Snes Mini CPUN pin 155 mod

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Syntax

Snes Mini CPUN pin 155 mod

Post by Syntax »

Just did a quick 3 wire RGB mod without 1.2k resistors, lifted pin 155 of the cpun and put a 20ohm resistor inline, power regulator upgrade to a L78S05 2A and a cap on the regulator.

The regulator killed the vertical white bar on comp on my LCD tv but there was still a dark bar where it was. The cap did nothing but it's a 220uf not 470uf so I'll need to test that.

Doing the pin 155 thing was not fun but I figured out an easy way.
I bent a thin spring straight and slid it behind the pins on the cpun till it was behind pin 155. I put some tension on the spring, got my soldering iron hot and dry and applied it to the pin. Ting! Came straight off the pad. Then I straightened the pin by placing a blade across the top of all the pins on that side to support it and stop it from bending at the chip.
That's the easy part.
Soldering a resistor to that pad is not. It's a weak trace.
I lifted It, soldered it to 154 then 156, finally got it free and decided to glue the resistor to the cpun and bend the legs to have 0 tension against the pin or trace then soldered in place. It's strong and got the job done.
I wired up RGB from the internal amp with 75 ohm resistors in series and skipped the 1.2k terminations.

Fired up the mini and was instantly impressed by nice bright writing with no ghosting.

Ryoandr

Re: Snes Mini CPUN pin 155 mod

Post by Ryoandr »

You don't need to connect the resistor to the same pad, there's a much easier +5v via near the top-right corner of the CPUN.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Ryoandr wrote:You don't need to connect the resistor to the same pad, there's a much easier +5v via near the top-right corner of the CPUN.
I wasn't sure if it was 5v or variable. Should of probably used the meter to check.
Thank you Ryoandr for pointing it out. I'll take a look.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I think you were refering to an SNES1 1chip.

The mini has the pads in opposite corners, yet to test which is 5v.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Ok did a quick continuity test around the CPUN on the mini, it seems these are viable places for 5v.

borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

You were just a few seconds quicker than I was. I wanted to suggest you the 5V plane one left hand side of the S-CPUN (your marking next to the "U1" label)
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I ended up choosing the via @ pin 121. Its only present on the mini board I think.
Tested and working, much neater and stronger. Thanks guys.

darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

Would resistor value on an phat snes 1chip still be 20ohms? Thinking it should be less sense for pulldown brightness mod phats use 750ohm and jr uses 1.2kohms.

Have a phat 1 chip with 20ohm on pin 155 and no pulldowns and 75ohm coming out of THS7316 rgb bypass amp. Brightness is too low or black levels rather. Crt test suite pluge screen can hardly see any of the bars.

Edit: Something is wrong with my amp chip I guess. Took it out and restored original amp feed and pluge looks much better now. Also put a 100 ohm pot in the s-cpun 155 pin and about 20 ohms is still good for phat snes.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

This is a depreciated mod.

You get a better result changing the input capacitor.
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

Is that the cap replacement fix that causes some Capcom games to have missing lines at the top?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Yeah, C11 I think.
Causes black bars on some games instead of a fade in/out.
There are patched versions of some of those games available.
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

I've briefly read over the thread of fbx's c11 cap fix. Is there a reason that method is better besides the difficulty compared to pin 155 mod?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

darknezz19 wrote:I've briefly read over the thread of fbx's c11 cap fix. Is there a reason that method is better besides the difficulty compared to pin 155 mod?
the cap fix is simply more effective, the relative difficulty is immaterial
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

Like what? Does it take away ghosting while not affecting brightness? Glitches seem like a drawback.