I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BurlyHeart

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by BurlyHeart »

Nex Machina - my first ever 1cc!

Feels good, man :D
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Woot 8)

Nice work guys. Congrats.
My lord, I have come for you.
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

stevens, yes mate, you cleared progear!! awesome job, congrats!! i missed this due to not being able to access the forum from my phone most of the time... I'm stoked for you...(and you killed my score!) 8) 8) 8)
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

8)
Can't lie, getting that one felt so good.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Keeping with the Cave celebrations, I got my first-ever "clear" in a DoDonPachi game...

A 1-ALL of DDP DaiFukkatsu... with Strong Style... without triggering the second loop! Wow, what a shooting master I am! I was so good I even got less than half of my best scoring run! 8) It only took me 12 hours of practicing Normal 1.5, to boot.

Despite how many cheese-friendly mechanics there are in this game, it is annoying: What exactly is the hitbox for some of the Dolls? Why are the laser-wheels in 1-5 so terribly spaced and designed?

Seriously, 1-5 just is not fun. A slog of endless bullets and tight corridors and God forbid some poor sucker is trying to get the "Ura loop" requirement with all that bullshit flying on the screen... I wonder if I should just give up here and call it a day.
Leviathan wrote:Nex Machina - my first ever 1cc!

Feels good, man :D
Nice job! I still need to get some more feel for this one - I'm not super at arena-style shooters.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Thanks guys. If you forget about score and just focus on a clear, it's fairly easy to be honest. And there are tons of extra lives in the game.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Rue

Post by Rue »

EmperorIng wrote:Keeping with the Cave celebrations, I got my first-ever "clear" in a DoDonPachi game...

A 1-ALL of DDP DaiFukkatsu... with Strong Style... without triggering the second loop! Wow, what a shooting master I am! I was so good I even got less than half of my best scoring run! 8) It only took me 12 hours of practicing Normal 1.5, to boot.

Despite how many cheese-friendly mechanics there are in this game, it is annoying: What exactly is the hitbox for some of the Dolls? Why are the laser-wheels in 1-5 so terribly spaced and designed?

Seriously, 1-5 just is not fun. A slog of endless bullets and tight corridors and God forbid some poor sucker is trying to get the "Ura loop" requirement with all that bullshit flying on the screen... I wonder if I should just give up here and call it a day.
Oh hey, I'm playing DFK too. 1-5 is almost pure memorization when the lasers come in, you have to point-blank to fill the meter consistently and tap-shot to keep the lasers and stray bullets away from you. I was confused about not getting into second loop, and after looking at the prerequisites, it's almost a matter of luck for players who are below superplayer level. Even after taking the dive to try and get it in novice, room for error is so small that getting into 2nd loop is arguably tougher than the loop itself.

Then again, I can only enter 2nd loop on novice. The requirements feel like a slap on the face that's telling you you're not good enough to access the second half of the game.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Rue wrote: Oh hey, I'm playing DFK too. 1-5 is almost pure memorization when the lasers come in, you have to point-blank to fill the meter consistently and tap-shot to keep the lasers and stray bullets away from you. I was confused about not getting into second loop, and after looking at the prerequisites, it's almost a matter of luck for players who are below superplayer level. Even after taking the dive to try and get it in novice, room for error is so small that getting into 2nd loop is arguably tougher than the loop itself.

Then again, I can only enter 2nd loop on novice. The requirements feel like a slap on the face that's telling you you're not good enough to access the second half of the game.
35 bees out of 45 to enter the second loop is lenient as hell
every shmup is pure memorization by the way
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Go easy on us non-WR holders, the games already treat us like shit :wink:
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

novice mode reveals the bees for you so you can learn the positions easily in practice mode without having to fly around blindly looking for them
I don't know how much easier the game can make it for you before it stops "treating you like shit"
EmperorIng wrote:What exactly is the hitbox for some of the Dolls?
practice mode->select boss->slowly move into boss until you take a hit
dfk has by far the best practice mode in all the cave ports, use it
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Bananamatic wrote:I don't know how much easier the game can make it for you before it stops "treating you like shit"
IMO bees are kind of dumb in every DonPachi game and I'd rather not have them, even if the remaining loop conditions are actually harder. Just feels like the game's holding up a bunch of hoops for you to jump through, you're only there because the game told you that you have to be there. Every scoring system is restrictive in some way in that certain things are rewarded and others discouraged, but bee collection feels like an exceptionally meaningless and unnatural thing to ask of players.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Shepardus wrote: IMO bees are kind of dumb in every DonPachi game and I'd rather not have them, even if the remaining loop conditions are actually harder. Just feels like the game's holding up a bunch of hoops for you to jump through, you're only there because the game told you that you have to be there. Every scoring system is restrictive in some way in that certain things are rewarded and others discouraged, but bee collection feels like an exceptionally meaningless and unnatural thing to ask of players.
might as well say that medal chaining in garegga is meaningless and unnatural because it's the exact same shit, picking up items
hell, shmups (or games) in general are about following arbitrary rules made by the developer and a lot of shmups could still work just fine with half of the mechanics taken out with the only thing that matters being if the set rules are fun to follow

in most of the ddp games the bees are a big part of the scoring system and outside of dfk ura loop and hibachi/inbachi in sdoj they're not even required for the loop
it's just that picking up 35 out of 45 bees in dfk for the omote loop is infinitely easier than getting below a certain amount of bombs or deaths
plus bees give you hypers and hyper rank doesn't do a lot in the 1st loop, so learning the bee positions can let you hyper most of the game if you're not scoring
outside of ddp and possibly doj, bees also make the game easier for survival by giving you more hypers or cancelling bullets
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Bananamatic wrote:
Shepardus wrote: IMO bees are kind of dumb in every DonPachi game and I'd rather not have them, even if the remaining loop conditions are actually harder. Just feels like the game's holding up a bunch of hoops for you to jump through, you're only there because the game told you that you have to be there. Every scoring system is restrictive in some way in that certain things are rewarded and others discouraged, but bee collection feels like an exceptionally meaningless and unnatural thing to ask of players.
might as well say that medal chaining in garegga is meaningless and unnatural because it's the exact same shit, picking up items
hell, shmups (or games) in general are about following arbitrary rules made by the developer and a lot of shmups could still work just fine with half of the mechanics taken out with the only thing that matters being if the set rules are fun to follow
Medalling in Garegga is also picking up items, but you have some agency over when and where those medals spawn based on how you kill enemies, as well as how you collect them. In practice most players are going to settle on a consistent pattern that gives them medals in predictable times and locations, but that's the player's choice to limit themselves, and that makes a big difference in whether it feels like a "natural" and intuitive consequence of the rules or just some "arbitrary" restrictions forced upon them by some capricious developer. Even when the plan goes awry or RNG takes hold the player can still improvise something and possibly do well because the plan was their own restriction, they haven't failed yet in the game's eye. With bees you pretty much either get it according to plan or you don't (especially in DOJ, where a good route collects bees at the last possible moment so if you miss it there is no other chance to get it).
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

Nope, in DOJ you want to pick the bees in order to optimize your hyper gage refill, and sometimes it means picking the bee as soon as possible. Waiting for the very last moment to pick it up only makes a few thousands points of difference, which is nothing unless you go for some WR-tier route. In DOJ, expecially BL, you actually have some freedom in terms of hyper using and bee collecting.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Shepardus wrote:In practice most players are going to settle on a consistent pattern that gives them medals in predictable times and locations, but that's the player's choice to limit themselves, and that makes a big difference in whether it feels like a "natural" and intuitive consequence of the rules or just some "arbitrary" restrictions forced upon them by some capricious developer.
any kind of route, how much risk it involves and how many points you get is your own limitation
ground medals are in fixed locations and you need to adjust your route according to them just like with bees

not that bees are ever an issue except for one specific bee in ddp stage 2 and the ddp 2-3 boss bees because not getting them either makes the chaining harder (like in ddp) or they're not required in every route and you can drop tons of them in your routes without any consequences (like in sdoj or dfk 2nd loop)

might as well argue that putting a big enemy that you must kill in a certain spot is an arbitrary restriction forced on you by a developer because if you don't kill it you're fucked
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Bananamatic wrote: dfk has by far the best practice mode in all the cave ports, use it
fair enough; up until now I have just been grinding out practice of Normal again and again until I made progress. Old habits die hard.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

you'll never make progress if you focus on performing well instead of figuring out how to perform well in the first place
you can still grind full runs but instead of trying to achieve something, just focus on figuring things out including running into bosses to find out their hitboxes and blindly flailing around trying to figure out the bee positions, even if it kills you
at which point you should really just use practice mode to skip to the parts you want
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I don't think the static ground items and the more volatile aerial medals are the same beast at all. They're both "fair" imo, but if your reducing everything to cold hard score-play thinking (indeed, from this pure win/lose concerned perspective most design choices could be stripped down and rendered identical) than you're going to miss some very important aspects of what makes them feel different and why they appeal to different players.

I think the big enemy comparison is not quite the point Shep was making. It's more like the difference between a big enemy that has one and only one viable way of being killed, and an enemy that can be routed around in a variety of ways depending on goals and playstyle.

Disclaimer: I personally like the bee's.
Bananamatic wrote: every shmup is pure memorization by the way
Nah. Some shmups are impure memorization.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Located Time Crisis 5: True Mastermind Edition at a local Dave and Buster's and promptly beat it on my first try, though not without some warmup on Player 2 which had a credit inserted already. I got used to the dual pedal system pretty quickly. Though I didn't 1CC it.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

xxx1993 wrote:Located Time Crisis 5: True Mastermind Edition at a local Dave and Buster's and promptly beat it on my first try, though not without some warmup on Player 2 which had a credit inserted already. I got used to the dual pedal system pretty quickly. Though I didn't 1CC it.
That is hardcore.
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Oh yeah, Dave and Buster's tends to play fair most of the time. That's one reason why I was able to win. Well, after having beaten it, I'd so want that console port of Time Crisis 5 already.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Finally got a 1cc in SDOJ. Type A shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy1ioDYUE9k
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

:shock:

Not an easy task! Congrats.
Deadliar

Post by Deadliar »

Stevens wrote:Not an easy task! Congrats.
How's that Space Phallus superplay coming along
Play for fun and win when you can.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Deadliar wrote:
Stevens wrote:Not an easy task! Congrats.
How's that Space Phallus superplay coming along
It's a little flaccid at the moment. Hoping to improve its turgidness in the later levels.
munchiaz

Post by munchiaz »

Got a 1CC in Deathsmiles last week after playing for like a week. Its pretty easy, but it still feels good to get it. I was playing the Steam version, and not sure if this is normal but after i beat it, I let all the credits roll and it didn't allow me to enter my initials. No biggie, score was only 50 million
LichbannMejolaro

Post by LichbannMejolaro »

After a couple of days and 8 or so hours of training, I got my second 1CC (the first being Touhou PCB):

Donpachi!

It feels really good. As I said in another thread, Donpachi plays a lot different from Touhou, since in the former the stages (mainly the last ones) can be brutal, while in the latter the stages are pretty much fillers to the boss fights, which are amazing. Anyway, the run was pretty good for my tastes. Lost a life on boss 4 and got a pretty good stage 5. On the second loop I had no idea what to do, hadn't even saw it yet.

Anyway, I recorded the run and just uploaded to youtube, I hope it is the first of many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkpcLbH5u6w

As for the next game, what do you guys recommend? Should I go for DoDonpachi? DoDonpachi Daioujou?

From the horizontal ones, where should I begin (haven't played any of them yet).
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Congrats on the 1CC!
LichbannMejolaro wrote:As for the next game, what do you guys recommend? Should I go for DoDonpachi? DoDonpachi Daioujou?

From the horizontal ones, where should I begin (haven't played any of them yet).
There's many avenues you could explore that I'm not going to bother listing now, but Dodonpachi is a solid next choice. After all, it is one of the most influential games on the shmup genre, and it still holds up today as one of the most highly-regarded bullet hells.

For horizontal shooters, it depends on what you're looking for. For something in the vein of Irem's R-Type series and Konami's Gradius series, with their checkpoints and environmental hazards and whatnot, then, well... play those games. Also try X-Multiply (also by Irem, similar style to R-Type but a bit easier). If you play Gradius then try Gradius 1, 2 or Gaiden (for Gaiden you'll need a PS1 or PSP emulator unless you've got one of those consoles). Gradius 3 and 4 are notoriously difficult. I've heard Gradius 5 is good but it's only on PS2 and I've heard it's also quite difficult. There's also the Parodius series, of which Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius (PS1/Saturn/PSP) and Sexy Parodius are probably the most accessible. Maybe the SNES version of Gokujou Parodius too, but I've never played that. The other arcade Parodius games (Parodius Da, Gokujou Parodius) are also great, but more brutal in their difficulty.

The Darius series is also popular on this forum. Darius Gaiden and G.Darius are probably the most popular, though the more recent Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours (on Steam, PS4, and PS Vita) is also recommended. Darius in general is more boss-focused and not as heavy with environmental obstacles as the likes of R-Type or Gradius, but isn't quite bullet hell either.

If you want something more bullet hell, go for Progear. The bullet cancelling mechanics make it play somewhat differently from your typical bullet hell, but aside from that it's right at home with the other bullet hells you've played, just turned horizontal. There's also Deathsmiles, which doesn't emulate great in MAME just yet but there are Steam and Xbox 360 ports (the Xbox port being the best version if you can get your hands on it - I'm not sure if they fixed the slowdown issues in the PC port?).
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Congrats on your first arcade clear! Stage 4 and 5 can be really tricky at times. Good job.

Have you played the Japan or the US version of Donpachi?

How many hours did it take you?

Instead of listing some new titles (Shepardus already did a great job here), I also want to suggest thinking about highscore chasing. Clearing is one thing, but playing for score makes you appreciate the game on a whole different level (and we have a whole sub-forum dedicated to that). Moreover, keep in mind, that Donpachi has 2 loops, so you could also aim for a 2-ALL.

There are many ways to go from here on. Looking forward to your next posts! :D
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
LichbannMejolaro

Post by LichbannMejolaro »

Shepardus wrote:Congrats on the 1CC!
LichbannMejolaro wrote:As for the next game, what do you guys recommend? Should I go for DoDonpachi? DoDonpachi Daioujou?

There's many avenues you could explore that I'm not going to bother listing now, but Dodonpachi is a solid next choice. After all, it is one of the most influential games on the shmup genre, and it still holds up today as one of the most highly-regarded bullet hells.

For horizontal shooters, it depends on what you're looking for. For something in the vein of Irem's R-Type series and Konami's Gradius series, with their checkpoints and environmental hazards and whatnot, then, well... play those games. Also try X-Multiply (also by Irem, similar style to R-Type but a bit easier). If you play Gradius then try Gradius 1, 2 or Gaiden (for Gaiden you'll need a PS1 or PSP emulator unless you've got one of those consoles). Gradius 3 and 4 are notoriously difficult. I've heard Gradius 5 is good but it's only on PS2 and I've heard it's also quite difficult. There's also the Parodius series, of which Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius (PS1/Saturn/PSP) and Sexy Parodius are probably the most accessible. Maybe the SNES version of Gokujou Parodius too, but I've never played that. The other arcade Parodius games (Parodius Da, Gokujou Parodius) are also great, but more brutal in their difficulty.

The Darius series is also popular on this forum. Darius Gaiden and G.Darius are probably the most popular, though the more recent Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours (on Steam, PS4, and PS Vita) is also recommended. Darius in general is more boss-focused and not as heavy with environmental obstacles as the likes of R-Type or Gradius, but isn't quite bullet hell either.

If you want something more bullet hell, go for Progear. The bullet cancelling mechanics make it play somewhat differently from your typical bullet hell, but aside from that it's right at home with the other bullet hells you've played, just turned horizontal. There's also Deathsmiles, which doesn't emulate great in MAME just yet but there are Steam and Xbox 360 ports (the Xbox port being the best version if you can get your hands on it - I'm not sure if they fixed the slowdown issues in the PC port?).

The best part of your post is that you said that you wouldn't bother listing anything and yet you gave me a pretty big list.

SOme very interesting games there. As a matter of fact, I have access to Gradius Gaiden on my PSP, maybe I'll try it. Gradius 1 and 2 I think I can emulate easily, so they might be good picks as well.

Parodius is a series that seems extremely nice (at least the bosses I saw looks amazing), and I definitely plan to give it a go at some point.

Since a lot of the games you recommended are available on Steam, I might get them all already as well!

Thanks for the post, I'll certainly try to play all of those games at some point.