iOS 32bit CAVE games soon incompatible

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
waiwainl

iOS 32bit CAVE games soon incompatible

Post by waiwainl »

For a few weeks I get the message that my CAVE game, on my iOS device, will not be working any more in the near future, unless the maker of the game takes action.

I read that Apple, with the next iOS update will only allow 64-bit applications and most the CAVE's (I don't know about the last 2, which I didn't buy) are 32-bit.

Does anyone know if CAVE JP already announced they will update their games?

A simple recompile will do the trick. At least I can continue the use my purchased goods. :-/
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
DJ Incompetent

Re: iOS 32bit CAVE games soon incompatible

Post by DJ Incompetent »

I stayed at iOS 8 anticipating this.
What a strange way to erase a library.
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

DJ Incompetent wrote:I stayed at iOS 8 anticipating this.
im staying on iOS10, so that i wont have that issue until CAVE decides (if at all) to recompile the games for 64bit. That's some BS move and i'd hate to lose all of my CAVE games (bought most of them) just for an OS change.
SuperPang wrote:Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

Ah, the joy of digital downloads.

Anyway, from what I gather it's more than just a recompile. Apple makes you add other adjustments, too, when compiling for a newer OS revision (the prime example was the mandatory retina support at some point).
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

I hope CAVE updates them just like Taito's RAY Series (RayForce,RayStorm,RayCrisis)
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
yosai

Post by yosai »

Kaspal wrote:That's some BS move and i'd hate to lose all of my CAVE games (bought most of them) just for an OS change.
Let's hope they don't go the way of the Android ports. The Android L update broke them the developer wouldn't update them then they got pulled from the store.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Yeah this is what i hate: iOS updates fucking up apps/games. Thats why i have to ipads with ios7 and ios10 and hopefully will prevent 2nd one from ios11.

also keep in mind i spent more on music making apps than on games there hahahaha
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I am so glad I sold my last Apple device years ago ..
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

Looks like on iOS 11, it will never run. I agree CAVE should update them, like what Taito did with RayForce, RayStorm, and RayCrisis.
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

Thanks for the heads up - I had no idea. I only play games on my iPod Touch so I'll be sure not to update.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Based on what happened to the Android ports, you can use the time to say a proper good bye to them. At least you had them playable for more than just a year.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Proper emulation of this awful market cannot come soon enough.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
qmish

Post by qmish »

It's sad truth for anyone who use iOS apps seriously - you have to keep old devices with old OS for your needs.
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

qmish wrote:It's sad truth for anyone who use iOS apps seriously - you have to keep old devices with old OS for your needs.
Btw, the same is true for iOS developers.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Despatche wrote:Proper emulation of this awful market cannot come soon enough.
Cheap older model iPod touch and jailbreaking seems an easier solution. No emulation issues since you're running on original hardware, and if you're looking to emulate you likely weren't going to pay for the game anyway.

$50 or so and you can be on your way to playing all the 32-bit iOS games your heart desires.
qmish

Post by qmish »

schleichfahrt wrote:
qmish wrote:It's sad truth for anyone who use iOS apps seriously - you have to keep old devices with old OS for your needs.
Btw, the same is true for iOS developers.
Yeah Apple doesn't let devs use SDK that support older os that they want :x

And as I said 90% of my app purchases are synthesizers, drummachines etc music making apps

And I can use one synth for years and years
davyK

Post by davyK »

Apple - over priced hardware with obselence by design.

Fuck Apple and eveything they stand for. The sooner the consumer world opens their eyes to their irrelevance with respect to anything of meaning the better.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Nah

Android is even worse

Anyway as long devs of what I need stay there, I'm with them

Sound/musicmaking and design/drawing software library is wonderful on ipad

But fuck those updates

Also too bad Macs are not as cool as they were with IBM Power PC CPUs :P
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Kaspal wrote:
im staying on iOS10, so that i wont have that issue until CAVE decides (if at all) to recompile the games for 64bit. That's some BS move and i'd hate to lose all of my CAVE games (bought most of them) just for an OS change.
What is your exact iOS version bro? 10.2..?? I'm trying to find a 2nd hand Ipad mini 2 specifically for the Cave games, but i need to know the last iOS that the games support.

Already found a cheap one in perfect condition, but just my luck, with iOS 11 installed :(

Thanks man!
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

el_rika wrote:
Kaspal wrote:
What is your exact iOS version bro? 10.2..?? I'm trying to find a 2nd hand Ipad mini 2 specifically for the Cave games, but i need to know the last iOS that the games support.

Already found a cheap one in perfect condition, but just my luck, with iOS 11 installed :(

Thanks man!
Any iOS version prior to v11 will do the trick. I'm on v10.3.3 and they still work. I'm usually the kind of user who waits a couple months before upgrading, but it seems i wont be jumping to iOS 11 until i get another apple device... which wont happen anytime soon.
SuperPang wrote:Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

Kaspal wrote: Any iOS version prior to v11 will do the trick. I'm on v10.3.3 and they still work. I'm usually the kind of user who waits a couple months before upgrading, but it seems i wont be jumping to iOS 11 until i get another apple device... which wont happen anytime soon.
I am also in iOS 10.3.3 but my brother is on iOS11.

Farewell.
blackpawn

Post by blackpawn »

Is there any word if the developer is going to update them for 64bit? They are the most expensive games I bought on my iPad.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Not that I am aware off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Kaspal wrote:
Any iOS version prior to v11 will do the trick. I'm on v10.3.3 and they still work. I'm usually the kind of user who waits a couple months before upgrading, but it seems i wont be jumping to iOS 11 until i get another apple device... which wont happen anytime soon.
Yeah, last saturday i finally got a second hand Ipad Mini 2 for a little over 100 Euro. Every seller i called and asked about the iOS version, was bragging about how they have the latest one (11). They were unpleasantly surprised when i told them that's exactly what i didn't want :roll:
I finally found a guy with 10.3.3 and actually asked him on the phone to download DDpachi HD lite from App store and test it. He helped me, great guy.

Except for Espgaluda 2 HD, Daioujou and Deathsmiles (planing to get them later), i got the rest. Ressurection HD, Bug Princess and Bug Princess 2 are amazing games, really the best of the genre and they play amazingly smooth with the touch controls.
Unfortunately the Mini2 is not powerful enough to emulate Ketsui, Espgaluda 1 and Psykio games, but all other Cave/shmup games (Donpachi, Dodonpachi, Garregga, Esprade, Bakraid, Progear) work amazing in iFBA, complete with follow finger controls, which make them a completely new experience.

Btw, is it worth it geting Bug Princess 2 Black Label as well?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The iOS port of Deathsmiles has Mi-Fi controller support so you can use an iOS bluetooth gamepad or arcade stick instead of using the default touch-scteen interface setup.

It's worth getting all the Cave iOS ports indeed including that particular Cave shmup title you've mentioned, el_rika.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

el_rika wrote:
Kaspal wrote:
Yeah, last saturday i finally got a second hand Ipad Mini 2 for a little over 100 Euro. Every seller i called and asked about the iOS version, was bragging about how they have the latest one (11). They were unpleasantly surprised when i told them that's exactly what i didn't want :roll:
I finally found a guy with 10.3.3 and actually asked him on the phone to download DDpachi HD lite from App store and test it. He helped me, great guy.

Except for Espgaluda 2 HD, Daioujou and Deathsmiles (planing to get them later), i got the rest. Ressurection HD, Bug Princess and Bug Princess 2 are amazing games, really the best of the genre and they play amazingly smooth with the touch controls.
Unfortunately the Mini2 is not powerful enough to emulate Ketsui, Espgaluda 1 and Psykio games, but all other Cave/shmup games (Donpachi, Dodonpachi, Garregga, Esprade, Bakraid, Progear) work amazing in iFBA, complete with follow finger controls, which make them a completely new experience.

Btw, is it worth it geting Bug Princess 2 Black Label as well?

Where did you get Progear from? It’s not on the App Store and I can’t find any mention of an iOS port.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

el_rika said in the post that he used iFBA, which is an arcade emulator for iOS.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

wasilewski wrote:

Where did you get Progear from? It’s not on the App Store and I can’t find any mention of an iOS port.
yeah, as Shepardus said, it's played in iFBA, which is an arcade games emulator for iOS. It runs great for CPS1, CPS2 (which Progear is based on), first generation Cave system and NeoGeo, on a fairly old hardware (Mini 2).
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

el_rika wrote:
wasilewski wrote:

yeah, as Shepardus said, it's played in iFBA, which is an arcade games emulator for iOS. It runs great for CPS1, CPS2 (which Progear is based on), first generation Cave system and NeoGeo, on a fairly old hardware (Mini 2).
Thank you!
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

blackpawn wrote:Is there any word if the developer is going to update them for 64bit? They are the most expensive games I bought on my iPad.
Well, if not then CAVE shmups fo iOS will not be opened in iOS 11.

This is one big problem.

Farewell.