Late realizations

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Stevens

Re: Late realizations

Post by Stevens »

All the spaceships and lasers in that one thread are DICKS?!
My lord, I have come for you.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

I've recently realized that "POTUS" is short for "President Of The United States", and isn't some weird organization I haven't heard of.

I feel like an idiot.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Don't feel bad. People love to casually throw out acronyms and initialisms without explaining them in the first instance - no longer is it restricted to business bullshit speak. It's incredibly frustrating and you shouldn't feel like an idiot because others use language poorly.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

It also took me a while to realize what POTUS meant and that it wasn't an organization, especially given how it seemed to have popped out of nowhere during the last presidential elections. It could be due to me not following US news that much, but I don't think I ever saw that acronym before, so having it be everywhere all of a sudden without any explanation was quite confusing.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Just popping in here to say ditto.
kitten

Post by kitten »

so, comic books often use this yellow text box to indicate inner thought or notes from the narrator, right? you'll frequently see these used to advertise upcoming issues of the comic to you, where they'll tease something really interesting, and then they'll follow it up "- 'nuff said." it took me many years to understand that it was an abbreviation for "enough said," and that there was not some ubiquitous comic book god named "nuff" who for some reason knew everything that was going to happen. i think i saw these reading the sonic the hedgehog comics in the grocery store, and i always wondered who he was.

i also used to think that coat-hanger was "cohanger" and that windshield was "winshield" and didn't realize they were compound words that formed their practical purpose until i was a teenager.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I thought the same about "Nuff" when I was a teenager trying to improve my English by reading comic books and game magazines. I figured he was some sort of Mr. Plinkett-like character (from Red Letter Media), or a distant relative of the Addams. Or the Noid's brother, too.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

I just found out that Barkley 2 is (was? going to be?) a thing.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

You can tiptoe through trap doors in Prince of Persia.

Always wondered how people beat the slowdown-ridden Apple ][ version...
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BIL

Post by BIL »

WelshMegalodon wrote:You can tiptoe through trap doors in Prince of Persia.
Do you mean spike traps? That definitely works. As for pressure plates and falling panels, I've only played the IBM PC and SFC versions, but AFAIK in both if you tiptoe onto them you'll suffer the consequences. I could be wrong though, not the most hardcore player of either (let alone the million other ports/revisions). Interestingly, both will buffet you back if you try tiptoeing onto a falling plate, but if you persist they'll let you through to whatever awaits.

I recently learned from zinger that the SFC version was by the devs of the PC98 one, which was a straight port. As cool as the SFC game's new content is, a straight conversion of the shorter DOS game in that engine does sound good.

For my part, I had no idea as a kid that you could save on DOS. POP was pre-installed on our family PC, no disks or manuals and I was too young to comprehend such things as readme.txt (and afraid of messing about with all the scary function keys and fucking something up). Never did see the end, got pretty close though! Later, long after the PC bit the dust (I was a shit young DOS user, never thought to back up POP), I saw a writer exasperatedly comment "it'd be like trying to finish Prince of Persia in a single sitting" and went WUUT.

All that replaying of earlier stages is probably how I figured out the safe spike trap thing. Image
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm assuming he means the body-cleaving snapping metal doors? Cause I'm pretty sure you can't even beat the game without walking through at least one spike trap.
In fact, you don't even need to tip-toe through the spike traps - as long as it has already popped, you are allowed to run through it at full speed. Game is realistic, yo!

Damn, I love Prince of Persia so much. It feels like a game that should be far outside of my comfort zone, but it's so brilliantly designed you'd be a madman not to adore it.

I also didn't realise you could save in the DOS version until long after I had completed it. I feel like the game is designed entirely around single sitting sessions due to the overarching time limit. I would play it through over and over until I'd learned the fastest route through every stage - once you do that, it's actually an extremely fast game, and the one hour is pretty generous.
In the SFC version you can keep playing after the time runs out, for the practice, but you won't get to face the final boss. I don't remember if the DOS version does something similar, but I think it just ends.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

With all the things MAME emulates that aren't arcade systems it'd be more accurate now and not even a joke by any means to call it MEME.

Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator

It's so right you don't even need to think about it. Also memedev.org, memeworld.info
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Er.....uh.....always thought Hyper Duel was Saturn only and that I would probably never be able to play it.

Discovered last night that it was in fact released in the arcades.

30 seconds later it was in my Mame folder.
BIL

Post by BIL »

The port's Saturn Mode is definitely worth trying if you like the AC version. Graphically polished up, makes some small but valuable tweaks (the st3 boss's bullets are no longer destructible, so you can't just smother him in return fire), and most notably of all you can lock the mech's aim for Shock Troopers-style strafing. Plays much more aggressively as a result, get all up in their grill and let the fuck rip with your greyhound-sized assault rifle.

Probably not worth acquiring a Saturn disc for alone, but there are other methods. Image
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BIL wrote:but there are other methods. Image
Which would be an option - except I am fucking retarded when it comes to setting up CD based emulators. Does HD emulate well enough that it will be worth the trouble?

The little bit of research I did on Saturn EMU last night convinced me to not bother, but if it runs well then I'll give it a shot.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm pretty clueless on even the most garden-variety emulation, unfortunately - more involved stuff like Saturn is way over my head. :mrgreen: Last I heard Mednafen was looking promising, but the last time I emulated Saturn was a good five years back via SSF (specifically 011 Alpha R5, according to my dusty old SS emu folder). Other than my ancient potato wired to a bathtub of V8 juice setup struggling to keep up, it ran goodies like HD and Taromaru pretty nicely.

I'd hit up WelshMegalodon, he's into the whole emu thing IIRC. Once bugged me to update my creaky old setup but I can't be arsed. Image

Outside of emulation, there's also modchipping + backups, or the recent Rhea Saturn thing that lets you run images off SD card. I'm getting one of those at some point myself, optical drives are way too much of a liability in the long-term. Obviously more of an investment but they kill emu woes dead.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I'll give your EMU set up a shot since it works:D Rhea isn't an option - I sold my Saturn and Mega Drive a few years back. Don't regret it mind you - space here is at a premium.

Thanks as always.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Stevens wrote:Which would be an option - except I am fucking retarded when it comes to setting up CD based emulators. Does HD emulate well enough that it will be worth the trouble?
Saturn emulation is easy! If your machine can handle Mednafen, all you'll need are the relevant BIOS dumps and warez. Initial setup takes maybe five minutes:

1. Put the BIOS files in the 'firmware' folder.
2. Drag the .cue file of the disc image onto the executable (or run it via command line, whatever).
3. Press Alt + Shift + 1 to configure your controller.
4. That's it, you're in!

You can also dig around in the .cfg file for things like fine-tuning the aspect ratio and tweaking the simple CRT shader, but there aren't any plugins and nothing you change in there is likely to mess up your game. All the options are documented on their website, too.

Mednafen's Saturn emulation is still a work-in-progress, so there might still be the occasional audio or video bug, but it usually won't be your fault unless you have a bad dump.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Thanks WM. I spent 90 minutes trying to get SSF running yesterday before giving up. I got as far as the Saturn menu but nothing would load.

I'll give this a shot a report back. Either way thanks!

EDIT - Aww..a little research has shown me there ain't no way my laptop is running this. Thanks again.
BIL

Post by BIL »

DR BIRUFORD aka WOKEST MUHFUCKA ON THA TEAM wrote:Decided to look up "Miracle Mineral Solution," as it's been hovering around various news sites lately. And holy fuck - I thought this was gonna be some relatively harmless, binaural beats-esque quackery. :| Turns out, it's depressing and horrific! rofl! TLDR: desperate parents are giving their autistic kids bleach enemas to "flush out the parasites causing autism." PROTIP: a bleach enema will make you shit out your sloughed-off intestinal lining. Because it's fucking bleach. Trust me I'm a plumber. The scammers refer to these as "rope worms," and soon enough a vicious cycle is established. This is some scientology-grade industrialised hucksterism. Image
Back in the news again, now in Britfordshire. 3;
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Holy fuck... how dumb can you be to willingly inject bleach in your kid :cry:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

FinalBaton wrote:Holy fuck... how dumb can you be to willingly inject bleach in your kid :cry:
Maybe they're not dumb, but suffer from Münchhausen by proxy?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Seems like classic scammers preying on the desperate, at a glance. I was genuinely shocked when I looked it up, I was expecting some homeopathic dilution bollocks. This is untrammeled medieval brutality.

And there's these other nutjobs who drink friggin turpentine, as in paint stripper. :|
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Stevens wrote:Thanks WM. I spent 90 minutes trying to get SSF running yesterday before giving up. I got as far as the Saturn menu but nothing would load.

I'll give this a shot a report back. Either way thanks!

EDIT - Aww..a little research has shown me there ain't no way my laptop is running this. Thanks again.
BizHawk has good Saturn emulation these days, using a Mednafen core, and is much easier to use than SSF, so maybe give that a try.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Realized not only have I been applying deodorant slightly wrong (out to in, instead of up to down), but up to down application is literally designed to be the easiest shit ever.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

KennyMan666 wrote:BizHawk has good Saturn emulation these days, using a Mednafen core, and is much easier to use than SSF, so maybe give that a try.
His computer isn't powerful enough to run Mednafen.

EDIT: TIL...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-xfy-0RPMw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-DZQ80vEVI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xRr_7o ... e=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HWQVSV ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LDsQqP ... e=youtu.be
https://youtu.be/pL_2JVjWh9k?t=1h8m10s

And I think we all know this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tELmpYc ... e=youtu.be
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

The music playing over the Logan trailer is Johnny Cash covering a Nine Inch Nails song.

It's kind of jarring how well the lyrics fit his style. Nothing's shocking forever.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The use of that cover in the trailer is the most cringeworthy cliche choice next to using Gary Jules' cover of Mad World for anything. However, as much as I was cringing over the choice when the trailer came out, it did give off a comfortable idea of a movie that wanted to be a little more than just a superhero movie.

Also, if you have never heard the Johnny Cash cover of Hurt before that, I take my hat off to you. Good job, that's probably harder than avoiding "Last Christmas" during christmas time. :P

That said, it's of course a great cover, and the best track out of the album of cover versions it was recorded for. I was at a funeral for a friend, around 10-15 years ago where someone played and sang that particular version on an accoustic guitar, it was a very touching moment.
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

Mischief Maker wrote:The music playing over the Logan trailer is Johnny Cash covering a Nine Inch Nails song.

It's kind of jarring how well the lyrics fit his style. Nothing's shocking forever.
My friend flat-out refused to believe that song was Johnny Cash covering NIN, he was convinced NIN's version must have been covering Cash – even when presented with evidence. That's how well it fits his style.
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

BIL

Post by BIL »

Even having been mad for NIN in my wild and crazy middle school days - "FUCK YOU DAD" 凸(;`ω´;) - I chop the sissy-ass NIN ver off TDS now, so it ends with the title track for MAXIMUM IMPACT

PROBLEMS DO HAVE SOLUTIONS, YOU KNOW (oh ye liek what, killin urself lmao?! Image)
A LIFETIME OF FUCKING THINGS UP FIXED IN ONE DETERMINED FLASH (OH HELL NAWWW, HE RLY KILL HESELF :shock:)

OTOH the outro is genuinely pretty satisfying still. Bwaaaaow. edit: And that one dude choking up in the audience @ AATCHB Live DVD is pretty real too! I wonder what his deal was. More than one "FYD" said in anger there too I'd guess. :sad:
Last edited by BIL on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.