... and it made me smile.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Blinge

Re: ... and it made me smile.

Post by Blinge »

1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Sumez wrote:With that in mind, this guy is obviously just as biased. I wouldn't be able to tell the full history of videogames and completely omit even realising the existance of PC-88 or PC-Engine, that just seems absurd to me. Also notice how "arcade games" in articles like this is almost always redelegated to a single "generation" that existed in the 70s and early 80s.
Since this thread is back on the front page, I wanted to add that while Felipe did write up an article on early Japanese role-playing games and the Japanese home computers of the time (FM-7, PC88, etc.) just last year. So it's not like he isn't aware of their existence, more that he hasn't looked deep enough to be able to include them in his survey.

I will admit that his decision to dismiss most of the arcade scene is quite poor, but on the other hand, it's clear that he's more interested in non-action games. An obvious bias, yes, but it's not like that can't be remedied.
Sumez wrote:Also, as a final comment, this may show some of my own bias, but I always felt like the video game side of those classic European computer systems is almost solely important for historical (and nostalgic) reasons, showing the ambitions and creativity of early game developers, but very rarely actually offering truly solid and timeless gameplay experiences that still stand strong today. There's a reason Super Mario Bros. is still held in high regard, while people will mainly bring up Shadow of the Beast for its parallax scrolling.
Once again, you might want to try looking more into the adventure/RPG side of things, where these platforms fared better.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Two young ladies were at the bus stop before me

I have a huge rucksack on

A very British infinite loop of "no, after you" ensues
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Google translates 怒首領蜂大往生 (Dodonpachi Dai-ou-jou) as Stupid Angelic Bees Greatly Strangled.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Mortificator wrote:Google translates 怒首領蜂大往生 (Dodonpachi Dai-ou-jou) as Stupid Angelic Bees Greatly Strangled.
Bing translates it as Mad-chief bee peaceful within a Bing search. The translation on the Bing translator website is Angry chieftain Bee Away. The Honey Nut Cheerios Bee translates it as Bee Happy, Bee Healthy.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I got my Saturn working again! :lol:
Turns out it wasn't fried, there were bridged pins and a loose connector cable -- split them apart and reseated the cable, all was good, fired up Virtual On for the first time in ages!
installing pseudosaturn is a fucking nightmare though, I can't get the swap to work on this thing, not to mention the fact that the Saturn's cartridge port is the most finicky thing ever -- would be really nice if I knew someone else who had a modded Saturn, hard or soft,
would make my life a hell of a lot easier, could just boot it there/use their cart to boot and then do the install

edit: holy shit it's installed
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://twitter.com/OPauloAlmeida/statu ... 5340887041
"As long as there's a beer to save, terrorism will never win"
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Friend of Shmupsforum and all-round nice bloke Rev Stuart Cambell has been arrested for mean tweets!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-sco ... s-41009988

P.S. Raiden III sucks
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh wow, suddenly this newfangled Tweets of Rage bullshit feels just a little closer to home. D:
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

My thoughts exactly. I had to do the proverbial double take, on Sly Cherry Chunks post.
They will have the Rev., by fair means or foul.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Surface details of Antares, motherfuckers!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Sly Cherry Chunks

^deserves more replies than Stuart Tosspot is in the nick.

Antares looked like a nice place 550 years ago.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Retinal injuries, LOL!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Guess he knew better than those science guys.
My lord, I have come for you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Whether he really fucked his eyes up or not, I'd like to think his more clueless followers might twig that "sungazing" is a very retarded idea that will cook your eyeballs from the inside out. It would be an example of twitter shitposts being useful! Darwin Award principle. :O

I was pleased to see Matt Hoss has lost his lawsuit against H3H3 Productions. If none of that sentence meant anything to you, I sympathise! I've little interest in or affinity for Youtube/other online content creation bollocks. However the suit was clearly a crock of "muh hurt feefees" shit with some unfortunate implications for Fair Use doctrine, and it's faintly reassuring the judge shot it down. I wonder if he'll appeal, or if he'd even have the funds/legal counsel to do so? Ooh, courtroom drama.

Summary of Matt Hoss and the suit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyQkYL_cLL0
Lengthy commentary on judgment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czSN137Kr_k
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Matt Hoss has the self awareness of an infant and is emotionally retarded.
On first seeing this laughing stock, one is hard pressed to call satire or real. That face and body language . . . dear God.

Having said that and lawsuit aside, H3H3 is a bit too kosher to be kosher.
I can accept that, just maybe, they and the DeFrancos and other big youtumours made it all on their very own and that they were not cynically chosen tone setters but I highly doubt it.
Its all fucking theatre.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Being able to buy potions irl is one thing, but that's just ridiculous. :lol:
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

And people will still buy it, even if it's crappy.

Heck, I can see people selling them 10 years from now after buying and storing in an air-conditioned vault, along with their VGA-graded copies of Crystal Chronicles.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

The original Japanese releases of Konami GB Collection vol. 1-4 sport menus featuring girls from Tokimeki Memorial! Unfortunately, a sort of 'AKB syndrome' is in effect so there's only Shiori, Saki, Ayako, and Miharu (the stars of the three VN spin-offs... can't be a coincidence) rather than Mio, Nozomi, Megumi, Yumi, etc.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BIL

Post by BIL »

Suddenly can't access the forum in Chrome. :[ On my ancient PC, Firefox sucks big dick, so waaa. However while googling "shmups forum" to check I had the correct URL, I stumbled over another old Friend of Shmups Forum! :3

Many years later, pathological message board autist stanches his still-gushing mangina with tissue of lies

What a jammy little cunt! :O I can't believe he's still promoting the feverishly self-fellating narrative I shot full of holes all those years ago. I was always small potaters in the grand story of Edmond The Mad, though. Longtime fans of home-sourced farm crazy may appreciate the man himself's post-mortem of his brief but memorably batshit time here. ;-;7 Also some full-blown Jesse Ventura-esque conspiritarding towards the end. :shock:
I tend to parrot attitudes and opinions of those I see around me without much thought.
Explains a lot. You gotta use your loaf kids. 3;
Sly Cherry Chunks

^
the only connection I had to My Little Pony was having once criticized the hell out of it when it was brought up. I hate that show.
<//3 :( :( :(
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

BIL wrote:Suddenly can't access the forum in Chrome. :[ On my ancient PC, Firefox sucks big dick, so waaa. However while googling "shmups forum" to check I had the correct URL, I stumbled over another old Friend of Shmups Forum! :3

Many years later, pathological message board autist stanches his still-gushing mangina with tissue of lies

What a jammy little cunt! :O I can't believe he's still promoting the feverishly self-fellating narrative I shot full of holes all those years ago. I was always small potaters in the grand story of Edmond The Mad, though. Longtime fans of home-sourced farm crazy may appreciate the man himself's post-mortem of his brief but memorably batshit time here. ;-;7 Also some full-blown Jesse Ventura-esque conspiritarding towards the end. :shock:
I tend to parrot attitudes and opinions of those I see around me without much thought.
Explains a lot. You gotta use your loaf kids. 3;
I remember that dude. He was full on crazy! I kind of remember that fan fic shit he talked about in that post you link to above, didn't he kill people with names like skyboy or some shit, like really thinly veiled cringe worthy shit?

Also, hello
BIL

Post by BIL »

IIRC, Sky Boy was jailed for contempt of court, while our vindicated author went home and enjoyed conversing with a "Twilight Sparkle" over the "Ponyternet". :wink: edit: oh god lmao, I forgot Roo archived the whole psychotic episode here

As for my own humble encounters... like a dogshit & gravel brownie, that post packs a whole lotta nasty lies into a limited surface area. :shock: I will not blight the thread by unleashing my full autismal fury (more detail could most definitely be gone into, complete with links) but pls let me indulge on a couple generalities. ¦3 Perhaps it is my training in a vocation that leans more towards the reals than the feels, but I cannot resist a little correcting of the record! That is how I (and god knows how many others) got dragged into this nutter's angry little world in the first place. 3;
Soon after the post OP linked, I got into a discussion where I briefly mentioned feeling that Ninja Gaiden for NES was unfair.
More like several months before. Your chimp rage and subsequent burnout long preceded that groveling thread, and awkward posts like this. Oof, I can't stand at your throat/at your feet types.
One member even supported me... only to find himself getting bullied and harrassed for doing so.
Behold... THE BRUTAL HARASSMENT OF SATORI-KUN. Fuck! The later post where Satori told Edmond to stop PMing him with his troubles got deleted! >_< :lol: I'm gonna ask him about it, that was great.
Point is, I titled that topic what I did specifically because I thought it would score me points with the Shmuppers. I was actually shocked to see people start to defend this site... that's one of those idiosyncrasies that keeps popping up about internet forums: You're constantly given that "the people here think X" due to casual comments in posts and its not until its advertised that you find the folks who will question it. Just what is the deal with that?
The "deal" is that ignorance of the sort you describe here, and frequently displayed elsewhere, is the mother of all fuckups. 3;

Absolute fantasist. "Liar" feels disproportionate to internet shenanigans, and yet not exotic enough for his antics. He posted this version of reality three fucking years after last contact with anyone involved, purely for narrative purposes. That is amusing to me! I am glad he does not live nearby. ¦3
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

"There's a sucker born every minute"
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/21/styl ... -flow.html

$5,000 marks, "flowing"
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Edmond Dantes wrote:I guess that's the real reason I posted here. You guys are right that I am insane. You just didn't know the extent of my insanity.
Well said Edmund, well said.

Who the fuck is Wasserkopp? If this guy is supposed to be my secret shmups alter-ego he better have comparably devastating use of the written word or I'll be very insulted.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Broke a fresh one of these out of its box recently. Looked at the date. Christ almighty!
Time flies when you're having fun :)
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Like a Boss.