17 grounded. Then after placing the order follow up with an email, to make sure they saw your request.
It would be really neat if the RGB/SCART cable could be fit with a switch for pin 17, so it could be switched between RGBS and YPbPr; then it could still be used as a regular RGB cable.
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

There's this new Xbox HDMI cable that came out recently:

https://www.amazon.com/HD-Link-Cable-Or ... +xbox+hdmi

Does anyone have any info on it? Like, is it well made and won't fry the system?
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

The official OEM Xbox component cables are pocket change in terms of price compared to the official Nintendo GameCube component cables.
edcor

Post by edcor »

I know this is an old thread, but just incase it is still relevant to you or anyone else.

I've been able to get 480P, 720P and 1080i output in YPbPr over scart on my OSSC with a small mod to the RGB scart cable that I got with my OSSC. Even though it's a relatively cheap cable I haven't had any issues so far with noisy video or audio buzz.

All I did was remove the ground wire between pins 5 and 17 as per the diagram here (https://gamesx.com/avpinouts/xbox.htm) and then I wired in a small switch so if I need RGB for any reason I can toggle between them.

PixelPhoenix

Post by PixelPhoenix »

GeneraLight wrote:The official OEM Xbox component cables are pocket change in terms of price compared to the official Nintendo GameCube component cables.
Given that the Carby exists, I'm not sure why anyone would opt to pay the premium that official GameCube component cables go for anyway. In that regard, the Xbox cable commands roughly the same price - not outrageous, but also somewhat expensive.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

PixelPhoenix wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:The official OEM Xbox component cables are pocket change in terms of price compared to the official Nintendo GameCube component cables.
Given that the Carby exists, I'm not sure why anyone would opt to pay the premium that official GameCube component cables go for anyway. In that regard, the Xbox cable commands roughly the same price - not outrageous, but also somewhat expensive.
Collector's item. Plus some may prefer to use the official Nintendo GameCube component cables for their GameCube.