From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Udderdude

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Udderdude »

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

From finally making a new Shadow Tower would be a dream for me. But it's probably just gonna be Tenchu >_>

Or Sony paying them to do Bloodborne 2.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Are the old tenchus worth playing?
They look arse in the few seconds of gameplay I just watched, though that's not a good indicator.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

They are super boring.

I've never played the ones made by From, though.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Damn, between "Shadows Die Twice", the general aesthetic, and the fact that Miyazaki said he wanted to make a souls-like experience in VR (which would mean first person), I was getting totally hype for Shadow Tower 3. Sad to hear it's probably just Tenchu.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Sumez wrote:They are super boring.

I dunno, the PS2 version doesn't look that bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjsWwl7kBQ
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

Udderdude wrote:
Sumez wrote:They are super boring.

I dunno, the PS2 version doesn't look that bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjsWwl7kBQ

The first 4 (2 x PSX, 2 x PS2) are fantastic.

The only Tenchu From developed from the ground up was 'Shadow Assault: Tenchu'. Their remaining contribution to the series were ports or as publisher.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Obscura wrote:Damn, between "Shadows Die Twice", the general aesthetic, and the fact that Miyazaki said he wanted to make a souls-like experience in VR (which would mean first person), I was getting totally hype for Shadow Tower 3. Sad to hear it's probably just Tenchu.
Wow, I hope it's not a VR thing.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i hope it's a new ip, but i'm pretty hyped no matter what it is. unless it's vr.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Don't be talking about VR. You're gonna make me sick.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Unless they make it VR-only -- which they won't, it's still too niche -- I'm fine with them going back to first person so they can facilitate VR for those who want it.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Shadow Tower psx.

Although if you say it's better than dark souls i will fite u
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Haven't played it. I've never really been able to stomach the KF games. ST:A is far smoother and more polished (and less grindy) than the KFs, and from what I've heard, the first Shadow Tower does not share that polish.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

While that's fair, I'm not sure what you mean by grindy.
I don't think you need to grind at all in KF2-4 at least.

Unless you meant the game is a slog in general.

And yes, definitely no polish in ST..

Edit: zomg just visceral'd then finished Ebrietas ng+ off with a fully charged Whirligig Saw doublehanded R2
I nutted.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Yeah, "grindy" was probably a bad choice of words; I meant it in the sense that "combat tends to bog down and be a real grind", not "grind for levels".

The impression that KF4 left me before I ran away screaming was walk forward -> swing -> walk backwards -> wait for bar to recharge -> repeat for like an hour on each of those worm enemies near the start. ST:A generally moves much quicker. That's not to say it's fast -- it's probably slower than any Souls game -- but enemies don't take ages to chop through like they do in KF.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah, Abyss is way smoother than any of those games. It has a slow pace, but I think it's a part of the experience. Really awesome game, and I would love to see where From could take the series after Abyss... Well, I guess Demon's Souls was sort of that, but you know.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Obscura wrote:Yeah, "grindy" was probably a bad choice of words; I meant it in the sense that "combat tends to bog down and be a real grind", not "grind for levels".

The impression that KF4 left me before I ran away screaming was walk forward -> swing -> walk backwards -> wait for bar to recharge -> repeat for like an hour on each of those worm enemies near the start.
Fair enough. I think the beginning is the slowest part for every KF basically. in 4 you'll want to immediately go in the door and clear out the village ruins, only 2 of those enemies respawn, a pattern repeated in nearly every area. 3-4 level ups gets everything moving faster.
I like it in a way; with 2-4 your first task is clear out the area right at the start + find a savepoint to give yourself an operating base.

Hm, but does the rest of the game seem faster or was I just acclimated to the snail pace. Who knows.

Bloodborne: I've finished the DLC and the rest of NG+
Cool! Alas, I feel like a shit for backstabbing Orphan to punish that divekick, makes that first phase a lot easier.
I was fighting him for almost 2 straight hours before that though. The second form is rather panic inducing.

Final boss was awesome. Loved the fight.
I think every time I meet him from now on i'll have to let him kill me just for a chance to fight it more without playing the whole game again.
That "Get over here!!" Scythe attack is sweet.
Spoiler
Moon was meh? I was probably overlevelled. Seems like its take your whole lifebar attack is just an excuse to get massive damage in, and regain that health in the process
Lore Question tho:
Spoiler
What triggers the Night of The Hunt? In the present time, who calls it? Gehrman?

I think he does it every time he manages to recruit a hunter again.

Also, what allows the hunt to end? Vaati suggest it's the Moon Presence sated by the death of a great one. But surely a great one isn't killed at the end of every hunt before yours..?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oh and for you rabid FromFuckers (need a better collective term for from fans) who're interested.

Me vs BB bosses Part 1. (dat Bloodstarved tho) https://youtu.be/_h4uB_STkCE

Part 2 - I Paarley with the night. https://youtu.be/xRhPlKXYVTg

Edit: Started a new NG file - Arcane playthrough.

My side goal was to progress in the Chalice dungeons to prove you can fight Rom there first before seeing him in the main game.
So Hemwick's dead, but Amelia and Paarl are still alive - The main game hasn't progressed.
Pthumeru, Central Pthumeru Chalices are done and I've spawned the Lower Pthumeru chalice.
The boss of floor 3 is Rom, so yeah, you can do it.
.. But i can't be bothered now cause i'm bored of chalices!

Edit II: Part 3 of my first boss kills (rest of the game) https://youtu.be/nZ7Hf5zy284
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Is anyone up for some lore discussion?
In gaming terms i've been speaking about nothing else for the past 2 months almost!

Just talking Squire and others' ears off in discord is no longer enough!

My question if anyone wants to tackle it is:

Who wrote
Spoiler
The handwritten scrawl in the very first room of the game. "Seek Paleblood to transcend the hunt"
Edit: meanwhile in 'Blunge yells to an empty room about bloodborne'
Holy shit did anyone notice the strung up corpses in the Fishing Hamlet are in the shape of the Hunter's Mark!?
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say...... The game creators wrote that.

Really, I think bloodborne lore is a lot less concrete than something like dark souls. it's all deliberately super obtuse imo and I don't think there are any definitive answers.

I did indeed notice the hunter's mark corpse!

I'm still slowly working my way through my own most recent playthrough. Going for mainly a str build with some arcane too. I deliberately got the logarius wheel as soon as I could as I've never used that weapon before. Currently I only have the dlc, upper cathedral and the final bosses to do in the main game, but I'm only up to Rom in the chalice dungeons and I'm determined to finally actually go through all of the chalice dungeons.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Immryr wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb and say...... The game creators wrote that.

Really, I think bloodborne lore is a lot less concrete than something like dark souls. it's all deliberately super obtuse imo and I don't think there are any definitive answers.

Going for mainly a str build with some arcane too. I deliberately got the logarius wheel as soon as I could as I've never used that weapon before.
Someone grant eyes to this sorry mortal..

Actually i think it's no more obscura than dark souls is.
Some theories have overwhelming supporting evidence compared to others.

Really, why would the game creators leave that note there with no explanation, the player doesn't need it for guidance, they're in the first room - any direction from there is the right direction. At no point in the game is the players progress defined by whether they've found paleblood or not. There isn't a definitive answer to what paleblood actually is!
Spoiler
I think it's a deliberate hint left by the Blood Minister himself. He's the only agent of the Moon Hunters (allow me to coin that phrase) acting in the real Yharnam; recruiting a new Hunter.
e's a mysterious and interesting character to me; what are his motives? Why would he want somebody to 'transcend' the hunt,
not just enact it.
Anyhow - I had an idea for a community Soulsborne event for us lot soon.
Everyone signs up, then gets a player assigned to them at random.
They then pick what type of weapon/run their underling has to play in a Soulsborne game.
Would it be good for them to pick the game too? Or should that be decided as a group?
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Blinge wrote:Anyhow - I had an idea for a community Soulsborne event for us lot soon.
Everyone signs up, then gets a player assigned to them at random.
They then pick what type of weapon/run their underling has to play in a Soulsborne game.
Would it be good for them to pick the game too? Or should that be decided as a group?
Count me in.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

...and I guess we may as well do it in the remake/remaster in May!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Any particular reason to buy the game again?
Marc

Post by Marc »

Will probably buy again, not played the original through for a long while now.
Not sure which to get though, Switch for portability, or PS4 for new shiny.
Saying that, I'm the oddball that felt that the combat in SotFS fell a little less... 'weighty' I guess due to the jump to 60FPS, so as long as the Swithc version looks the part, plays at a solid frame rate, and doesn't cost twice the amount of the PS4 version,I'll probably go for that.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Sumez wrote:Any particular reason to buy the game again?
Hi-res Quelaag?

Hoping for a "remix" mode, ala SOFTS, with different/harder enemy placements.

Demons Souls needed a remaster more than Dark Souls, so hoping that is in the pipeline as well.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Hm. Hopefully the frame drops in Blighttown & that flooded area will be fixed. It will likely have much improved lighting, which will be worth the purchase for me. The PS3 version of the original looks like butt on my HDTV. I always play on the CRT so it's not so murky.
Godzilla was an inside job
KAI

Post by KAI »

Blinge wrote:Are the old tenchus worth playing?
Some of them, but yes, they are. I recently played all the game on the series again and I must say:

1 and 3 are the best games and still play awesome.
Z has the best of 1 and 3 with huge stages, great mechanics and graphics.
4 is good, even if it doesn't play like the older games.
2 is super meh.
Fatal Shadows has shit stages, shit enemy AI and layout and shit everything else.
Time of the Assassins is unplayable garbage.

Sumez wrote:They are super boring
>:(
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Oh man. I've played the hell out of Tenchu 1 when it came out. I friggin' loved that one. Buddy and I were obssessed with the game.

Haven't played it since then, so I don't know if it has held up. I'm guessing it's still fun? From what I remember, the difficulty was just right : a good challenge without being impossibru

EDIT : checked a longplay, and it still looks badass, lol. I think I'll be getiing myself a legit copy (my chipped ps1 has bit the dust, so I can't play my burned copy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga5nSh-4azw
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blinge

Re: Collective Soulsborne Hallucination

Post by Blinge »

Necronopticous wrote:...and I guess we may as well do it in the remake/remaster in May!
Aww nahh man I can't wait that long!

Anyone else want to do the group run / pick someone elses' build challenge? pls post here.
I think we should vote on which game..

Although; I have yet to play 3, it's sitting on my shelf. I'm not ready :shock:
I'll.. I'll start it next weekend.

Actually an old friend of mine who never really tried the series has given DS1 a go recently, streaming a new game.
"Lol i'm only upgrading STR"
Jesus, it works. Maybe the usual for-noobs wisdom of pumping VIT and END was wrong. He tore through the gargoyles with starting Axe+1

He challenged me to do the opposite - pump only VIT. (and use dagger)
When I fought the Gargs and was getting flame combo'd/ trying to kite them and create space he remarks:
"oh shit I didn't know you're supposed to fight two at once!"