Question: Strikers 1945 II... Saturn vs. PS1

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
The Coop

Question: Strikers 1945 II... Saturn vs. PS1

Post by The Coop »

Sorry to make another thread so fast, but this is a question that's been bugging me for quite some time... and this evening I was reminded of it.

We all know that the Saturn got Strikers 1945 II, and that the Playstation got it as well (though it was called "Strikers 1945" by Agetec in The States for whatever reason).

I know the Saturn version has slowdown in it, something the PS1 version corrected most of. However, are there any other major differences between the Saturn and PS1 versions of Strikers 1945 II? Does one have more animation/levels/extras than the other, or are they nearly identical in every way? I've been trying to find info on this, and thus far, I've come up mostly empty handed.

I figured if there's anywhere that this question could be asked, it's here. :lol:
jormungand

Post by jormungand »

I have heard the ps1 version is better, but not to derail the topic, but how does either compare to the pcb?
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Or you could go the Psikyo Shooter Collection Volume 1 route, and get both Strikers 1945 and Strikers 1945 II for ~$30 on the PS2. My copy hasn't come in yet, but the Shooter Collection Volume 2 (Sengoku Ace and Blade) are amazing. They seem arcade perfect to me.
CIT

Post by CIT »

I heard the Saturn version is better, if I remember correctly theres no tate mode on PSX, although maybe I'm getting it confused with Gunbird?

Anyway, the PS2 collection is great too, although if you care about arcade perfect screen display you will wanna go with one of the old versions, since the PS2 Psikyo collections only display in interlaced mode.
llabnip

Post by llabnip »

CIT wrote:I heard the Saturn version is better, if I remember correctly theres no tate mode on PSX, although maybe I'm getting it confused with Gunbird?
I own Strikers II for both the Saturn and PSX. The Saturn port is quite good - very playable and enjoyable. However, the PSX rev comes in 1st for several minor factors. The Japanese PSX port has TATE in all its glory (same as the Saturn port) but looks a bit sharper in spots (water effects are nicer, cloud effects are nicer - less dithered), music and sound effects seem a bit more full and the PSX port has less slowdown (mind you, the Saturn rev only slows down at some Boss areas so this is pretty minor). At one time I did timings of various levels but it was hard to match-up with slightly different runs and the old Psikyo shuffle of the first four levels - but both timing-wise and in typical play perception it was obvious that the Saturn port was a bit slower whereas the PSX port would run smoother.

The PS1 US version of Strikers 1945 II (aka "Strikers 1945") does remove the TATE option but is otherwise a solid port.

I haven't played the Arcade cab in years - once I got these home ports, I didn't spend another quarter. Both are excellent - either port will be enjoyable as the differences are pretty minor. If you need TATE, stay away from the US rev unless someone discovers a TATE gameshark code for the game (as someone did last year for Raiden Project - the US version can be played perfectly in TATE mode with correct controller layout... nice!).

Having said all of that, I generally play the Saturn port because I love the Saturn controller and find myself playing the Saturn a bit more than my PSX (though I enjoy both consoles). The very minor graphical, sound and slowdown issues as compared to the PSX aren't enough to stop it from being highly enjoyable.

I also own both Gunbirds for the PSX and Saturn - and the while the PSX port is good, it lacks TATE and combined with several other minor factors the Saturn port is the one to get.
llabnip - DaveB
Once more the light shines brightly in sector 2814.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

apart from all the differences in gameplay. it should be noted that there was a Simple release of Strikers Part 2. so prices on this usually don't exceed $15, where-as the saturn release is usually double that (or more).
I have no sig whatsoever.
Neon

Post by Neon »

SS port lacks transparencies and has more pixelated explosions, though the reason I'm going to tell you to skip over it is that it's got game-breaking slowdown on the ships level...God forbid you get that as 1-4, and forget about the second loop. So jerky it's really hard to medal and survive. It's also more expensive than the jpsx version. Now that the Saturn pad is out for ps2, there's no reason to own it. None.

Of course, if you want better sound, gameplay, and visuals than the Strikers series, go for Raiden DX.
SAM

Post by SAM »

The PSOne version is overclocked.

While the Saturn version is closer in speed to the PCBs it got a lot of sudden slowdown and speed up again....

You have to get a PCB....
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
landshark

Post by landshark »

Neon wrote: Of course, if you want better sound, gameplay, and visuals than the Strikers series, go for Raiden DX.
And buy about 5 or 6 controllers as you are going to twist them in half in frustration. (Raiden DX is a great game, but infuriating).
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

landshark wrote:
Neon wrote: Of course, if you want better sound, gameplay, and visuals than the Strikers series, go for Raiden DX.
And buy about 5 or 6 controllers as you are going to twist them in half in frustration. (Raiden DX is a great game, but infuriating).
yeah, and buy a helmet as well. just in case you feel the urge to beat yourself about the head with said controller afterwards...
I have no sig whatsoever.
Cranky

Post by Cranky »

I just picked up a Pal copy of Strikers 1945 II and it does have a tate mode. When I first booted the game up I was dissapointed that tate didn't seem to be supported.

There are three modes: original 1, original 2 and arcade. Turns out that arcade mode is really tate mode. :D
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

If i were you I'd get the import ps1 version and play it in tate mode. It's not worth the extra money getting the PCB, theres no difference regarding gameplay. Stay away from the saturn version though! from the little I've played of it the slowdown totally ruins the game.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Thanks for the input guys, especially llabnip.

I went out after dinner and found a copy of Agetec's PS1 version. Sure, it has no TATE mode, but it was $5, still sealed, and from what's been said, the better of the two system ports overall. So, I got it. And now, I'm off to play it... again.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I have the pal copy of the PSX version os Strikers II too, and I can recommend it. It only serious drawback is that it doesn't have a hi-score table.

It's nost just that it doesn't save, it does NOT HAVE A HI-SCORE TABLE. When the game is over, it shows your score and that's all, no initials, no score table , nothing.
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

The Coop wrote:Thanks for the input guys, especially llabnip.

I went out after dinner and found a copy of Agetec's PS1 version. Sure, it has no TATE mode, but it was $5, still sealed, and from what's been said, the better of the two system ports overall. So, I got it. And now, I'm off to play it... again.
Where did you get it??
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

doctorx0079 wrote:
The Coop wrote:Thanks for the input guys, especially llabnip.

Where did you get it??
Electronics Boutique.

They may have gotten rid of all their 16-bit stuff recently, but they still hang on to every PS1 game (good or horrifically bad) like they're made of precious metals.
llabnip

Post by llabnip »

The Coop wrote:I went out after dinner and found a copy of Agetec's PS1 version. Sure, it has no TATE mode, but it was $5, still sealed, and from what's been said, the better of the two system ports overall. So, I got it. And now, I'm off to play it... again.
Great pickup for a fiver! The Original 1 mode is rebalanced nicely - I often play that on my larger non-TATE TV. Anyway, you got a ton of game for your money - Strikers 1945 II is my 3rd all-time favoriate game (right behind Strikers 1945 I and Radiant Silvergun). I can't even count the hours I've put into it or the enjoyment I've gotten out of it (I ran the high score list here for a couple years until the most recent shmups forums relocation). Enjoy!
llabnip - DaveB
Once more the light shines brightly in sector 2814.
PC Engine Fan X!

I have 1st print run of Japanese Psikyo Strikers 1945-II...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

During my travels in Japan back in 2000, I managed to pick up a brand new sealed minty fresh 1st print edition version of the original Psikyo Japanese PSX game of Strikers 1945-II for 5,800 yen. It was indeed the very last copy at the Japanese video game shop that I bought it from...so yes, I was at the right place at the right time to get it. ^_~

The original 1st print run Japanese PSX version of Strikers 1945-II features a very different strikingly cool front cover design from the Simple 2000 re-release version (which is really bland looking, btw).

A full set of FMV clips are available for viewing of all the player's aircrafts + enemy aircraft as well.

The Agetech USA released version of Strikers 1945 doesn't have the original TATE mode nor does it have the FMV clips of the original 1st print run edition of Strikers 1945-II from Psikyo themselves.

High score saving and high score ranking list are present in both versions of Japanese & USA PSX versions of Strikers 1945-II & Strikers 1945 respectively.

The original 1st print run of JPN PSX Strikers 1945-II has the original "opening eye-catch attraction opening scene" that was shown in the original Psikyo arcade Jamma PCB version of the same name whereas in the Agetech version, that feature has been axed out.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
raiden

Post by raiden »

The PSOne version is overclocked.
While the Saturn version is closer in speed to the PCBs it got a lot of sudden slowdown and speed up again....
You have to get a PCB....
This applies to Dodonpachi, but Strikers 1945 II runs faster on PCB than on PSone. The PSone version has slowdowns, not as many as the Saturn version, but still some, especially in stages 6-8. It´s still an excellent port, but it´s not superior to the Saturn version in every way, as the Saturn version has better sound. Another thing that´s different is the hitzone. Saturn has the largest, PSone is noticeably smaller, PCB is just a tiny bit smaller than PSone. Only looking at tate modes.
It's not worth the extra money getting the PCB, theres no difference regarding gameplay
The difference is there, but it´s so small you shouldn´t bother unless you´re an obsessed fan of the game, especially considering the price difference.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Just got out my Saturn copy of the game (as I am a former obsessed fan) and it does have better loadtimes on the menu's, that's it. Have to disagree with Raiden completely, sound is downsampled while PSX retains full clarity.

Still don't know how the slowdown can be classed as a minor thing given the ships level, and the later levels. It affects playability in a big way. Not too bad on PSX though, certainly no reason to get the PCB unless you're big into graphics.

I'd still regard strikers 1 and 2 as Raiden DX's poorer cousins - medal placement seems really random in comparison to DX and there's a lot less depth. Fun games though.

$25 shipped for the SS port, btw.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Neon wrote:Still don't know how the slowdown can be classed as a minor thing given the ships level, and the later levels. It affects playability in a big way.
That's what I said. The SS version's slowdown really affect gameplay in later levels.
Neon wrote:Not too bad on PSX though, certainly no reason to get the PCB unless you're big into graphics.
Well, altrough the PSX version got no slowdown, it overclocked. The bullets got too fast in later levels under default difficulty... If knock down the difficulty level, you got less bullets... :?

If you are into later stages or 2nd loop, you really need to get a PCB. And a PCB of this game is not very costly actually, I got one for $69 from a local seller recently. :o
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
WW3

Post by WW3 »

What about the first game though, Strikers 1945? Is this also slightly better played on a Playstation?
Ah, all these cross-platform ports are a nightmare lol.
What would would be sweet, is some kind of defintive PS1 Vs SS list of which STG (that is available on both systems) plays the best!

In The Hunt, Donpachi & DDP, Gradius, Parodius... and then stuff like Soukyogurentai and Thunderforce V, which although both have 3D components, are supposed to have better conversions on the Saturn (which isn't supposed to outperform the Playstation in that area!).
All very tricky for the discerning buyer, but yeah, I would like to know about the 1st Strikers game please, as I always assumed it was superb on the Saturn and never considered getting the PS1 version (again, I *assume* the PS2 collection edition is the weakest link, if you can't even save the scores!).
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Actually Strikers 1945 has slowdown on Playstation and it's much much harder to come by than it's Saturn rival. I got the PS Strikers since I have an import Playstation and that I'd rather own the uncommon one anyways.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

WW3 wrote:In The Hunt
IIRC the PS1 version is supposed to be better (less slowdown?), though I haven't compared them myself.
Donpachi & DDP
PS1 versions look and sound better, Saturn versions have more slowdown (though only really obvious in DP), but also a few extra features the PS versions lack.
Gradius, Parodius...
Most of the Konami "deluxe packs" got pretty good ports on both Saturn and PS1, though the latter ones are usually harder to find and more expensive.
...and then stuff like Soukyogurentai
PS1 version has some extra stuff (new ship, etc.), but inferior graphics and lots more slowdown. Saturn version (I think) has extra sound tests for other Raizing games, and the "Otokuyo" re-release has a 1-stage demo of Battle Garegga.
...and Thunderforce V
Saturn has better graphics, PS1 version has a few extras.

I think the above is all more or less correct...
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

BulletMagnet wrote:
...and then stuff like Soukyogurentai
PS1 version has some extra stuff (new ship, etc.), but inferior graphics and lots more slowdown. Saturn version (I think) has extra sound tests for other Raizing games, and the "Otokuyo" re-release has a 1-stage demo of Battle Garegga.
I think the Otokuyo re-release also has the extra ship.. doesn't?
BulletMagnet wrote:
...and Thunderforce V

I have both versions.

Saturn version has batter graphics, but also has more slowdowns. I don't remeber noticing slowdonw in the PSX version at all, while in the Saturn version it does slowdown in a lot of places.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Shatterhand wrote:I think the Otokuyo re-release also has the extra ship.. doesn't?
No, 'fraid it doesn't. It's not all that big of a loss though, as it's a lot more powerful than any of the other ships, to the point of being cheesy; it pretty much renders the other selections obsolete, since its web attacks outdo them in power, range, and scoring potential.
Saturn version has batter graphics, but also has more slowdowns. I don't remeber noticing slowdonw in the PSX version at all, while in the Saturn version it does slowdown in a lot of places.
I've heard others say that, but honestly I never noticed much slowdown in the Saturn version at all...guess I need to play it more.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Shatterhand wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:
...and Thunderforce V

I have both versions.

I have both as well, and from what I remember, both games have slowdown, just in different places respectively.
lawnspic

Post by lawnspic »

You know, people always said the saturn was a sprite pusher and the ps1 was a polygon monster. Now look at RS on sat and look at strikers on ps1, what a role reversal. But then the ps1 had nothing on sat running capcom fighters with or without the cart, go figure. i think the sat has more internal ram than the psx. with that said i believe those ports were rushed due to programing difficulties with the sat as compared to the psx, but i will give snk credit with there port of metal slug x on psx(though animations were lost) after the horrible metal slug 1 port(pausing helicopter explosions anyone) that sat version blows away that one and the did it with 1 meg extra ram. anyway im rambling

Oh yeah Souky on sat destroys the psx version in every aspect. Anyone who thinks different if shot. Thats an ST-V game what the hell do you thing a sat is anyway? i rest my case

Dreamcast-NAOMI
Saturn-ST-V Titan
Ps1-Namco system11

All are watered down version of there arcade counterparts
it290

Post by it290 »

The PS1 definitely wasn't a slouch when it came to 2d. The only thing holding it back was lack of RAM. Other than that it probably had as much sprite pushing power as the Saturn, if not more.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
lawnspic

Post by lawnspic »

it290 wrote:The PS1 definitely wasn't a slouch when it came to 2d. The only thing holding it back was lack of RAM. Other than that it probably had as much sprite pushing power as the Saturn, if not more.
Yeah that is true, i know i will get flamed but i was always partial to TFV perfect system over the sat version, But RS is a sight to behold on a system that lacked really good poly graphic capabilitys. This was a programming isssue working with those two chips on the sat for some developers, and since RS was a direct port it was cake for treasure since being based on the same hardware. BTW how many ST-V ports were there for sat besides Baku, Souky, and RS(cant remember the rest)