RQ: Warning Forever scoring

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
heurhface

RQ: Warning Forever scoring

Post by heurhface »

Anyone have a clue how to score big in this game? It doesn't seem like any one of the methods I use garners more points than another.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I'm not an expert, but one thing I've noticed you can do is shoot as close to the center as you can, without destroying the "outside stuff" first: for instance, if you shoot a boss's "arm" at the point where it meets the center part without shooting off the guns and other sections, you can destroy the whole arm at once, and at the end of the stage you get some bonus points for it. Actually, once you blast a "path" through to the center section, you can just shoot at that, and eventually everything left on it will all go once you've shot the middle enough: of course, this makes things trickier, since everything you haven't shot off of him will be after you the entire time. In any event, until someone more learned in the ways of this game comes along, start with that.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

If you destroy many sections individually right after each other you get a rapid destroy bonus.

If you "cut off" a large section by destroying the inner part, you gain a chain bonus.

BUt the single best way to get points is to survive (laugh)

WHen polaying standard mode, you need to avoid dying at all costs, as each death is 20 seconds lost.

When playing 3 ship mode, you want to take the boss down piece by piece to get more lives.
heurhface

Post by heurhface »

I was wondering what the rapid destroy bonus was. What about the chain bonus? I assume it's the one for destroying the root of an arm, right?

It seems like you have to balance destroying chains with destroying pieces to get a good score. hrm...
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

The rapid destroy and chain bonuses are equal in value.

SO ideally you should knock out one 4th of the ship with the rapid destroy, then immediately go for the core to get a chain bonus. you should always be working on either one or the other.

Going for big chain bonusees causes less expansion of the ship so i prefer to go for the chain.