The Game of Bad Game Music

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

The Game of Bad Game Music

Post by Blinge »

That is to say: bad music from a game, not good music from a bad game.

There are threads dedicated to good music.
Fuck that. Time for ears to bleed.

The rule is - post one stinker, and you must listen to the previous turds before posting =P

I'll open with this
Harmony of Dissonance - Luminous Caverns
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sumez

Re: The Game of Bad Game Music

Post by Sumez »

I accidentally activated the "Lyre of Ire" in Dragon Quest Builders which replaces all music tracks with their original Famicom counterparts. Big, big mistake - because it means you have to listen to a whole lot of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejdZXXHqviA
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

obvious one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

with have to try and think of something with more effort later.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ooh, that's a nasty one. Throw in some "sexy witches" that look like they were drawn by the programmer's blind parrot, and you've got a recipe for splitting headaches and buyer's remorse!

Though for sheer "fuck you asshole, we got your money already" cynicism, I'd have gone with the magnificently titled "I'LL SELL AT MY PLACE ~ THEME OF THE MERCHANT." Granted you don't hear it for as long a stretch, but can you withstand fifteen minutes of retarded bees gangbanging in a box of powdered glucose? Ha! Thought not. Relative Sanity Label.
Deadliar

Post by Deadliar »

Recycling old post.
Spoiler
Play for fun and win when you can.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Deadliar's post reminds me of this amazing atrocity - 1942 for NES:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDwivbWwnt8

Micronics didn't just hate video game players, they absolute loathed their eardrums.

Now you guys have to listen to 3 minutes of this before posting anything else, mwahaha.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

So bad it's terrible?

I will try and add when I get home.
My lord, I have come for you.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Evergrace 2/Forever Kingdom's music gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it, the game is also super shitty.
Solca & Karmyla Doll Boss
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Not gonna lie, the first thing that popped in my head after seeing the title was HoD. Can't top that :P It's not all bad but those stinkers really stink.

Anyway, please enjoy this atrocity from Sonic Chronicles.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Ebbo wrote:Anyway, please enjoy this atrocity from Sonic Chronicles.
Took me way too long to realise this was the Big Arms theme. Since it's absurdly off-topic I'll spoiler-tag the amazing 3DS Generations version of that track:
Spoiler
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Speaking of Sonic and badly ported music...

Sonic Spinball, Touched-A-Fuzzy Edition
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:Deadliar's post reminds me of this amazing atrocity - 1942 for NES:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDwivbWwnt8

Micronics didn't just hate video game players, they absolute loathed their eardrums.
I don't think the music is Micronics' fault. Mobygames lists Ayako Mori and Yoshihiro Sakaguchi from Capcom as doing the music. Capcom also did the music for Ghosts 'n Goblins NES, though it was programmed by Micronics (and one thing that glitchy port got right was the music). Even the arcade version of that tune isn't too hot.
Last edited by BrianC on Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I wish I didn't this thread :wink:

Time for Lost Kingdoms II: Revenge of the Fart Trumpets
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:I wish I didn't this thread :wink:

I raise you Resident Evil Director's Cut - Mansion Basement. In basement, everyone can hear you trump. (■`ω´■)
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Surprised this wasn't mentioned here yet. Ecco the Dolphin JP - Open Ocean

Pac-Man for the Atari 2600. Ugh.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote:
Blinge wrote:I wish I didn't this thread :wink:

I raise you Resident Evil Director's Cut - Mansion Basement. In basement, everyone can hear you trump. (■`ω´■)
SQUIRE ALREADY POSTED THAT.
CHEATER DETECTED.
CREDITS FEEDING SAVE STATES IN THE ASS.
BACK TO THE TOP YOU GO.
BIL

Post by BIL »

SHEEIT (`ω´メ)

I CANNOT FUCK UP FOR THIS. Activate XTREEM countermeasures.

FUCKIN SONIC ERASER BGM

EAT SHIT BURINJU 凸(`ω´メ)

NOBODY COMES BACK FROM THIS ONE

MAYBE SPK FANS, BUT THEY ARE KINDA FUCKED ANYWAY TBH
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

That Marble Madness port that has ear bleeding sounds in it, jesus fucking christ. Which one is it again?

EDIT : It's the Genesis port by Electronic Arts -_-
https://youtu.be/Ef8YXB_Qe7I?t=1m50s
Last edited by FinalBaton on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

^ EA's shitty Genesis port. Tengen's Japan-exclusive MD one is quite rovely. Image
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yes thank god Tengen also made a port.

Fun story : I 've never played the Director's Cut of Resident Evil, only played the OG release back then. This fall I decided to pick the game up again. Was shopping for a ps1 version, so I researched the differences between all versions and... then I learned about the new music in Director's Cut and STAYED THE HELL AWAY from that shit... Needless to say, I picked up the OG release. lol
Last edited by FinalBaton on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
drauch

Post by drauch »

Ohhhhh yeah, used to play that on a friend's surround sound just for the first few seconds. Always a crowd pleaser.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

EA were a horrible mixed bag... Ron Hubbard's Road Rash OST is legitimately bangin' heavy metal. Nice fat Vengeance-era Judas Priest sound. Then their Marble Madness comes at you like a tittering schizoid murderer in a dark alley armed with a fistful of bloody syringes, and you just wanna run like hell!

EDIT: Granted, MM's soundtrack by nature is often discordant, jarring and distracting, especially towards the middle of the game. It's part of its mischievous nature - trumpets blaring at you, bizarre noises when you bump certain objects, the marble forever teetering on oblivion... put that sound on Genesis in unskilled hands and prepare to suffer.

Here's Tengen's port at the same point linked above - it still sounds discomforting, but not outright painful. Very fine line to walk on MD.
Last edited by BIL on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drauch

Post by drauch »

FinalBaton wrote:Fun story : I 've never played the Director's Cut of Resident Evil, only played the OG release back then. This fall I decided to pick the game up again. Was shopping for a ps1 version, so I researched the differences between all versions and... then I learned about the new music in Director's Cut and STAYED THE HELL AWAY from that shit... Needless to say, I picked up the OG release. lol
Honestly the Mansion Basement is the big stinker, otherwise I think there's some good improvements that add a lot of tension. Both STs have good stuff about them, as well as some mediocre. But yeah, Mansion Basement suxxx.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

drauch wrote:Honestly the Mansion Basement is the big stinker, otherwise I think there's some good improvements that add a lot of tension. Both STs have good stuff about them, as well as some mediocre. But yeah, Mansion Basement suxxx.
Agreed it has it's moments. But I didn't feel like it was overall better. And Mansion Basement is such a big turd... plus there are some others on which I'm "meh"
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLV5hif ... e=youtu.be

I'd post more if I weren't limited to one. Dating sims and related genres are like a gold mine (shit mine?) for terrible music.
Deadliar wrote:Recycling old post.
Can Divine Sealing's BGM be meditative?
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Deadliar

Post by Deadliar »

Divine Sealing does have that one, single, decent song that they use to lure poor players in.

Same goes for Master of weapon. In a soundtrack of arghrblargh there's a badass alarm song immediately followed by cool tunes to lure you in.
Spoiler
This is a very peculiar example. Genius or idiocy? The alarm is constant through the entire song and is lounder than it, but still fits with the melody. As a result you'll keep noticing it again and again during the song. It gives a very strong sense of "oh shit, shit is real!"
New thread: Good songs from games with horrible soundtracks
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Ebbo wrote:Not gonna lie, the first thing that popped in my head after seeing the title was HoD. Can't top that :P It's not all bad but those stinkers really stink.

Anyway, please enjoy this atrocity from Sonic Chronicles.
jeez, I'm still wondering who decided that "yeah, we want this to sound like it came out on the Game.com"
It took me an absurd amount of time to notice that it was S3 final boss theme.
lol
Would have been super into this years ago, there was a point where I basically only listened to merzbow and shit.

and Sonic Eraser's BGM is fun :lol:
It's totally miserable and honestly worse than harsh noise music, but it's fun and mostly suffers from having some of the worst FM patches ever and weird volume mixing.
Deadliar wrote: Same goes for Master of weapon. In a soundtrack of arghrblargh there's a badass alarm song immediately followed by cool tunes to lure you in.
Fuck, I went and listened to a bit of the rest of the MoW soundtrack, it's so bad.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Deadliar

Post by Deadliar »

null1024 wrote:Fuck, I went and listened to a bit of the rest of the MoW soundtrack, it's so bad.
That's how they get you, lad!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

If you don't appreciate SPK I can never speak to you again.

Here's a beautiful rendition of a classical masterpiece to soothe your ears.
BIL

Post by BIL »

null1024 wrote:and Sonic Eraser's BGM is fun :lol:
It's totally miserable and honestly worse than harsh noise music, but it's fun and mostly suffers from having some of the worst FM patches ever and weird volume mixing.
It's the most dazzlingly ugly MD music I know of, but yeah, I don't mind it much myself. Would rather hear something spectacularly awful than random forgettable buzzy GEMS crap. I think the bells are kinda cool... its real problem is context. Should drop the fruity, furry pretense and just go full skullfuck.

I like to play compare/contrast with Silent Hill's "Until Death." Quite similar songs, with hideous textures and violent percussion that denies any rhythm, instead battering the listener, vanishing without trace, then reappearing just as abruptly to do it all over again like some phantom tormentor. Only difference is, the SH tune is doing this on purpose. :lol:
Sumez wrote:
If you don't appreciate SPK I can never speak to you again.
Oh no, they're cool. Couldn't call myself an aficionado, but I enjoyed sampling all that 70s/80s industrial stuff after realising Akira Yamaoka (SH) tended to rip them off for his grislier compositions. :wink:
This owns tbh :o Love that warbly dialtone sound - that and the way the song occasionally trips over itself is cute!
Last edited by BIL on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.