DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Immryr

Re: DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

Post by Immryr »

i just bought this game on steam..... am i going crazy or is there no way to pause the game, or no way to get out of arcade mode back to the main menu so you can try a different mode? what am i missing here?
qmish

Post by qmish »

There is pause and going back :shock: i dont remember exact way currently sorry but they exist
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

it's esc, which i'm sure i had tried but i guess not. anyone know if it's possible to change it to the start button on my controller?

i don't see it in the settings...
Last edited by Immryr on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Immryr wrote:it's esc, which i'm sure i had tried but i guess not. anyone know if it's possible to change it to the start button on my conroller?
AC Mode doesn't have a pause because you don't want your arcade game to be paused indefinitely so someone can hog it all day, though they probably forgot to patch one in for the home release of AC Mode.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
CBM

Post by CBM »

It is socially acceptable to poop your pants when you cannot go to the john during an intense arcade mode battle. No questions asked.
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

Immryr wrote:anyone know if it's possible to change it to the start button on my controller?
Use Xpadder
John4300

Post by John4300 »

At least on my Xbox360 controller (And Xinput compatible controllers) start button pauses the game on AC and gives a menu. Not sure of the keyboard. It might be F1-F12, I think F1 works as a "Start" button to start the game. It's been a while since I've played and I might be talking crap here.

Anyhow, alternative way to change buttons is Steam's own software: Big Picture Mode has a tool where you can configure controllers (Even Xinput and Dinput controllers), change their keybinds and use it similarly to joy2key and bind keyboard keys to joystick.

You can access these from Steam desktop's settings, there is controllers on bottom of the list in settings. They sadly also open up Big Picture. I do not know do the configs work outside of big picture anyhow. It's quite a hassle compared to joy2key.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

I picked this up during the recent sale. I'm not much into horis but I really like this one so far. I was skeptical of the game when I saw it had 3000+ stages because with that many there's no way they're any good. Fortunately it's more like they made ~30 good stages and copy pasted them 100 times each in various modes.

Is there any data available on how much damage the different ships and weapons do? It'd be nice to know if there are any ships where it's better to stay with shot or laser instead of upgrading all the way to wave. I find Assault to be the easiest AC mode ship to survive with, but I like the fixed burst system so I use Next a lot too.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Vanguard wrote:It'd be nice to know if there are any ships where it's better to stay with shot or laser instead of upgrading all the way to wave.
I think most of the ships are like that, at least in terms of raw damage. Also, different shot types cancel different types of enemy projectiles.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

If I remember correctly, the mid-level wave for Gaiden gives more burst gauge than the fully powered shot. I'm not sure if there are similar interactions with other ships but I wouldn't be surprised.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

That's pretty interesting. Sounds like you'd definitely want to stop upgrading if you were playing for score, maybe for survival too.

Lasers seem like they'd be inherently worse against bosses since you have to wait for the shot to pass off of the edge of the screen instead of getting a new shot as soon as your first one hits the boss. Maybe the damage per shot is high enough to compensate, but they feel weaker to me.

Anyway, this game would make a really great introduction to shmups. The difficulty's relatively mild but still has to be taken seriously, the shorter missions make failure less frustrating, and CS mode is both an answer to the "20 minute game" complaint and a solid training mode in disguise.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Immryr wrote:i just bought this game on steam..... am i going crazy or is there no way to pause the game, or no way to get out of arcade mode back to the main menu so you can try a different mode? what am i missing here?
Pausing works fine here. Should just be Escape.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Despatche wrote:
Immryr wrote:i just bought this game on steam..... am i going crazy or is there no way to pause the game, or no way to get out of arcade mode back to the main menu so you can try a different mode? what am i missing here?
Pausing works fine here. Should just be Escape.
yeah it's escape, but there is no way to map that to a stick/controller without using an external program like joy2key. i can't really get my head round that to be honest.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Here's the scoring system as I understand it, let me know if I've got anything wrong. Your ship has a multiplier that builds up as you kill enemies, and its maximum varies by ship. Weapons also have multipliers, most are x1 but burst attacks tend to be higher. Counterbursts have the best multipliers and should be used wherever possible, especially on bosses. When you kill an enemy you score enemy value times ship multiplier times weapon multiplier. There's also a bonus for destroying the last enemy in an enemy group, and the weapon multiplier of whatever you finished the last enemy in the group is used for the bonus.
Immryr wrote:yeah it's escape, but there is no way to map that to a stick/controller without using an external program like joy2key. i can't really get my head round that to be honest.
On an xbox controller, pause is start and B will let you go back from the arcade mode screen to the title screen. You can only back out before you get to the screen where you choose between AC, AC EX, and Chronicle modes.
FER

Post by FER »

Yeah, thats pretty much how the scoring system works minus the differences between ships (assault gets best multiplier on burst explosion, genesis gets the best by killing with your options)

Also I believe what makes the Gaiden ship charge the burst gauge faster with the green wave also applies to other ships. Basically "laser shot charges bar faster on certain situations".
By certain situations I mean enemies and bosses consisting of multiple bodyparts that can be destroyed individually. For some reason every ship's wave shot counts as if its hitting only one target instead (gaiden's green wave doesnt count since its still on the "laser shot" tier)
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Also note that your overarching score multiplier is applied to destroying boss parts, so aim to destroy those with a Counterburst or Burst when possible. Destroying enemies with your Fixed Burst doesn't award you the Burst Multiplier.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

I played through ORV three times as Formula to compare its weapons. My fastest golden ruler kill of the three was when I was using missiles, laser and wave were about the same. So far as I can tell, each weapon does comparable damage, but upgrading comes with a reduction in range. With missiles, Formula's range isn't so bad. You should only use Formula's laser if you need its piercing or cancelling properties, and wave's range is so short that you probably shouldn't use it at all. None of the kills were meaningfully faster than what I get with Next, so I think the only real reason to go with Formula is its speed. Despite what the game says about Formula's weapon strength, Legend with its point blank bombs is the damage monster of the fixed burst ships.

Edit:

Cleared QUZ and got the ending to CS mode. I hear there's an alternate ending to CS mode which I still haven't found. Hopefully it's not for 100% completion. Anyway, great game.
Last edited by Vanguard on Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
FER

Post by FER »

Well... sorry but thats the case.

Clearing all missions in CS mode unlocking a secret mission. Nothing special about it other than a blue variant of the crab boss.
The ending is pretty much the credits scroll; there is some text before but its nothing worth mentioning. The biggest thing is that a joke boss appears during the credits sequence (a superlong iron fossil)
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Every time this thread becomes active again I hope that Degica has announced DLC for an all zones AC course and/or the ability to use the DLC ships in the AC courses.

Fingers crossed for a fan mod, I guess.
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

^ ^ Yep, same here. Devs, take note. Should have done this months ago. A small task, which would add so much to the game...
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Agreed, the game's biggest flaw is that an AC mode playthrough feels a bit insubstantial with only three stages. One or two more would go a long way.
qmish

Post by qmish »

That's debatable :roll: many people prefer 3 stages version compared to original psp 5 stages version
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

Surely not, lol!
I'm holding out for a 24 stage marathon like Darius Gaiden haha
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Vanguard wrote:Agreed, the game's biggest flaw is that an AC mode playthrough feels a bit insubstantial with only three stages. One or two more would go a long way.
In CS mode, you eventually unlock very challenging "gauntlet" missions that are longer than AC mode. Some unique bosses in there too.

You just gotta play through a looooooooot of repetition to reach them.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

^I think you can just buy those stages for DLC mode although I'm not sure which packs they come with.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
qmish

Post by qmish »

CS mode is longer from the start, giving you 5-8 stages per mission, nah?
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Vanguard wrote:Agreed, the game's biggest flaw is that an AC mode playthrough feels a bit insubstantial with only three stages. One or two more would go a long way.
I think the three stage game is fine - it makes Dariusburst feel like more of a scoring game than a survival game (with the exception of certain paths) which is entirely my bag. But I'd also love the chance to have a Gaiden Extra-esque All Stages mode, and a lot of the DLC ships are fun and it would be nice to play the AC courses with them. DBAC is perfect - but I would love the option to put a few twists on it for fun as a CS bonus.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

An all rounds option might be interesting. Something would have to be done to prevent the shield system from snowballing into immortality.
Squire Grooktook wrote:In CS mode, you eventually unlock very challenging "gauntlet" missions that are longer than AC mode. Some unique bosses in there too.

You just gotta play through a looooooooot of repetition to reach them.
Yeah I know, I cleared CS mode. Unless you mean the 100% completion missions anyway. It'll be a while before I get through the remaining ~80 missions. CS mode is pretty cool conceptually. I bet lots of people would be more willing to give shmups a chance if Super Mario World maps were a common feature. They'd have been much better off going with a smaller number of missions and putting in more effort to ensure each one stands out, though.

Anyway, I find arcade mode preferable over CS mode for a number of reasons. I like the classic branching level paths, the super widescreen playing field, the ability to play any (non murakumo, non dlc) ship, starting with no items and building up, and the shield levels are also more sane in AC mode than the 40+ hit nonsense you run into in CS mode.

I've pretty much settled on Next as my ship of choice. Genesis would be a contender if it wasn't garbage - it should have sacrificed the defense of fixed bursts for superior offensive power! Instead you just work harder for no advantage, at least when playing for survival.
qmish

Post by qmish »

40+ hit nonsense
we, mere mortals, need those shields

it's balanced accrediting overall difficulty of mission

many times i "barely did that" only having last shield or smth
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

qmish wrote:
40+ hit nonsense
we, mere mortals, need those shields

it's balanced accrediting overall difficulty of mission

many times i "barely did that" only having last shield or smth
The difficulty curve in CS Mode might be boring at first to veterans but should be enjoyable enough for newcomers. I do like how it doubles as a Practice Mode because of how stages and bosses are reused, considering you'd be replaying stages and bosses over and over in AC Mode anyways to get better. CS Mode dresses your progression up in a campaign package where even small victories will net you progress, which should please those just in it for the survival. And your hitbox in DBCS is comparatively larger where you're more liable to take damage compared to any CAVE shmup, as it usually has been in Darius games, so more shields are always appreciated.

t. someone who beat Gigantic Bite after being reduced to zero lives and shields
Xyga wrote: