Fire Lancer - Hot-Blooded Wonder Shooting - DEMO: DEC.25

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Yohanov

Re: Fire Lancer - Hot-Blooded Wonder Shooting

Post by Yohanov »

Are you guys back at it or is it still in stand-by?

I always manage my expectations with these kind of projects but it's still one of my most anticipated games for 2018 (or 19 20 21... lol)
ryu

Post by ryu »

Yohanov wrote:Are you guys back at it or is it still in stand-by?

I always manage my expectations with these kind of projects but it's still one of my most anticipated games for 2018 (or 19 20 21... lol)
Protip: Don't expect anything at all out of hobby projects.

These things can get canned anytime, no matter how reliably the author(s) may seem to you.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Ain't canned, I've been periodically poking on it a bit lately. ptoing's out of action due to medical issues right now.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Indeed, this is not canned, and I will do anything in my power to see this project through, because it is fucking awesome!

As far as medical goes, I am fine now. But I need to get other things out of the way to be able to get back to it. Which should be fairly soon.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Y'all can take your sweet time with this, I've got endless patience to see this game good.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

We're back in action, and now there's a slack. http://goo.gl/sqZUKf

Also some new videos:
New zamenhof bomb: http://youtu.be/oCMqi61xkA4
New boss explosion: http://youtu.be/JBGkg6MAUnk
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
KAI

Post by KAI »

I completely missed this, so glad to see it's still alive.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

By the way, we'll be at Stunfest, with both WonderSwan and arcade versions to play. Maybe I'll run a mini-tournament or something :)
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Since when did this have an arcade version?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
mamboFoxtrot

Re: Fire Lancer (WIP)

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

since the previous page :)
trap15 wrote:Redid my Windows "port" (it's obscenely bare, not something to play on), so I slapped in my JVS code and presto, Fire Lancer on Taito Type X2!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

It's been worked on more since then, but it's a demonstration piece really. I have no plan to release it. Gotta come to events to play it :)
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

trap15 wrote: I have no plan to release it. Gotta come to events to play it :)
Fire Lancer Suicide Club :P
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

It's not an arrangement, just a different way to play the same game. More convenient for getting play analytics too ;)
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Fire Lancer Matsuri Ver.

only 1 known copy

Already $10,000 in Collectopia Image
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
trap15

Post by trap15 »

We're just about ready for Stunfest, move strip and all!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Holy carp!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

HYPE! So looking forward to play it on a cab at Stunfest :D
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

Looks great and I hope everything goes well for you at the event.
I'm really badly frustrated that I can't go to stunfest. Would have loved to see firelancer, the exA-stuff and suicide club in action :x
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fuckin sexy Image
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

How much money would it take to consider porting this to CPS2 (running it on the multicart)?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Infinite, CPS2 is so dramatically different from either current target in so many ways that it's completely infeasible. The most realistic non-PC arcade version would be, perhaps amusingly, ST-V. Which I had partly intended to try, then decided I really didn't care that much. Besides, I'm only releasing a WonderSwan version :P
BIL wrote:Fuckin sexy Image
Means a lot coming from you :)
schleichfahrt wrote:Looks great and I hope everything goes well for you at the event.
I'm really badly frustrated that I can't go to stunfest. Would have loved to see firelancer, the exA-stuff and suicide club in action :x
Thanks! Maybe next time, or another event!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Particularly like REAL WAR btw, that's winning terminology worthy of the old JP greats :mrgreen:
Yohanov

Post by Yohanov »

pmp

Post by pmp »

Real War better have Garegga looking shots.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I already gave most of my feedback to trap IRL, but I'll still write it here so I don't forget and add some additionnal stuff. And if that can act as impressions for everybody else, it's also nice to have.

Overall, I really liked the game. The Thunder Dragon 2 influence is pretty strong, especially in Heavy Mode which is by far my favorite. The medal collecting system simply adds another layer of interactivity (like Dangun's discomen) that the other modes don't seemingly have. The enemy waves as well are very reminiscent of the TD2 design philosophy with lots of zako waves that put you in a groove, mixed with some tougher enemies to keep you on your toes.

Stage 2's difficulty in Heavy Mode seemed pretty well-balanced with a certain intensity in the enemy shots without them feeling overwhelming. It felt fun to dodge them and they made you feel like you are a good player.

I played the other difficulty modes a bit less, but they are also good. Light mode is obviously aimed at beginners and if you don't try to score, it can feel very basic and kinda dull when compared to Heavy mode because it doesn't have the medals. However, the proximity-based scoring keeps things interesting and you'll take a lot more risks so it shouldn't be ignored by more skilled players. Real War is just like its name indicates. The lack of medals isn't a problem here either since the patterns are already intense enough to keep you focused. Compared to Heavy Mode, these modes would greatly benefit from having their scoring systems feel more obvious when you play. For instance, I didn't even realize there was a proximity-based scoring in the Light Mode before I was given an explanation.

By the way, maybe the multipliers could have different colors depending on how high they are? Like, red for 5 to 4, then purple, orange, yellow and white. Or something like this. That's something I just thought of right now.

Graphics are great, especially in the Wonderswan version which looks extremely adorable but also extremely difficult to play with the console's buttons. Sound-wise though, I was less enthralled. Explosions didn't feel good enough. The Stage music had some...weird instruments and style. I know the circumstances behind the stylistic choices and the direction the composer usually goes for, but I wasn't convinced unfortunately. Maybe it sounds better in a less noisy environment and I simply wasn't able to pick up on some sound layers that would have made the BGM or the explosions pleasant to hear.

Good luck with the rest of the project (and especially with the weirdass glitch Feedbacker triggered :mrgreen: ) and I hope the Stunfest players' comments were very useful and motivating.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Thanks for the really detailed feedback! It's super useful, I'll see what I can do :)

I'm working on an update to the website as well as some new video content. I'll also try to give some play data statistics once I finish crunching the numbers, but they look extremely good at a glance. Something near 600 plays over the weekend. Thank you all for such a warm reception!
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Indeed. thanks for the feedback. It was really cool to see so many people play and enjoy the game in person.

Different colour multiplier numbers would be somewhat wasteful in terms of palettes (if using swapping) or wasteful in terms of tiles (if using baked colours) Atm the x5.0 one flashes red via palette swapping into an already existent fixed that works with it. So changing that might be tricky. I do want to optimise some of the palette layout for enemies, but I don't think that will work to free up stuff enough.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I am happy to help!

If changing the multiplier's color is too taxing for technical reasons, why not change the size of the multiplier and have a bigger font size for the higher multipliers? Something like Ketsui's boxes which become much bigger when you score well that instantly makes you want to get more of these big items to appear even if it is likely to kill you.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

That is potentially doable, but would also eat into sprite usage and tiles used for sprites, all of which is limited.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Wow, I had no idea the technical limitations could impact something as seemingly minor as this. When you can freely add stuff in PC game dev, you forget how it is to have such tight restrictions.
It's rather interesting to see how much it affects what you can do! I don't think I have any other trick off the top of my head to help with directly promoting the scoring in-game, but I am sure you already have ideas of your own.