Kickstarter projects of note

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Stevens

Re: Kickstarter projects of note

Post by Stevens »

My lord, I have come for you.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Turrican II Live Orchestra Album:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ch ... -huelsbec/
I think there are a few Turrican fans here :)
system11

Post by system11 »

Yeah, I'll probably back that one at the lowest tier that gets a physical CD. I've still got the musical box and vinyl from his original Turrican collection. I might sell the vinyl, the spare copy I got given sold for hundreds of euros back when it came out!

Probably taking the musical box to my grave, I haven't seen a single one go up for sale.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

jan svankmajer is crowdfunding via indiegogo for his final film

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... sects--4#/
a creature... half solid half gas
BIL

Post by BIL »

Glad to see he's over 90% of the way there. :smile: A true craftsman. Besides the superb Alice and Little Otik (mentioned on the page), I adore his adaptation of Faust.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Conspirators of Pleasure for the win.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... -vengeance

2D action-platformer where Castlevania's visual theme meets Gradius' power-up system. There's a playable demo available, and I had fun with it.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Not much time left on this one. Limited Run Games announced today that they are producing the physical boxset for the Sundered Kickstarter.
The CA$ 100 tier reward will include an outer box, OST, physical artbook, PC & PS4 physical discs, and a keychain.

I'm not familiar with the design group's work, but the game looks pretty dope and there is a lot of support for it.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Not sure if anyone else is into tabletop here, but as a huge fan of The Descent I had to back this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/it ... wards_page
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

New one: John Mambo
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... =discovery

This is a top-down, Ikari Warriors style game on Kickstarter and it has a demo.
I played the demo and loved it! It's very silly, tongue-in-cheek, jingoist shooting fun with some really corny gags. And I personally love the chunky weird art but may not be to all tastes.

The gameplay is pretty good too there's plenty to like: big wide, hand-drawn and designed maps. The levels have multiple ways to proceed through them, and the demo has this neat trick in the middle where a giant mountain 'recedes' as you pass through it. Lots of gorey, unique bad-guy deaths too.

There's some niggly stuff in there though like bullets from off-screen enemies, but I managed fine and still liked it. I also didn't like having to press-to-shoot constantly (no autofire) but I managed.
Demo warning: the menu's are weird! Using my 360 controller you actually has to use the right-stick to move the reticule. But after that it worked pretty well.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
system11

Post by system11 »

C64 classic Hunter's Moon getting a cart based remaster.

[url]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... escription[/url
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

system11 wrote:C64 classic Hunter's Moon getting a cart based remaster.

[url]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... escription[/url
Looks awesome. I hope they do an Armalyte. Nice to see them taking the time to nod back to the C64.
More Bromances = safer people
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Xenocrisis, a procedural take on Robotron / Smash TV / Alien Syndrome for Megadrive.

Includes physical cartridge and has lovely sprite art by Henk Nieborg (Lionheart, Flink, Contra 4):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... escription

Seems quite good already :)
X - P - B
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Looks pretty damn good.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Looks interesting, but mainly for the lovely Nieborg art. I'm tempted to get in, but I'm a bit cautious, because in my experience the term 'procedurally generated levels' far too often translates to 'too lazy to come up with good level design'. Still, I'm keeping an eye on this.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Herr Schatten wrote:Looks interesting, but mainly for the lovely Nieborg art. I'm tempted to get in, but I'm a bit cautious, because in my experience the term 'procedurally generated levels' far too often translates to 'too lazy to come up with good level design'. Still, I'm keeping an eye on this.
To be fair I kind of agree with you - I have one DC Kickstarter I may never see and I backed Xydonia last year. That will come out I'm sure, but I was done backing video games after that. If it gets backed I'll probably buy it.

EDIT - I stand corrected, it's backed:D
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I backed it. It's very rare to see ambitous homebrews like this, and that alone is a reason for me to support it as a fellow homebrewer.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Looks pretty good, anyway. I hope there's a control option to use a 6-button pad so you can fire in all directions using A,B,X and Y.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Herr Schatten wrote:Looks interesting, but mainly for the lovely Nieborg art. I'm tempted to get in, but I'm a bit cautious, because in my experience the term 'procedurally generated levels' far too often translates to 'too lazy to come up with good level design'. Still, I'm keeping an eye on this.
Yeah this is my issue with it. If anything, procedurally generated stages are surely going to be harder to get consistent level design out of. Your game will be..... sparse and tedious! Your next game will be..... literally impossible.

Also a year away. Burned by Sturmwind and saw what happened with Pier Solar. I see there's already a lower-cost Dreamcast version which is even further in the future, presumably bundled on a emulator rather than ported.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Sumez wrote:I backed it. It's very rare to see ambitous homebrews like this, and that alone is a reason for me to support it as a fellow homebrewer.
I remember them doing a convention whereby they used SGDK to make a simple hori Shmup a couple of years back; they only had like a day to work it out. I actually really like the arena shmup and The Chaos-Engine and Smash TV are faves of mine. I'll back this and they aren't asking for high-end top-dollar either so it's fine.

EDIT: backed. Groovy music with some nice drops. All the best to them. To be honest, I want to see so much manic action on screen that I'll be signed up for PTSD for the rest of my days :D
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:
Yeah this is my issue with it. If anything, procedurally generated stages are surely going to be harder to get consistent level design out of. Your game will be..... sparse and tedious! Your next game will be..... literally impossible.

Also a year away. Burned by Sturmwind and saw what happened with Pier Solar. I see there's already a lower-cost Dreamcast version which is even further in the future, presumably bundled on a emulator rather than ported.
If they gescrew it I dare say someone will rip their assets and sort the code out - it happens :wink: But these are veterans with sensibilities so let's give them a chance before the forum decimates them :D
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:How far did you play?

As early as the first "dungeon" there are quite a few rooms where you're forced to fight several waves of enemies before you can move on.

I couldn't tell you, honestly. I was having a hard time figuring out where to go, so I may just not have gotten to a proper dungeon.

I'll definitely give it another shot.
About Hyper Light Drifter:
I hadn't had a chance to play this since it came out. My computer died, and I got one that didn't have a dedicated graphics card, and just forgot about it (I have a gaming PC now...but still forgot about it). After playing some Iconoclasts, I was in the mood to check out another indi game, and bought this on PS4.
And...it's pretty darn good. My main complaint, back when, was "not enough enemies". Well, the dungeons do have a good amount of enemies, so my mind has changed on that. The game is very cryptic, which is kind of good and bad. But it's a pretty cool game.
I haven't finished it, but I have ran into A boss, and he beat my ass. The difficulty is a nice surprise.

I saw Heart Machine a long while back, and got the idea that they had some SJW/hipster tendencies (luckily the game is good, and has nothing like that in the game. I'll buy SJW game makers games, as long as they keep that crap to themselves.). Unfortunately, their next game has ZOE QUINN working on it. Blech!
http://www.heart-machine.com/our-team/

Anyone who puts her on a team is for a "point". A statement. She has no talent WHATSOEVER as game developer, in any regard. Oh well.
Even Phil Fish, who I ragged on quite a bit in another thread, has skill. I don't like what he's doing, but he has some talent.
Last edited by evil_ash_xero on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Took me far too long to deduct that the above post was about Hyper Light Drifter...
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Sumez wrote:Took me far too long to deduct that the above post was about Hyper Light Drifter...
I'll fix that. I didn't realize it wasn't in the quotes. I was in a rush.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ligh ... e-design#/

Not KS, but backed and cool. Been looking for something like this for a long time.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

I sorta like the Black Mirror look of that thing, but the whole higher ground purpose just loses me...aren't they just talking about not doing social media on your phone? I already don't do that with a big corporate iPhone.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

For those who haven't check out the game's dev thread, there is a kickstarter campaign for Wings of Bluestar, a 2D pixel-art hori shmup with pods and a shield : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/95 ... f-bluestar
There's also a one stage demo link on the KS page, to give us an idea of how it plays.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Gigantic corporate conglomerate Hasbro is running a kickblaster thing for their Heroquest reskin. Because, y'know, they just don't have the money to make the game themselves.

For $150 (if you live in the USA, nearly double in Canada) you can have a reskin of the basic game over one year from now, and for an extra $50 you can get some expansion content on top of that.

It's a ludicrous pricepoint to me, since they're asking a price that's in the same league as ginormous games with tons more content. Imo, one of the best things about Heroquest was it cost $45. Eh, at least it's not going to go the same way the 25th anniversary debacle went. The backers know what they're getting and should be happy with it.
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

The stretch goals are hilarious. 1,4 million and you get 6 extra dice :roll: