Micomsoft XCAPTURE-1 USB 3.0 Capture Unit

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
tzakiel

Re: Micomsoft XCAPTURE-1 USB 3.0 Capture Unit

Post by tzakiel »

Siro, im trying to capture the output of a pc, which is running groovymame which throws all kinds of low resolutions depending on the game. The pc is hooked up to a jamma jpac so I can play on a cab and I want to capture fromm it as well. Because of the odd resolutions and rates the framemeister doesn't work well and often says no signal.

Options are vga splitter direct to the xcapture rgb port (this seems to cause tearing), RGB scart from
Jamma to the xcapture (here I am not sure if I should convert it to component / D first or just to vga) or I can get s video from jamma via another splitter but for me that caused a lot of rainbow shimmering on edges, way worse than it should be.
tzakiel

Post by tzakiel »

Actually I have it working fine now via the framemeister. I think I was trying to capture the wrong res and it was losing signal.
nio

Post by nio »

I want macos drivers and software!
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Can anyone share their AmaRecTV settings? I'm getting random freezes and I'm close to just giving up on this capture card. I went from Windows 10 to Windows 7 SP1 because I thought maybe it was just not working properly in 10. But its doing the same thing.

I'm using AmaRecTV + AmaRec Live in OBS and both HDMI and Component inputs just randomly freeze (can be within 30 seconds or over an hour), the picture just sticks in AmaRecTVs preview window and I get a splash screen in OBS. I don't even have to stream just leave them run side by side.

I saw changing the decimal in date/time settings might fix the issue but made no difference for me. Maybe because my Windows is in English UK?

I'm using the latest drivers from Startech released in January 2017.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I capture in 240p so I'm not sure if my settings will be useful to you.

Also I don't live stream. (no OBS no nothing. Just AmarecTV.)

But I can still share my settings if you want.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Please do, also the driver settings if you wouldn't mind.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

AaronSR wrote:Please do, also the driver settings if you wouldn't mind.
The recommended driver is the one uploaded somewhere by a guy called theThrillness. But I use the stock driver I had with my USB3HDCAP which is this one :

DriverVer = 07/08/2014, 1.1.0.129 ; INF VERSION

Here are my driver settings for 240p consoles via RGB :

I use Amarec 3.10. Here are my settings(framerate below is for NTSC NES, obviously) :

In this one below, a framerate of "999" supposedly ensures that the framerate you've indicated in the Graph 1 tab is respected. The filter option in my case enables the line-doubling I've checked in the tab above.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Yeah I might try an older driver, there's also more options it seems.

Not sure if you're using Windows 7 but there's an option to disable Aero, do you use that and does it make any difference?
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yes I use Windows 7!

I currently have Aero disabled but I'm not sure if that was necessary. You could try it. I do however increase the priority of AmarecTV to "High".
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Yeah I'm testing a few more things before trying those drivers. Aero didn't fix it it froze after 40 minutes. However the audio was still coming through, so its just the video it seems. I'm also guessing its something to do with the color range because on the status it says

SIGNAL COLORIMETRY: UNKNOWN
SIGNAL COLORRANGE: UNKNOWN

(this is a PS3 via HDMI)

Also quick question on 240p, does it come through as 720X240 or 1440X240? The latter is what I get (240p through component).
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

AaronSR wrote:Yeah I'm testing a few more things before trying those drivers. Aero didn't fix it it froze after 40 minutes. However the audio was still coming through, so its just the video it seems. I'm also guessing its something to do with the color range because on the status it says

SIGNAL COLORIMETRY: UNKNOWN
SIGNAL COLORRANGE: UNKNOWN

(this is a PS3 via HDMI)

Also quick question on 240p, does it come through as 720X240 or 1440X240? The latter is what I get (240p through component).
720x240 for me

It gives you 1440x240 even when you specify 720x240 in the "Graph1 (Device)" tab? That's weird
Last edited by FinalBaton on Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

If you ever want to try an older driver then I can try and upload mine
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Nordicus0114

Post by Nordicus0114 »

I am wondering if this capture card is compatible with Adobe Premiere CC, I am planning to just record game play footage and edit, much help will be appreciated
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

Trying TheThrillness' drivers now. Also I'm using YUY2 instead of RGB24/32, not sure if that makes a difference outside of recordings however.

Yeah I give up

Works randomly for up to like an hour ish and then freezes, try to refresh in AmaRecTV and it just loses connection completely.

UPDATE: This evening I tried something else. I uninstalled TheThrillness's Micomsoft drivers and am again using the latest ones from Startech because 240p was coming through as 1440X240 anyway and also results in a BSOD when restarting PS2 (probably related to having deinterlacing on).

This time after rebooting after the uninstall, I manually installed the drivers within Device Manager, rather than the actual installer. AmaRec Live uses 32 bit drivers, so I thought I'd give the Startech 32 bit drivers a go. Over 3 hours later - still going without locking up the capture card. So here's 4 possibilities:

1. I got lucky and it still randomly freezes
2. The 32 bit drivers work and 64 bit don't (64 bit work fine if only using OBS)
3. I need to install the drivers every time I reboot (maybe some setting gets changed upon Windows boot?)
4. Don't change any of the resolutions/framerates/colorspaces in AmarecTV itself (Graph1) - otherwise reinstall drivers after changing

Will continue testing.

UPDATE:

3. I need to install the drivers every time I reboot (maybe some setting gets changed upon Windows boot?)

Rebooted, left running for 3+ hours with no freeze. Either that's insane luck, or I'm onto something. Tomorrow I'll try changing the Graph1 settings (not the Device/Driver Settings), right now I have it set to:

720X480P 59.94FPS (YUY2-16bit)
and try
1280X720P 59.94FPS (RGB-32bit)

(This is, again running PS3) the resolution on the PS3 is actually set to 720p but you can simply downscale it in AmaRec and OBS, shouldn't affect it.
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

So, I went ahead and built a Ryzen system this week and uh, while grabbing drivers for the XCAP to see if it would work, it would seem they put out new drivers a couple weeks ago. Quite a surprise. Also, I can use my XCAP on Ryzen though judging from the Google Translate, YMMV and still recommend to grab an expansion card with Renesas chipset but hey, it works for me?

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xcapture-1_download.htm

SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Over the weekend I downloaded the new 1.1.0.178.0. I only tested 240p over the VGA-style port, but wasn't successful in getting them to work. Here is what I witnessed:

1. "No Signal" showed up compressed horizontally.
2. When provided a signal, the screen would go black (indicating it picked up the sync), but never display the image.
3. Audio worked fine.
4. Same results in VideoKeeper and AmaRecTV.
5. AmaRec displayed an uneven frame rate in its status bar: it fluttered close to 50fps on a 60fps input.

I reverted to the 141 driver with all its funky color juggling.

Anybody else have success with 240p on the new 178 drivers?
ramunegaming

Post by ramunegaming »

Hi guys, I've recently built a retro pc rig that runs windows 98. My plan is to capture retro games via the Xcapture-1 VGA port. I've however run into a problem, I can capture the pc fine doesn't seem to show any problems however when I try to run a DOS game I lose signal and get the audio all slowed down an distorted. Sort of like it's trying to capture. I was wondering if anyone could help me? maybe its due to windows 98? If I run a non-DOS game its fine

Any help would be appreciated I was meant to use this tonight but I might have to hold off if no one can help :S
Blair

Post by Blair »

native dos games can run at odd resolutions and refresh rates (640x400 70hz), and i'm thinking the XCAPTURE-1 is looking for a 60hz or close to that rate, and i'm not sure what it supports (I don't have one to test) but i'm thinking you might be able to alter a parameter at lest to display a signal in the capture window. what program are you using to record with? (have you tried AmaRecTV? or stream catcher?). has anything ever worked via the VGA input on your unit? if the HDMI ports work you could try getting a cheap VGA to HDMI transcoder (just to see if it does anything)

also, you could try adjusting the resolution and refresh rate of the game so it outputs at something more standardized. (640x480 60hz)
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

ramunegaming wrote:Hi guys, I've recently built a retro pc rig that runs windows 98. My plan is to capture retro games via the Xcapture-1 VGA port. I've however run into a problem, I can capture the pc fine doesn't seem to show any problems however when I try to run a DOS game I lose signal and get the audio all slowed down an distorted. Sort of like it's trying to capture. I was wondering if anyone could help me? maybe its due to windows 98? If I run a non-DOS game its fine

Any help would be appreciated I was meant to use this tonight but I might have to hold off if no one can help :S
The games you cited are mostly 256 color 320x240 (ModeX) and 320x200 (ModeX / Mode 13h). I would suggest trying the previous drivers (141). Get something working with a known-good source to make sure anything works.
ramunegaming

Post by ramunegaming »

Do you mean this driver iteration? Video Keeper2_v1.1.0.140.1 + Driver v1.1.0.140? To downgrade the driver do I just install it and it overwrites my current one?
ramunegaming

Post by ramunegaming »

Ok got a bit of an update now. I've installed the old drivers and it seems to be capturing DOS games now however, at a very zoomed in way

Heres an example: https://imgur.com/a/fwtzh
Blair

Post by Blair »

that's some pretty good progress at least, I wonder if some type of "overscan" or zoom setting that needs to be adjusted...
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

1. Can you paste a picture of the “CUSTOM PROPERTIES” settings (the main one for the XCapture-1 where you select the input)? Do this while the game is running so we can see what res the card is detecting.
2. Post the OBS window dims and canvas size? This will rule out any cropping/scaling that might be happening there.
3. Does it render at all in VideoKeeper?
ramunegaming

Post by ramunegaming »

You make a good point. It's very similar looking to when overscan is messed up. However, with no options to change anything like this I'm kind of out of ideas unless someone here can give some suggestions.
ramunegaming

Post by ramunegaming »

Here's the images you requested: https://imgur.com/a/9VbvF

As for VideoKeeper, I've never been able to get it to work. If I try to switch inputs it just crashes.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

ramunegaming wrote:Here's the images you requested: https://imgur.com/a/9VbvF

As for VideoKeeper, I've never been able to get it to work. If I try to switch inputs it just crashes.
Can you confirm that you have the 141 driver? Your capture indicates 140. You can get 141 here: http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/XCAPTURE-1_D ... _141_5.zip

I don't remember how to navigate original OBS, but I believe you can right click (or edit the INI file) to find out the dimensions of the window that your capture is in. How many pixels wide by how many tall is it? And is there any scaling? I remember getting screwed by a crop (maybe holding Alt or Shift while setting the size?).

Try the following:
* Turn off the Auto-Scaling and then reboot the whole system
* Try turning off Auto Phase
* Try setting pixel ratio to 1:1
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Interesting. I note that the input resolution is being detected as 640x300 @ 70hz. That is probably affecting things. See if any of the above clear it up.
ramunegaming

Post by ramunegaming »

Unfortunately, none of the options above have helped. Not even the driver version you recommended. As you can see from my pictures when capturing the computer without a game running it's a full capture. It's only when the DOS game runs that it seems to cut the bottom of the screen off. I feel like we're so close to the solution :S

As for cropping, there is no crop on the capture via OBS. These are indicated by green lines when you click the 'edit scene' button.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

...and making the window extra large vertically just stretches the (improperly cropped) image, right?
ramunegaming

Post by ramunegaming »

That is correct. I'm positive its to do with the capture card. Do you know if there is an older driver anywhere?