Hi,
Nickname Takki
Support MD Jap
Score 1 264 000
Screen
GGA_HAN

Re: Thunder Force 3 & Thunder Force AC

Post by GGA_HAN »

Looks like my mania score was possibly overlooked...
GGA_HAN wrote:Here's a Mania difficulty run for Genesis / MD, did this on a US Genesis with an Everdrive cart:

HAN - 6,701,900 - Haides - Genesis / MD

replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBdsEaQgSU
Last edited by GGA_HAN on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
takki

Post by takki »

hi thx for my score
sorry for my bad english
i m french
Last edited by takki on Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takki

Post by takki »

Thunder Force III Normal
Takki - 1 306 700 - Haides - Genesis/MD

Esper

Post by Esper »

Thunder Force III Normal
Esper - 1 122 660 - Hydra - Genesis/MD

I'm either going to get better at this game or give up entirely
I'm shit at shmups and have zero valuable scores. Currently trying to learn Mushihimesama 1.5 Maniac (May 23, 2017). I have dreams of enjoying video games again.
GGA_HAN

Post by GGA_HAN »

Can I formally request the the Saturn scores be separated from the GEN/MD scores for ThunderForce 3?

They are not comparable due to differences in gameplay which allow higher scores to be possible. The top 2 GEN/MD scores are incredible, and it would take a video for me to believe that they could be beaten on a genesis/megadrive cart. Not sure about ThunderForce AC, would like to know what others have found about the saturn version in regard to scoring.

Also, looks like my score hasn't been added to the ThunderForce AC table, as well - can this please be added?
GGA_HAN wrote:might as well post my Thunder Force AC world version score, before I forget!

HAN - 2,314,590 - ALL - PCB (World)

No autofire used in this run, if that matters.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

GGA_HAN wrote:Can I formally request the the Saturn scores be separated from the GEN/MD scores for ThunderForce 3?

They are not comparable due to differences in gameplay which allow higher scores to be possible. The top 2 GEN/MD scores are incredible, and it would take a video for me to believe that they could be beaten on a genesis/megadrive cart. Not sure about ThunderForce AC, would like to know what others have found about the saturn version in regard to scoring.

Also, looks like my score hasn't been added to the ThunderForce AC table, as well - can this please be added?
GGA_HAN wrote:might as well post my Thunder Force AC world version score, before I forget!

I'll add this shortly. I'm online every day but I've been busy. Will get it done this weekend, thank you.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

GGA_HAN wrote:Can I formally request the the Saturn scores be separated from the GEN/MD scores for ThunderForce 3?

The Saturn version of Thunder Force AC has broken scoring. You can farm the stage 4 boss missiles for instance, which is impossible in the arcade version as they give no points. I don't believe the bosses time out (or if they do it's a very long time) so it might be possible to counterstop the game in the Saturn version. Also the saturn versions gives far more points for certain enemies than the arcade version, and the scores will be much higher in general when casually playing that version compared to the arcade version.

Also, the World and Japan versions of TF AC should also be broken up, item placement and number of enemies are both different between versions and the scores are not comparable. I can't say for certain because I haven't put much time in the World version but my guess is the scoring potential is slightly lower than the Japanese version, mainly due to having fewer enemies. However, a huge part of your score is from picking up items, and I'm not sure which version has more item drops, so take that with a grain of salt.

I talked about all of this a while back but no changes were made to the tables so they aren't accurately ranked due to all these differences.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

The table has been revamped and updated. PM me if there are errors or omissions.

My main objection to further breaking down the tables was there weren't enough scores submitted to warrant the distinction. Its noted theres a difference at the suffix of each score anyway, but if it somehow helps I figured why continue on with the discontent so its split now for good.
GGA_HAN

Post by GGA_HAN »

Limbrooke wrote:The table has been revamped and updated. PM me if there are errors or omissions.

My main objection to further breaking down the tables was there weren't enough scores submitted to warrant the distinction. Its noted theres a difference at the suffix of each score anyway, but if it somehow helps I figured why continue on with the discontent so its split now for good.
Thank you, very much appreciated!
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Limbrooke wrote:The table has been revamped and updated. PM me if there are errors or omissions.
:P
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 9#p1170289
GGA_HAN

Post by GGA_HAN »

If you decide to do a Thunder Spirits table:

Thunder Spirits (Normal):
HAN - 2,365,690 - ALL/1LC - SNES (no autofire)

replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjsVspPJmOA
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Thunder Force AC
maximo - 2,187,020 - ALL - MAME(World)

No-miss till final boss
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Thunder Force III - Normal

Perikles - 1,303,190 - Haides - Genesis/MD

I'd try to achieve a better score, but in 95% of my runs, the midboss in Seiren refrains to show up, meaning I irrevocably miss out on 4,500 points. No clue what could be causing it. :? Also not sure whether this thread is still updated, mysteries abound!
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Perikles wrote:Thunder Force III - Normal

I'd try to achieve a better score, but in 95% of my runs, the midboss in Seiren refrains to show up, meaning I irrevocably miss out on 4,500 points. No clue what could be causing it. :? Also not sure whether this thread is still updated, mysteries abound!
All scores are updated now.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Is that the water level? It seems they carried that same bug over to the arcade version as well. I can't tell you how many resets I had to do in my runs because of that damn bug.
Perikles wrote:Thunder Force III - Normal

Perikles

Post by Perikles »

pegboy wrote:Is that the water level? It seems they carried that same bug over to the arcade version as well. I can't tell you how many resets I had to do in my runs because of that damn bug.
The very same. And I'm not even exaggerating when I claim that the guy doesn't show up for 95% of the time, I've only ever seen him three times or so in my runs. Looking through the thread, I don't seem to be the only one:
Battletoad wrote:Could have been better, somehow the midboss on Seiren didn´t appear... what the hell? :shock:
Looks like I'm inadvertently doing something that effectuates him not showing up - if I had never seen him whatsoever, I'd chalk that up to some weird console/game interaction or a bad ROM on my Everdrive, but he does appear once in a blue moon, so it's not like he's entirely absent. Frustrating, that.
blossom

Post by blossom »

I haven't played the game much in a couple years, but I don't recall having this issue with the Seiren midboss. What's your starting stage? Maybe for some reason that has something to do with it. I made Seiren my first stage for hard and maniac modes.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Damn that is brutal. I want to say the arcade version is only like 1/4 games that the midboss doesn't show up. I really wonder what causes this bug, it certainly seemed completely random to me but the fact that you get it that frequently makes me wonder if ithere's something you can do to trigger it.
Perikles wrote:
pegboy wrote:Is that the water level? It seems they carried that same bug over to the arcade version as well. I can't tell you how many resets I had to do in my runs because of that damn bug.
The very same. And I'm not even exaggerating when I claim that the guy doesn't show up for 95% of the time, I've only ever seen him three times or so in my runs. Looking through the thread, I don't seem to be the only one:
Battletoad wrote:Could have been better, somehow the midboss on Seiren didn´t appear... what the hell? :shock:
Looks like I'm inadvertently doing something that effectuates him not showing up - if I had never seen him whatsoever, I'd chalk that up to some weird console/game interaction or a bad ROM on my Everdrive, but he does appear once in a blue moon, so it's not like he's entirely absent. Frustrating, that.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

blossom wrote:What's your starting stage?
Always Haides since I would assume this is the optimal start for scoring. I should take a look at Sensato Kurai's run which evidently proves that you can get great scores with a different origin stage.
pegboy wrote:Damn that is brutal. I want to say the arcade version is only like 1/4 games that the midboss doesn't show up. I really wonder what causes this bug, it certainly seemed completely random to me but the fact that you get it that frequently makes me wonder if ithere's something you can do to trigger it.
I took a handful of outlandish measures such as entering the stage with no shield or one that is on its last hit, I also tried using different weapons throughout the stage, to no avail. If there is an explanation outside of some technical issue, I'm going to guess it might have to do something with a global timer or such - maybe I'm killing bosses fairly consistently at the same time which causes this midboss to not spawn. I might attempt to draw out a battle to see what happens.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Thunder Force AC - Nintendo Switch - World

I just got a 0.5 ms response time gaming monitor, noticeable improvement from the HDTV I was using. Beat my old best score by half a million literally on my first run with it.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

I don't really know where to post this, but in case people miss this: there's a new world record for this game (2,415,130) by a Japanese player. t appears his theoretical best is 2,417 million pts. and he keeps going to get closer to that number in real play.

https://twitter.com/HstSpt/status/1363022763590438915

Will you be back, PEG?
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Aww, finally someone from Japan started playing the game haha. I do own the PCB now so this might give me an excuse to play it again, but it's been almost 5 years since I've touched the game at all.

My main issue with playing the game is that parts of it appear to be random in how many enemies spawn (stage 6) and grinding out runs for what seems to solely rely on good RNG was not fun. That combined with the damn bug of the stage 3 midboss not appearing really dampen my desire to chase scores in the game again.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Damn a rare Western WR stolen! :shock: As long as nobody takes ben shinobi's score on Shinobi . . . His play on that game blows my mind.

That's too bad about the random elements, especially that midboss. Anyone know if the Switch version behaves in the same way? With that version you can also compete for scores with the added extra ships. One of them plays quite differently as it has an Image Fight style speed up back burst where you can assign auto to speed change and defeat enemies that way.

At least it's not as random as Darius Gaiden's totally random medals that result in huge point swing based entirely on luck. I was thinking about this kind of randomness and considering if it's total bullshit or not. One way of thinking about it is that it may provide an extra way to differentiate the best player. In the sense that the most consistent player will eventually reach the highest score as it's unlikely that a player who has only done one or two perfect runs will get a new WR. Also it adds pressure and nerves when you can see that you are on a rare run. At least that's the charitable point of view. The other is that it's flat out unfair.
takki

Post by takki »

Takki TF AC pcb Japan Hardest
2 243 040

Pcb world exist?

ADM

Post by ADM »

Thunder Force AC - Normal
ADM - 1380620 - ALL - Switch (World)
DMC

Post by DMC »

Thunder Force AC - Normal
DMC - 2247670 - ALL - Switch

One-life clear. Played "Old" version, not sure about what's different in "New"?
Bought it in European Eshop, so I presume it is World version.

I like this game more than TF IV, but Blade is a much cooler weapon than Sever.
First two stages are so-so tbh (there's too little stuff to do in the first one), but after that the game is great!
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Thunder Force AC
Angry Hina - 1,438,970 - ALL - Switch (does it mean, its the world version?)

https://youtu.be/-N4bQNSHPa0
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Oh, this one was better :D

Thunder Force AC
Angry Hina - 2,259,550 - ALL / 1LC - Switch (does it mean, its the world version?)

https://youtu.be/O2Vhf9JSuiU
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

I've played the "old" version in the options so it was the japanese version. So its:

Thunder Force AC
Angry Hina - 2,259,550 - ALL / 1LC - Switch (japan)