The Game of Bad Game Music

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
kitten

Re: The Game of Bad Game Music

Post by kitten »

one of the weirdest & worst games i've ever played (and saw through, all the way to the end) was captain ED on the famicom. absolutely bizarre pseudo-shmup where you fly over a bunch of panels that you can open up to occasionally find weird mini-games or password screens or all sorts of nonsense. the game has some kind of tongue-in-cheek rock & roll space adventures theme to it, including musical minigames and david bowie-themed bosses -

seriously, look at this. he's actually on the back of the box if you get it complete (i didn't, but you could!).

the rock & roll theme this game places upon itself makes it horrid music that much worse, and good god will you be listening to a few of the tracks for absurd amounts of time while you play through this mess. the base game's levels only have like 3 tracks shared between them, and you have to cycle through them by shooting a radio or something, iirc. keep in mind this was a late '89 game, too. other rock-themed kusoge like seikima II's game (also recommended bizarre trash game with collectible klansmen with reverse crosses printed on them - based on a real heavy metal band that is actually pretty fun and has a cool history, too) at least came out in like, '86, thus having some sort of excuse for their piercing noise.

skip around this longplay to get a sense for what i'm talking about. or maybe skip to this time and see how great this music goes with the screeching sfx.

if for some reason this crock of nonsense appeals to you to the point you seek it out to play it for yourself (i had no idea what i was getting myself into when i bought it, and it was admittedly quite a ride), make sure you look up a guide and take snapshots of the password screens with your phone. there's a part where you've got to send a couple of specific items over to a guy to get to the ending, and the final boss will cause the entire game to end if you fail on them, whereas other bosses i think just restart the level.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Is this one of those games where everyone tosses money into a pot, and the last person who leaves the room wins it all?

How about Hydlide? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tk2fhCj_bw
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

No mention of CrazyBus title bgm? That one is the most terrible.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

kitten wrote:one of the weirdest & worst games i've ever played (and saw through, all the way to the end) was captain ED on the famicom. absolutely bizarre pseudo-shmup where you fly over a bunch of panels that you can open up to occasionally find weird mini-games or password screens or all sorts of nonsense. the game has some kind of tongue-in-cheek rock & roll space adventures theme to it, including musical minigames and david bowie-themed bosses -

seriously, look at this. he's actually on the back of the box if you get it complete (i didn't, but you could!).

the rock & roll theme this game places upon itself makes it horrid music that much worse, and good god will you be listening to a few of the tracks for absurd amounts of time while you play through this mess. the base game's levels only have like 3 tracks shared between them, and you have to cycle through them by shooting a radio or something, iirc. keep in mind this was a late '89 game, too. other rock-themed kusoge like seikima II's game (also recommended bizarre trash game with collectible klansmen with reverse crosses printed on them - based on a real heavy metal band that is actually pretty fun and has a cool history, too) at least came out in like, '86, thus having some sort of excuse for their piercing noise.

skip around this longplay to get a sense for what i'm talking about. or maybe skip to this time and see how great this music goes with the screeching sfx.

if for some reason this crock of nonsense appeals to you to the point you seek it out to play it for yourself (i had no idea what i was getting myself into when i bought it, and it was admittedly quite a ride), make sure you look up a guide and take snapshots of the password screens with your phone. there's a part where you've got to send a couple of specific items over to a guy to get to the ending, and the final boss will cause the entire game to end if you fail on them, whereas other bosses i think just restart the level.
That game's music reminds me of Mega Man II/Rockman World 2 on Gameboy.
NYN

Post by NYN »

FinalBaton wrote:

Fun story : I 've never played the Director's Cut of Resident Evil, only played the OG release back then. This fall I decided to pick the game up again. Was shopping for a ps1 version, so I researched the differences between all versions and... then I learned about the new music in Director's Cut and STAYED THE HELL AWAY from that shit... Needless to say, I picked up the OG release. lol
Now wait a second here.

There's a difference. The 'first' D.C. has the same music as the original. It's the DUAL SHOCK Version, released a year later which swapped the score for a new, real creepy one.

Please indulge my blunt gesture, but I'm enamoured enough to correct this confusion. Maybe now you can go and pick it up.
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Anything from Terminator for the NES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbHxJlryPfA

Kudos if you can make it through one minute without punching your screen and using the shards to stab your brain through your ear canals.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Here's a more modest one. As already touched on, there's a very fine line between mediocre and insufferable when it comes to the MegaDrive sound chip, but I've also found that different people seem to have a different treshold when it comes to this.
It's really too bad, because in the right hands, it sounds amazing, but there are way too many examples out there of horrible compositions, especially songs that try to simulate real instruments, as evident by the sacrilegious Fantasia soundtrack (horrible music for a horrible game). Maybe that is why it has a reputation of being inferior to the SNES? Usually someone who doesn't know how to get something good out of the SNES soundchip will just end up with a muddy mess at worst, rather than something actively trying to erode your ear canals.

This one is an interesting example, as Yuzo Koshiro is, at least in my book, known as a master of the FM chip, and one of my favourite video game composers. But holy hell has he also created some strange stuff. Biggest offender in my book is the majority of the Story of Thor soundtrack. Whatever he tried to go for here, it just doesn't work out on the YM2612:

YUZO WAT U DOING???
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm worried Sonic Eraser might actually have killed Burinju. 3;
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote: EAT SHIT BURINJU 凸(`ω´メ)

NOBODY COMES BACK FROM THIS ONE[/b]
Oh yeah!?
Spoiler
no u
actually i'm fine lol
Spoiler
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Ronyn wrote:Now wait a second here.

There's a difference. The 'first' D.C. has the same music as the original. It's the DUAL SHOCK Version, released a year later which swapped the score for a new, real creepy one.

Please indulge my blunt gesture, but I'm enamoured enough to correct this confusion. Maybe now you can go and pick it up.
Yeah I meant the Dual Shock version of Director's Cut! Should have specified, my bad.

The normal mode in DC is the easier japanese version and i wanted a challenge(and the same difficulty I played back then) so that's why I went with the OG release. Didn't need the DC "Arrange mode" either.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Marc

Post by Marc »

E-Swat, MD, level 2.rest of the soundtrack is pretty OK, if not particularly matching the action, but fuck me... Just.... Ouch.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Deadliar

Post by Deadliar »

Marc wrote:E-Swat, MD, level 2.rest of the soundtrack is pretty OK, if not particularly matching the action, but fuck me... Just.... Ouch.
Dude you can literally make out the few bits of song slapped together to make the boss theme. Its transition quality is so good that theres an audible change of pitch or some similar effect once the song loops.
Play for fun and win when you can.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Deadliar wrote:
Marc wrote:E-Swat, MD, level 2.rest of the soundtrack is pretty OK, if not particularly matching the action, but fuck me... Just.... Ouch.
Dude you can literally make out the few bits of song slapped together to make the boss theme. Its transition quality is so good that theres an audible change of pitch or some similar effect once the song loops.
Fuck yeah I kind of forgot about that, it even pauses just slightly before it starts back up.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Deadliar wrote:Recycling old post.
Spoiler
Hah. I was laughing already at 'Toaplan cool music'

Gentlemen and Lady, these are some fine turdz.
Jeneki wrote:Is this one of those games where everyone tosses money into a pot, and the last person who leaves the room wins it all?
Yeah except you don't win shit.
And not everyone will leave.

Aha, as for SH1 - I seem to remember a song that sounds like this part just way more in your face and obnoxious?
https://youtu.be/4W3wjmswJNQ?t=1m7s
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:Aha, as for SH1 - I seem to remember a song that sounds like this part just way more in your face and obnoxious?
https://youtu.be/4W3wjmswJNQ?t=1m7s
From the OST's tracks - Devil's Lyric maybe? Ain't Gonna Rain and Die are pretty aggressively bangy too but I wouldn't call 'em obnoxious, they got RIDDIM

RE the "dying motor" bit you linked, IIRC that's non-OST ambience from the nightmare hospital. Even supposed "complete" gamerips tend to miss one or two things in this series, IIRC... if I had SH1 on hand to fire up, I'd snoop around the part right after you arrive there and can't turn back.

The much louder part a little further in is on the OST with a bit more backup as Don't Cry. gatdamn! I remember hearing that wail on its own, first time in the "normal" basement, and getting the motherfuckin willies! and I just had a thought, the sounds of dying machinery peppering the ambient tracks gel pretty damn nicely with
Spoiler
BAD END. :o
ah, nerdfights in theoryville. Official topic of fond SH1 memories. ;3
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm tempted to mention PC speaker music, but much of that is actually pretty impressive for what they had to work with (still doesn't make it any less ear piercing, though).
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Classic SH should never appear in this thread. Amazing soundtracks.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Obscura wrote:Classic SH should never appear in this thread. Amazing soundtracks.
The only tracks I could possibly consider putting ITT are the sappiest, AOR-est of the vocal tracks Yamaoka was progressively more into from SH3 onward. (;`ω´;) WIPE EM OUT
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

I don't mind the vocal tracks from SH3, but that one song that's just the open strings of a guitar being strummed in an 8/4 time signature is lame, I'll grant you. Still, it takes more than "a bit lame" to belong here imo.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Obscura Obscurin' in my thread! =O

What is this open string strumming you mention? link pls

True, SH1's ost does exactly as intended- I just happen to dislike the RUH ROH RUH ROH RUH ROH RUH OH
WA- WUH WA WUH WA WUH.

I seem to remember it being in Nowhere, actually?

^this post looks like a crazy wrote it.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

As far as I know, that "song" isn't on the OST (at least it's not on any of the YouTube playlists I've seen), but it's the song that plays after you're done with most areas when Heather is being emo.

Edit -- after a bit of looking, it might be "End of Small Sanctuary", although I remember it being simpler than that.
Last edited by Obscura on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Are you thinking of this part maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZOh7NlFUes (EDIT: Much better link! It's a hard track to find)

Because that's literally my favourite part of the Silent Hill soundtrack. Real old school Neubauten style right there.
Last edited by Sumez on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:I seem to remember it being in Nowhere, actually?
Could well be - I always get Nightmare Alchemilla and Nowhere's audiovisual ambiences mixed up when it's been a while, tbh. Extra-heavy on the gory metal gratings, scorched wallpaper and Puppet Nurses... IIRC Alchemilla's the biggest contributor of past textures to the area, though it's been a good couple years since I played any of the KCET four.

The ambient sound I associate most strongly with Nowhere is the "hammering engine + piercing whistle" included on OST track "Not Tomorrow 2" (which bleeds in stuff from the last boss at the start and finish).
Obscura wrote:Edit -- after a bit of looking, it might be "End of Small Sanctuary", although I remember it being simpler than that.
Yeah I was gonna say that was it too, but thought it might be some random ambience I'd forgotten about with EoSS having at least a little articulation. It also only plays once, on the short jog from the "real world" ladies room to the start of the game proper.

The other OST track I thought you might mean is SH4's acoustic plinky-plunk / humming air conditioner title screen tour-de-force "The Last Mariachi," but I like that one too much!
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

I never got very far in SH4, so that's unlikely. I know the one I'm thinking was in 3, and I thought it played multiple times, but I don't replay 3 very often , so I could be wrong.

Edit -- looked up The Last Mariachi, its not that one. That song rules.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Obscura wrote:As far as I know, that "song" isn't on the OST (at least it's not on any of the YouTube playlists I've seen), but it's the song that plays after you're done with most areas when Heather is being emo.

Edit -- after a bit of looking, it might be "End of Small Sanctuary", although I remember it being simpler than that.
Not sure about the emo bit, nor do I care for the irreverent tone! :x

End of Small Sanctuary is quite simple though it only happens at the very beginning before Heather's troubles start in the mall.
Actually when i first started playing the game it was quite late, the music and orange sunset vibes hit me so hard that i just left it on and crawled into bed listening to it for ages. The sound was just very 'ps2' to me at the time.

It is a chord though, at least two fingers are fretting - the rest are open string, i worked it out once.

Ha yeah I also love Last Mariachi - that's an out of tune guitar playng isn't it?
Or a shitty axe bought at a charity shop.

w-wait. Why are we talking about good tracks.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:w-wait. Why are we talking about good tracks.
Ye, you right. I'M LEAVIN THIS POPSICLE STAND BEFORE THE FILTH SHOWS UP AND I GOTTA LET OFF ME SHOOTA (・`W´・)

(cont here)

Imma hit the hay and return tomorrow armed with the shittiest kusoBGM I can remember. It will atone for the preceding goodBGM posts AND offend the eardrums and tastes of all present. (・`W´・)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

TURN BACK INSIDE 'ER, TAKE BACK THE RHINO!!

https://youtu.be/6vsOgpIzYGo

skip to 0:38, you'll see what i mean.
I'm gonna give the whole ost a listen soon, see what other brown gems I can find.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wow that's pretty outrageous, lol.

Interestingly that game came out the same year as one of Bowie's absolutely worst albums (Hours), so it's probably really a question of bad timing.
I guess the soundtrack also qualifies more as a Tin Machine outing, since Reeves Gabrel was working on it, and his terribly mixed guitar really clashes awfully with Bowie's vocals from most of what I could hear skipping through the soundtrack.

Man, imagine getting David Fucking Bowie for your video game soundtrack and ending up with such a boring result. Even his somewhat lackluster soundtrack for Buddha of Suburbia has more stuff going for it.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

First one made me lol

Second one? Crazy chocobo does not belong in this thread, are you out of your mind? shit's hilarious.
Further evidence that you've never known what yer talkin' about!!