XRGB-mini Framemeister

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Kez

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister

Post by Kez »

chadti99 wrote:Hello, any ideas what would cause this pattern on solid colors?
It looks like a cable issue to me. Are you sure you are using a csync cable? It is very reminiscent of the composite video interference that is quite common on SNES RGB.

Where is the cable from?
chadti99

Post by chadti99 »

From Retro-Access, looking back through my email they called it a raw sync cable.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Well raw sync and csync usually mean the same thing, so it should be a csync cable (unless it's a pal snes).

Could also be a power issue - are you using an official power brick or third party? Or are there any other devices nearby that might be causing interference? Try setting it up with the bare minimum - just TV, FM/OSSC and SNES all plugged straight into the wall if possible and see if the issue persists.
FBX

Post by FBX »

chadti99 wrote:Agreed, it's weird because the image shows up on my mobile device. Can you see it now?
Still cannot see it. Can you make it a URL link? All I see is the word "image".
Kez

Post by Kez »

I saw it earlier but now it's gone again.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Been seeing it fine on my phone all weekend.
https://cvws.icloud-content.com/CAEQARo ... NufOe-Yjr0
FBX

Post by FBX »

Syntax wrote:Been seeing it fine on my phone all weekend.
https://cvws.icloud-content.com/CAEQARo ... NufOe-Yjr0
Unauthorized. I guess it only shows up for those with cloud accounts?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Feeling festive. Here ya go.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Okay so that looks a heck of a lot like the interference in the APU revision SNES, where lifting pin 3 of the PPU 2 will clear the picture up, but at the cost of losing composite video. Still, chances are if you're using RGB, you don't care about anything less. Unfortunately it's not something the average joe can do unless they are brave and willing to try it it.
Harpo1967

Post by Harpo1967 »

I'm using Firebrandx profiles for my RGB 2600. Video Pinball does not work, well the cartridge works but not via RGB and the Frameister. I think I saw elsewhere thatit's an issue with only a small # of 2600 games. Is there a fix or am I just going to have to settle on s-video for a few select titles?
FBX

Post by FBX »

Harpo1967 wrote:I'm using Firebrandx profiles for my RGB 2600. Video Pinball does not work, well the cartridge works but not via RGB and the Frameister. I think I saw elsewhere thatit's an issue with only a small # of 2600 games. Is there a fix or am I just going to have to settle on s-video for a few select titles?
I recall this coming up before, and apparently some Atari 2600 games use bizarre positioning that is out of bounds for the Framemeister. Patches have been made for various games meant specifically to fix this, so you might want to check around on that.
Harpo1967

Post by Harpo1967 »

I don't have a Harmony cart to try different versions of the game. Only the cartridge. I guess for now I'll just have to know I may run into a cart that won't work. As long as it isn't anything wrong with the equipment I guess I'm okay with it.
ewilly

Post by ewilly »

Hey guys. First post here. I know what i would consider to be a lot about the frameister. Im a union electrician and one of the things we commonly do for sensative electronics is run a outlet with its own homerun, unshared neutral, and an isolated ground. Cleans up dirty power, bad harmonics, and high frequencys. Wondering if this may clean up the npise the frameister intoduces. Maybe a ferrite clamp for the hell of it. Btw why is british english the only language on this forum? Im in the u.s. am i solo here with 60hz ntsc lol?
FBX

Post by FBX »

ewilly wrote:Wondering if this may clean up the npise the frameister intoduces. Maybe a ferrite clamp for the hell of it.
The noise in the FM is conversion-based, not dirty power. There was one 'troll' that claimed otherwise, but nobody else has ever been able to get rid of the noise using different power supplies.

At any rate, bumping the thread for a minor update to the profiles:

1080p profiles for N64 4x and 5x have been updated. S-Video was calibrated for each and set as the default input. For those using RGB, they can switch to RGB after loading and then re-save the profiles as needed. The RGB input has also been updated for these profiles as well (mostly just some minor corrections).
TheShadowRunner

Post by TheShadowRunner »

Did anyone ever try to rewire the RGB21-end of the selecty21 output cable to (EURO) SCART?
I'd like to use its 3 inputs with my official euro cables as-is and just rewire the output to Euro scart (or ideally directly to the Framemeister)
Or does the inner working of the selecty21 prevent that, as it's expecting certain signals on certain pins at all?
Seeing as it's not powered, I'm not sure..
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

TheShadowRunner wrote:Did anyone ever try to rewire the RGB21-end of the selecty21 output cable to (EURO) SCART?
I'd like to use its 3 inputs with my official euro cables as-is and just rewire the output to Euro scart (or ideally directly to the Framemeister)
Or does the inner working of the selecty21 prevent that, as it's expecting certain signals on certain pins at all?
If you're already using SCART for consoles, it makes the most sense to use a SCART switch like a gscartsw or a Hydra with a SCART->Framemeister DIN adapter, which I believe you can get from either Retro Access or Retro Gaming Cables.

You likely can't use SCART with this switch anyway; the pinouts between SCART and JP-21 are too different, and I would assume the input sockets on the Selecty 21 are soldered directly to a PCB and thus cannot be rewired.

If you really did want to use the Selecty 21, the product page says it either comes with a cable that lets you input directly into the Framemeister, or one is at least available.
TheShadowRunner

nmalinoski wrote:and I would assume the input sockets on the Selecty 21 are soldered directly to a PCB and thus cannot be rewired.
Hmm good point. Yeah in a nutshell I need to see one disassembled before anything...
Kez

Post by Kez »

TheShadowRunner wrote:Did anyone ever try to rewire the RGB21-end of the selecty21 output cable to (EURO) SCART?
So you want it to input SCART and output SCART? I thought the main draw of the Selecty21 was the fact that it does JP21, you're probably just better off getting a proper SCART switch.
ghairat

Post by ghairat »

So I have the same issue as the other user has with his framemeister and picture quality. I will try to explain my situation precisely. All of my cables come from the website retrogamingcables and I have their Csync euroscart sync separator and all of my RGB cables are wired up for csync. When I play my Super famicom or regular famicom, the picture quality on solid colors is bad. The image is noisy. I am using Firebrandx profiles and the power adapter that is connected to my framemeister is my PSP power adapter.

Can someone help me?
TheShadowRunner

Kez wrote:So you want it to input SCART and output SCART?
That's right.
I thought the main draw of the Selecty21 was the fact that it does JP21, you're probably just better off getting a proper SCART switch.
Well another draw is the build quality and the fact it's powerless.. but yes I need to see the insides first for sure..
Kez

Post by Kez »

TheShadowRunner wrote:Well another draw is the build quality and the fact it's powerless.. but yes I need to see the insides first for sure..
Yeah that's fair enough.. I think the main issue you're going to run into is that some of the ground pins are in different places between JP21 and SCART, they will probably feed into one and then on the output it will be the opposite. This means some of the pins you need will have no direct link at all on the PCB.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Has anyone here happened to make a profile for an RGB modded colecovision? Or even one based on the composite mods out there for it?
ewilly

Post by ewilly »

So i wanted to calibrate the xrgbs color settings to match my tv exactly so that it would act only as a line multiplier, the same way the ossc functions.

First i calibrated my tv using the built in test patterns on xbox1.
I double checked using test patterns on youtube for brighness, contrast, and color clipping. I triple checked with thx optimizer. The xbox1 calibration seemed to be very accurate.
Next I hooked up the framemister through the xbox360 with microsoft componet cables and used youtube and thx optimizer. I repeated this with an official svideo, and composite. With every resolution available
Next i hooked up the ps3, used youtube and thx optimizer with official sony componet, RGB, and svideo cables. Tried all resolutions
Lastly i checked ps2 with thx optimizer using sony componet, rgb, and svideo cables.

Here were the results:
Componet:
Brightness 27
Gamma 0
Saturation 25
A/D level 131

Rgb/svid/composite:
Brightness 26
Gamma 0
A/D level 128

The results from these match my tv almost exactly, other than the noise and color clipping issues that appear to be unfixable. All unlisted values are left at default.
ewilly

Post by ewilly »

made fullscreen, aspect ratio corrected, perfectly scaled profiles with the color settings mentioned above.
all the techniques to make these and profile descriptions are included in the folder. These profiles should
interpolate nicely to a 4k tv. they aren't as clear as FBX profiles, but they are still pixel perfect. "Some profiles
use 480p output." Perfect pixels are just as important to me, but clarity vs utilizing the whole tv screen we seem to be on different sides. Also I prefer the output of each console to be displayed as the system would naturally color wise, with no
further adjustments. Thanks all you guys for teaching me enough to make profiles I'm happy with. If nobody downloads
mine its no skin off my back. I just wanted to host them for any of the other wierdo's like me who
would prefer full screen over clarity.

Here is the link:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 2119075450

Constructive critisism welcome
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Help, iv got no sound on my new Qled 4k tv using XRGB mini ?

Ive checked everything, works perfect on my old HDTV ?

Any ideas what i can do to get sound again. Picture is amazing but without sound its killed it.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Chaz wrote:Help, iv got no sound on my new Qled 4k tv using XRGB mini ?

Ive checked everything, works perfect on my old HDTV ?
Possibly check and make sure your TV's own deep color mode isn't turned on. I've heard reports that can cause issues, including loss of sound from the FM.
ballyalley

Post by ballyalley »

Hi, I'm hoping this is an okay place to post a Framemeister question (I followed a link from the Framemeister Wikipedia page).

I just recently got a Framemeister XRGB-Mini. I'm happy with it so far. On various game systems the colors are off and I'll like to adjust them, but I can't seem to do it. My current setup is an Atari 130XE home computer hooked up via composite to the Framemeister. I am using a simple color bar generator program to judge how to make the adjustments. This program works great on a CRT TV when I want to adjust a TVs settings. The colors from the Atari are WAY off (greens are blues, purples are browns, other colors are just plain wrong) and the picture is too dark. How do I make color adjustments?

First off, my firmware version is 2.03a. My PCB version is 1.3. Here's how I'm trying to adjust the colors:

1) Press Menu
2) Select Color_Set
3) Choices here are Brightness, Gamma, Hue, Saturation, Red, Green, Blue and Sharpness. I can adjust everything here but Red, Green and Blue. I can select those three choices, but the adjustments are gray-out.

How can I make it so that Red, Green and Blue are adjustable in the menu?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Adam
Haired

Post by Haired »

ewilly wrote: First i calibrated my tv using the built in test patterns on xbox1.
I double checked using test patterns on youtube for brighness, contrast, and color clipping. I triple checked with thx optimizer. The xbox1 calibration seemed to be very accurate.
This method is highly inaccurate. Your eyes constantly adapt to ambient lightning and color so your perception of TV image would change dramatically every time.
You should use calibrator or colorimeter in that case. You'll be amazed by the difference.
Kez

Post by Kez »

ballyalley wrote:How can I make it so that Red, Green and Blue are adjustable in the menu?
They are only adjustable when using RGB inputs
Last edited by Kez on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
FBX

Post by FBX »

ballyalley wrote:Hi, I'm hoping this is an okay place to post a Framemeister question (I followed a link from the Framemeister Wikipedia page).

I just recently got a Framemeister XRGB-Mini. I'm happy with it so far. On various game systems the colors are off and I'll like to adjust them, but I can't seem to do it. My current setup is an Atari 130XE home computer hooked up via composite to the Framemeister. I am using a simple color bar generator program to judge how to make the adjustments. This program works great on a CRT TV when I want to adjust a TVs settings. The colors from the Atari are WAY off (greens are blues, purples are browns, other colors are just plain wrong) and the picture is too dark. How do I make color adjustments?

First off, my firmware version is 2.03a. My PCB version is 1.3. Here's how I'm trying to adjust the colors:

1) Press Menu
2) Select Color_Set
3) Choices here are Brightness, Gamma, Hue, Saturation, Red, Green, Blue and Sharpness. I can adjust everything here but Red, Green and Blue. I can select those three choices, but the adjustments are gray-out.

How can I make it so that Red, Green and Blue are adjustable in the menu?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Adam
Since you're using composite, you won't have access to RGB adjustments. You'll need to try the "HUE" option to see if you can swing the colors into proper alignment. It should be noted that Hue had been pretty well centered on the FM at the factory default setting, so it's strange for your colors to be so far off hue like that.